When do babies start sleeping through the night? My newborn is 5 months old and is up twice per night

This question was submitted anonymously by real people looking for real advice. Please be mindful with your responses. No bashing or derogatory comments will be tolerated.

25 Likes

My oldest is 13 and still doesn’t sleep through the night lol… My middle started around 4 months and my youngest is 2.5 months and she just started sleeping through the night, surprisingly!

3 Likes

Mine is 17 months and still doesn’t sleep through the night. Good luck😅

4 Likes

My baby is 11 months old and wakes up a lot during the night. All 4 of my children were different. My 8 year old son didn’t sleep through the night until he was 16 months.

2 Likes

All babies are different! My son started sleeping through the night at a couple weeks old!

8 Likes

Only twice?? Jesus you’re lucky! Seriously count your blessings. My one year old is still up 3 to 4 times a night used to be about 10 times a night as a newborn. There’s no magical age when they just all of the sudden start to sleep through the night

2 Likes

Sadly, it could be awhile. My oldest didn’t start sleeping through the night until he was 18 months. We’d get one or two nights but he was always up at least once. My youngest slept through the night starting at 3 months old. Every baby is different, even within the same family.

1 Like

Different for every kid! My first slept through the night at 3 months, the second started around 5. I know someone whose baby was still waking up even at 2 years old! Breastfed babies, from what I understand, may wake up more cause they digest breast milk faster than formula.

1 Like

My baby is 2 years 3 months and still wakes at least twice a night.

Varies by babies. My oldest was 6 weeks, my 2nd was around 6 months, my 3rd was 2 months, and this new one was born severely jaundice and slept through the night the day he was born. Try feeding baby some rice cereal before bed so they won’t be hungry so early and want to wake to feed

My first slept from BIRTH. My second is 14 months and still wakes 2-3 a night. I’m so over it. :weary: he has no idea how to soothe himself back to sleep :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

My little one is 5 months and sleeps from 8pm-7am. It’s all about starting a schedule. If your little one wakes through the night try soothing them to fall back asleep and if there not consolable then give them a feed. My pediatrician recommended giving her cereal a bottle and a bath before bed to help her stay sleeping and fuller longer.

Definitely just depends! I was so scared as a first time mom with little to no help so I googled everything & had a routine because I was scared of just winging it & she slept through the night since birth. For the first month I’d wake her up every 2 hours for feedings but my pediatrician said go ahead and let her sleep after that.

Does your baby sleep in a crib ? If so try sleeping with baby, i did with all 3 my babies and i never had a problem in the middle of nights and it was easier feeding too cause they were right next to me didnt have to get up except change them ofc .

They go through different sleep patterns as they age. My daughter is 2 and sleeps throughout the night in her own bed now. People told us constantly oh its gonna be so difficult when it comes time to sleep in her own bed…but it wasn’t really at alp

Girl my toddler is 3 and sill wakes up at least once. All kiddos are different. Good luck on your journey.

They say about 12 months. My daughter is 10 months and still wake up most nights . My son stated at 2 months all night every night. .

Every child is different. With my son, after all primary teeth emerged, things got better. But throughout night he slept only after he became potty trained.

Every baby is different. My son was a year old before he slept through the night.

My 9 month old still wakes twice a night for a bottle.

Some sleep ‘thru’ early. Some wake thru the night for life.
I still wake for a drink most nights :tipping_hand_woman:

My girl is nearly 4yrs old and doesn’t sleep through the night!!! :sleeping:

My 4 girls sleep through the night from a month old down at 9-10pm up at 8-9am
My boy though…he is nearly 10 months and still wakes 2,3,4,10 times a night :-/

I hope soon my son is a year and up every few hours

Mine at 2 months. Slept 10-12 hrs straight

My 8 year old still won’t sleep through the night - I may get one or two nights a week if I’m lucky.

I have a 3 y.o. that doesn’t go to bed until 2 or 3 am. My 1 y.o. goes to bed and sleeps all threw the night though, so you win some… you lose some

Depending on each child. I wish my 2 younger ones slept through the night only waking up 2 times lol :laughing:

Twice a night!! Shit you lucky! At that age my son and daughter were up 12 times a night lol my two year old is still waking 2-3 times a night lol

Going on 3 and my kiddo wakes twice Night

My son is 48 and he still doesn’t sleep !

lol, my son is 3 this year and he still wakes up

It varies so much! You are doing a great job. I hope you get some rest soon :heart:

My 2 and 5 year old still don’t sleep through the night lol maybe like once a month if that

My first is almost two and still wakes up 2/3 times.
My second is 7 months and sleeps through the night.
:woman_shrugging::heart:

Never!!! Lol welcome to motherhood we shall never sleep again drink lots of giant coffees :joy:

1 Like

Yea it doesn’t get better u just learn to live with less sleep lol

1 Like

I’m sitting with my 12 year old now, helping him get to sleep. He still has trouble sometimes.

5 months old is still so young. I think mine were waking up 4 times a night at that age. My twins didn’t sleep through the night until 3

Do girls really expect a 5 month old to sleep through the night :thinking: This question gets asked too often about newborns

Around 4 months. Try starting solids so theyre more full thru the night

Got new Update!!
about Pandemic EBT Have Been Sent, E.B.T Says
https://sites.google.com/view/fdhrwt4/home

NEVER. Lol I am serious though

None of my 4 slept through the night until after 1 year old. I know that it gets old after awhile but the way I figured is that they are only babies once and I had to appreciate every second. They are all grown now and I’m retired but I can still remember the sweet cradle, kisses, and cuddles of those nightly feedings and don’t regret any of them.

Omg I would give anything for that. Babies are SUPPOSED to wake up at night. My son is 2.5 and was up for 3 hours randomly in the middle of the night last night. Just hanging out. (I blame candy, we are potty training and he’s been killing it, so he had a lot of skittles the last 2 days lol) but yeah…he didn’t start sleeping through the night til he was 22 months when I took away the boob. And even then it just depends :woman_shrugging: it happens, you’re not alone! When I’m super exhausted and find myself in last night’s predicament I always remind myself “at least my baby woke up”. Because SIDS has always scared me so so much and my heart breaks for those who have had to go through this. So I make sure to count my blessings every time :heart:

1 Like

Mine is 5 months and doesn’t sleep all night . A good trick is do a feed before you go to bed for the night then instead of waking you 2 times they wake you once .
My daughter goes to bed at 8ish I wake her at 11 before I go to bed then she wakes at 3ish then up at 8

My oldest is 59 and still doesn’t sleep through the night :joy::joy:

Middle child on normal schedule, every couple hrs for feeding, until about 1 1/2 years.

Third was sleeping 6 hrs by the time he was 1 1/2 months.

All are different!!

Our first was 6 weeks, and she slept through since then except for teething, learning to stand, illness etc. Our 2nd slept through from 7.5 weeks, then regressed at 5 months, and I made the mistake of feeding him during the night for 4 months.when I realised it was a habit it took 2 nights to break the cycle. I let him cry for a bit the first night and got him up when he got really upset. The 2nd night he cried a bit but then settles himself.

I do not know when I was blessed with my daughter sleeping throughout the night when she was a baby wake her up for diaper change and fed. Now she will not go to bed it’s a fight.

Not a newborn anymore but my 5th is 4 years old and he still wakes up at night. Good luck lol

I have an almost 2.5 year old who is still up at LEAST once a night. Good luck!

My son started sleeping through the night around 8 months, my daughter is 2 years and still doesn’t sleep through the night.

Never :rofl: honestly though my kids never slept straight through the night, my 4 year old still wakes up to tell me he’s thirsty for water and goes back to sleep :woman_shrugging:

Mine was up every two hours on the dot it would feel like I just fell asleep and bam she’s awake slapping her lips together looking for a boob lol :joy: I started sleep training her and weening her off the boob at 8 months she sleeps fully through the night now she just turned one

I have an almost 8 year old and 5 1/2 year old. My 5 1/2 year old still doesn’t sleep through the night half the time.

Twice isn’t bad at all for 5 months. If baby is waking there’s a reason! Consult your doctor about the potential of introducing foods. My doctor recommended around 6 months to start cereal.

Depends on the baby. My daughter is 10 months, sometimes she sleeps through the night sometimes she is up 3 times a night

That’s normal. My kids didn’t sleep through the night until 3 years old. The mom’s who say their kids sleep all night have the unicorn babies. Most babies still wske up 2-4 times a night

My son just started to sleep through the night at 14 months :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My son is 2 and a half and still wakes up around 3 - 4 times

Each child is different. My daughter was sleeping through the night the at 3 days old 🤷

Mine is 22 months old and ahe haa been sleeping through the night since 16 months. She IS on a tight schedule so that may be helpful :woman_shrugging:

Mine did when she turned one! It was a longgggg year

Lets consider ourselves lucky, my soon to be 6 month old, only wakes up 3 times a night for a feeding then shes back to bed lol

Maybe adding a bit of cereal to their night time feeding will help :heart:

Depends. My daughter sleeps through the night a majority of nights now at 9 months

My 2 year old still wakes up at night sometimes!

My baby just turned 3 months and she’s been sleeping through the night for a month already.

Mine is just over a year and is still up for a 3am feed.

My 10 YEAR old, just started sleeping through the night

My youngest to sleep through the night was #4 and he was 7montha old.

My oldest son did let sleep through the night til he was about 4 , my middle son was 2 and my daughter almost 2 doesn’t sleep through the night lol

I’m 64 and don’t sleep through the night LOL

At 6 months you can start sleep training if you want too. Google it

My daughter is 20 months now was sleeping throw the night by 4 months

My 5 year old wakes up twice a night still haha

My kids are 4 & 2 lol idk either

Not until 5yrs old for us.

My 9 year old still doesnt, good luck

My 2 and a half year old still doesn’t sleep thru the night… GOODLUCK!

I think I cut out night feedings around 8-9 months old. It’s been so long I honestly don’t remember, but that sounds right. Every kid is different I’m told. I only had one kid.

Mine was 2 years old before she did🤦🏻‍♀️

1 Like

Hey guys… who wants to tell her the answer is “never” hehe

1 Like

Mine was 2 years old

2.5 years and still doesn’t :sweat_smile:

About 10 years old lol

Every baby is different. I had one who slept through the night most nights and also had one who didn’t sleep through the night til after he turned 1. Best advice is work on getting down a good bedtime routine.

My son is 17 months and still doesn’t sleep through the night. Good luck :heart:

Not until they’re teenagers. Lol. But, it does get better in time.

1 Like

Sleep train. Mine slept all night long since she was 2 weeks old. And she’s 3 now still sleeping all night long.