What to elevated trisomy 18 levels mean?

I went to the doctor for my 20 week check up and they told me that my babies trisomy 18 levels are up…what could this mean? Did you get told the samer thing and nothing ended up happening to baby? I have anxiety so now I am super worried something is wrong even though they told me not to wrry yet…

10 Likes

Just breathe is that all they said so far? Like is the baby growing normal? If so it’s probably not much but if it is at least you have time to prepare and plan don’t google it and call them back if you feel you still have unanswered questions

1 Like

It’s just elevated. Doesn’t mean necessarily it will cause any issues. And it’s better they can see it now so they can monitor closer. Take a deep breath. It’s gonna be ok.

It’s only like 60% accurate so just breathe. Definitely look it up though and start planning just in case your baby will need extra care after birth.

No matter the what is said it isn’t always what they tell you anyway. Keep that in individuals momma !

That’s a question for you to ask your doctor. I hope everything is okay.

So bc of the high levels could cause the baby to growth slower.

I would set a time to ask tbe doctor more questions, even if you have to set another apt . Maybe the PA can adv you over the phone but they need to answer your questions so you understand. Dont ever be shy to ask questions.

Description. Trisomy 18, also called Edwards syndrome, is a chromosomal condition associated with abnormalities in many parts of the body. Individuals with trisomy 18 often have slow growth before birth (intrauterine growth retardation) and a low birth weight.F

What I could find is: When the egg or sperm carry an extra chromosome and give it to baby, baby ends up with three instead of two. If baby does have Trisomy 18, it will effect the way they grow and develop. It happens by chance and no known cause, it just happens.

Before you go getting freaked out by the information of this syndrome, as it’s not pretty, I would wait until they have a solid answer and not ‘possiblity’.

From there it will depend on whether baby actually has it or not because Trisomy 18
… well… don’t look it up yet, mama.

Duh! why didn’t you just ask there, did you seriously think you could get an informed answer on Facebook?

Do not Google it, talk to your doctor about it first !! Xo

1 Like