What TV shows are good for a 3 year old?

What television shows are good for a 3-year-old? My son loves trucks, but he saw monster trucks and tries to destroy all his toys. He’s very rough on things, and people keep saying all boys are rough. He has a bad habit of throwing things as well. I think he has learned some of this from other kids at daycare as well. But my mother seems to think it’s from watching monster trucks. I have talked to my son about taking care of his toys, but nothing is helping!

7 Likes

Blaze and the monster machines, has monster trucks but teachers a lot of manners and colors and counting!

1 Like

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Mickey and the Roadster Racers, T.O.T.S., Mira Royal Detective, Bluey, all these are my daughters favorites currently. I find that, personally, Disney is a little better than Nickelodeon.

2 Likes

Have you watched Blippi? Has a lot of monster trucks, dinosaurs, abc, numbers and colors. Somehow very entertaining to kids and Amazon prime usually has the videos for free or youtube them all. I highly recommend. PJ masks and Bluey on disney channel and paw patrol or blue’s clues on Nick jr

1 Like

Daniel Tiger is a favorite at our house along with Blippi, Peppa Pig, Little Einsteins and Little Baby Bum.

2 Likes

I would stick to learning shows like bubble guppies and blaze and the monster machine it’s amazing how much of a sponge there little brain is and how much they pick up

1 Like

Daniel tigers neighborhood.

2 Likes

I have 2 boys and my oldest is the same way. He is 5 now and when he watches something that is aggressive he tends to act out so I try not to allow that type of thing as much as I can help it.

I try to stick to shows on disney plus. Mickey clubhouse, roadster racers, vamprina, adv of the Gummi bears. On Netflix they watch number blocks, coco motion, super why. Alot of pbs! Pj masks is the favorite amongst both kids!

Pj masks, cocomelen ,leapfrog, t.o.t.s, bps channel,

2 Likes

Blippi…if you can tolerate watching a grown man beboppin around like a fruit loop.

16 Likes

Mighty Mike… it’s funny

Ok well he’s THREE… so dont expect him to listen or understand from a talk. Children are smart and absorb everything but its still the fact they’re young and it takes more than a talk to understand.

1 Like

Coco melon is GREAT for teaching kids manners and how to be gentle, say please and thank you, etc. Definitely helped my daughter speak more too since we don’t live near family and she doesn’t get a lot of time with other kids to develop social skills

4 Likes

Blippi is pretty good, if you can stand listening to him lol

1 Like

I try to stick to pbs kids shows, many of them I watched when I was a kid (90s) or Disney jr and nick jr. we do like blippi around here but he is an odd one.

2 Likes

Tayo the bus on hulu! My son would watxh for hours at 3+ yrs old

PBS shows, my son is rough also, he loves Wild Kratts. It’s about 2 brothers saving animals with creature powers.
Also Daniel Tiger is a spin off of Mr. Rogers neighborhood. Sesame Street and word world, SuperWhy.
Blaze and the Monstertrucks.
Dino trucks
Transformer cartoons
Most of these can be found on DVD also

3 Likes

My boys do the same thing… The oldest is 23 now… they still throw monster trucks. My youngest kids watch Monster Jam , blaze and Any car show their dad watches.they love blippi

Oldie but goodie, The Wiggles

Paw Patrol is a good one. As far as his throwing and roughness, keep correcting him. It’s not o.k. to throw toys.

3 Likes

We are a pbs family so barney telletubbies bear in big blue house and original blues clues with Steve. Sesame Street etc

If he likes monster trucks, Blaze and the Monster Machines is perfect for him. Also great shows are PAW Patrol, Handy Manny, Dinosaur Train, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Team Umizoomi, Top Wing. Nick Jr. has a TON of great shows that are educationally based.

Boys are rough… all kids benefit from you showing them what happens when they are too rough. …throwing toys is normal

My husband types in car crash for my 2 year old and they watch monster trucks and semis that crash, looks like a video game not real cars. Even watching that he isn’t throwing or crashing stuff in the house now that he is getting bigger we just tell him no inside. Give him a place to play rough safely.

My 3 year old loves Daniel Tiger, Clifford, Dora, and has recently discussed Super Why!.

-Sesame street (pbs)
-Blaze (nick jr)
-Dino-trucks (Netflix)
-Green eggs and ham (netflix)
-super why (pbs)
-cat in the hat (netflix? Hulu?)
-blues clues (nick jr)
-mickey mouse clubhouse (disney)
-doc mcstuffins (disney)
-paw patrol (nick jr)
-bubble guppies (nick jr)

Omg I am shocked at the paw patrol recommendations :sweat_smile: my son is reckless if he watches that!!!

We limit screen time and watch:
Little bear
Franklin
Goldie and bear
Caillou
Handy manny
Puppy dog pals

My son loves to watch cocomelon and it teaches them colors and nursery rhymes and such !!

1 Like

If he continues to throw toys, take them away for a day. Return gradually as he learns to be less aggressive with them. Repeat as needed.

3 Likes

Paw patrol tots blaze toy story

TOTS is good too. The way they take care of the babies shows compassion.

Blippi on YouTube is a great way of learning even about trucks, animals and counting. My daughter is 3 and was able to identify an excavator at a construction site. I found that pretty impressive

3 Likes

Look up Hartman. He dies all kids shows. Something like sesame street. Its great
I think Jim hartman?

My grandson loves monster trucks and watches all those shows but he loves watching kids sing a longs, and learning shows (he’s 3). As far as throwing, throwing is for balls and outside. Period.

Trash truck on Netflix is good

Bluey and Storybots are my kids’ favorites.

Sesame Street, Dino. Train, Mickey And Minnie, Daniel tiger. Don’t allow throwing toys, could cost You some$ if he hurts someone.

Throwing toys is totally developmentally appropriate for his age. If you cannot stop him from throwing, give him something that he can throw, and a space to throw it in. Pillows, nerf balls, stuffed animals. Sometimes they just need that outlet, and at that age, they really don’t have much impulse control. They just don’t have the capacity to stop themselves, sometimes, even if they know they shouldn’t do something. They literally cannot help it. It’s best to work with it as much as possible, and he’ll eventually be able to find his own, more appropriate outlets. Also, Daniel Tiger, CoCo Melon, and Little Baby Bum are some of my 3 y/o son’s favorites! There are also YouTube dance videos for kids by a group called KooKooKangaroo. They’re pretty age appropriate for the most part, and a lot of fun!

My 3 year old watchs Puppy Dog pals… Daniel Tiger neighborhood… and Paw Patrol. He digs them. We sing to them every dang time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You have to show young toddlers/preschool age how to correctly play and take care of their things. Play with him, help him build tracks, ramps etc. for his trucks. Boys and young children in general are rougher on toys as they are exploring and learning how they work.

Octonauts, Paw Patrol, PJ Masks, Blaze, Sid the Science Kid, Daniel Tiger, Bluey, Puppy Dog Pals, Bob the Builder, Thomas the Train, Ryan’s World, Word World, Doc McStuffins (if he loves animals, toys & Doctors), Sesame Street

Handy Manny, Bob the Builder, Paw Patrol

Paw patrol my little boy loved it.

Blaze and the monster machines he would like it edycational

Walt Disney has some for boys

Netflix has a series called trashtruck based on children’s books.

Take him outside, play tag, have a snowball fight, build a snowman ( if you have snow). I don’t like having TV just because it’s there. Lots of stuff to do inside too. Art projects, practice writing name, using scissors… I could go on. Sorry lol. Good luck!

1 Like

Blaze, Team Umizoomi, and just continue to tell him how important it is to take care of his things, if all else fails, take away the toy

my son did the same thing at his age. Boys seem to have more aggression lol. I have 8 brothers. I bought the Berenstain Bear books and they seemed to help a lot. Have you tried play doh? He can build and smash… Be patient…

1 Like

An activity that would have him sit calmly may help too. When he starts throwing things, insist on putting everything away and bring out some books to read or a creative activity like colouring or painting. As for shows, I like the Wiggles because you and your child can get physically involved in the songs and get out some energy too. Sometimes just telling them to jump up and down and act silly gets the excess energy out (of course make sure no toys are involved lol)

He’s a three year old boy :joy::woman_shrugging:t3: just keep teaching not to throw things and maybe eventually it will kick in. Lol. Our three year old son LOVES monster trucks, I’m doubting he learned anything from Monster Trucks about being rough and it’s just his nature.

But, Blaze, Bubble Guppies, Paw Patrol, Mickey, PJ Masks, Gigantasorous, Blippi, Puppy Dog Pals, etc…

1 Like

Blaze is a good show it had monster trucks. Blues clues is also good. Mackey’s Roadsters Racers are cool. Most shows and movies are Horrible. My oldest picked up some Horrible things. Disney movies shocked me when I actually listened to them. Blippi is cool.

My daughter is obsessed with Dino Dana on Amazon Prime, and her favorite is Scooby Doo on Netflix.

Monster trucks, mickey and the roadster racers, paw patrol, pj masks, daniel tiger, clifford, dinosaur train, just about every disney movie. My 3yr old loves all that and more and he gets rough every now and again. It’s definitely an age/boy thing but when he gets too rough we just redirect him

Brain candy and Blippi, both on YouTube.

Trash truck on Netflix is a new fave! Also paw patrol, pj masks, bluey, puppy dog pals, blaze, blippi.
And also agree with incorporating other activities as well - music, play doh, kinetic sand, trampoline, stepping stones, knee hockey

Redirect his throwing with balls and a target. But boys are rough naturally.

Hello ninja on Netflix!

Absolutely thats normal my son adores trucks dumps trucks monster trucks you name it but coco melon is great and educational and don’t teach bad behavior. Also whatever you do dont let him watch mascha bear its terrible. But also Blippi is amazing and very educational too

Paw patrol, blippi, and Daniel tiger’s neighborhood are my 3yo sons favorite. He is super rough and destructive as well, and Daniel tiger seems to help him with some of the scenarios depicted

Daniel Tiger is fantastic, Truck Town is really good too.

Paw patrol, wallykazam, blippi, blaze

Thomas the tank engine.

Getting outside and running, jumping, playing with toys that are supposed to be thrown or hit (balls, xylophone, toy hammer and peg board etc) trampoline, swings, go to a bounce house place, actually play with him, run races, obstacle course etc. Propping him in front of a TV isn’t going to help him in any way. The less TV the better, tire the mind and body instead of turn into a screen addicted potato.

1 Like

SuperTruck on Amazon. Blaze and the Monster Machines on Nick Jr. we also love Blippi on YouTube or Amazon. He does lots of episodes about trucks of all kinds!

Blippi
Paw Patrol
Sesame Street
TOTS
Puppy Dog Pals
Anything Mickey Mouse

Get Disney+ totally worth it. Miles of Tomorrowland is one of our faves right now.

Bugs bunny Road Runner hr. just make sure he doesnt order anything from ACME

He’s a boy. They are always rough. I have a 2 year old son who loves to play rough. Just have to stick to it but telling him to be easy with toys. I got my son a little punching bag so he has something to beat up.

I have seen little boys who treasured everything and were gentle as all get out, and I’ve seen little boys who are a walking hurricane. Kids are kids. Find a way for your little hurricane to get that energy out, like running laps around the house lol, or just get cheap toys it is okay if they end up broke. Cartoons, eh, blaze, paw patrol, my little doesn’t watch much tv and my oldest didnt really watch tv until he was 5, hes 16 now.

1 Like

Try Blaze and the Monster Machines on Nickelodeon. It’s a bunch of monster trucks but educational. My 2.5 year old loves it.

Personify them. It sounds nuts, but it helps teach compassion and in my experience makes them less rough in general. Hope it helps

1 Like

Kids aren’t humans, they’re animals. Our job as parents is to teach them morals and with that is respect. In this case respect is taught. He needs to learn to respect property and rules. Instead of teaching him that throwing is bad, reward him for not throwing and not being rough. His behavior has nothing to do with his gender.

My 3.5 yr old loves blaze and the monster machines, paw patrol, team umi zoomi, wolfoo(on you tube).

Super monsters on Netflix. Great teaching on right and wrong. Also sooo cute

Then it’s called sit in a corner and tell him it’s not ok to throw toys I started at that small age telling my kids no do they dint mess up walls