When do you take a sick kid into the doctor?

I'm a mother of a two yr old. My husband believes in home remedies for treating health issues e.g constipation, cough, runny nose. I also do home remedies, but for a day or two, if symptoms are not reducing I would prefer to see a doctor. So my question is when do you mamas visit a doc? As early a possible or u wait?

Also I saw one Grey hair in her head. Should I be worried?

46 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When do you take a sick kid into the doctor? - Mamas Uncut

Gray hair isn’t an issue with young children / toddlers btw

5 Likes

I wouldn’t see a Dr. Unless a fever get s very high or the child acts funny or is unable to use the bathroom. These things pass.

14 Likes

With your first child you worry about every little thing. Unless the child is super sick or getting worse after 2 days of home remedies, it may just take a little longer. Try not to worry too much.

2 Likes

Gray hair is a non-issue.

I home remedy until it’s obvious that it’s not working. Fever won’t break, cough gets worse, trouble breathing. Vomiting and diarrhea won’t stop- pain is worse - I’m not one to run to a doctor at the first sign, but I’m not one to disregard the need to go in either

14 Likes

I used home remedies unless they continued to get worse after day three.

2 Likes

2 days isn’t really enough time for anything to run it’s course. It’s usually 5-7 days.
If a fever doesn’t go down with meds (Try to alternate but in only motrin bc tylenol never worked well), they can’t tolerate fluids like Pedialyte for 6 hrs, a painful cough longer than 3 days that Mucinex doesn’t help…
May Dr wasn’t big on giving antibiotics bc kids need their immune systems to work. My son made it 18yrs before he needed an antibiotic. My 11yr old has never needed one. Any illness was usually fine after 3-4 days.
Viruses can take 10 and antibiotics don’t work on viruses.

2 Likes

My son has a spot of white hair in his head. The doctor said it’s a birth mark of some sort. Also,trust your intuition. When you feel your child needs to be seen,then that’s when you make an appointment. You got this

2 Likes

Wtf does a grey hair have to do with anything

8 Likes

Your doctors office should have a nurses line you can call to chat about your kids health issues with a nurse who can advise you on home care or when to bring your kid into the office.

2 Likes

Should you be worried about a grey hair? No

Unless your child is super sick and isn’t getting any better by day 3 or 4 by means of home remedies or otc meds that’s when you take them to the doctor. Unless it’s a medical emergency like seizures, unconsciousness, lethargic, uncontrollable vomiting or diarrhea, etc).

I definitely home remedy unless symptoms persist or they get worse, have a fever I can’t control or have no wet nappies/minimal food and water intake. dehydration is a big concern too

Definitely take the child in for the grey hair. Thats an absolute emergency.

12 Likes

Your child your call. Better safe then dead

In my experience as a mom of 2 and step mom of 3. Home remedies are good.but,
If the cough turns into a bark … Dr.
Runny nose are allergies. They make an over the counter medicine that all natural. Several actually.
Constipation can be helpful by stopping anything dairy and eating more greens. Sometimes I would give my daughter cold coffee as it is a stimulant. Yes ,at 2. Only morning and no more than 4 oz . She always had a BM after. Use non dairy creamer. She may have an allergy to dairy. Sometimes it presents as constipation or tiny white acne bumps on her cheeks or arms.
You can also give her corn syrup in her juice.
I know that’s choosing btw caffeine and sugar but , it is what it is. You could also give her vitamin C or orange juice. A lot of orange juice. Like drink most of the day. Too much or over dosing vitamin C causes diarrhea. I myself use orange juice and magnesium. Talk to her Dr about a vitamin regimen as f your going to start a natural remedy regimen. Also there are Natural Homeopathic Drs.

It depends on what’s happening. Stomach virus I usually test at home unless a high fever. Stuffiness/runny nose and cough that last longer than a couple of days I usually get checked out.

Omg not a grey hair… Call the doctor immediately! You really can’t take NO chances with that grey strand…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

More than three days

Might be possessed :flushed:

The only time I take my kids in is if they have a dangerous fever or they have had a fever for several days. Aside from that I don’t ever take my kids to the Dr when they’re sick. Kids get sick. Don’t be that person clogging up the ER because your kid has had a stuffy nose for two days. It helps nobody.

14 Likes

I only take my kids if they have a fever we can’t brake, that’s a sign of infection. Otherwise I do my best to use home remedies. Especially with all this covid chaos. I’m sorry but the hospitals are actually not the best place to be unless absolutely necessary. Just my opinion don’t come at me… sorry to hear about the grey hair. Nothing a good stylist and wine can’t fix.

4 Likes

High fever (over 99.5 in infant, over 102 in a baby or toddler, over 104 in anyone else) Vomiting and diarrhea without ability to keep anything down, (after 2-4 hours, according to age) Extreme pain, Heavy bleeding, Trouble breathing, Chest pain, broken bone or major swelling after a fall, all go to ER. Minor symptoms I treat at home, moderate symptoms, I have otc meds, inhalers, nebulizers, and other things to try, but likely go to the Dr if the clinic is open.

Antibiotics for infections. Thats all i need the dr for. Other than that i use Nurofen or panadol for pain or fever.

2 Likes

If a child has a consistent fever of 101 for more then 2 days they should be seen, if there’s potential for dehydration, infection ect they should be seen. It’s all symptom base. You could always call the physicians office and see if they think the child should be seen or get medical advice to further assist you. If you feel they should be seen then have them seen.

3 Likes

My son was just sick with the typical cold symptoms. I always just do home remedies of vicks on the chest, steam in bathroom, pedialyte, lots of rest, and suck the snot out of his nose with my nose sucker.

I would only take him to the doctor if he had a severely high fever, trouble breathing, or wasn’t urinating (if your toddler isn’t having bowel movements when sick, that’s normal because they’re not moving or eating as much, but not urinating at all is a sign of dehydration).

If it’s only been a day or two, that’s barely even hitting the middle of a cold. Most of the time it’s just a virus, and there’s nothing they can really do.

The grey hair thing, I’m not going to lie made me laugh hahaha. A grey hair is fine. :sweat_smile:

Good luck, I hope your baby feels better soon!

3 days coming, 3 days staying, 3 days leaving. Give the body 3 days unless really high fever, or something else really bad . Then 3 days resting and fighting. Then 3 days rebuilding strength, should be all better. If not to doctor we go.

1 Like

I definitely need to see a Dr for my greys :weary:

5 Likes

A day or two… more like if we are not making progress in a week (and I am not referring to high temps or wheezing, etc) then we make an appt, but not on day 2 or 3

I’m the type of parent that will take my kiddos to quick care for a runny nose and cough. With my first I was told kids are tough let them ride it out. If I would have waited to take my oldest in when he was younger he may not be with us today. Better safe than sorry.

5 Likes

2-3 days if they have high fevers. It’s dependent on the symptoms though. Especially when it comes to ear infections bc my son gets them a lot.

My kids were hospitalized with RSV a few months ago, my oldest was in the ICU for a week. My mom instincts immediately kicked in & we went pretty early to the Dr with both.

General cough, runny nose etc I’m comfortable treating at home until there are more concerning symptoms, high fever, retracted breathing etc.

This is very vague post…it definitely depends on symptoms but most pediatricians should have a call line if u have questions.

2 Likes

For fevers over 101. They need to be seen if it doesn’t go down in about a day, if you are really worried about a cough.
If theres vomiting or rashes.
If you feel you would be worried then take your baby or child to the Dr or Er if it’s too late.
When you are that worried then theres probably a reason

I would recommend calling your insurance or clinic nurse hotline.

1 Like

I do everything in my.power to avoid the dr. :tipping_hand_woman:

5 Likes

I have 1 kid that if she has a cough for more than a day she sees the doctor.
The rest we wait a few days depending on symptoms and then decided to take in or not

The younger they are, the less likely I’m inclined to take a wait-and-see approach. Kids’ health can deteriorate very very quickly. At two, I’d try to handle things for a day or so before escalating.

11 Likes

Depends on the symptoms… runny nose and cough, let it run it’s course and use OTC medicine. If it’s ear pain, fever, consistent vommiting/diarrhoea, etc. I wait a day to see if the symptoms persist before going to the doctor.

So I’m the one in my house that doesn’t take a kid to the hospital unless absolutely necessary. Meaning, breathing problems, chest pains(daughter has heart problems), or dehydration or antibiotics. Cough, runny nose fever, no. Unless the fever won’t go away after a few days or really high obviously.

5 Likes

My youngest boy has low IGA so we’re at the doctor a lot. He’s never had a fever with any infection he’s ever had because his body doesn’t fight infection well at all! He’s had Covid twice, bad UTIs to where we didn’t know until he peed blood. And at least 40 ear infections since birth.

A fever over 101.4 that can not be reduced with Tylenol, breathing issues of any kind, any sore or infectious looking rash of any kind, 4 or more days of feeling bad or 3 days in a row with a fever, i also try to talk to any older women i know friends family or otherwise. They know ALOT of stuff 6ou can do qt home to help cool bath or rag for fever or pineapple juice for chest congestion or a cough 100% prune juice for constipation epsom salt for bug bites splitters skin infections theres qll kinds of stuff that can help at home but some stuff you just cant do! The more kids you have the easier it gets to tell what warrants a visit to the doc but i would say follow your gut if tou think theres something wrong go with your gut mommas always know!

4 Likes

When in doubt I called the advice line my kids doctor had.

1 Like

I thought my child had a 24hr bug turned out he was literally dieing in front of me from type 1 diabetes so don’t wait even if a running nose doctors al the way asap

8 Likes

I don’t play with my kid’s health. If its not something totally normal for them (runny nose/allergies during peak season, etc) I make them appointments or take them in. My 2 year old daughter was puking the other night and everyone told me to just wait it out but I refused. Her fever spiked from 100.4 to 103 in a matter of 20 minutes and had we not gotten her to the ER in time, it could have been a very scary night. I don’t mess around, and with all the scary shit going around right now I refuse to take a risk.

I don’t take my kids to the doctor unless their is something serious going on and I can’t see any results from home remedies within 5 days.

1 Like

If im giving my kids medicine and they are still crying and miserable 24 hours later,then i call and make an appt…

I’m paranoid so I will take my kids to the doctor. My daughter has kidney issues so any fever over 99 I take her to the doctor to check for UTI. Cold symptoms I typically don’t take them, but I also worry about ear infections so I tend to at least get them checked out just in case

I rarely take them. Fevers, solved at home. Colds, solved at home unless clearly there’s breathing problems. Rashes, at home unless they’re yeast rashes, which having 5 kids, I know what I’m looking at. They go for shots n usually that’s it

1 Like

My kiddos are all teens and older now, but when they were younger I would call the triage nurse at our clinic and work with them to decide if they needed to go in.

3 Likes

I take my daughter to the Doctor for every little thing. She once fell off my bed at 12 am and I rushed her to the emergency room :rofl: I would definitely take her if she isnt feeling good even if its just a runny nose I call her Dr. Or take her in. I will not let my baby suffer and I dont believe in any home remedies without consulting with a Dr. First because they can be especially dangerous for little ones

2 Likes

Depending on the symptoms I try to wait a day or two before taking my children into the doctor. Now if my mama instinct is telling me something’s not right I will take them in immediately! I would rather be safe when it comes to my children and the doctor say “it’s just viral” than not taking them in and it being something seriously wrong. As far as the grey hair goes in children it can be a sign of vitamin B-12 deficiency. However I really don’t think one strand would be anything you should worry about!

I’m ok with my pediatrician. She went to school for years…. Telemed is amazing. My doctors are amazing. If it’s anything under 101.4…. Treat with Tylenol. If it spikes and doesn’t break. Call the doctors. Call after hours. You can usually skip the er. I have 3 kids…. I’ve done it all. But, don’t fear the doctors. They are good.

2 Likes

I like calling the nurse advice line or their office bc there’s a lot of germs in there than my home. I especially avoid ER bc u never know what people are there for, so literally only for emergencies, like its intended to be used.

1 Like

I agree with you. My son gets aspiration pneumonia but at first I didn’t know. If I hadn’t just gone in the first time, he would’ve been admitted.

Unless there’s a fever 5 days my son has had a wet cough since Sunday , yesterday we took him to urgent care for slight wheezing just the beginning of a upper respiratory infection thankfully he getting better.

I’m a psycho I’m always there surprised they haven’t pulled me in about it :rofl::rofl:

Vicks bath put a humidifier in the bathroom with you steam it up and stuff a towel under the door keep on the fever ibuprofen and Tylenol both can be given at the same time if fever gets to high you can call the ER for dosages if you don’t know the amount or can’t find it this should do the trick I always set alarms on my phone 15 mins before meds wear off lots of water don’t force food if fever climbs pass 100 with max out ibuprofen and tylonel bring them in if child has signs of difficulty breathing bring them in if they have discolored lips finger nails or toes nail bring them in immediately Best money I ever spent was on a owlet monitor or something similar to sleep on nights like this when my babies are sick to track their oxygen and Blood pressure over all if he/ she is playing running ect they should be ok but it never hurts to get them checked my babies have had fluid in the lungs and looked fine so at the end of the day it’s your choice and you know them better then anyone else :pleading_face: praying your baby feels better soon

3days. If a fever starts, then doctor.

This comment section shows just how much damage our healthcare system has done to how we react to our kids being sick. It’s sad… if you can afford to go to the doctor and something is not working at home after a couple of days go in and get checked better safe than sorry, also if the doctor can recommend anything to speed up recovery that’s enough of a reason to go in. I’d rather do anything in my power to have my child suffer less

I think it depends on the child, if there’s any pre-existing conditions, health history, etc. I rarely bring my kids to the doctor, but they are healthy children.

I also try treating at home (if it seems like something I can treat at home like a cold) but if that doesn’t go well then I take her to the doctor immediately. I’d say there been a few times I’ve taken her just because I * think* she has something but I’d rather be safe then sorry.

I always call or write and ask if I have a question. Home remedies are good but I’d rather be safe than sorry🤷🏻‍♀️

You take them when you mother instinct kicks in and tells you they are more then just a little sick

My wife and I had this same issue except she’s a big home remedy fan and I’m the doctor person. We decided that as long as our child wasn’t in too much discomfort (subjective, I know) and as long as the symptoms made sense (stuffy nose+low grade fever = probably a cold) we would do home remedies. If either of those two started to change it would be doctor time.

1 Like

I usually try to ride it out, unless they start getting fevers that are too high, or any weird symptoms that bother me, and even then we usually go to the hospital. Although since my oldest daughter started school we’ve been going to the doctor anytime she’s sick cause she needs a doctors note… but otherwise, why spread it around for it to be a virus that’ll have to run its course…

1 Like

Grey hair in children is a sign of anxiety

2 Likes

It depends on the color of her hair. Lots of kids with really black hair will have a grey or two. It’s not anxiety in most of them, it’s just that the grey is so easy to see. I’ve taught elementary school for 26 years - LOTS of kids have a grey hair or two.

3 days was my rule, then take them in. Listen to you inner mom voice

2 Likes

I’ve had a few grey hairs all my life. Nothing to worry about
I rarely took my kids to the Dr. Its normally a virus and just runs its course.
Listen to your gut …

If your asking this question now. I would say they need to see a doctor

1 Like

I work in healthcare and Dr was only for serious illness or injury. Both lived lol 27 and almost 29 so all’s good

2 Likes

I have a 4 year old and shes my only child. This was year I took her in for almost everything lol but now I’ve gotten familiar with symptoms so just use your best judgment. If you’re worried you could always call and talk to the drs nurse

If they have a temp
If they’re having a problem with breathing
If they’re acting lethargic

We try to avoid the doctors as much as we can

5 Likes

Seek a doctor , geez home remedies don’t work on every human , we’re all different :+1:

1 Like

There’s not much a doctor can do for a general cold unless ur child has high temp or not eating and drinking over a few days then yes defo doctors but for runny nose ext you would be wasting ur time and theirs and for the grey hair I wouldn’t worry it could just be her hair colour

Only times was when the fever stayed the same or gotten worse while taking Tylenol. And then when he had cold symptoms, I didn’t take him to the doctor until he started throwing up.

If it’s a fever that wont break with Tylenol or Motrin or trouble breathing. Take them in. Other than that… usually let it ride for about 2-3 days. Then will take them in if it persists. Ear aches are tough most heal in their own but some just get worse and worse. And Swimmers ear wont heal on its own. So if they have been swimming and get an ear ache I always take in right away. But swimmers ear is sensitive and tender to the touch so I generally know if it’s that right away. So I take in for that right away.

id say after 2 days and symptoms aren’t improving or getting worse go to the dr.

Home remedies in addition to going to the doctor are your safest route.

I wouldn’t be worried about Grey hair . One of my exes had a head full head of Grey hair by 16

I don’t take to a doctor unless it’s something I don’t feel capable of dealing with. So I’ll go literally weeks before a doc visit if the symptoms are not extreme. If it’s a lil cough and cold, then no we won’t go. If they’re puking for more than a couple days then yes because I worry about dehydration and want them looked at. If a cough doesn’t improve after a week they go to be checked for bronchitis. But if they’re acting okay with just mild symptoms we stay home.

I usually wait 2-3 days if I cant resolve the illness on my own or if they have a fever is would take them in right away. You dont know if it is an infection and they may need antibiotics.

If symptoms are persistent for a few days always take them in. You can also usually call your child’s pediatrician and ask to speak with a nurse (usually they have one to help over the phone) and they can also help advise. Right now especially a lot of places will also do telehealth visits if you’re uncomfortable going out :slightly_smiling_face:

I give it like a week or so when it’s minor stuff like that and it just hasn’t budged. Rashes, lethargic or like a fever, few days. I’m not one to go right away, children also need to try and build their immunity, it’s good for them to get the chance to fight off sickness in my opinion.

2 Likes

I take mines to the doctor when they bleeding to death! I used herbal remedies for almost everything BUT if they need stitches or major surgery, I go to the doctor.
Herbal works better than toxic medications.

2 Likes

Call Your pediatrician and ask what they suggest.

1 Like

Depends on what the symptoms are, if it’s a cough, nasal congestion type symptoms wait 7-10 days if they are not over it by then or pretty much over it by then, then take them to the doctors for an antibiotic, you don’t wanna run to the doctor every time they sneeze or cough because they will never be able to build their immune system. Constipation type issues if you’ve tried OTC meds for a day and still nothing then I would call the pediatrician and get more recommendations on meds or what to do next

6 Likes

Wait a few days. After 3 to 4 days of being sick

Depends on what it is. Sore throat, cough, cold symptoms- I wait a day and pump her full of fluids, and add an extra vitamin to her daily gummies. Tylenol for pain. If it persists, or she complains it’s unbearable- we head into doctor.

Anything I don’t know about- skin changes, rashes, bites, etc… I call my doctor’s NP and she evaluates my description and decides when I should take kiddo in.

Better safe than sorry- but with Covid, I try to stay away from the hospital or doctor’s offices as much as possible.

1 Like

Take him … it’s winter ,kids are coming down with everything. It’s the season

It depends on severity of symptoms, & how long they have been going on.
If it is just a virus there isn’t anything they can really do. They mostly are there to treat the secondary infections/complications that may rise. It’s always best to try to ride it out at home and treat the symptoms at home. BUT if you need peace of mind, just take them. They are there for you to do that. Get them checked out and listened to and reassured :purple_heart:

My son’s pediatrician wants to see kids if they are coughing for over 2 weeks.
If syptoms get better then worsen. If symptoms do not improve at all after 2 weeks. Cough that changes from dry to wet.
If high fevers won’t go away after a few days. Or a fever that stops for a few days and comes back. A fever that starts at the middle, or end of the illness instead of the start of symptoms.
Any shortness of breath, wheezing, etc. Any lethargicness. Ear pain. I’m sure there is a few others but I can’t think right now lol.

You can always call your pediatricians office and ask to speak to the nurse- tell her what’s going on, and she can give your her opinion on if your little one needs seen. I do this all the time instead of instantly making appointments. Sometimes it keeps us out of the drs office other times we end up going anyways. Hope your little one feels better soon!!

2 Likes

If your insurance has a nurse call line use that! They are very helpful helping you decide if you need to head to the doctor!

I only go to the doctor for emergencies

2 Likes

If there’s a fever that’s not going down or a cough that won’t go away after a week or not improving.

Go have your child see a doctor now. Don’t wait.

Will my kids were little the doctor said it was best for them to run a fever of 101 for 3 days before you ever take them into the doctor. Fevers is natural way to beat any infection. Fever is infection symptoms without a fever is usually just a virus. And a virus just needs to run its course that’s what a doctor would tell you

3 Likes

Trust your gut it will never steer you wrong. You have mother instincts so listen! If you feelgood child needs to see a Dr then take them to the dr. Trust yourself.

Go with ur gut. Mothers intuition.

Viruses is after 10 days. Unless the cold turned into a sinus infection. Flu i would call in and ask for Zofran if the child can’t keep any liquid down.

Pooping if nothing at home works. 2 days max.

If any home remedies isn’t working. You don’t wait to see a doctor if you think your child needs a doctor.

1 Like