When do kids stop enjoying school?

When do kids stop enjoying school? I’m honestly just curious. I never liked school but I was homeschooling. My oldest is almost 7 and almost done with 1st grade. She started school when she was 4 and attended pre school. It caused her to open up more as she was shy but she’s loved school for the last 3 years and complains every weekend that she’s not at school. She literally doesn’t ever want to be at home. She’d rather be at school, lol. Even when she’s home, she has this drawing tablet that she uses to write and do math. WILLINGLY. She loves to read and honestly, she’s a pro at it too. I was adopted and suffered some issues around her age, so I couldn’t read, count or nothing at her age. I’m not really complaining. Just wandering if it’s normal to love school as much as she does. I do some homework with her, and she’s really smart but if an answers wrong, she insists I’m wrong and that she knows it and it’ll lead to an argument but otherwise, going to school and learning she just loves. I know public schools also do things that make learning fun too. Not sure if her love of school will change as she gets older. Also. She rarely plays with toys. She’d rather read, write and watch tv. Also stuff like math on her writing tablet, arts and crafts and if we have any learning activity books, she wants to do that too.

17 Likes

My 1st grader is the same way. He’s six and everything revolves around school. I think a child’s love for school is subjective based on their own personal experiences with other kids and teachers. Some are natural at making friends and fit with everyone, others are more introverted and end up being adopted by the extroverts. I think they love it until something happens that makes them not love it.

2 Likes

While school experiences are universal, it’s awesome your daughter is liking it so much! I personally started disliking it probably in 4th grade. I also was in a similar situation to yourself around your older kiddos age and navigating lots of big emotions, loving that I was making friends and acted out because it was so different from my previous school.

She could have a wonderful teacher, classmates and it’s making her experience so much more positive! That age kids are generally excited about learning, eager to be “ first”. It sounds like you’re giving your children the support they need! Good job, mom!

1 Like

Yes,some kids absolutely love school! And please let her enjoy it and become successful! Me on the other hand, hated school! Lol

1 Like

She sounds amazing! Keep encouraging her! How about playing card games and matching games too!

2 Likes

Some kids always love school - she may well be one of them!

1 Like

My daughter loves school and she always plays learning games on her tablet

1 Like

Young one, this is a good thing. Her mind is opening up and absorbing information like a sponge - and her social skills will only improve with proper guidance. I enjoyed school from preschool through 3 colleges. Some of us just love learning- it’ll be okay, Momma. :heart:🫶🏽:sunflower:

1 Like

My brother and I could of been students for life​:laughing::sweat_smile::rofl::joy:love learning and always loved school!

2 Likes

Every kid is different. My oldest was an only child until about 8yo so he loved being around other kids and got sad around summer and always looked forward to the school year. My youngest (4yo) was over it after the second week and walks in with his angry face on. So enjoy it :woman_shrugging:t2:

My son is 15 n likes it but we’ve had him in sports n school stuff since was little
Sports really help him motivate to keep grades n stuff up

1 Like

My son has always loved school, he’s graduating in a few months. My daughters not so much. My youngest I swear is allergic to school :laughing:

That’s a blessing that she enjoys learning. Be thankful.

1 Like

Bless you! Embrace it! Hopefully it will never ween.

1 Like

I always loved school. Would have lived there if I could.

My daughter likes school but she asks to stay home a lot.

My son never wants to go. He’s always asking “how many days left” lol.

They just want to stay home and play. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Every kid is different so that’s not a question any of us can really answer. I hated school, my brother and sister loved it. My son is homeschooled but doesn’t really like school either. My nephew was the same as your daughter, loved it until he went to middle school and his sister loved it all the way through high school. Your daughter may always love it, she may change her mind in a year, she may change her mind when she gets to middle school or high school. None of us are cut from the same cloth so it’s an answer that only time will tell.

1 Like

My 11 year old loves school. She loves learning. She’s currently in 5th grade, has amazing grades but has become extremely nervous about switching to middle school next year.

1 Like

Just be happy she enjoys it

1 Like

My daughter absolutely loves school. I had her parent teacher meet and the teacher just thought she was the most amazing role model she was so kind and lovely. In my head I was like she’s a not when she comes home lol… it’s literally a fight to get her to stay home when she’s sick I have to beg her. Every weekend it’s is there school tomorrow lol

So what exactly is the problem?

When my daughter learned to read she said she had enough school hasnt liked it since. She texts me everyday asking to go home.

Every child is different! My oldest loves school through fifth grade, and now he absolutely hates it. But there are friends of his, that are the same age and love it.

Some kids love/like school and some kids don’t. My son is one of the kids who HATES school. When I say hate I mean it too. I do know some of the reasons and we’ve been trying to resolve the issues accordingly within the school situation. I’ve been thinking about pulling him and letting him at age 16 get his ged instead because school just isn’t for him. I wish as a mother I could make him like school but I can’t. I’ve tried every way possible too but he’s almost 16 (will be in may). He goes to school but he definitely shows it in his schoolwork that he doesn’t enjoy it or care about it. He enjoyed it a lot when he was younger too but once he hit 4th grade he hated it altogether so it’s a constant struggle for him and it breaks my heart but I have to send him or I can go to jail.

You mean there are kids who enjoy school? Lol.
I always very much disliked school. Having unpleasant teachers didn’t help with that either.
My kids are in 10th, 9th and 7th. They’ve never really liked school either.

1 Like

I always enjoyed school. But I also didn’t have the best home life. So school was my safe place. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

That is awesome she likes it I would encourage her so many kids are so wrapped up in their tablets and phones so enjoy her loving school!!:hugs:

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and loves school a lot too. She’s so smart and enjoys learning and doing school work type activities at home. Loves to read! I also hope my daughter never stops loving school, but time will tell. I think as long as we keep praising, encouraging and making it fun they will enjoy it. :blush:

Some kids just love school. My daughter is a freshman in Highschool and has always loved and excelled in school. My boys loved school, but not the wprk…just the social aspect and the sports.

My daughter is 4, loves preschool always happy to go, same with speech therapy. I hated school, so I hope it never changes for her

My son liked school up until this year, 4th grade when the work got harder and he got more homework. Now he complains all the time about it

My 6 year old is the same. She had a school holiday on Friday and repeatedly asked me for math questions. We ended up stopping after 63… I hope she never loses her love of learning.