When do babies sleep through the night? My newborn is 5 months old and is up twice per night

This question was submitted anonymously by real people looking for real advice. Please be mindful with your responses. No bashing or derogatory comments will be tolerated.

8 Likes

That’s no bad twice a night my eldest slept 12 hrs straight fae 3 weeks old. My youngest never slept I cud b up every 10 mins for the first year an a half an he still hardly sleeps an he’s 7. He just doesn’t need much sleep but oh I do he burns me out x

I have 5 boys my 4 oldest always woke up. My youngest boy sleeps all night ive used a sleeping bag with my youngest and a sleeping pillow from baby’s r us not sure if this helps him sleep the full night. He will go to sleep from 7 and wake up around 6 to 7 every morning xx

My babe is 10 months old and wake up every hour, just for a few sucks in her botte of milk and back to sleep :pensive::sleeping: and shes teething so isnt fun at all. :pleading_face:

Have 2 boys. 1st didnt sleep till he was 3 hes a teenager now and I cant get him out of bed lol. 2nd didnt sleep till he was 4

I was BLESSED, my baby came home from the hospital sleeping ALL night. To this day, 45 yrs later, she still sleeps all night long

2 Likes

Idk what I did but my baby has been sleeping through the night since she was 2 weeks old. I just feed her a bottle before bed and give her a bath and swaddle and she goes to sleep. When she was a 3 months old she was eating 8 ounces in the morning, 6 ounces during the day and 8 ounces before bed. Now she’ll be 6 months old, eating baby food for lunch and dinner with a 6 ounces bottle. Plus a 6 ounce bote with oatmeal mixed with before bed and morning .

1 Like

All babies have different stages when they want to sleep right through the night, my daughter started sleeping right through at 3months, it depends on when they’re ready to really❀

All babies are different. I was lucky my daughter was sleeping through the night at 2 months old. You just have to get them into a routine

2 Likes

My daughter slept through from 6 weeks, my son was 4years.

Our first born was sleeping through by 6 months. Our twins didn’t until 18 months. Every baby is different.

Mine slept through around five months. She is eight months today and she most days sleep through the night. She does get up to nurse some times

I hate to say it but my 2 year old still doesn’t sleep through consistently

1 Like

My 2 yr old still wakes at least 2 or 3 times a night

1 Like

My sister gave me the tip to feed my son cereal at five months instead of watching until my doctor’s instructed 6 months. I think he needed the extra sustainable because he started sleeping very close to all night!

My baby is 9 years old and still doesn’t sleep through the night!:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My two year old still doesn’t sleep all night :sleeping:

1 Like

All babies are different, my first was by 6 weeks, my second by 6 months, my 3rd is 10 months and I think we are a long way off from it! My opinion is shes evil :joy::joy:

My grandson is 1yrs old he gets up once for a bottle

They are up less than my 2.5yr old :smirk::rofl:

My ‘baby’ has only JUST started sleeping right through the nights
 he’s 6
 :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

My son is 19 months and still wakes thru the night

When they start school lol

1 Like

18 months and this child still wakes up.

My 2 year old started last week :raised_hands:t4::rofl:

1 Like

Kids 17, 10 and 2 and I’ve not slept through the night for almost 18 years :sleeping::sleeping:

2 Likes

Just depends on baby
 mine woke up at least once in the night till maybe 2?

My daughter started sleeping through at about 2years old x

My baby is 1 and she still wakes up :sob::pleading_face::woozy_face:

I started cereal ASAP

Mine didn’t sleep through the night until 20 months

All babies are so different. My kids varied and it always changed .

Mine did when he was 5 and a half years old. Was begging to wonder if I even knew what sleep was anymore

1 Like

Every child is different. Your child does not know it should be sleeping x amount of hrs a night. When my little one was 5 months she woke every 2.5 hrs. Did my friend’s babies do the same? Some woke more, some woke less. My little one started sleeping through the night at some point between 2.5 and 3.

Both my babies started sleeping all night when they were a year old my oldest is 3 and my youngest is 2. They have a set bedtime everynight. My oldest sleeps betweeen 8 and 11 hours once in a blue moon he will get up once or twice. My youngest sleeps all night to with occasionally getting up once or twice but he sleeps in till about 8 or 9 my oldest gets up at 7.

My son started sleeping from 9:30pm-7:30am at 3 months. For me, the more he ate during the day the better he would sleep at night. I also only put him in his bassinet when it is night time

Give a little cereal mixed in bottle i did it with my two children and slept through the night

2 Likes

One of six woke up a lot. :flushed: a lot. I found if you can keep them awake til 10 they sleep til between 5 and 6 am. Any sleep over five hours is success. She’s almost 7 months now and goes to bed at about 10-10:30 and sleeps til about 6:45-8 depending on how much she ate the night before and how much she was active. I will confess that my kids don’t nap after eight months old except maybe an hour during the day so I’m sure that helps

All 5 of my kids slept all night at 6 weeks. Back then we fed them cereal at night. That’s how the drs did it.

1 Like

That’s amazing for 5 months old. My youngest just turned 1, she has been sleeping pretty much through the night. Sometimes wakes up 1 time to be changed. Instead of immediately running to her when she’d wake, we waited a couple minutes before comforting her.
However, my oldest didn’t sleep through the night until she was 4 :grimacing:

1 Like

All 5 of my kiddos have slept pretty much the same schedule from birth. Last feed at about 1030pm then wake around 445 for a few mins then back down :smirk:

I have three all I 30s now they were all different. One was 6 months old. If it’s a girl maybe later
lol my daughter was 2 before she slept through the night
the third one was 3 months old

My sons slept through the night as soon as I brought them home from the hospital. My daughter it was 18 months one night then sporadically until she was 2.

My grandson slept well for the first 6 months. But then after that, it has been terrible. He does not sleep well at night. He either cries like if he is hungry, or has a tummy ache, or throws a fit. The pediatrician thinks it might be night terrors, but I don’t feel that it is. I just don’t know
 Ant suggestions or thoughts???

All three of mine were sleeping thru the night 10+ hours by 5 months :woman_shrugging:t2:
All I know is I was crazy with their schedule and making sure they knew day and night they’d have 1-2 naps and bedtime would be late maybe 9-10 so I could rest

Again I read a lot and wanted them on a schedule and it worked for me but everyone abs every child is different

All children are different. At 5 months my son was sleeping 12 hours straight

My LG started sleeping through at 8 weeks. We usually fed her at around 11-12 and she sleeps til 8am ish

Twins here, one slept at 12 months, the other at 17 months. Through the night for me was 8hrs non stop. From 3 years they sleep 10-11 hrs non stop.

Neither of mine slept through until they were 5 years old :roll_eyes:

My son is over a year and stills wakes up at least once

Use aromatherapy at nighttime. Or baby Vic’s bath. Very relaxing 
warm milk

All my kids started sleeping through the night at 4yrs old ugh my 3yr old still comes into my room around 4am then kicks me all night long

My oldest didn’t till 9 months, my youngest was 2! Kiss sanity and sleep goodbye

Every child is different. Mine was sleeping through the night by 3-4 weeks old.

My almost 18 month old started sleeping through the night at 11 months :joy::joy: but we still have at least one bad night a fortnight!

My baby is almost a year and will sleep through the “night” starting at 2am :woozy_face:

It depends on the baby. Mine has slept all night since like 2-3 weeks old

My son started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks old.

My oldest is 14 and is up all night I don’t think it ends

When you find out let me know. My son is 4 and still get up

Mine never slept through the night till after a year.

Starting the serial worked wonders for my children.

3 months. Guess I was blessed though

My boys at about 1 year, my girls 6 months.

They’re not supposed to :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Let’s see
 mine moved out at age 20, so at least age 20
 :smiley: hang in there!!!

Mine didn’t until 7 months

My daughter is 3 and still doesn’t sleep through the night.

My 5 year old still doesn’t sleep through the night