What should we do with the bigger bedroom?

I would explain to the older daughter that she wouldn’t want to be stuck in a tiny room when a bigger one was available. Tell her that she’s always welcome, but her old room is not a shrine. It’s a bedroom and needs to be used. Move her things into the smaller room and arrange them so that when the older daughter visits, she has a place to sleep.

3 Likes

The girls gone move her stuff into the boys room n his into her old room. Sorted!! She don’t make the rules you do! Xx

1 Like

Is the child that is moving out going to continue to pay ‘room and board’ for her old room? If she wants to keep her old room, she can rent it. Other than that, time to shift rooms for sure.

1 Like

Smaller room to store stuff it’s not fair to the 15 year old
Other one don’t pay bills and you are the parents .!!! No excuses if she comes back to move in she gets smaller room . !!!

1 Like

I would leave it for a little while I guess what your daughter is thinking of is what happens If things don’t work out and she decides to come home?

Move that girls stuff out of the room, she’s not there it’s going to be used for someone that is!!! Simple!

She’d be moving her things to the smaller room period. She’s moving out and your kind enough to store her things for free.

2 Likes

Stand the ground. Move the moving teens stuff to small room. Period. Why is this even a question?

3 Likes

I think your daughter moving out should pack up her stuff and put it in the smaller room she won’t be there so why be selfish
Other kid would be happier in a bigger room I’m sure
Talk to her and see why she doesn’t want to pack up her stuff
Maybe she can put it in storage if she doesn’t want it touched by anyone

I am sorry but I would never let my child dictate what happens in my home. She is moving out - she isn’t entitled to large spaces in your home anymore. This doesn’t mean you are being rude or unfair. You have other children you are still RAISING in the home that can benefit from the space. Put her stuff in the small room or storage and get on the same page with your husband because these types of disagreements that don’t have a logical thinking process aren’t healthy for your marriage. It sounds like he is holding onto emotion about her moving or playing favorites - either way it isn’t beneficial for your other children or your relationship.

Next oldest gets the bigger room and she can store her things in garage, attic or smaller room. She is on her journey to adulthood and the other sibling shouldn’t suffer

3 Likes

The girl moving out of the house who never paid any bills has zero say-so. Any of their items can be packed into bins (respectfully) and moved to the ‘closet room.’

Kind of insensitive to think that they still get to maintain their own empty room at a home they are leaving from….

6 Likes

I feel it should go to the teen that’s living in the small room. Adult shouldn’t have a choice after she moves.You take care of who’s in your home.

Nope nope… move out you moving out. Move things into smaller room allow the child that needs bigger room in it.

2 Likes

Store her furniture in the smaller room and let the next one have a chance to a bigger nicer room that’s only fair. The older girl seems to be a little selfish I dont know but that’s the way it seems to me good luck in your decision but it is your husband’s and your house isnt it

1 Like

Who’s house is it? Wanna avoid an argument now then do it when she leaves. Put all of her stuff in a storage or garage attic something but the argument will still be coming and may be worse if you go that route. You could always just say it’s my house this is what we are doing if you don’t like it then get your stuff. Otherwise it’s going to storage.

Stand my ground and switch the rooms once the bonus daughter leaves for another state :woman_shrugging: she will get over it

Pack her stuff up and store for her. Let the kid staying home have the bigger room.

1 Like

I would have the older daughter stuff packed up and put in the smaller room and give the home teen the bigger Room makes More sense then to leave a big room With all of her packed up stuff. the teen at home could do with some more space. Be the parent and do it anyway.dont allow the older daughter to have a say. it isn’t up to her what happens to her bedroom once she moves out.

Wouldn’t have even given the option, or left it up for discussion. But since she now thinks she has a say, I would ask if she wants to move the stuff herself, or y’all will do it once she leaves.

5 Likes

Move her stuff on out and grant the in home teen the room. Yall are the ones paying the bills. There should be no argument it’s.your house.

1 Like

Erm who’s house is this… When did we as parents feel the need to justify ourselves?

Nope pack it all up for storage in the tiny room so the bigger room will be available. That’s just selfish of her

1 Like

Definitely move the kid into the larger room. Put the other kids things in the small room.

4 Likes

I had to move out of the house because went to uni I was 21 and my step sister got my big room and I got box room. I was gutted but mama bear pays the bills so I basically had to suck it up xx hugs xx

The teen needs the bigger room the one who’s moved out needs to come spend a weekend to get all her stuff she doesn’t want donated & anytbing she wants but can’t take to leave in that small room & then anytbing she want and can take she can, or even see if maybe you could find a cheap storage place close to where she will be leaving so she can leave most things in that smaller room
& what doesn’t fit but she doesn’t wanna donate but can’t fit where she’s living she can put in a storage unit so the teenager can have their space bc as a teen they got the bigger space so the now teen of the home needs that space. When that teen moves then the last child that’s there can get the bigger room and the one small one and the other bed room cna be used as a room for them to stay when they come visit/keep their stuff in that’s not with them or in storage or Been given away

Just move all the stuff into the smaller room. It’s only fair that the at home team gets the room

3 Likes

It’s not your house, and you’re lucky we’re even storing your crap if that’s the attitude you try to have. It will be moved to where we need it to be in OUR house or you can take it with you now, end of story.

3 Likes

Pack her stuff n put in smaller room n give the teen the bigger bedroom xx

1 Like

Nope you move out not your room….time to pack it up and swap rooms….just trying to rule and dad obviously is being walked on…lol silly to think you can keep a room knowing a sibling has zero space….

5 Likes

Nope put it in storage absolutely ridiculous this room should be saved.

2 Likes

It’s not fair to have the child living at home stay in a smaller space if the larger room is being used as storage.

6 Likes

If the “adult moving out” is going on to be an adult then she needs to make the adult decision to either put her stuff in the tiny room or get a storage. The home teen shouldnt have to suffer.

10 Likes

Let her know she can either pack it up for the smaller room before she leaves, or it will be done for her. She is not the parent and it’s not her house. The children living there deserve to have normal size bedrooms.

9 Likes

it’s your house your rules she’s just being a pissy lil C&&T move her stuff when she leaves like F her who is she to tell what to do when she wont’ even b there

She wants to use the room like a storage locker make her rent it like one :woman_shrugging:t2: you really shouldn’t have ever given her a say in it to begin with. Your home, your rooms, your decision.

8 Likes

She isn’t going to live there anymore. What’s her problem? This is a normal part of life. She’s going to have to let go.

4 Likes

The house doesn’t belong to the girl moving out. It’s not fair to the teen to stay in a small room just to wait for the other girl to come move her stuff. You’re the adult. Tell her she either packs/moves her stuff before she leaves or it’ll be packed up by you after she leaves.

7 Likes

Yeah I agree with most people above… She’s not going to be there, there’s no reason her stuff shouldn’t go in the other room so that the other daughter living there can have her own space… Sounds like the oldest daughter is kinda mean fr. You’d think she’d gladly do that for her sis seeing she’s not going to be there? I understand not wanting to argue with her, but the other daughter having her space would be worth it.

5 Likes

Give the live in child the room!

3 Likes

Move her stuff in little room and move your daughter in bigger room period…

8 Likes

Hell naw pack her stuff and put her stuff in the small room tell them they need to get real and be more logical kid at home deserves an upgrade and there shouldnt have even been given a say for daughter moving out she is MOVING OUT

2 Likes

I’d give the daughter still there the bigger room. If the one that moved out isn’t there to use the room then it really shouldn’t be an issue.

4 Likes

When I started college my sister got my room and my stuff moved into her old one. The rest came with me when I got my first apartment and so on. That’s just life and I think it’s fair. I wouldn’t have considered it otherwise. The only thing that bothered me was she got to paint it and my mom never let me :joy: but I got to pick the carpet it and was hideous

1 Like

Give her a deadline. If you not back to get your stuff in 90 days I’ll pack it for you. Use the 90 days to get the younger teens decor and such

2 Likes

Move her stuff to small room other child as already had to deal with the same room it’s her turn to move on up

3 Likes

I would let her know I was planning to pack her stuff and then she has the option to pack her own stuff. But definitely I would be giving someone else their room.

3 Likes

Nopeeeee tell the one moving she will need to pack her stuff in keep and give away boxes before she moves and if she chooses not to than the room will all be boxed up as kept in a safe space until she’s ready to get them. It could take over a year and the oldest child needs to understand this.

4 Likes

It’s fine to switch rooms later on but she hasn’t even moved yet, she’s super young and your not 100% sure what will happen yet. I guess I’m just not understanding why you have to do it right away? What’s the rush? She isn’t even out lol she’s probably having a hard time with this change as it is. Slow down, stop arguing and things will work out.

3 Likes

Give the 15 year old the space. Tell hubby to get over it tell oldest shes moving and its now the second oldest room. If hubby has an issue with it still tell him where the doors at. The child\adult is moving its on

3 Likes

The teen at home should definitely get it…she’s there and needs her time and space and the older child gone doesn’t get to “keep” a room until she sees fit…ur the mom u make those decisions…

1 Like

I would stand my ground. Her stuff will still be there available for her to get. It’s not like you’re trashing it

2 Likes

Your solution is to switch rooms. Store her stuff in the other room and allow the older teen her own space.

2 Likes

This is a no-brainer. It’s not her decision to make. I personally would switch the rooms on my own when no one was home and let everyone get over it!

3 Likes

It’s time for your at home teen to have a bigger room. Older teen no longer has a say, in my opinion. You can store her stuff in smaller room.

5 Likes

I’d put daughter (that’s moving out) stuff in the small room and move the other daughter into the bigger room at the end of the day she’s not longer loving there so the room can be of use for the child that’s still loving at home

3 Likes

If she’s only using the room for storage, charge her for storage. It isn’t fair at all for the younger teen.

2 Likes

Who pays the mortgage??? Since when did kids have a say so! No one informed me of anything when I was under there roof. It was my parents house, apartment, dwelling whatever! NOT MINE!

4 Likes

She’s lucky to use your home as a storage unit for free lol. Ask her to pack her things before she leaves and once she actually moves out switch the rooms lol.

2 Likes

Pack the moving child’s stuff up store it in the smaller room and the home teen gets the bigger room.

Girl it’s your house. She doesn’t get a say in what you do with the rooms.

Nah bonus kids stuff can be stored in the smaller room. No reason the big room should only be for storage and also what about the teen? Why do they deserve the smaller room when a big on is literally not being used by anyone? Im mad for the teen lol

1 Like

It’s your house, not the teens. If you want your home teen to have the bigger room than move the others things into the smaller room.

1 Like

Give other child big room …Dad can get over it …Younger kid deserves

2 Likes

Really , just move the stuff till she comes to get it , why not . She is not going to live there ,

Switch rooms, not fair to your home teen.

That is YOUR house, she could move it or I’d move it for her, simple as that.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t ask permission. I would tell her what the plans are moving forward, and simply explain that it wouldn’t be fair to your siblings. A space will be maintained for her but it is unrealistic to keep the largest space unused .

1 Like

her stuff can move to storage regardless if she wants her stuff to stay where it is… unused space is a waste…

Bonus kid who moved out doesn’t get a say, sorry not sorry. It’s your house and you need to make it comfortable for those still living there…period. Pack her stuff and put it in storage (wherever that may be).

3 Likes

I think the teenager who is still at home should get the larger room once the other child has moved out & they’ve started school. You can either pack her stuff into boxes and keep them, or set it up nicely in the smaller room for when she’s home visiting. Her choice.

1 Like

Move her stuff to the other room and let your daughter at home move into the bigger room.

I would not change the rooms right away. And if you decide to please sit down your bonus daughter and discuss her feelings.

No room is worth an estrangement.

1 Like

No need for even a conversation about it. Pack the moving teens things neatly and store them for her and move the home teen in the room of their choice.

She should get the bigger room.

I would tell her it was only fair for it to be switched and give her the opportunity to pack everything/move everything over herself while she’s there, or you are going to do it. That way she has the chance for all her things not to be gone through. Other than that, home child should get the room. It just marks sense and is that fair thing to do :woman_shrugging:t2:

Are you serious? You actually have to ask about this? She’s moving out. Either she puts her stuff in a storage unit and pays for it herself or you decide. Once she moves out she loses claim on her room. I agree with everybody else. It’s your house. You make the decisions pack her stuff up and put it in the small room or do what I said and let her put it in a storage facility that she pays for

Switch rooms after she moves. It won’t ruin your last few days and then when she’s away she will be more concerned with her new life I doubt she will be mad more than a day . Also, it’s your house so Ibdont see where she even gets a say anyway

I would make the one that is moving, take the time to pack up her stuff in her room and then move her stuff to the smaller room and the one that is staying move into the bigger room.
If the one that is moving isn’t going to be back to get her stuff for a long time, there is no sense in all her things occupying a room that can be used.

2 Likes

Actual kid she be in that room, not stuff

The smaller room will hold all her gear when packed ready to take, and the younger one will appreciate inheriting the bigger room. Wanting to hod on to it for possibly 4 years while in College is just unfair.

1 Like

Your house your rules. How does your daughter who is moving out have a say? How selfish is she

2 Likes

My things were packed and put in storage and my old room turned into whatever my step mom wanted. It is what happens when children move out :woman_shrugging:

It’s YOUR house. If the daughter that is moving out wants to contribute to the mortgage and bills, she can have a say in what YOU choose to do with YOUR house. Period.

4 Likes

Once she moves out the room is fair game. Move the older sisters things into the smaller room for time being. Give bigger room to the daughter that will be living there

5 Likes

The teen staying home should get the bigger room. The daughter moving out can have her stuff moved into the smaller room. It doesn’t make sense to have that room unoccupied when someone would appreciate the space.

2 Likes

Nope… Go to school… cool Move the next teen ( that was very understanding and was happy with the smaller room) a reward for additude. Move storage to smaller room. It’s your house your rules❣️

4 Likes

Move the child at home into the larger room and store the child’s things that moved out in the smaller room . End of discussion. You can’t have the cake and eat it to as they say. You own the house. You make the rules

2 Likes

It’s your house. She is moving out. Move her stuff into the smaller room and then when she can come get it, it’s already packed and ready for her.

1 Like

Put the heartbeat at home in that room, and store the others in the room closet thingy.

Box her stuff up after she is gone. Store it in the small room and let your teen have the large room.

1 Like

Bonus daughter moves her stuff to smaller room before she leaves & at the same time, the teen moves her stuff to bigger room. Bonus daughter doesn’t make the rules & if dad doesn’t want to say anything before she leaves in fear of an argument, tell him you’ll tell both kids & just do it. It’s the teens turn. This is how it works.

3 Likes

Its only 2 months away, i would let her pack her own room n stuff, so she can say goodbye to her old room properly it will make her feel like shes not getting pushed out right away n give her closure to pack her own things, 2 months will go by fast and its not worth the arguments and may make her feel sad, you sound like an amazing 2nd mom, for the now use can slowly get things prepared for the day she and her stuff hav gone or moved into a different space

2 Likes

A kid who moves out doesn’t get a say anymore, child still living at home gets the larger room. Smaller room can hold the belongings of the kid who moved out. Everyone who lives at home should be as comfortable as humanly possible, oldest kid has been blessed with a normal size bedroom all these years, she doesn’t get to just keep it as is when she moves out when someone needs the space. I would die on that hill. It’s a worthy one.

5 Likes

I would say if you want to avoid the fight with her wait till she is gone and switch the rooms around. It is not right for the daughter still at home to have to stay in the smaller room if the bigger one is only being used to keep the stuff in

4 Likes

Move teen to bigger room. Move other daughters stuff to the small room. Ask her to move them before she goes and tell her they can stay there until she decides what to do with them. Its NOT an argument its a statement. Period

9 Likes

Who’s the parent here? Take the weekend to move her stuff into the smaller room so your other child has a larger space, since they still live in the home. Just tell her you’re doing it and do it.

4 Likes

Your house your rules. Wth!!! If it is only for storage, let her pack her stuff in the smaller room and give your teenager the vacant room.

7 Likes

Tell daughter who is moving out then that SHE needs to move her stuff to the small room herself before going or you will move it for her. The teen still there deserves to have more space and the teen leaving should not have dictation of a room she isn’t going to be in.

12 Likes

Really? She’s not gonna live there but, she’s gonna tell you what to do? Nope not happening

8 Likes