When did you know your child was ready to potty train?

When did you know your toddler wanted to be potty trained? My daughter recently has started taking off her diaper and asks me to change her (right after I change her) and tells me to change her (even though she’s dry). My daughter is 2.7

2 Likes

I didn’t wait for my daughter’s to be ready once they turned 1 I bought a potty chair and Everytime I went to use the bathroom I would take off their diaper and bring them into the bathroom with me and sit them on their potty…worked like a charm!

Once my daughter started taking her nappy off (18 months) I started popping her on a portable potty in the toilet room. She’d sit on it when I sat on the loo. She was toilet trained at 22 months.

2 Likes

Showing interest in using the potty. Only took a weekend of consistency. My boys were potty trained by 2 1/2.

2 Likes

I didn’t wait to see when they were ready. I started training my kids when they were walking stable around 1.5 and were trained by 2 where they knew when to let someone know they needed to go. By 3 they went on their own but needed help to wipe. By 4 they were going on their own and wiping.

5 Likes

My daughter was 18 months old when she was potty trained, I think most girls train earlier than boys. Just my opinion. I think she’s ready.

She sounds ready! If she can communicate that with you she can definitely realize when she has to potty! My daughter fully potty trained (by herself for the most part) by 2yo. My son on the other hand was alot older than that. Make it fun, let her pick out her own new undies, plan to stay home or bring a portable tiny toilet with you if you’re in the go and you can get it done in less than a week if you’re persistent with her, and reward for every potty in the toilet🥰

I didn’t wait I introduced them to the potty by 2 they were trained just needed help wiping.

1 Like

Taking off a diaper is not a sign of readiness. It’s just a discovery thing. You’ll know when she starts going to the potty. They’ll go on their own when ready.

1 Like

i never “waited” for that. you’ll be forever waiting with some kids tbh. i started first birthdays. all of mine except for one (he’s autistic) were done with diapers with a few weeks

When she started taking off her diaper everytime she went potty it :woman_facepalming:t3::sweat_smile:

I’m old school. I believe they should be potty trained by 2.

4 Likes

My daughter’s started following me into the bathroom asking why I sit to potty I explained to them that’s what big girls do and they jumped on board

I don’t believe in “they will when ready” crap. I picked a day and did it. We stuck with it and never quit. I started the day my kids turned 2. My middle child only took 2 weeks to be fully trained night and day. My youngest was a little harder. He was non verbal at the time. Took me 3 months night and day with him.

I always take them and let them pick out a training potty. I then place it in the bathroom and have them sit on it when I go to the bathroom. Right after wake up and 30 min after meals. There is no pressure if they don’t want to sit that’s OK. If they do go we do a celebration dance and make a big deal about it. After the first couple times of then going on the potty we buy a pack of underwear and have them wear those with no other clothes on in the house if they have an accident we just day oh no we have to remember to go on the potty and have them sit for a minute. No punishment for accidents. I have trained all 5 of my kids this way and countless daycare babies over 20 years and have had all my kiddos trained within a couple weeks. I never use pull-ups unless bedtime or long car rides

I always introduce it at 2. offer it reward them for it. don’t make a fuss at accidents just remind them to go in the toilet and to tell you when they’ve had an accident so you can clean them up. eventually they’ll flip a switch. my 1st was 3 before his switch flipped and my 2nd was 2½ when his flipped. everyone uses the toilet and now it’s their turn to learn it. diapers are for babies and people that need help you aren’t a baby and you’re capable of going in the toilet so we have to stop buying diapers. waterproof mattress protector. backup clothes on outings. potty timers. there’s potty videos and songs that help make it a positive experience. before bed. after waking up. look for wiggles and private spot grabbing. sometimes they hold it too long and make a mad dash easier to catch it before they do. interrupt play sessions to potty and let them know everything will wait for them they won’t miss out. some kids get fomo.

Started 18-24 with different kids , my current is 19m and we have recently started. I walk in the bathroom and she was sitting on The potty (fully clothed)

I hate posts like these bc all these parents love to come on and shame everyone for not potty training by THEIR age they think it should be . There are children who have issues and it doesn’t work that easily . You need to be careful what you’re saying bc you speak and don’t even care who yall hurt on here .

1 Like