When can I start feeding baby rice cereal?

I got the ok to start feeding my baby rice cereal but I don’t want to give it would I be able to do smashed fruits? Or what can I do? My baby will be 4 months next week and breastfed only if that makes any difference idk it’s been awhile.

6 Likes

Honestly, I’d skip the rice cereal altogether. It really isn’t that nutritious.

1 Like

Rice cereal has no nutritional value to it. I used oatmeal and put some fruit in there.

7 Likes

My daughters all had rice cereal in bottles at 2 months and started baby food at 4 months

1 Like

My dr had me start on rice, but she had me start at a young age because he was a big boy, the milk wasn’t enough for him. But rice cereal plain is the best to start with because easier on the stomach and safer with an allergic reaction. When u do start with baby food ,start with veggies, teach them to like vegetable, if u start with he good stuff thats what they want

4 Likes

Unless advised by hv or professional 6m + x

Use oatmeal not rice put in bowl with spoon NOT the bottle please

1 Like

I used millet mixed with breast milk. Much better than rice.

I wouldn’t do rice cereal at all. Oatmeal cereal.

Wait until 6 months & all signs of readiness are met. Sitting unassisted for a few min on their own is a sign also. Open gut is real. Also, skip the rice cereal. It has no nutritional value & small amounts of arsenic in it. When you start food at 6 months + do BLW & skip the baby food all together. You don’t have to give one thing at a time.

1 Like

I fed my twins on flavoured baby cereal.

What does your pediatrician suggest?

From what I remember the reason they start you out on just rice, then oat etc is so they can make sure there is no allergies. If you start mixing fruit and they have a allergic reaction then you have a longer process to figure out what they’re allergic too. That’s why they would wait and then slowly introduce one food at a time. But that was 35 years ago so not sure if that’s still the way they do things

1 Like

Rice cereal is actually not good for bbys. Nor is eating at 4 months, but for some reason everyone is hopping on the 4 months train. I’d wait until 6-7 months and stick with oatmeal as a cereal if you choose cereal, which you shouldn’t lol. There’s been a study where babies shouldn’t even eat until they have teeth or their molars. However, I do think baby food around 6-7 months is fair, and not often.

4 Likes

My baby just turned 4 months old and has had reflux. She was also a preemie so she’s under weight. The doctor said to give her cereal, avocados, stuff high in fat and calories. She actually said to wait to feed fruits and veggies because they don’t have the calories that growing babies need…

1 Like

Rice cereal is the only cereal pediatricians want you to give them because the others cause allergies and the formula has everything in it they need however some parents insist on starting cereal earlier than necessary

The rice cereal has nothing to it and pointless. Better going to other soft foods.

They’re starting to say you can start baby as early as 4 months, but their gut isn’t ready. You’re better off waiting until baby shows you they’re ready (tongue thrusting is gone, sitting up, able to participate, etc). Some aren’t ready until 7+ months while others are capable at 6.

9 Likes

Mu husband started one of our grandsons on rice cereal when he was just a few days old
Baby cried constantly until he got food (rice ceral). He is now 43 years old, very healthy and there are very few foods he does not like and he has no food allergies.

I believe you want to wait til 6 months for food due to allergies.

The best bet is to ask a licensed doctor and maybe get a second opinion from another doctor.

Doctor Facebook unfortunately is NOT THE BEST

1 Like

Our allergist said to wait till 6 months. Bc their digestive tracks are not fully formed until about 6 months and feeding anything but formula/breast milk before then can cause stomach issues.
I’d hold off a bit before food.

3 Likes

I started mine on cereal at 2 weeks and baby food at a month. She’s 41 and fine. By the way we did it for the grandkids too

11 Likes

4 months for my 3 kids. But I didn’t use rice cereal I started on watered down fruit and veg purées

cereal can be given between 4-6 mths especially if seems hungry and breastfeeing and formula doesnt seem like enough but do for a week make sure not allergic.

When you do start which isn’t a good idea till 6 months. Do not start with fruit… Veggies And only one at a time to make sure of no allergies

2 Likes

Drs recommend rice as the first food introduced because it’s the 1 w the least allergies. It’s easy on the stomach. Why skip to fruit?

2 Likes

6 months with signs of readiness but rice cereal has no nutritional value.

8 Likes

My daughter’s pediatrician told me that my daughter could start on rice cereal at 6 months of age. She wouldn’t eat just straight rice cereal though. I had to mix some sort of baby food fruit with it. She loved apples, pears and bananas. Be careful with bananas though. They caused my daughter to be super constipated. To get her flowing again, we just put maple syrup in her bottle and that got her back on track.

2 Likes

My girls are grown Adults now and I have teenage grandchildren, but for both generations the pediatrician said breast milk only for the first 4-6 months then introduce rice cereal after they have had that daily for 1 week, slowly introduce other foods starting with other cereals then going to banana, applesauce, yellow veggies, green veggies etc . Never give two new foods in a week, so you can tell if the baby reacts poorly to it. Avocado and boiled eggs can be started at 9 months. We were told to start meats next. Peanut butter and strawberries are the highest risk for allergic reactions and our pediatricians recommended waiting until after 18 months to introduce those. Just saying what we were told. It also was recommended to continue to breast feed until 1, but most of ours did until they were 2.

Vegetables steamed or boiled then put in processor to make it easier for digestion! Goats milk is very nourishing for baby’s

She should probably ask her pediatrician or a registered dietitian.