When do kids stop napping?

Not dailyā€¦
My 3 year old naps about 2 times a week. And has done that since she was 2

Depends on the child and how well they go to bed at night after having a nap during the day

Does he still fall asleep in the middle of the day? Then yes. Each kid is different at 3. My oldest still napped everyday at that age, my youngest is 3 now and he doesnā€™t need one.

Mine did and has only recently outgrown it. Whereas a friend of mine, her daughter stopped napping at 2. It really depends on the kid I think and their needs.

Ask his MOTHER!!!

2 Likes

Im 50 and still squeeze in a nap lol

2 Likes

Try and stop him and youā€™ll have a miserable child for the last few hours before bedtime.

Honey, Iā€™m 37 and I still take naps, lol. As long as it doesnā€™t interfere with him sleeping at night, naps are fine at any age.

3 Likes

Does it really matter ? Heā€™s 3 not 13 .

1 Like

Depends are you the one raising him ?

1 Like

My 3 year old doesnā€™t nap everyday but she usually needs to

Yes absolutely he should take a nap mine napped until they started school they still take naps from time to time and they are 30 24 and 22

Depends on the kid. Some do still until 4 or 5 sone quit as early as 2

My son stopped taking a nap at 2 (not by my choice). Now heā€™s almost 6 & tells me heā€™s going to take a nap lol

Canā€™t stop a child sleeping if there tired there tired šŸ¤· my son is 3 some days heā€™ll nap others he wonā€™t doesnā€™t bother me all kids are different I donā€™t see a problem with it tbh.

1 Like

No my sons stop napping at 2 in a halfā€¦

My kids napped all the way until they were in kindergarten :woman_shrugging:t3:

My daughter is 3 and she usually doesnā€™t take a nap

Some schools still do naps in kindergarten

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s any of grandmas business. Itā€™s up to the parents to make those decisions.

2 Likes

If thatā€™s what the parents want and he needs one yes. Mine stopped a little over a year on their own but each child is different

1 Like

If heā€™s tired why not? All kids are different.

At that age they still need about 12-14 hours of sleep a day. So it really depends on their bed time. If they go to bed at 9-10pm and wake up around 6-7am then yes give him a nap. If he goes to bed at 730pm then no nap. I run my own large daycare all my kids take naps until they go to school. 4-5yo. But each kid is different. My own kids go to bed at 730pm and wake up around 7am. This works better for them. They donā€™t take naps. It all depends on their bed time routine. As long as they are getting those vital sleep hours then you could eliminate naps. I guess also what ever works for your schedule.

Iā€™m 20 and still take a napā€¦

1 Like

My son is 3 and naps.
Iā€™m 35 and take naps.

2 Likes

Yes itā€™s always good to nap if their showing signs or nod off mine did till 1st grade full day school.

Iā€™m 33 and I still nap. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Iā€™m 27 and still nap.

3 Likes

Yep until theyā€™re 18ā€¦ for Mum & Dadā€™s sanity :joy::joy:

5 Likes

My kids stopped napping after they turned 1 but they slept 12 to 14hrs at night.

If he needs one. But if itā€™s a fight to get him to sleep and then another fight to get him to bed, probably not

1 Like

My son quit wanting to take naps around 3.

If heā€™s going to daycare heā€™ll be taking a nap until at least 5 or 6 . I think kindergarten still makes them take naps too

2 Likes

My 5 1/2 year old still naps in the afternoon if he is home!! He plays hard and basically just passes out!

2 Likes

Yes naps are very important at that age. My step daughter is 3 and still naps. It helps their growth and also gives them and you a break

1 Like

Each child is different

Most preschool and kindergarten kids nap

1 Like

Sure. Itā€™s good to unwind and rest. Just maybe not to close to bedtime.

1 Like

If he doesnā€™t he will regret it once he starts middle school :rofl::rofl:

Yes if he needs one and most of the time they will do it on their own

My 3 year old will take a nap if heā€™s had an eventful day but he wonā€™t if itā€™s been a relaxing day. I think it depends.

Yes they grow when they sleep. My 6 year old grand daughter still naps

When we were in kindergarten we took naps. Whatā€™s wrong with it? We are humans, no one is the same. Some need little to no sleep, some need lots, let them be the person they are.

Iā€™m 26 and sometimes do when my 1yr old does :joy:

Depends. My kids stopped napping around 3 because they refused to sleep at night. It was a nightmare :joy:

Yes, even adults need naps.

My daughter will be 3 in September and thereā€™s days that she doesnā€™t take naps

My son had quiet time , in bed when he was 3. He rarely napped at 3. Occasionally he fell asleep outta bordem but usually he talked to himself quietly.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When do kids stop napping? - Mamas Uncut

My kids stopped taking naps by 2 years old. If he slept for 12 hours I would see that as a huge win. Youā€™re doing just fine mama.

10 Likes

Well, Iā€™m 30 and havenā€™t stopped napping. :joy:
Some kids just arenā€™t nappers and one are.
All my kids stopped napping regularly at around 2/3

5 Likes

mine are 17 & 20 & still take naps

1 Like

Thatā€™s when my daughter stopped napping as well and Iā€™m grateful as she started sleeping longer at night giving me more time to myself where I wasnā€™t needed to do ā€œdaytimeā€ things. So from this moms perspective youā€™re right on track lol.

2 Likes

When my son was 2, I would let him read books but, not touch his toys. I always called it quiet time and said he can either have a nap or read a book. By 3 he stopped napping at home and now at 4 he wonā€™t nap at all apart from kindy or the surprise sleeps in the car/at the table avoiding dinner.

My daughter is 1 and still has 2-3 naps a day. She cat naps though so no more than 30 minute at a time.

My twins stopped napping at 2.5ā€¦:grimacing:

My daughter stopped around 2. I like to sleep in so I keep her up a little later. We start bath time around 8 and lay down no later then 9. I normally let her watch a cartoon and she will fall asleep on her own. We wake up around 9-930.

My youngest will be 3 in June and I try to generally take him up to his toddler bed the same time every day and let him be for about an hour and a half and whether he sleeps or not is on him some days he doesnā€™t other days he does and his napping has never fully affected him at night. Iā€™d say if his personality doesnā€™t seem to be too different then when heā€™s more rested or fed say to just not force him. Even my 5 year old with his pre k shut down right now he will sometimes take naps just because lol everytime heā€™s a little grouchy Iā€™ll be like do you need to eat or do you need to sleep and he will tell me which one or even both lol

Mine napped till she was 4. All kids are different.

2 Likes

Whoaā€¦ my kid napped until the day before he started kindergarten. And would sleep every night from 8pm till 7am. Guess it depends on kid

4 Likes

Thatā€™s wicked! No nap needed if heā€™s sleeping all night.

1 Like

I left it day by day at 2. I stopped allowing afternoon naps period but in the beginning on fussy unbearable days I would let them have an hour long mid morning nap.

Daycare, preschool, and even full day Kindergarten requires naps daily so Ive typically tried to match our schedule to their schedules. I think Kindergarten just made them be quiet for 30 minutes and if they werenā€™t tired they could do quiet play after 30 minutes until mid year they allowed those who were ready to have no nap/quiet time. My oldest 2 napped the whole time. Good luck!

2 Likes

Mines up at 7am and usually in bed by 8. He needs naps still or heā€™s crabby as heck then hard to get to sleep because heā€™s over tired. Heā€™s 2yrs n 3mo.

1 Like

My four year old and 6 year old donā€™t take naps during the week (in school) however on the weekends I do make them lay down for about an hour they can pick a book or quiet toy to lay in bed with just so they have some time to mentally check out and sometimes they fall asleep and sometimes they donā€™t

My almost 3 year old as not napped in about a year

My son stopped napping when he was about 1 1/2 years old lol.

Thereā€™s literally no right or wrong way to do it! I know some kids that still took naps when they were past 3, and some kids who stopped all together by the time they were 1. Every child is different.

You donā€™t have to try to force anything, youā€™re doing great. :heart:

2 Likes

Each kid is different. My youngest two are 20 months and 4 years old, and they both are absolute terrors by 4pm if they donā€™t take a nap after lunch. So they wake up around 8 AM, take a nap after lunch and their bedtime is 8:30pm.

Oh girl, take the break. Let the boy play quietly and pretend he is napping.

Mine took naps until school quit letting them. They werenā€™t happy about not getting naps anymore

1 Like

Kids that young need up to 13 hours of sleep for a fully functioning brain, including naps. I would just take it day by day. As long as they are getting enough sleep per 24 hours, do what works for you guys! Good luck momma!

I kind of let my kids tell me when they were done. If you still need ā€œmommy timeā€ where they are in their rooms quiet and safe, you can have a reading time or something like that so you can have a few minutes of peace.

Both my kids quit napping after like 18 months. They stop when theyā€™re ready.

My have a 6 year old, 3 year old,and 1 year old and the 1 year old takes about 1 nap a day and sometimes none. I donā€™t make the older two nap unless they are being crabby butts and clearly need it.

My daughter stopped napping as soon as she could crawl out of her own crib (10mo) and hasnā€™t napped a day since! Sheā€™s 5nowā€¦her and her big brother (7.5yrs old) go to bed around 7p.m. and wake up very well rested by 7a.m. for school. Nothing wrong with that at all, sometimes you just have to work with their body clock and yours and it works out eventually when everyone finds a balance

Every child is different but my kids stopped taking naps around age 4

1 Like

My 3 year old is day by day. If he has a busy morning (and doesnā€™t fall asleep on the car) he will fall asleep on the couch and nap. If not he will fall asleep in the car around 3-4 and get a cat nap. Then bedtime is between 8-9 depending on the day. No matter what he wakes up between 6-7.

1 Like

No nap needed. Mine stopped a bit before this age and was in bed by 730pm up at 7-8am and still till this day sleeps like this

1 Like

When we stopped nap time, we started quiet time . I still wanted that short little break in the day and thought it was important for independent play for the kids too. You donā€™t have to nap, but itā€™s quiet time so you can do any kind of play in your room but you must stay in there unless needing to pee etc. it was only about a half hour . But it was really nice for me to be able to catch my breath during the day

2 Likes

My sisters kids stop taking naps around 2. I wouldnā€™t force it if thatā€™s what works for your kid.

My child is turning 6 and he still naps. This few months itā€™s only been 1 nap a day because heā€™s now in kindergarten. He rests his eyes after school and weā€™re in bed by 8 or 9. School starts at 9. I wake him before 8. I donā€™t force him to take a nap, heā€™s just wired to take a nap. When he gets tired he gets fussy and all I say or ask him is if he needs to rest his eyes.

Some kids stop napping after age 1. Every kid is different.

1 Like

Mine is 17 years old and still naps. šŸ¤·

If the extra rest/ quiet works for you guys, then do it! Every little is different, every family is even more different. My daughter is about to turn 3 and she stopped regular naps at 1 and a half. Every once in a while she will fall asleep somewhere but she wonā€™t sleep through the night if we nap her.

I thought you said nagging at first. I was thinking never. Hahahaha. Anyway, each of my kids were different.

1 Like

My son goes to his room every day at 1pm for minimum of an hour so I can have time to relax for a few minutes or get caught up on house duties. Most days he naps during that time and sleeps up to 2 hrs sometimes. But if he decides not to nap he still spends that time playing in his room so I can do mommy stuff.

My oldest stopped napping during the day around 2.5-3 years. My youngest would still nap if she was allowed to at school lol. Maybe have him watch a movie to rest if he needs a little wind down time during the day. Doesnā€™t have to nap, but just rest.

My kids took naps through kindergarten

1 Like

My son was 3 when he stopped napping.

stop the naps. my oldest stopped at 1.5yr middle stopped at 2.5-3ish and my youngest
well sheā€™s slowly growing outta them and shes 18mā€¦sadly lol

They are all different. My 2.5 naps. Because mama needs time alone and to get stuff done. The bed was rough for about a day but thatā€™s it. She knew the routine and that I wasnā€™t breaking it. Closed the door behind me as normal, got the monitor on and she played a bit but then laid down.

Wake him up by 6.30 or 7am.work a program 4 him. Like getting up, wash n shower breakfast by 8.activity 4 about an hour or two. Snack at 10. Cooling down. By 11 a short nap. Lunch between 12 and 12.30. A bit of TV. Play tym, reading. Then some outdoor activities n a short nap. Snack, read or some thing that may like. By 5 try supper, bath, read, a bottle or a cup of warm milk, till around 7.get him ready 4bed. By 7 he should be tired n sleep. He needs a routine. Avoid sugary, junk food. Dat keep him awake

3 Likes

My kids never napped or they will not sleep at all at night. But now theyre on a schedule and sleep from 730pm till 630am. As long as they sleep 12 hours they should be fine. It depends on the kid too. Some kids need the nap time some kids are just fine without it.

Dinner at 9pm?
I think waking at 9am is good but Iā€™d get him in an earlier ruiteen so he is used to being up dressed and out the door before 9 so yous are already in a routine for him starting nursery/pre-school or kindergarten whichever itā€™s called were you life lol
I had my son on a 7.30pm -7am bedtime
And now he goes to bed at 7pm till 7am
Or if he has a nap after nursery 4-5pm
Then I will let him stay up till 8pm and give dinner around 6-6.30pm

1 Like

My oldest stopped napping at 2years unless we had an extra early morning or a particularly busy morning, which were not often at the time. My youngest didnā€™t stop taking afternoon naps until 5-6. Sometimes sheā€™d come home from kindergarten and have a short nap. Each kid is different.

Im going 49 and im still napping lol

1 Like

I donā€™t think they do
Often my 8 yr old will fall asleep on the lounge
Until we wake her up for dinner
IIā€™m 54 yrs young and i still have a nana nap in the afternoon

1 Like

Day by day. All kids are different. Let him go if he can. Donā€™t force it. Heā€™ll tell you if heā€™s tired and if he doesnā€™t ,keep in mind they get fussy when tired. But, at any age ,a growth spurt will always cause for a nap. I also noticed when my kids would come home from the first day at school,they would crash as soon as they walked in the door. :joy:. Just play it by ear. Youā€™ll know. Your doing great. Also not napping during transition will help him become accustomed to his new bed. Keep doing what your doing. Great Job ,Mom. :clap::clap::clap::v:

1 Like

My boys 2 and each day differs. He climbed out of his crib at 1 so we got him a toddler bed type that sits on the floor. It was a struggle at first but we got him a night light that spins allover walls and got him in the same night routine with books n cuddles and we put a gate up in the door way so he wouldnā€™t get up and do anything dangerous around the house.
Now he has days heā€™ll nap, but then he has some he skips them. I just sort of go buy how he seems about stuff.

All children are different. My first child gave up naps at 1 1/2, second took a nap until he started first grade.

1 Like

My daughter is 18 months she gets up at 5:30 am or 6am and gets her naps at 1pm and I put her to sleep at 7:30 or 8pm but sometimes she falls asleep early like at 6pm and wow thatā€™s late dinner maybe thatā€™s why heā€™s up late and late start in the morning also.

Day by day. My son was 4.5 and having 3 hour naps. My other 2 cut naps at 1. Think about yourself with sleep. Some days you are tired some days not