When do you take a sick kid into the doctor?

As soon as they are sick. Why wait til it gets worse and they are miserable? Home remedies don’t work for illnesses that need antibiotics.

5 Likes

My children always run a fever for the first time at night, I always have them at the doctor at 8a the following morning.

Constipation I have always been able to manage here at home but if I can’t get them to use the bathroom within afew days I would take them to the doctor.

Cough/Runny nose- if it’s just that we normally do Tylenol, warm baths and a humidifier. Of course if it ever lasted more than a few days I would seek medical advice.

I am a mother of 3 children, ages 6, 3 and 2. The way I do things is solely based on my experience with my children. Every child and parenting style is different.

The best advice I have ever received is to follow your gut. If you feel your baby needs a doctor, take them to the doctor! :heart:

1 Like

A lot of people get confused. If your child is running a fever their body is doing what it’s suppose to do in fighting off whatever is attacking their system. I personally do not give my children Tylenol until we are around the 102.3 mark and then start a lukewarm bath. If you take them to the Dr right away they are only going to pickup more germs and pass around what they have to others. I have 5 children ages range from 7 year old b/g twins, 11, 20, 23.

I allow symptoms 3-5 days depending on what’s going on. Sinus drainage causes a lot of sort throats leading parents to believe it’s strep when in fact it isn’t.

7 Likes

The rule in my house is if they are running 100° fever for two days and it’s immediately to the doctor if it’s cough or cold and there’s no fever I try to treat at home unless they are having trouble then I will take them to the pediatrician I’m all for home remedies but when things get worse the doctors it is

If high fever, sore throat or ear infection. But hospital and doctors office are hard for me since loss of my son in 2012. If it’s common cold or stomach bug there is really nothing doctor can do. My daughter pediatrician informed me they do need to build immunity up . I have 4 kids . From 17-7. My kids hardly ever go to doctor besides yearly exam. Look up research on kids that grow up on farms compared to rural areas. Kids on farms actually have better immune systems and normally don’t have asthma or allergies. To much antibiotics can be a bad thing.

1 Like

It depends. If it’s a cold then I treat at home. But if the cold turns worse then I take them.

a cough or runny nose, or even a little constipation isn’t bad, A high fever, runny stools, that is a problem & A Dr should be involved

Go with your gut.
Moms KNOW.

When I was about 5 years old or so, I had chicken pox. Obviously it comes with fever and it was expected.
Well, my mom knew something wasn’t right with me. My dad was like “it’s just fever. The doctor told you to expect that”
And my mom still insisted something was wrong. She said I started to look too sick. This couldn’t be normal. So she scooped up my little limp body and took me to the hospital. Sure enough, I had chicken pox INSIDE my body, and it was toxic. I think people thought there was a chance I could die because I’d never seen so many visitors in my life, or gifts and flowers, etc.
I was hospitalized for a good while. At least a week if not more.
The internal pox finally ruptured on their own which was a good thing. But then I guess they had to retrieve the fluid? (I was only 5 so I’m doing my best to remember details. Lol). I remember having a hole in my stomach that they would come and pack with some kind of skinny dressing. One of those long q-tips could go a long way in. I still have the scar today.

If it had been up to my dad, I might not have been alive.
But MOMS KNOW.

I’m a nurse, so we only go to the Dr if I know they need antibiotics. Other than that, we take care of it at home. Unless it’s an emergency of course, then I call my nurse friends to see who the Dr is… take them to the ER I like the best at that point! Lol

My children ALWAYS get sick on a Friday or over the weekend. If I think its strep or serious, Ill try to get them in on that Friday so they arent miserable all weekend. If it’s not serious, I wait until Monday to see how they feel.

Fever, diarrhea that doesn’t improve vomiting and Leng h of time. Give symptoms, Leng h of time and what you tried If you can’t get in. Walk in care or er

1 Like

Sister did you hat with measles

1 Like

I usually wait 5 days and don’t call the doc till they have 104 temp

6 Likes

Yes take her to doctors- better safe than sorry- as far as the grey hair - she has been blessed with a kiss from an Ancestor. :v:t4::heart:

4 Likes

Fever, take them in immediately. Could be RSV.

1 Like

Unless my children are vomiting for more than 48 hours without change or running a fever of 104 or higher for more than 13 hours. I don’t even bother.
Keeping your child hydrated is the most important thing you can do. Cold or even flu is a virus. It needs to run its course. Honestly if your going to use meds, skip the cold and cough and go straight to benadryl. If they have a fever alternate tylenol and motrin every 3-4 hours until it’s gone down. Seeing our babies sick is the worst, but I would rather my children catch a cold once In awhile to build up their immune system.

Sleep, hydrate and don’t push food unless they are hungry.

4 Likes

Let your Momma instinct tell you when to take her. I believe in natural remedies to a point, but if you think she should go to the hospital, GO, you might be sorry if you don’t…

Not until there are severe symptoms like a very high fever in a infant, or high with meds in older kids, most virus take like a week to completely run their course so unless there’s some reason it could be bacterial we just make ourselves comfortable at home. We don’t do prescription medications unless they are necessary. So ear infections we see the doctor but colds and quick little virus we stay home and treat. Everyone gets grey hairs. My ginger children have greys pop out occasionally, I’ve had them since at least 7th grade.

Evidence Based Research states to treat symptoms NOT their temperature. So I rarely treat just temperature. My boys have ran Temps of 103 and were running around laughing and playing so I didn’t treat it. If it’s something that is in their lungs I let it go 3-5 days depending on how they are acting.

My boys are 13yo (26wker) and 5.5yo and I’ve taken each to the ER once because it was middle of the night and they couldn’t breathe other than that they have been to Urgent Care oldest never and youngest cause he was snorting rocks while camping! 9/10 times when sick they never go in. But they are also rarely sick! But I never treat fevers no matter!

1 Like

depends on what the ailment is

I had my first gray hair at 2 I’m fine and still have my natural dark brown color when I’m not dying it.

I know what to watch out for with kids if they’re not showing those signs I won’t take them in especially knowing some viruses can last up to a wk or longer. High fever, or signs of ear infection such as tugging on ears, vomiting that won’t stop, weird/bad rashes, signs of respiratory distress I will take them to the dr or er. Most other things I will not.

THAT all being said if YOU feel like baby needs seen then that Is totally normal/fine it’s also better to be safe than sorry

1 Like

It depends. For my son with mild symptoms we wait about a week. Usually it clears up by then. But ear infections in my family advance very quickly. My daughters were so bad that the second she said her ear hurt we had to go. One time I waited three hours for my husband to get home, took her to the ER, and her eardrum ruptured before a doctor saw us. It depends on the health of the kid in question. There is no right answer here.

I wouldn’t take my kids to the Dr for any of the things you mentioned but I work in Healthcare so I handle things a little differently than some. And my sister developed her “birthmark” at 2 which was a blonde/grey/white stripe in her red/brown hair.

Once the fever goes up too high I go er or urgent care, dehydration scares me too if they been vomiting for too long. Home remedies are good, but to an extent

1st kid : immediately almost went to the ER 95% of the time :sweat_smile:
2nd kid : day 3 of symptoms made an appointment
3rd kid : I call and explain the symptoms after (depending on the sickness) about a week & explain what I think I should be doing/continue to do based off what I’ve learned from the other two kids & then set I preemptive appointment if they don’t start to get better after like a week

1 Like

if my kids are complaining of certain pains for 48 hours and not acting like themselves then we go to the dr . and it’s always something that requires a antibiotic

I only go to the Dr. Only if my baby isn’t eating. Taking a bottle. And throwing up. Other than that. I use home remedies. For example. For the runs. I do rice water. And Electrolytes.

Simple colds and flus I take care of at home unless I see that it’s something a little more serious like it’s affecting breathing, or heart rate, or a high fever that indicates a possible bacterial infection. I’ve had rheumatic fever, it’s not fun and carries risk of life long heart issues.

Some things do require doctors, but anything where you know they’re going to say “rest and give plenty of fluids”… yeah save the co-pay