What should we do with the bigger bedroom?

Give the home teen the bigger room it’s only fair!

4 Likes

There is absolutely no reason her stuff should have the bigger room. I know she has a lot of life changes going on and she might be emotional but she needs to sympathize with her sibling. If they were to switch places she’d see how people are more important than stuff, she’d want the bigger room if her sibling was leaving.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t let her dictate what you do with said room. Period. Let the teen have her “new” space.

2 Likes

It would be nice for her to be able to come home to that room. Just sit her down and talk to her, maybe you can get her to understand you know how she feels but younger daughter would like a bigger room too.

I’d definitely box her stuff up and switch rooms. She has no right to tell you that you can’t change her room you are the adults of the home so it’s your decision. I happily swapped rooms with my teenager so he can have more space for his computer and stuff. I don’t need it as all I do is sleep and get dressed so it made sense to me but he did argue with me saying I didn’t need to do it and it was daft. I reminded him I’m the adult of the house I pay all the bills so what I say goes.

1 Like

Definitely give it to the other teen in your house. Just explain to your bonus daughter that her stuff can remain but in the smaller room and it’s only fair that your other child now they are bigger gets the bigger room

2 Likes

Unless the bonus daughter is paying the rent/mortgage, I would just move the stuff out

6 Likes

Why can’t her and her younger sister do the switching together?

1 Like

Young teen moves put SHE PUT HER STUFF IN STORAGE OR BASEMENT AND SLEEP IN THE YOUNGER GIRLS ROOM

4 Likes

Your husband is not helping the situation. He doesn’t want to deal with the situation. He’s the one who should handle it🙄. And that is selfish of the bonus child. Give the room to the teen at home. Tell your husband to grow up and be a man. Not his kids friend

5 Likes

Who pays the mortgage? He/she who pays the bills writes the rules. :blush:

4 Likes

That’s just crazy to make your daughter stay in a tiny room when there’s a bigger one right across the hall! Let her have the big one, and store your other daughters stuff in the small one!

7 Likes

Give her the bigger room. Other kid is being ridiculous. Or speak to the home teen and ask could she wait 2 weeks. And give the girl 2 weeks to get her stuff sorted then move yourself if she takes any longer

3 Likes

She moved out. Let the teen still living there have the bigger room. Move her stuff to the smaller room. So when she visits she is in smaller room. She was blessed for years with a larger room and moving out. Time for the other teen to have the larger room now.

10 Likes

I would definitely move your other teen into the now vacant room. The daughter moving out (as an adult) can handle her things being moved and put into a storage closest while their sibling is allowed to be more comfortable

3 Likes

Oh I would 100% move the bonus daughter’s belongings into the smaller room and move the at home teen to the bigger room. It’s not fair to the at home teen. Your husband is being controlled by your bonus daughter…so silly.
Give bonus daughter the option to pack her belongings (if she doesn’t want anyone going through her stuff) and after that’s done move her stuff to the smaller room

1 Like

The child that living at home gets the bigger room. The one moving out should fell lucky to have free storage space.
Give the teen the bigger room

3 Likes

Teen should be able to move in to the bigger room

1 Like

Stand your ground. Sound like they are being spiteful to yours.
She still lives there, she deserves space just like any other teen. If you aint stayin here… No discussion…your stuff is going to a spare room or storage.

3 Likes

Box it up and utilize the room for other kids

5 Likes

If she isn’t gonna be there, tell her to either move her stuff herself or y’all are gonna move it. There is no reason the other sibling should have to wait just cause the older one doesn’t want to do it but at the same time doesn’t want anyone to do it for her. I’d just do it. :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Move your home teen. Nuhuh. Fair fair

1 Like

Have been through this the house belongs to me and so does every room in it. If one of your children moved out of the house and has no intention of moving back in then everything in that room would be packed up and put into the smaller room and the teenager that is at home would then be moved into the larger room shouldn’t be an argument especially if she no longer lives in the house and has no intention of coming home to live in the house. Packing up her things isn’t rude she should have packed them up before she left that way they were ready to go when she was ready to take them. as she no longer lives with you. the teenager that does should be granted the larger room in the house after all it does NOT belong to the child moving out only her personal items in it do. it was only the older girls while she was growing up and while she still lived in the home which she no longer does. And when she comes home to visit taking the smaller room should be good enough after all she no longer lives in the home an is only home when visiting.

Does she pay the rent/mortgage? Does she pay all other bills?she sounds intitled & she’s not. His child/bonus child who cares. She moved out, it is no longer her room. Pack it & move it to other room or storage. Or figure how to add shelves etc to put her things & a bed, fold out couch. Something. Or ship it to where she’s living. She doesn’t get to dictate to you or her father what she wants & doesn’t want. Set him straight since he doesn’t have the b*lls to set his daughter straight. I’m sure the younger daughter is you twos child & it’s only fair for her to have it now.

3 Likes

F*** it if everyone can’t compromise — then take the lead and move her stuff to the small room — if she’s good enough to live outside the home then her stuff can stay in the smaller room

1 Like

I’d wait a few month’s to make sure her move works out, then swap room’s, store her stuff in the smaller room. Fair is fair,

2 Likes

I’d go ahead and move her over. Pack up the one in an organized and labled manner and move the younger one on over. It’s only fair. I mean its not fair to make her stay in a closet.

1 Like

Who are the parents here. It is YOUR house not your moving daughters, If your non moving kid wants the room why not let her have it. Listening to your moving daughters request to not move her stuff in the smaller bedroom is unfounded. Wow,

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d be switching the rooms around. It’d be different if she was still living there but she’s moving out of the house.

2 Likes

I can understand how the older kid feels and can sympathize a little. She could ask that y’all didn’t switch rooms but ultimately it’s not her decision. If you feel it’s worth the argument with your husband then do it. If not, you may could hold off a little bit and let her get settled. She may be afraid she’s going to go off and fail and won’t have her space to come back to.

I would move the other teen to the bigger room and move the stuff out to the smaller room. It’s your house. She can’t dictate what happens once she leaves

1 Like

It’s not her room anymore she has no say. It is YOUR house.

Have the bonus daughter pack her stuff in boxes for storage in the small bedroom

2 Likes

I might wait six months or so to make sure this is a permanent move and them quietly pack things up and call the little room the guest room. When I moved out my mother turned my bedroom into a kitchen lol

2 Likes

Who’s paying the Mortgage?

3 Likes

Nope. We would be switching rooms.

2 Likes

I would consider the older child’s feelings and ask her if she could pack some of her things so they can go to the smaller room while she’s gone. Let her know her room is still available to her if/when she comes home but in the meantime the other child will use the space.

1 Like

Her stuff can be stored in the smaller room. She doesn’t even live with you anymore at that point.

4 Likes

Who is making the decisions here? The small room can act as a storage room for the older daughter, the bigger room should be given to the 15 year old who actually needs it. Which you clearly know this, so its more about how you are going to go about it with your husband. But seems crazy selfish of the older daughter to demand she keeps her stuff to store in a room she doesn’t live in and had no plans on living in. If she wants to keep her stuff there for her transition period, then fine, but set a timeline then. That seems like a fair compromise. Good luck.

3 Likes

I would tell her she needs to pack her to be moved to the smaller room. I understand she doesn’t want you to pack her things and move. She can do it before she leaves. It’s not fair to the teen to have to stay on the small when when no one is using the the larger one. I myself would stand my ground.

1 Like

I would just move the older kids stuff to the smaller room for storage. And if I got any push back from my kid about it I would say if you are going to keep your stuff in the big room for no reason I am charging you a storage fee until she gets it out. :woman_shrugging:t2: Oldest kid is being selfish.

3 Likes

She is not living in the house. Move her stuff to the smaller room, she is still saving over putting it in a storage unit. Put the teen in and if daughter moves back she gets the smaller room. It’s the 15 year olds turn.

3 Likes

I would definitely swap rooms. It’s not fair to the child still at ho.e to have less space with a room collecting dust.

1 Like

Give the home teen The bigger room, that would be very unfair and you should argue the point, I know I would.:+1:

2 Likes

So she wants you to store all her things while she’s in another state to start her adult life, but cares where you store it? If she cares that much she can pay for a storage unit somewhere else. Unless she is going to be paying you for rent/storage or this is just a temporary move for a short time, she needs to be an adult and be considerate of younger sibling. Time to grow up :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I’d move the home teen to the bigger room and put the adult child’s stuff in the small room. It’s not fair to the child at home and it’s definitely unrealistic of someone who doesn’t live there to expect you to follow their “rules”.

3 Likes

She moves out…she loses the opinion on the room. I’d move the other one into it and her stuff gets stored in smaller roo…

4 Likes

Move everything out and do the smaller room

1 Like

Um your house. Put it in the small room and be done with it. Why would your husband be worried over an argument with a teenager? She doesn’t pay the mortgage

I’d switch them and not tell her if you’re afraid of an argument with her.

1 Like

Would definitely give at home teen the room

1 Like

Pack it and put it in the small room she can deal and quit being a snotty rotten kid . Stand that ground .

2 Likes

She should be willing. Kind of a selfish move on her part. I say don’t argue, just tell her it’s being done to pack it up or start paying a storage fee.

2 Likes

Wow, to me sounds like your husband is giving her preferential treatment over the other children in the home, which does not even make sense as SHE IS MOVING OUT! Store her stuff in closet. If I was your other teen daughter I’d be pissed this was even a question. Stand your ground for her sake, please.

2 Likes

I would stand my ground even if it was my biological child instead of my bonus kid. Genealogy has no place is this debate.
She’s moving out. Whether her stuff is in boxes in her current room or the basement it’s still in boxes. To make her teen sibling stay cramped in a small room is selfish and unfair. I would tell her exactly like that. She moves out and leaves anything behind its going in storage. End of discussion. It’s not her room anymore. Put it in the smaller room, attic, wherever. It’s your house.

4 Likes

the fact you are letting her keep her stuff there free of charge is nice of you and a luxury she doesn’t know she has yet. I think it might be more a mental thing with her, too much change at one time plus going from teen to adult life is a lot. hold off for a short while, then bring it up later with the husband after she is settled and feeling more secure --moving out of the house even into other family members is nerve wracking— respect the husbands wishes after coming back to it in a couple months , but have a clear non emotional conversation with him about it and why it is fair or not fair etc , and really take the time to listen to him too

No way. If she is moving out she takes her stuff- or it goes to the smaller room or garage. She doesn’t get a say where her stuff goes is she doesn’t live here. Totally disrespectful to her siblings and you.

2 Likes

I’m not understanding the issue…adult child moves… She brings everything with her or pays her own storage. Why wouldn’t you let the next oldest have the large room? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Swap rooms. Her room isn’t a shrine. Pack it up, put her stuff in the smaller room and let the next kid in line have the bigger space.

It’s rude of her to not even consider the sibling still living at home. Move the home child in the bigger room!! My sister had the biggest room in our trailer as kids, and it frustrated me that I had the smallest tiniest room, but yet she was never home and had the biggest. It doesn’t make sense to keep her stuff in that room. Put her stuff in the smaller room, then she can still come and get it out whenever she wants. But what she’s asking isn’t very smart, or thoughtful to her sibling. Verbalize the younger siblings feelings to her, and express the other child wants the room bad. If she still doesn’t care, speaks volumes.

Pack it up and move it if she won’t for sure.

I would definitely stand my ground and give the teen at home the room.

3 Likes

Well if she won’t be there why not give up the bigger room. Box up her stuff and it’s done for when she gets it. Store it in the little room. Leaving it alone and eventually having to do something with it makes no sense. The other child has a right to have some space now who is still going to be living there.

2 Likes

Isn’t this YOUR house?

1 Like

Pack up the moved out daughters stuff, store it in the basement/attic, and move the kid with the smallest room into that larger one.

Uh no. Smaller room should be used for storage of older daughters stuff. That’s not right and not fair.

4 Likes

The child moving out wouldn’t have a say on where their stuff is placed in my home for storage. This isn’t even a debate. The child in the home gets the bigger room, the other child’s stuff goes in the small room

1 Like

Stand your ground!! This wouldn’t fly with me. My child would move to the bigger room. The things can be packed up and put in the smaller room!

Your home your rules

Ma’am your the parent and she’s the child. She don’t pay bills nor does she lives there anymore. Move the next teen into the bigger room and secure your daughters stuff in the small room. That was very selfish of the oldest daughter. Like she have plans on comin back

5 Likes

At first I was on board with saying the daughter at home gets the bigger room…then I kept reading and she’s moving in with family to go to school and it doesn’t sound like she is going to have space when she is going. So at this time it sounds like that room is still home to her. So for a little bit. I would let it go. I am not saying years but Maybe one school year. If you just move her space then she may feel like she has no home.

Move her she can not hold the room hostage you’re the parent.

I’m gonna tell you this from the heart I’m a third child and if you sit there a favorite one child and their wishes it makes the other one feel it’s always about that other child

1 Like

Uh, I’d pack her stuff up and move it to the other room. Since dad doesn’t want to “argue” with the child moving out. Then tell him to stay out of it. It’s your house as well.

2 Likes

No one wants their room disturbed when they grow up and move out. It’s a sense of coming home and your room being as it was the day you left; unfortunately, real world when there are other children in the home sometimes moving rooms is a necessity. The problem lies in how the options were presented to her. She was given control instead of options to pick from. Y’all need to sit down and have a conversation with her. Remind her that you understand her room and her feelings are important; however, you will not be leaving it unoccupied while she is gone because there are other people in the home. She can either help you box her stuff up and move it into the smaller room so it’s easier to pick up as she needs things or they can just do a full across the board swap. Remove the option of it staying as it.

3 Likes

Ur bonus daughter? lol

Oh give her the bigger room. Put the daughter’s stuff in the smaller room. The teen will be gone soon enough.

6 Likes

Box her stuff up. This isn’t the movies, where mommy and daddy keep your room perfect for all of eternity.

8 Likes

I would immediately start swapping rooms and if she moves back she gets the smaller room. She’s leaving so she has no say so. Your husband should be more worried about causing an argument with you vs a child.

6 Likes

I would switch rooms, let the teen at home have the bigger room and store the oldest one’s stuff in the little room. She moved out and obviously doesn’t need 2 rooms. Simple.

3 Likes

Uhm yeah if she’s not gonna live there, her stuff can go in the smaller space and the other kid can have the room. That’s not fair

2 Likes

As time passes the larger room will be less important to the daughter moving out, so why not give it to the daughter still at home?:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Move her things into the smaller bedroom and move the other teen into the bigger bedroom. Why shouldn’t the daughter that’s still at home be allowed to enjoy the larger bedroom?

8 Likes

I would just move them and the college teen can get over it or rent a storage unit for her stuff!! Unfair to make the kids at home be disappointed because someone is selfish! You’re the parent!

5 Likes

Your home your rules. Bonus daughter needs 2see the logic in the teen needs more space. She needs 2learn 2share. If she don’t want 2.tuff luck. She was given the privilege n space now give the others a chance

5 Likes

If she is just storing her stuff put it in the smaller room and let the child still living at home finally have a decent size room. No brainer

5 Likes

Your home - your rules.

4 Likes

YOU are hanging on, not anyone else… let who’s living there enjoy the space… and your daughter that is thriving and doing great would be so happy to have a room anywhere!! I PROMISE… it’s a room, it doesn’t define your love, it’s just a room that will sit empty.
God Bless

2 Likes

who is the boss here? the daughter who is moving out, won’t live there but still wants everything her own way? No way! swap rooms if she doesn’t like it? well tough!

1 Like

She’s moving out, your house, your decision!

4 Likes

I’d move her items over nicely

3 Likes

what’s a bonus child?

Switch rooms, what doesnt fit box it up.
My brother moved to China for 1 year. And left his room like he was going away for 1 week… lol

1 Like

Switch the rooms out she doesn’t live there anymore

5 Likes

Move it while she’s gone. Which is what my parents would have done.

2 Likes

Give her the bigger room. But the stuff in the smaller room.

2 Likes

She doesn’t get to dictate what you do with YOUR home when she’s not even in it. It just needs to be explained to her kindly that it’s not fair to teen B to be stuck in a tiny room still when there’s a bigger empty room. At her age she should be able to understand this. If she can’t then let her have her tantrum and she’ll eventually get over it. I’m sure it’s anxiety related as well, like what If I fail and need to come back home to my safe space ya know? But just be reassuring and supportive while still putting your foot down about your home.

5 Likes

That’s so sad and I can only imagine how the at home kid must feel. 100% that child should have a larger room. And as for the disrespect coming from the other kid that’s not living there anymore but told you not to touch her stuff. It’s you house. Box that sh*t up. If it’s only going to be stored then you’re doing them a favor anyways. And congrats on the one moving on to adulthood. How exciting.

3 Likes

Um, the kid living at home should have the bigger room. The older child won’t even be living there and “her stuff” is in YOUR house… So if u need to move it to make your home happier, then move that shit

I understand keeping a place for the bonus daughter to come back to when she visits. You still want it to feel like home to her. But I feel like it’s absolutely appropriate to let the teen daughter move into the bigger room and move the bonus daughters stuff to the smaller room.
In reality the amount of time teen daughter will spend in the room is much greater than the time bonus daughter will spend in it. I would suggest having them switch rooms ASAP. Then you can help the bonus daughter move stuff into the smaller room and set it up the way she wants that way it’s still a room that reflects her and her likes. But if the bigger room is going to be empty 90% of the time it’s not right to make teen daughter live in a room thats a little bigger than a walk in.

4 Likes