When can baby sleep with blanket?

This question was submitted anonymously by real people looking for real advice. Please be mindful with your responses. No bashing or derogatory comments will be tolerated.

8 Likes

Mine always did but I would only let them with the really hole-y blankets.

My first always did, my second kept trying to smother himself (he liked it over his face) so he didnā€™t get one until over a year oldā€¦ and even then I have to fix it after heā€™s asleep.

Mine always slept with a blanket

Recommended they dont start til a year old by doctors. Ours started at about 10 months old or so

My son always had a blanket :blue_heart:

Mine did from birth, all 4!

Mine always did. All of them. Especially my youngest. Just turned one and canā€™t go anywhere without the thing

I never gave my son a blanket when he was under a year old. We used swaddles and sleep sacks in the mean time. But now that he is a bit over the recommend age, even if I do cover him up (keeping the blanket below his arms so theyā€™re free) he will find a way to get it off in his sleep. Or if hes awake he will pull it off.

1 Like

I bedshared until my son was 1 and still do sometimes so heā€™s always had a blanket.

11 Likes

Mines always had a blanket. He didnā€™t like being swaddled and Iā€™ve noticed he cuddles up to his blanket for comfort. Heā€™s almost a year now!

6 Likes

I cover my son with a blanket now and heā€™s 1 year

1 Like

My son is about to turn 1 on Sunday and he uses a large sleep sack when heā€™s in his crib. When heā€™s in his pack n play, where heā€™s kept a closer eye on (aka weā€™re not sleeping too) he uses a blanket. Heā€™s the length/height of an 18 month old! So they do make them pretty big if youā€™re not ready to switch over to a blanket yet. Once he grows out of this sleep sack weā€™ll switch him over to a blanket. Whenever you think your child is (and when you are) ready as long as theyā€™re able to roll over/move the blanket away from their face on their own

Whenever u want them to, use common sense donā€™t use a heavy think blanket and make sure they are not covering their face always check on them. Motherhood can be scary if itā€™s ur first but ur motherly instincts will kick in

4 Likes

Mine has always had a blanket. When in their playard/bassinet they had a sleep sac and a blanket. When moved to their crib they had blankets.

1 Like

Once my son was rolling over was when I started letting him sleep with a stuffed animal. I didnā€™t do a blanket until he stopped moving around as much so it would actually stay on him.

Mine always had blankets. They were swaddled & Iā€™d tuck a blanket in over them. 5 kiddos

1 Like

My son had a blanket pretty much from the start.

6 Likes

My boys always had a blanket usually a light one like a recieving blanket.

3 Likes

Mine always has. Really depends on how vigilant you are and if the child tends to cover his face. We gave him a knit blanket with breathable holes in it from day one.

4 Likes

My son absolutely hates the blanket while sleepingā€¦he will kick it off, so I dont give him one. Heā€™s 16 months.

1 Like

We used sleep sacks and footed pajamas. When I first introduced the blanket I would put it below his arms and tuck it between the crib rails and the mattress so it was hard to pull up on. After a bit he would move it around well, and now is a champ at sleeping with a blanket!

As soon as they are able to roll over and ā€œrescueā€ themselves - mine slept with a blanket from 9 months because he knew how to move it away from him

2 Likes

My son is 22 months and still doesnā€™t :woman_shrugging:t2:

My son has slept with his blankey since he was about 4 months

They make some really great sleep sacks/pajamas that can provide warmth and reduce the risk of blankets. AAP recommendation is at least 12 months for soft things in the crib

2 Likes

My son has always slept with a blanket. I donā€™t sleep so I always check on him. He doesnā€™t pull it up to his face. He just likes to lay on it.

1 Like

Mine always did. Mainly cause he didnā€™t like to be wrapped (swaddle) so he would always manage te get out.
He is now about to be two and cannot sleep without he blanket.

I used sleepers mostly but I think I did when he started walking so, around 9 months or maybe a little before. :thinking:

My sonā€™s pediatrician let us let him sleep with a blanket at 9 months old. Heā€™s now 15 months old

2 Likes

When they are at least a year old. Sleep sacks are much safer if youā€™re worried that they are cold.

2 Likes

From day 1. Donā€™t be a dummy. U try and sleep without a blanket and see how well u sleep. All these parents wonder why they canā€™t get their baby to sleep through the night :woman_facepalming:t3::100:

4 Likes

My son slept sins burt wit a blanket sham howe cold would he have got in winter

I let my son sleep with a blanket at like 4 months. Heā€™s 13 months now.

After a year is the safest. Nothing should be in the crib at all.

Both of mine have had blankets and pillows since we brought them home.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used a blanket since my son was born and same for my niece and nephew. Before they started rolling over we would just tuck it in to the mattress on both sides to keep it in place. After that point we would just place it below their arms. My son started sleeping with a very flat pillow around 8-9 months. At 14 months we even dropped the side of his crib to make it a toddler bed. You just need to know what your child is capable of and your level of comfort with deciding when your child is ready.

1 Like

Mine always had a blanket from day one . All 3 of them . Just use common sense .

8 Likes

My daughter has had a crocheted blanket (her comfort item) in the crib since she was about 7 months old.

Since he was born, I had him in his blankie when we were still in the hospital

1 Like

My son didnā€™t like to be swaddled so we had to use blankets. Heā€™s 13 months and uses his blanket as a soothing mechanism to fall asleep

My sons 9 months and will freak if he donā€™t have a blanket (he loves to chew on it)

My son has slept with a blanket from day one. I just always had a fan going to circulate the air. Heā€™s 11 months now. He loves his blanky now too itā€™s so cute.

My son just turned 8 months and we just started. Just a light receiving blanket.

I waited till all my kids were at least oneā€¦ even then it was only a thin cotton receiving blanket, and then gradually I would increase the size to a toddler blanket. My youngest is two and wraps himself in his blanket so I donā€™t allow him to have any fleece blankets.

My son was about 20 months. It is a small blanket. He usually kicks it off as he sleeps but when I tuck him in I always just put it belly button level and below to just cover his legs and make sure his arms are above it. The biggest thing isā€¦ you know YOUR child and their development! :hugs: I was super nervous at first but he did well.

Not until theyā€™re at least 1

2 Likes

My son is almost a year and just started letting him sleep and nap with a blanket on

My son has since birth but I know itā€™s not safe but heā€™s almost two but I think they say like 1

Used sleep sacks until he could roll over by himself and now he has to have a blanket to sleep. Wonā€™t sleep with out it.

I switched my son from a sleep sack to a blanket around 13 months

Most cribs say no blanket until a toddler bedā˜ŗļø so 15 months+

NHS recommends after 1, mine didnā€™t get one till they were in a real bed as the risk of suffocation is higher in a cot as the blanket canā€™t fall away from them onto the floor. A sleeping bag was plenty until then

Itā€™s all preference. My son has slept with a blanket since he was born. I also co sleep. So :woman_shrugging:t2:

Weā€™ve used a blanket since day one

1 Like

I waited until my son was 2-2.5

I waited until my son could move the blanket from his face and could from from belly to back/back to belly. He was 10 months when I started letting him actually sleep with a blanket. Now he wonā€™t sleep without one. lol just donā€™t put the blanket passed their little shoulder bladesā€¦ I always made sure it was under his arm pits

I always put a blanket on both of my babies :woman_shrugging:

All 3 had a blankie, just the beginning.

Both my kids were in their crib in their own room on night one of being home. Both had blankets.

1 Like

My kids always used one since day one

They say 1. We could have done it earlier. He loves his blanket. He covers himself by sitting up putting the blanket over his head then laying down :joy:

Mine sleep with one since birth to nowšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø currently 15 months old

Safe Infant Sleep - Evidence-Based Support Group
This is a great group for advice if you want to join.

Safe Infant Sleep - Evidence-Based Support Group