When did you start pumping?

When did everyone start pumping ? I asked when I could and the nurse responded saying not until after baby? But everyone I know was able to start around 36/37 weeks of pregnancy. Curious if anyone else pumped while pregnant?

7 Likes

It can induce contractions. So if you have a high risk pregnancy or pregnancy complications they probably will tell you not to pump till after baby and to try to hold off on pumping as long as possible to let your body regulate and not create an over supply

Listen to the nurses and doctors.
Pumping can bring on early labour.
The baby gets colostrum for the first hours/days. They need that.
What’s the point of Pumping now? Just relax and get ready for baby in other ways.

1 Like

After baby is born, not sure why you would start earlier.

Pumping to early will cause u to go into early labor. U want ur baby to stay in ur belly as long as possible

2 Likes

Pumping will cause you to go into labour.

You can hand express colostrum to store though

1 Like

Your body doesn’t even produce milk until a few days after baby is born. Also it can induce early labor. So I wouldn’t.

5 Likes

Just chill girl friend. I know the end is hard. Save that good good for the baby :heart::heart::heart: you got this. We are so strong and don’t event realize it :heart: YOU got this

Let baby stay in there as long as possible, her lungs won’t be ready yet- pumping will only further increase the risk of her coming early …… you will be able to pump when she arrives

I never pumped - just fed my baby when he was born . And fed when ever he wanted . Didn’t have a pump back then - he’s 35 now .

1 Like

Once the baby is born that Is when u should pump!

You have no idea if your baby is coming early. Literally none if you’re not in active labor. Pumping could cause early labor and there’s zero reason to WANT to initiate that.
Please let your baby come when your baby wants and let your body sue what’s it’s supposed to do. If your baby comes early, you can legit just pump when she’s born…

7 Likes

That is very strange that your doctor would say that :grimacing: With my last one I contracted for several weeks on and off before going into labor. There’s no way of knowing your baby is coming early and there’s no reason you need to really, you can pump colostrum once baby is born or just nurse her.

10 Likes

You don’t want colostrum early and have it in the freezer. Just wait until she arrives and it will be fresh. If you pump while pregnant your going to start contractions. It’s best to keep baby in as long as possible for baby health. If you haven’t already ask OB Doctor to give injections to get baby lungs ready in case she does come earlier.

2 Likes

And also, you can pump once baby is born. You likely won’t leave the hospital much if at all and u will pump more than she will be able to eat at first anyways until your milk regulates.

1 Like

You could be in early labour for weeks before she comes. Don’t encourage the labour.

4 Likes

Pumping will only increase the contractions. If you’re at risk already, I wouldn’t.

10 Likes

I would ask your Dr or wait, I know some drs are OK with their patients start pumping around 37 weeks due to “full term” or unless your have other circumstances. Stimulating is probably not the best right now unless dr says otherwise.

There is absolutely no reason ever to intentionally do something to help your baby come early especially with the chance of ANY nicu stay.

10 Likes

No…
You’re not to pump until after birth…
You should want your baby to stay in as long as possible and “only a week or two at most in nicu” is a horrible thing… why do you want your baby to suffer and be hooked up to tubes and wires?! All for what?! A few drops of colostrum?! You’ll have enough for her after she’s born. You have no idea if she’s coming early or not, just because you’re contacting doesn’t mean she’s coming early… with my 3rd I started contracting at 18 weeks… and I was also dilated at that time too… she stayed in until 41 weeks and 10 lbs.
HOLD YOUR BABY IN AS LONG AS POSSIBLE… Those last few weeks are SO IMPORTANT.

Not sure why so many women want to pump now before they’re having their babies. The milk will come in once you deliver and no reason to try to push it to happen before arrival and stress your body out. Plus, trying to force lactation could defintely cause you to go into preterm labor.

1 Like

I’d wait. My first came at 36+5 and was in the NICU for a week due to breathing and jaundice. If you pump now you increase the chance of preterm labor. Don’t pump till the baby is here.

1 Like

I pumped immediately after birth but he was born at 32 weeks. If your baby IS a preemie and stays in the NICU you’ll pump in the hospital and the colostrum you pump then will be enough. But I would wait for her to come on her own time, don’t force labor. My Dr. also thought a week or 2 in the NICU and he was there for 6 weeks.

1 Like

Don’t pump you deliver early .The baby will come when it time to come early or not .Pumping will make you deliver early .I don’t understand why any Dr would tell someone that. You will have plenty of time to pump after baby arrives.

I’m 39.2 weeks and have been 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced for 4 weeks now. Your doctor is wild for suggesting that. I’ve also been contracting since 30 weeks. I would definitely wait to pump.

If you pump, you are going to increase your chances of an early birth. I was in preterm labor off and on from 23 weeks on. I stopped att meds at 36 weeks and the doc told me he would see me that night. I was induced at 41 weeks with high BP. They have no idea when you will deliver

1 Like

Your doctor is an idiot. She can very well stay for a few more weeks. Don’t pump until she’s born.