What will happen in this court case?

Need some advice regarding divorce court. Hopefully someone here has been through it and could give me some info. My boyfriend is going through a divorce. He’s been separated for the past year living on his own. He has one minor child who is 16. He went to his first court hearing today. They both own their home. It’s a 2 family… They both want the house which he didn’t expect to hear she wanted it to. He makes more money than her. She only works part time. She gave him a ridiculous low figure that she would settle for. He said no… The next hearing is in October. Has anyone been through this? What happens next? He needs to meet with his lawyer soon to discuss the house before the next hearing. Child support was not brought up?? I don’t understand why it didn’t. How does the judge determine who gets it? How long can this divorce last for? Will it end on his next court date? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

75 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What will happen in this court case? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Yeah get great for a bumpy ride :ok_hand:t2: this hasn’t even started yet

15 Likes

Divorce can drag out for years unfortunately. Mine did for 2 years and I didn’t fight it or want anything even though I was entitled to alimony. I have a friend who’s divorce dragged for 5 years because her ex fought her.

8 Likes

Of she only works part time, unless someone is finding her attorney, she won’t fight long. It’s expensive!

5 Likes

My parents divorce took a few years, then the custody/child battle took a few more.

1 Like

Nobody here can predict what a judge will do.

Why are you with a MARRIED MAN?

19 Likes

You both really need an attorney

2 Likes

If they can’t agree on who gets the house the judge will likely order it to be sold or one party to buy out the other one.

I’m surprised he didn’t expect her to want the house though, why wouldn’t she want it, it’s an asset.

Divorces can take YEARS. It may be well after their son is in college before it is settled.

14 Likes

First and only issue you have:

“My boyfriend is going through a divorce”

34 Likes

Likely they will have to sell the house and split whatever money is leftover once the house is paid off

1 Like

You need an attorney.

2 Likes

She has his kid she should stay with the house

14 Likes

The kid may notbe a factor by the time this divorce is over. That is how long court takes

4 Likes

If they don’t agree they will sell the house a split the profit 50/50

7 Likes

What did Judge could do he’ll tell you to sell the house and then you get half and he gets hoff that’s what the judge my door but lots of luck

Who lives there currently? If both their names are on the house, and one left but one stayed, they can’t make the other leave, so that person will most likely get the house. Well, depending on what state ur in

1 Like

I would say it’s none of your business. You just need to step back and let him close that chapter on his own. You are only there to support. Period.

30 Likes

Hopefully they will figure it out together before a judge makes a final decision. Court is kinda like mediation but you’re paying someone else to negotiate for you and work out a deal. You’ll go back usually monthly until everything is worked out. My advice would be to discuss things together and be fair and reasonable to each other… better than paying strangers your hard earned money to decide what’s best for your family🤷🏼‍♀️

1 Like

Why are you so concerned over their assets? You’re just a gf right now :woman_shrugging:t2:

20 Likes

Get out of the middle of their business. It’s between them. If he makes a lot more, he’s most likely going to pay child support and be required to carry health insurance for the kids. The assets will be equally split. The house is an asset, and she has an equal claim to it. I don’t understand why her wanting it is a surprise. Seriously though, divorce is not easy and it takes time.

19 Likes

Usually the person who is awarded primary care taker of the child gets the home. Unless, they both agree to sell and split the money.

1 Like

If they don’t come to an agreement on the house. The judge will want it to be sold (my fiancé went through this same exact thing with his ex wife. They both wanted the house and couldn’t come to an agreement. Then she made her friend buy the house :roll_eyes:) anyway. Child support is totally different from anything else. It is it’s own hearing in itself. I know because I go through this with my ex husband. And divorces can take YEARS. Luckily for me. It was less than a year. And that was with a child involved. My fiancés took two years because his ex is a psycho bitch

Divorce papers are not even signed yet and you’re trying to get your hands into THEIR money and assets :person_facepalming: I can only assume his child is next on your list.

23 Likes

It depends on several other factors since the child is not young. Sounds loke she can’t afford it either way so…

How are we suppose to know!!! Every divorce is different

2 Likes

“Will this be over in the next court date” LOL

19 Likes

This is 100% Nun ya businesssss

14 Likes

So quick to judge. I got with my now husband 3 months before his divorce was finalized. So yeah you can be with someone who is legally separated and going through court to get divorced it could take up to a year or more depending on how difficult the ex is. And custody and support are different from divorce court.

2 Likes

She’ll likely get the house until the children are 18 plus child support.

2 Likes

Perhaps Getting an appraisal from a licensed agent to determine the value of the house could work as a starting point. He needs to discuss in detail with his attorney the child custody arrangements, visitation and support payments. Negotiations need to be discussed as well.

1 Like

Ummmmmmm it’s really non of your business I’d stay out of it!! That’s a whole family breaking up the last thing they need is you keeping tabs or praying of their downfall know your place​:bangbang::ok_hand:t3:

13 Likes

Divorces can take years. My parents’ divorce took 7 years. It was awful.

Why is he surprised she wants the house too??? That’s a marital asset they bought together when they were married. Who cares how much they each work, she also raised their child. He’s not entitled to that house lol.

If they can’t agree, the judge will most likely order to sell the house and split the money or have one of them buy the other person out.

But no, it will NOT end at the next court date, he just started this ride lol. Good luck, it takes a toll on the whole family!

11 Likes

You are just the rebound. And nothing of it has to do with a girlfriend. HE IS STILL MARRIED. HAVE SOME MORALS

10 Likes

Depends on the state. The assets they have. What was acquired during the marriage. Prenuptials or other agreements that may have been signed. The more stuff to sort the longer it takes. Divorces are rarely quick and painless.

2 Likes

It’s not your business…

12 Likes

What do you need advice for? :thinking: Your boyfriend has a lawyer. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: It sounds like your boyfriend isn’t sharing certain information with you. That could because it’s not your business hun. Just step back and let him handle his business.

14 Likes

Girl stay out of it ! Mean step mom energy

10 Likes

The house will be appraised which ever one could buy the other out will get the house. For example. The house is worth 100 000.00 who ever can come up with 50,000.00 to buy the other out

1 Like

Doubtful it’ll be over the next meeting. Child support can go one of several different ways. The house could go one of several different ways.

How is any of it your business though. I understand listening to him vent, but that is listening with very little to no input needed. Wondering all this… there’s absolutely no reason for it. You aren’t the wife or husband in this divorce. He’s only been separated a year… I’m really hoping you’ve been with him less than a year. That being said you literally have absolutely no reason to put yourself in the middle.

6 Likes

Man lots of people to judge here :sweat_smile::woman_facepalming: I had filed for my divorce in March. August I started dating the guy I am still with 8 years later. Wasn’t legally divorced at that time, I don’t think my divorce was finalized for almost a year after I filed the paperwork.

9 Likes

Aww look it’s the new girlfriend suiting up. I bet she has a briefcase and looks important :joy:

28 Likes

Usually if one doesn’t buy out the partner’s half then court orders house sold & profits split 50-50

2 Likes

I know that when my parents divorced I was 17, my mom moved out and my dad kept the house and the ground. Dad paid child support and half of any medical bills I may have had in that time until I turned 18. He paid half of college tuition that wasn’t covered by grants and financial aide. I was on moms health insurance and dads vision and dental insurance. There are hundreds of different ways this could go and no it’s probably not going to be over at the next court date. There’s mutual interest in marital property and custody and support of the minor child hasn’t been discussed or determined. Buckle up because there’s a long way to go still.

6 Likes

Child support is usually done by a court formula

2 Likes

Yeah… that’s his business to close that chapter. Just because you are there doesn’t mean it will speed up that process.

4 Likes

Why people don’t get prenups that outline asset division and child access and support in the event of divorce before they marry, I’ll never know.

4 Likes

Stay out of it. If he wanted you to know he would let you know.

5 Likes

She only works part time… he is fucked with alimony and child support (depending on how often he has the kids)

Mind your business. God damn.

Yall “women” are fucking sad. She asked a question.

You have to get the house appraised. That amount will be divided or will be used to determine the amount the other needs to buy the other out.

4 Likes

Mine took 10 years… Hang on it’s quite a ride.

1 Like

Honey sone people can be downright nasty. No one knows your story but you and him. My husband and I have been together 17 yrs he was in the middle of a divorce and custody when we met, they had been separated for a year and it was over just not on paper yet. For me I stayed out of the divorce it wasn’t really my place unless he asked for my opinion or help. The custody I helped with him because if he gained custody we would be raising our boys and later our daughter together. Each state is different and if they do divorce and custody together or separate. I would do like one suggested and suggest an appraisal of the house and if one can buy the other out. It really depends on if they bought together or not. His lawyer should be answering all your and his questions. It’s not a quick thing it can take time depending on the situation. It took my husband a year for it all.

2 Likes

1st off Just as a divorced single mum myself I’m warning you. Be supportive but don’t get in the middle. It’s seriously not your business and has nothing to do with you. It will just muddy the waters and give you a migraine it’s not your stress to deal with. Especially if things between him and her are not polite.

1. Child support is decided by who has custody of child and how many overnights. Not decided by a judge it’s established by friend of the court using a calculator since he makes more you can be sure if he isn’t keeping his son for overnights then he will pay a sum for sure. Since you didn’t mention he sees his son. She’s definitely going to receive support.
    Divorce lengths vary by parties involved and whether or not they are amicable and things agreed and established. It will not end at next court date if they don’t have things agreed upon. It will end up going to a trial. Support goes to the benefit of the child and will end when child is 18. Lots of factors will be calculated out using the calculator by friend of the court.

If the house is an issue then the most appropriate thing to do that will likely happen is they sell it and split the amount down the middle.

4 Likes

Stay out of his divorce, custody and anything else that has to do with this. You looking like a gold digger wanting to know all possible scenarios as to how well off will he still be.

15 Likes

She’s asking what’s going to happen. She’s not even saying she’s getting involved​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: wanting to know how the process works is not getting in the middle of it. Some of you are bitter.

20 Likes

Oh girl
Mind your business here
There’s definitely more to this story !

4 Likes

The whole “my boyfriend is going thru a divorce” got me🤷🏽‍♀️.

20 Likes

Could he not come to some other type of arrangement on the house instead of having to sell the house his child lives in.
Seems more concern for money than the child.
But if I was you I’d stay well out of business that does not involve you

8 Likes

Patience is a virtue

Highly recommend that one buys the other out. My husband is the primary on a house that he hasnt lived in since 2016- she was supposed to sell or refi almost 3 years ago we have yet to have a court date on it.

Share this story with him after he talks to his lawyer.

Overall lots can happen depending on the specifics of the case.

1 Like

Usually if both parties cant agree on who gets/lives there then itll get sold & the $$$ split between them. The MORE they BOTH can agree on things the faster itll go/settle- its when theres arguements disagreements etc that makes things drag on/out! If their BOTH WILLING to end/get things over with relatively fast/quickly then they NEED to be/get in agreement about the house any type child support should she want/ask for it/or he volunteer it itd be till childs 18 then thats it UNLESS their are extenuating circumstances such as a disability on childs part or 1 or both parents- if 1 parents is on SSI/disability their NOT made to pay any kind child support.Hopefully they can resolve it all amicably & be done with it! Good Luck!

2 Likes

There’s two parts to a divorce when children are involved where I’m from. First hearing is about the reason for the divorce, splitting the money in the bank accounts they shared, any other money else where, cars, housing properties, and other assets along with a temporary custody agreement until the custody hearing; and then you have the actual custody hearing where the custodial parent and non custodial parent are sorted out along with the amount of child support, and if no one fights each other over anything or the issues are easily settled during that hearing then you proceed to have a final court hearing to receive everything in writing and it’s done. Mine took 6 months. :woman_shrugging:t3:

It’s not your divorce. Mind your business. What do you even need advice for

8 Likes

If that’s the home they shared she get 50 percent!
Settle for lower if she willing to take it.

They will make them sell it… if there is a profit… then they split what they make! Simple as that!

3 Likes

It’s not your business your only a gf🤦‍♀️ keep your nose out of somewhere it don’t belong. And they don’t have to do child support If they are gonna co parent so Mind your own damn business not your divorce… stop being a nosey b---- and let them handle it because it doesn’t matter what you want or what you think it was their relationship not yours gold digger

1 Like

Its Their business not yours! And tbh you should of waited til he got the divorce before you started “dating” him.

8 Likes

If he’s not legally divorced the best thing you can do is take a big step back… you can actually harm both the divorce and custody proceedings plus tbh its between him and her…not you.

10 Likes

Most cases it depends if it’s marital property. Most cases if it can’t be settled they sell it and split the profit. If either one bought it before marriage and they can provide proof the house should go to its original owner.

Child support is determined on who gets the child or living arrangements. It could be 50 50 and no one pay or 50 50 and both pay so much. My ex pays me but I have full custody

Not your property, not your problem :100:

4 Likes

I agree with the stay out of it. In fact, you should stay away- until all is settled

1 Like

Whatever the house is worth and then half of that amount is what one should pay to the other. He probably should just hang in there til kid is 18 tho.

1 Like

He needs to get an evaluation

Of how much the house is worth. It May be best to get at least two

Your boyfriend is married.

7 Likes

They have to get it appraised n then split 50/50 or buy the other out the attorney usely take care of all that including childsupport

1 Like

Wow!
Why does she need to stay away from him? They’ve been separated for a year. Ex wife probably has a new dude as well. She’s not asking for advice on how to handle anything, just asking for anyone with experience on what to possibly expect. Sure are alot of perfect women in this group aren’t there?

4 Likes

Mind ur business ur probably the cause of their divorce…don’t be a vulture concerning for the $$$ or property

2 Likes

Some of these comments are just ridiculous. She asked on behalf of her boyfriend. She didn’t try to put her nose in their business. Her and boyfriend have no idea what they’re going through. She just ask for advice or help.

As a woman to another woman. I say be cautious, support your boyfriend but don’t attach too much in their divorce case.

7 Likes

My question for you is why are you worried about it? I don’t see it concerns you. If they were married many years and can’t agree the judge will decide.

5 Likes

A divorce can last for a long time especially if one of them wants to drag it out. It’s hard to say about the home and depending on the judge. Could have them sell it or one buy the other out. If she still lives there with the child they may let her stay. Nothing will probably be decided in the next court hearing. Best he consult a lawyer.

Wow, why is everyone so mean?! She is asking for her boyfriend!

A two family?!?! That’s perfect! Y’all move into one half and she stays in the other!

1 Like

She can get the house, she has a minor child and usually 20% of his income will be child support and he may have to keep health insurance on the child. As far as sposal support, almony, unless they live in a state that does almony he should not have that to do. However, she can get 50% of his retirement and 401k.

Buckle up, keep your arms & legs inside the vehicle at all times.

7 Likes

He needs a good lawyer

Stay out of his divorce, how they settle it is really none of your business

10 Likes

The judge will make all
Of these decisions
Except child support is based on his income
And there is a chart that will state what he will
Pay . It will
Not be in his best interest to have a GF while still being legally married ( at least in my state ) . The divorce will be final when the judge determines its final .
It can go on and on and on depending on what the parties decide to fight over . Divorce is a very stressful thing and no one wins - especially the children . I’d advise your BF to get a fabulous lawyer ( but be ready to spend a lot of money on that ) .

3 Likes

It’ll last for at least a year

Way too concerned, step away until settled. It will show you his true colors, trust me

10 Likes

My divorce with my ex took 21 months. I got the house because he’s the one who left & that’s where the kids & I was staying. Divorces usually take 1 yr (when theirs a minor child). To me child support should have already been set. Good luck

2 Likes

Also. Maybe the son comes to live with dad

They will have to get the house appraised. What ever it is appraised at is what the court will go with. So if she gets the house she will have to buy him out with a certain %. If she can’t get financed for it then he would be able to buy it and buy her out.

4 Likes

Did they purchase the home together or as a married couple? Who lives in the home now? Can she afford to maintain the home?
The judge can decide to award the home to her if she can afford to pay for the mortgage, if there is one, and maintain it. If she can’t, they could award it to him, but he would have to pay her for her equity (share) in the home. The judge would address custody, child support and spousal support. The judge would also rule on community property settlement if applicable. His attorney should be handling all of this for him and advising him on his options.

6 Likes

mind your own business, it’s between him and his wife

23 Likes

I’ve known people who’s divorced have taken several years, especially if they’re gonna fight for ownership of the house….it’s not going to end until one of them settles on that. And then there will likely be more then fight about. Also, child support goes to the custodial parent and the amount depends on the non custodial parents income.

4 Likes

That’s going to be tricky if there’s still a mortgage on the house. Might just be easier to sell the house and split what ever they make off it… the divorce can take years if they keep fighting over shit.

Actually with that child being over the age of a 13 in most states they let them decide who they want to live with so I would be getting on their best side with the kid don’t bad mouth the mother

4 Likes