What should I get my grandchild for their birthday?

My very first grandbaby is turning 1 October 5th. As a grandmother what should I get him? I have no clue if I should get something special or just something typical like toys or something. I need ideas

6 Likes

All of my kids got this and it kept them busy for years. I seen them at Walmart or target

We have one for my younger grandchild. He absolutely loves it

I think it depends on the parents and what you want to start doing for him. I think one of of the best gifts is to start them a bank account! That way you and whoever else can add funds for every birthday and holiday and get them a little gift if you want but by the time they turn 25 (or whenever) they will be really grateful and it will really help them jump start their future!

4 Likes

I’m not a grandmother yet, but I buy my nieces and nephews a couple stocks in Coca Cola or US savings bonds plus a plush toy or something like that! Never too early for them to start saving. If the parents are struggling, cash is king!

1 Like

My parents got my daughter a really nice covered wagon so we could go for walks in the neighborhood and then got her a personalized little license plate for the back of it. It was great for all of us! And then for Christmas at 17 months old, they got her a kitchen set, which was a huge hit. 

I would ask mom and dad what they prefer. Especially if there’s a party happening babies tend to get a lot of gifts. I know grandparents like to get “big gifts”. A new car seat is a good gift if they haven’t upgraded it yet. Or maybe offer to help pay for the party?

2 Likes

Ask his mom what he likes/needs… My granddaughter just turned one and she needed pants and socks and I got a couple cute long sleeve shirts and her favorite snacks :yum:

A savings account. A box full of bows.

I always get educational toys like Leap Pad. And an outfit.

A box , she will figure it out

We got our first grandchild the loudest toy we could find.:rofl::rofl:But we had a back up present of a pink ride on bike .:blush:

1 Like

We got our first granddaughter a pink radio flyer tricycle. For the second granddaughter a pink radio flyer wagon.
And for the third, a grandson a strider learning bicycle. This way we can save them forever and they can use them for their children if they choose.

Ask his parents if they have a gift registry or if there is something he needs , also ask them who’s his favorite cartoon character.

Honestly I opened all my Grandkids a savings account so when there 18 there is money

1 Like

start a bank account and add to it when you can. a one year old has no clue if you gave a gift or not

I suggest asking the parents what the baby needs, at 1 it is just another day. But you could start a savings account adding to it on birthdays, and holidays give them the account for their highschool graduation. Maybe get a nice family portrait done, do one a year saving a larger one for when he is old enough to appreciate it.

I would ask their parents if they have any special requests.

Something to push to help walk, ball play pit, bubble making machine, lights-sounds-music, baby tents and tunnels

I add $100 to each of my grandchildren’s college accounts each birthday and Christmas. If they don’t have a college account, set one up for them.