What's the best advice you could give to a new mom?

Besides getting help. I felt like everyone forgot about me. On those days hopefully your SO is understanding and gives you extra love and attention

Never turn down help.

You will never be able to sneeze of cough without peeing.

The more you take the child to the bathroom each time you go the sooner they will potty train ( monkey see monkey do )

You will be given a lot of advice, you are not obligated to take any of it.

Baby gates are life savers.

Make sure to have the tough conversations with your man about things like circumcision, discipline, sleep schedules, family that can and cannot see the child.

They will out grow newborn size faster then you can blink, stock up on larger sizes.

A diaper or wet wipe raffle is the best addition to a baby shower you will ever ask for.

Diaper genies are worth the money.

Bibs are a waste of money.

I cannot express this enough, in the first 6 weeks you need to sleep when the baby sleeps. This will not only restore your energy, allow you to heal quickly it will help baby acclimate to your sleeping routine and this will.make it easier to change the baby’s sleep routine later.

1 Like

Wish someone would if told me more about depression because it doesn’t really get talked about or put out there much… you got this mama!!

4 Likes

Don’t give them advice unless they ask for it :joy: you don’t want to play with a pregnant woman’s emotions like that.

But if it were for you, the one asking, it won’t be easy. But it is absolutely worth it. And it’s important to remember that in the bad days.

If you’re staying home all day with baby, don’t bother with clothes. It’s a lot easier to change a diaper on time if you can actually see it and not have to guess all the time. The amount of time you will save on laundry will be a blessing. Even now with him being over a year, if we are staying home all day, he is only wearing a diaper unless he was put into a sleeper the night before. And with baby #2 due in January, I will definitely be remembering all the little tips I learned with the first.

2 Likes

Dont wake the baby to eat, the baby will wake up when hungry. NEVER be ashamed to ask for help or a break. Keep a caddy by your bed with diapers, wipes, formula, water filled baby bottles ( if bottle feeding ), take everything you can from the hospital, your are not stealing it lol its there for you to take, when fixing to leave the hospital ask if you can get extra diapers, formula or anything else because they usually will give you a lot of asked, sleep when the baby sleeps, make time for your significant other and ice packs for your down stairs are a life savor lol.

1 Like

When ur baby cries, they want YOU not grandma not daddy, not aunty. Snatch that baby away and feed them. It will teach them that YOU will be there when they need you. You dont let them starve. They will learn to trust you.
If someone offers to help while you sleep, allow them :heart: you wont get ANY sleep otherwise.
You can sleep with your baby safely but if youve had even ONE glass of wine, let them sleep alone. One glass vs a sleep deprived mama will be enough to cause an accident
You cannot spoil your baby, love on that baby.
Formula can save your sleep, you will feel guilty at first but at the end of the day, you will still be a good momma
Feel free to enter a mom group for your babies birthday month. I joined one and i run everything by those moms!!! Also, feel free to leave it if it gets toxic!
Ppd can happen to anyone, even dads no matter how adaptable u think you are. Dont be afraid to ask for help.
If you plan to breastfeed, start watching a show you can watch while you feed. I recommend desperate housewives
Learn gas massages , and get some gripe water. you may have a colicky baby & that’s no fun
Jess Hovers channel on youtube is my mom bible… please check out her “how to care for your newborn 101” so many great life saving tips there

1 Like

This is all new for you as much as it is new for the baby, they have to learn it all from scratch. So even on your worst days just know you are doing a good job, before you know it you and the baby will get into rhythm.

2 Likes

Do what works for you and your family. What works for others may not work for you and that’s ok! Enjoy the ride but it’s also okay to cry every now and then. Being a mom is harder than anyone tells you but it’s so worth it.

1 Like

Buy a box of diapers (various sizes) every time you grocery shop before the baby is born. We did that with our first, and didn’t have to buy diapers for the first year.

Write everything down. Pee diaper? Write it down. Poop? Yup. Bottle feeding… Write down the ounces. I remember being asked those questions at the first few appts – I could barely remember my own name, let alone that info if I didn’t have a page for each day. :laughing:

Trust Your Heart, You are going to be fine, You will NOT be perfect, but You are perfect for This child

2 Likes

Sleep when they sleep if at all possible

Take care of your mental health , don’t be afraid to ask for help

3 Likes

Let them sleep with you if that’s what you want. It is the best bonding time I had with my kids!! 11years later, they’re still welcome to jump in bed with us at any time.
Also, that you do not need all the fancy gadgets to successfully raise kids. I didn’t have a bottle warmer, or special nappy bin or even a monitor. I didn’t have a designer dummy chain, nor specially designed cups and what all else people come up with these days. :yellow_heart:
Don’t wake baby to feed, please let them sleep … :white_check_mark:

Postpartum depression is a real and very serious thing. Dont be afraid to talk to someone near you about how you are feeling and reach out to your doctor for help. Dont be embarrassed or ashamed. If anything, you are stronger for realizing you need some help.

Keep an extra shirt for yourself in the diaper bag in case you are the target of bodily fluids while out and about.

3 Likes

Just remember that everything is temporary… and the tough times (or nights, or teething, or whatever) do pass. And it’s hard for sure but so worth it!!

2 Likes

Do YOU and raise that baby the way YOU want to! Accept advice but YOU are the momma and make sure others remember that. :heart: it’s all new to you and the baby but it will all fall into place

3 Likes

Cherish them cause they grow way too fast! And find time to take care of yourself!! No it’s not selfish, You can’t give from an empty vessel. And love your spouse.

Go with your gut. Your maternal instincts will kick in. You know things did you don’t realize you know. And as you get to know your child you will be the best judge of what they need and want.

Do what you feel is best for YOU and YOUR baby, regardless of all the unsolicited advice that you’re gonna receive from family, friends, and even strangers. :unamused::roll_eyes:

Also, Post-Partum Depression is very real! Never be ashamed to reach out for help! :heart:

Ask for help don’t do it all on your own

1 Like

Babies feel their mothers vibes. Just try to go with the flow and don’t stress.
I had two chill babies who started sleeping 5+ hours a night after one week. :rofl::pray:t3:

I wouldn’t. Unless they asked. And if they did. I’d tell them don’t let your man get away with not helping. They poop black tar when they are born… and yours isn’t going to be pleasant.
And if you’re feeling helpless or worried. Your feeling overwhelmed. Please. Call text … speak about it. :heart: your loved.

1 Like

Take time for yourself and don’t forget to make time for daddy

Don’t downplay your feelings and they are real get help early we all need some form of help! And do whatever your the most comfortable with that gets you and baby the most and best sleep as that’s crucial to taking care yourself to be the best momma you can be!

1 Like

The baby blues are very real and you will cry a lot. It’s okay to cry, it’s okay to ask for help and take a break. It’s okay to take care of yourself as well, baby needs a happy and healthy mama.

4 Likes

Get as much sleep as you can

Do what you feel is best both for you and bub.
Listen to yr gut instincts .
If you need help do not be afraid to ask

Don’t be afraid to tell people to fuck off when they harp on about how you should be parenting :relaxed:

6 Likes

My best advice would be to have your baby in a bed time schedule and not to co-sleep :confused: I have a 3 year old now that doesn’t wanna sleep without me being in bed with him. (Not to mention no sexy time with your man)

1 Like

Do not feel guilty asking for help and hug and enjoy the newborn stage.

1 Like

All that newborn bliss is crap. It’s ok to not be OK. I was a hormonal crying mess for a few months. The post baby blues are depression are really really common. Ask for help!!!

1 Like

DO NOT wake a baby to feed them, unless under certain circumstances. Also, don’t isolate yourself.

2 Likes

It’s okay to need help.

It’s okay to take a break and let grandma/uncle/godparent take the little one for a couple hours.

Breastfeeding is HARD and not for everyone. A fed baby is a happy baby, whether by bottle, breast, tube, or a combination of the three.

ZIP. UP. ONESIES. Especially the reverse zipper.

Buy all clothes and stuff secondhand (garage sales, resale stores, etc.) You can find new w tags for 1/4 the cost.

Postpartum mental illnesses may be scary, but I promise if you tell your Doc about it they will not take your baby and they will help you.

Babies are tougher than you’d think.

You are tougher than you think.

You’ve got this.

Congratulations!

2 Likes

There are already so many comments i agree with…so mainly, YOU as a mother knows what is best for your baby, YOU know what your baby needs, and YOU are doing an amazing job as a mother! Don’t let anyone else take that away from you…you know your baby and your body best, so you got this momma! There will be some times when you feel like asking for help…go ahead and do it! Raising a newborn is hard and everyone needs help sometimes! Don’t feel like you are asking too much or too little…it’s all about learning and adjusting. No matter what, you know what is best for you and your little one!

1 Like

Don’t let people tell you what to do! Do what you feel is right for your child!

Dont get the button sleeves. Take a nap when you can and dont isolate yourself. Postpartum depression is real and difficult to handle. You can have an easy baby and a supportive partner and still get depressed. Tale car of yourself

1 Like

dont lose your self trying to give the world to your child…do something that makes u happy every once inawhile.

its ok to put ur crying baby down for 5 min and walk away to gather yourself, its ok to let your baby cry in general.

sleep when baby sleep, house chorse can wait

3 Likes

To tell other people to fuck off to honest. Like Idgaf! I’m sick of hearing what you did or what you should do. Just fuck off basically. Do what you feel is right cut off everyone’s opinion they ain’t right ever

1 Like

Don’t be afraid to ask for help, no co-sleep you can have baby sleep in the same room as you in their crib or bassinet, feed them when their hungry not just when you feel they should be eating, don’t carry them so much and it’s okay to have them cry you don’t have to pick them up every time they do because it becomes a habit

Sleep when ever possible housework comes last you are not wonder woman and cant do it all. Think of your own mental health. If people offer to help accept it. Oh and once baby is sorted put down to sleep they do get used to being in your arms makes harder work later. Enjoy every second they are a blessing.

You can’t spoil your baby!!! I spent ages worrying he wouldn’t go down in a crib but they only know you so cuddle away. Also baby carriers/slings are great purchases still carry my 14 month old

it’s ok to speak up and say how you feel and don’t feel like you have to do it all yourself because there are people who can help
Enjoy the time you have together while bub is small they grow up to quick time flies

It’s your child not anyone else’s! Raise your child the way you want to raise them! There’s no such thing as too many cuddles and you can not spoil your baby!

2 Likes

Trust your instincts!

Lower your standards on cleaning and housework. Just love them and everything will turn out ok

1. I see a lot of people who tend to take advice personally. Don’t get offended or pissy about it. You can listen. You can hear them out. It doesn’t mean you have to do what they say but hearing them out doesn’t hurt. Sometimes it will help “spark” a different idea for your own solution to problems.

2. If something is concerning you…bring it to your child’s doctor. Dont let this wonderful land of facebook cause you to overreact or underreact to something that’s bothering you and stay away from google.

Parent however the hell you want to. Don’t let people bully you into believing their parenting style is the right way or the only way. The world is such a different place then it was 20 years ago… shoot even 7 years when I first became a mom. Listen to your motherly instincts because they are your natural guide. Every child is different and you were chosen to be their mom for a reason.

1 Like

You will cry. You will get overwhelmed. You will get through it

1 Like

Doctors and nurses are not always right for your baby. Sometimes the old ways are best. Follow your gut

No one told me about the baby blues! I cried at everything a week after giving birth, it got better after that.

Don’t let ANYONE guilt you into anything or feel a certain way. You are your own person and your voice for your baby

Get yourself a carrier (tula,ergo,etc). They are lifesavers when baby wants to be held and you have stuff to do. My daughter was sick last weekend, so she helped me make a roast, muffins, and a birthday cake in her carrier

1 Like

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Never say something you don’t intend to follow through on, good or bad. Children rely on consistency, so create routines and schedules early. Set healthy discipline practices from the time they’re small. This will definitely help avoid major battles as they get older!

Enjoy every second they ain’t babies for long

Love with all your heart

Follow your gut instincts. You know what’s best for your baby.

They will cry its ok if you need a minute or 10 take it the calmer you are the calmer they will be so if you feel overwhelmed walk away go potty wash your face have your coffee then come back (make sure they are in a safe place first )

Its okay to ask for help. You’ll be tired (people did tell me this but nothing can prepare you for how exhausted you’ll be) so those dirty dishes, clothes, chores - they can wait, sleep when the baby sleeps. A baby who is fed is best, if you don’t want to breastfeed or can’t, don’t stress it. Formula will also give you a healthy baby. You will find out who your true friends are & they’ll love your baby like it was their own. Don’t stress the people that you will lose, their part in your story was over & thats okay. Take time for yourself, even if that just means a long hot shower and a hot meal, you need to feel human and taken care of too because you’ll lose yourself in motherhood easily. Diaper genies and wipe warmers aren’t needed. You’ll question if you’re doing things right, you are. Just trust your gut. You will never know a love greater than being a mom, its the best! But if you get down & have post-partum depression, it is okay & normal, seek help from your doctor. :heart: much love and good luck Momma

You know your baby best don’t let people tell you your baby is fine when you know something is wrong

If you’re feeling overwhelmed please ask for help and take the help. Find support wherever you can. It’s hard. Get as much rest as you can also. It’s very hard

Don’t be afraid to do what you want and tell others no. Don’t feel bad for not wanting to be and parent how everyone else does. Be comfortable saying no.

Stay strong, your never perfect and that’s ok. Do your best. AMD let anyone tell you how to raise your kids. Ho with your gut. Last thing, enjoy it. They are only little once and they grow up fast.

Get the zip up onesies. it’s ok to cry. Don’t feel bad if you’re having a hard time breastfeeding. It’s ok to let your baby sleep and you take care of what you need to take care of. You’re still you you’re not just a mom you need to have time to yourself as well. You’re mental health is important makes you a better you!

Be easy on yourself.
You both are learning and growing with each other.
The cleaning can wait, its true that the moments go by fast.
And finally, you are a great momma💕

Time flies, enjoy the best moments and take one moment from a bad to make it a good day. It’s not foing to be easy, one minute they are newborn babies and the next teenagers and then on there own with a family and kids off their own, somedays are going to be harder then others but believe it or not it’s the moments after the hard days that make it all worth while

1 Like

Always have bottle of water for yourself next to your bed and nappies, wipes and change of clothes next to the bed for baby so you don’t have to go too far during the night

A messy house will keep being messy, your baby will change daily, spend your energy on your infant.

It’s okay to be overwhelmed. It’s okay to cry. It’s okay to feel like you cant do this. Every emotion you will feel is okay. Just remember it’s okay to talk about it. It will not and does not make you bad or any less of a mom. How you’re doing mentally is so important. Don’t feel like you have to hide it because you are not alone.

Best advice I’ve ever gotten was, if you have tried everything from changing the diaper to feeding the baby and they are still crying, strip them down and start from scratch. Sometimes its little things that make them cry, like a random hair on their leg.

MAKE LOTS OF VIDEOS.
TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.
This will be your fuel for hard days, even if the kid is the one who made it hard!

Do what works for you, the amount of time I was told I was making a rod for my own back and now I have the most amazing 5 year old. I also have a 3 month old, my 5 year old refused to ever be put down and was a terrible sleeper, we’ve treated my daughter the exact same way and she loves to be put down and sleeps a dream. All babies are different what works for one won’t for another. They sleep or they don’t. Do what works for YOUR family. You’ll do great😘

Trust yourself, take the abundance of advice with a grain of salt. Every baby is different. Just relax, none of us really know what we’re doing.

Don’t co-sleep you’ll never get them out of your bed!

Just be nice to yourself and give yourself and your baby lots of grace. Find your patience and hold on to it.

If you are too overwhelmed its 100%okay to put your baby in a safe place and step away for 5 minutes even if they are crying they can pick up on your energy and if you’ve exhausted all the other options (feeding diaper etc.) It may make the whole situation better if you can just take a deep breath for a second and then return to the situation

1 Like

My mother told me this at nap time don’t tip toe around ur house be normal then the baby will learn to sleep threw everything… I could vaccum in my daughter’s room and she wouldn’t wake up … Don’t rush anything mine will be 13 in May and I’m not ready

Nobody knows what the hell they are doing. Us parents just wing it every day. :joy::joy:🤷

1 Like

Take your naps! Don’t feel guilty for not getting things done. Housework can wait! Take the time to cuddle: play, read.
They grow up to fast

2 Likes

My advice is to RELAX!!! My oldest is going to be 9 next month. I spent SO MUCH time that first year scared to death that I was going to screw him up some how. No juice, no sugar, everything had to be exactly by the book!! I forgot to just take a breath and enjoy him being little.

When the second one came, I was more relaxed. “Oh really??? You are 7 mos old and found your big brother’s sippy cup of juice, huh? Well if the sugar makes you hyper and you don’t take a nap, I don’t want to hear you complain because you did it to yourself, ya know!!”

Please, for your own sanity and to prevent mom guilt later, RELAX!!! Take a breath!!! You got this no matter what so don’t ever doubt yourself!!

You’re gonna want to lose your shit sometimes! It’s ok to put the baby down and walk away for a minute, doesn’t make you a bad mom just makes you human!

Breast milk doesn’t regulate until 12 week.
Diapers are expensive, look into cloth.

Take your sweet time with that precious baby. I know it is said often and I used to be the one to roll my eyes, that I had all the time in the world with them. If you have a preemie, I would highly suggest to buy an owlet sock or something very similar❤ and know that you are a good mother, through good and bad days

Believe in yourself :heart: you are amazing :heart: you will make mistakes but that exactly what they are - mistakes :heart: xxx

You will do fine. Dont be too hard on yourself.

Stop reading all the books about babies, they are not all the same. So what works for others might not work for yours… And you can’t never spoil a baby, babies need their mommies 24/7 and being there and providing support 24/7 makes them grow into secure, stable adults later on in life

Take lots of pictures!

The days/nights are long but the years pass quickly.
Love each precious day.

Don’t over spend on your children. They do not need all those toys or clothes. Make a college fund and go on vacations!
I was also told to make a photo album for them. Print two copies of your pictures so you have one and put one in a photo album for your child. Give it to them as a wedding present. :two_hearts: