When does labor normally start?

Mama’s, at what point in your pregnancy did you go into labor (on your own, not induction)? I am 38 weeks pregnant and have a new ob/gyn for this pregnancy. He told me yesterday he will not induce labor until I’m 41 weeks. My last pregnancy I was induced and had an unexpectedly large baby that resulted in a birth injury. So far this baby is measuring 6 1/2 lbs (give or take a pound). I’ve had all vaginal deliveries so I’m slightly irritated that he wants to wait that long to induce me, risking baby getting too large for me to birth vaginally. I am hopeful I go into labor on my own before that happens but I seem to be stuck at 2 cm.

1st pregnancy I was induced at 39 weeks 2 days (29 hr+)
2nd pregnancy I went into labor at 37 & 6 days (5 1/2 hrs)
3rd pregnancy I went into labor at 36 & 6 days (9 hours)
4th pregnancy I was induced at 39 weeks (4 1/2 hrs)

13 Likes

With my first i went into labor(water broke) at 40 weeks 1 day

38 weeks and 3/4 days…with both pregnancies. Weight can be off by up to a couple of pounds. My daughter was supposed to weigh over 7 at birth according to the doc and only weighed 5. You can always try natural induction techniques but keep in mind NOTHING will work unless baby is actually ready to come.

1 Like

41 weeks exactly with my 1st.

Wth ask for a different doctor that’s crazy

2 Likes

How big was ur last baby

I was 1 cm with my second youngest for 8 days till I went on my girls field trip walked for 4 hours nd when I got back I got checked nd was 4 cm. And I was scheduled to be induced 7 days after that day for my kids field trip. Instead I had her that very next day after the field trip. Ur dr might b giving u the chance to go into labor urself.

1st and 2nd both came on their due dates, no inductions.
3rd was born at 40 weeks 2 days, no induction.
4th was born at 38+3 weeks, no induction.
And 5th was 39+4 days, also no induction.

I didn’t with the first
Induced 3 hours
39/5

2nd
Induced 2 hours
39/5

3rd
On my own
39/5

Son was
Induced
39 weeks

My dr said she couldn’t induce until 39 weeks…I wonder if it’s just your dr

1 Like

Its dangerous to go past due just like too early. Id talk to then again or ask other options.

1 Like

40w6d
My midwife doesn’t induce until 41 and a half weeks so that seems normal to me

39 weeks and a few days with both pregnancies

With my twins I was 37 weeks and 1 day. With my single birth I was a scheduled csection

With my first i was 41 weeks and 6 days .my ob wouldn’t induce until 42 weeks.

40 weeks 3 days I went I to labor naturally was going to be induced at 41 weeks, had it scheduled then went into labor on my own lol

You will go into labor when the baby says you will go into labor.

3 Likes

I went into labor at 38 weeks &2 days. I went to a UT game the day before so I walked a ton. In the heat.

I was induced at 41 weeks. My son was estimated at 9lbs, but came out almost 8 (7 lbs 14oz)
I had him vaginally with the help of a vacuum extractor

40 exactly. 9lb 4oz baby boy with a 13" head. I’m a little 5’4" girl too.

33 weeks and 38 weeks my other 2 were inductions at 39 weeks and 37 weeks

I went to the hospital to be induced woth both mine.
1st @ 40 weeks-27 hours labor
2nd @ 40 weeks (same dr) amd only 2 hours of labor because my water broke at the hospital before they started induction.

I went in to be induced at 39 weeks and they told me my contractions were already 3-4 minutes apart. I was measuring ahead and she was 8 pounds 13 ounces when born.

39 weeks 4 days. I was doing squats and stretching all day and went into labor that night. idk if it had anything to do with it tho.

1st induced at 38.6 but was starting to go into labor on my own baby was 7 lb 11oz, same with 2nd, baby was 8 lbs 5 oz. 3rd my water broke and I went into labor at 38, baby was 9 lbs 4 oz. 4th water broke and I went into labor at 37.4, that one ended up in a csection due to a placental abruption, baby was 7 lbs 14 oz.

I was induced at 41 weeks 6 punds 11 oucnes.
Personally natural even with bigger babies is easier than beong induced.

1 Like

I was induced with my first.
Went into labor at 40 weeks, 2 days with my second on my own.

38 weeks exactly and had my membranes swept cause my son’s head covered my cervix.

Go for walks, do the curb gallop, also lunges can help induce

I went into labor at 40 weeks and 2 days. I danced for like 8 hours straight and ended up going into labor that night. 18 hours and an hour and a half of pushing. He was born at 8lbs 5.7 oz.

I went into labor on my own at 40 weeks and 3 days… but I was already scheduled for an induction at 41 weeks, if I didn’t go into labor on my own before then. she was also around the 6 lb mark at 38 weeks and only 2 1/2 weeks later… she went up to almost 8 1/2 lbs :expressionless: had a vaginal birth. in labor for 22 hours.

I was scheduled to be induced on May 28- 41 weeks. I was stuck at 1cm for weeks. My son was born on May 27th after going into labor on my own which only lasted 10.5 hours

Never :confused: got induced with both

Went into labour at 41 weeks the day I was suppose to be induced. She came out 10lbs 15.6oz took two pushes you’ll be ok don’t stress

I went into labour with my first at 41+1 and with my fourth I was 39+6. I was induced with my twins, I’d never go for that again!

Most doctors now make you wait until 41 weeks to induce as long as amniotic fluid is still ok. My son was measured at 6 1/2 lbs at 36 weeks and i was very hesitant. I was scheduled to be induced at 40 weeks & 4 days. My last appt before induction i was 40 weeks not dilated and not effaced. 2 days later i went into labor on my own (2 days before my induction.) He was born weighing 8.5 lbs. I know being at this point you’re so over it lol but You still have easily 2 weeks until full term. I’d do everything possible to go into labor on you’re own.

1 Like

I went into labor 5 days before being 40 weeks on my own. Had my daughter the next morning

With my first 38 weeks 4 days
With my second 38 weeks
With my 3rd I was 40 weeks 5 days went in that morning for induction but had been having contractions since before I went to bed and my contractions were 6 minutes apart when I got there that morning

Daughter=41weeks+3days 6lbs 10.4oz(9hours)
Son=35weeks+4days
4lbs 10.4oz(5hours)
I have little babies!

I went into labor at 38 weeks 6 days. 5lbs 15oz but she was growth restricted and I was actually scheduled to be induced at 39 weeks 1 day.

So far I’m 33 weeks pregnant and baby is 4lbs roughly. Nervous about how large she will be. Even an average size baby is a big difference than my first lol

First pregnancy my water broke at 38 weeks. My second, I had the stomach bug which made me go into labor at 37 weeks

First child and I was initially induced but didn’t work. Went into labour naturally the following day at 40 weeks + 12 additional days baby girl 8pd 9oz. Second child (no induction) I was 40 weeks + 10 days over, baby girl 8pd 11oz. Both natural, pretty long labours and both healthy although I did tear a lot with both :smirk:

I went into labor on my own at 31 weeks. And was in active labor for 7 days. They come when they want​:person_shrugging::joy:

My water broke at 38+1 with my first

Is 6.5 lb estimated large for 38 weeks? I’d guess no?

1 Like

I just recently got induced with my first baby I will never do that again if I have another baby.

2 Likes

At 39 weeks I was over it. Went on a 4 mile walk and walked until I couldn’t go any more…my water broke at 3 in the morning. :smiley::smiley:

I went 40+4, 40+5 and 40+6 with my 3 boys. Went into labor on my own with all 3.

It’s normal for doctors to wait until 41 weeks if baby is healthy.

First, my water broke at 40 weeks. My second and third, my water broke at 38 weeks.

If you wanna try to induce yourself, get a pedicure. Apparently there are pressure points in your feet that can push you into labor lol

1 Like

1st- 41.3 weeks
2nd- 41.3 weeks
3rd- 41.4 weeks
4th-??? TBA lol

6lbs isn’t big. All of mine were 8.8 to 9.11 lbs lolc

2 Likes

You can elect to be induced at 39 weeks

Mine wouldn’t induce either until 41 wks, my child was 9#5oz… I also had gestational diabetes

Because of the previous history it is unwise to wait for 41 weeks

2 Likes

With my first pregancy I went into labor at 39 weeks and my second preagncy I went into labor at 38 weeks . Both kids were 7lbs 7oz . I’m currently 20 weeks pregnant so I hope I go early or on my due date like I did with son and daughter but Every pregancy is different and babies come when they are ready for the most part .

39 weeks
40+6
40+6
40+6

Thankfully I’ve never been induced.
1st 5 days early
2nd 10 days early
3rd 11 days early.
4th TBD
I don’t know if this actually helps me or (if it’s just in my head) but climb my stairs up and down picking my knees up really high for at least 30 minutes but as long as I can and i usually have the baby with 24 hours.

Given your history, I would definitely be getting a new dr…

1 Like

Please read up on birth.

3 Likes

Labor started at 40+3. Had her at 40+5. I was worried about her being too big for vaginal delivery because they said she measured 6.5 at 36 weeks. She ended up being 8 lbs 5 oz. I was in labor for about 40 hours.

All mine were around 40 to 41 weeks. My OB offered it around 39 to 40 weeks my last pregnancy, I declined. I’m more of a let be and it’ll pan out type while pregnant.

I was 35 weeks 6 days, had my son at exactly 36 weeks

I went into labor (steady contractions )naturally at 4 am on my due date my first I was induced and if I ever had to do it again I would choose to wait

First 39 weeks second 38 weeks third 38&6 weeks

38 1/2 weeks w 1st
40 weeks 1 day w my 2nd n prob last
No inducing needed but if it took another 4 days w my last one, I was set up for inducing…thankfully…wasn’t needed. Best of luck to u mama!!!

1 Like

I mean…my first didn’t come naturally at all, 42 weeks and even with induction…sucker wouldn’t come out. C-section.

Second they told me he’s not larger than my first… lol
He was two pounds larger, over 9 lbs. He also didn’t come out but doctors didn’t give me a choice anyway, 41+ and C-section.

You gotta be your own advocate and insist or change the doctor

39 weeks and 3 days. My water broke like a waterfall lol…walking everyday from 36 weeks til rhen helped i swear. It also turned him down from transverse

First baby I went at 40 weeks and 3 days had him after 23 hr and 50min labor doc said she wouldn’t induce until 41 weeks
Second baby was 38 weeks and 2 days had him after a 4 hour 45 minute labor. Different doc but she wouldn’t induce until 40 weeks

39+4 followed by a 38 & half hour labour resulting in a 7lb 7oz baby.

Mine were all born between 40 and 42 weeks, no induction. Your body can do amazing things, I would not worry about Size if you are measuring on target now. Trust your body.

1 Like

If you can go natural then do it. The baby will come when ready and being induced makes it harder on you and baby. Out of 5 babies only had to be induced with pitocin in the last one and it was the worst of all and he was my smallest baby

my first i was natural at 39- 40 weeks and labor was 4hrs 50 min. my 2nd was due april 1st got induced at 42 weeks and 4 hrs and 55min. and my 3rd stubborn induced in afternoon and didnt come in at 1:05 am my longest labor at 41 weeks.

I would ask for a new doctor

1 Like

Labor started 41+2 had her 41+4

21+5 with my twins and 28+1 with my son

1st: Induced @ 38+5; 17 1/2 hrs
2nd: Induced @ 39+1; 12 hrs
3rd: measuring big not sure how the new ob feels about induction

I was 42 weeks when I had my daughter…& She wight 6lbs 2oz

I’ve been induced for all but one pregnancy. From high blood pressure, low amniotic fluid, and IUGR. Maybe you’ll be induced anyway. I didn’t notice a reason why you were induced those other times as my doctor says he will let a pregnant woman go to 42w unless there are health issues. Now I’ve been told I will probably always be induced at 39w for any future children. I’ve had 6, but my 6th was a stillborn at 35w6d.

1 Like

If the birth injury was severe enough or even if it wasn’t your current OBGYN should be made aware of that because it doesn’t sound like your new OB-GYN is aware of the complication of your previous birth maybe you should make the OBGYN you know where so that they can reconsider or give you the option of a C-section. Most doctors will not induce nowadays because now in some states you’re not considered full-term until 39 weeks( it used to be 37) as long as the baby and you are healthy and tolerating the pregnancy well they will not induce if there is not a risk or medical problem with you or baby. If you have a large babies I’m surprised they let you deliver vaginally honestly. With my first pregnancy I had a planned C-section at 38 weeks and 6 days which was a good thing because I was already going into labor that day, I have cerebral palsy, I am only 5 1 and my baby weighed eight pounds 10 ounces and 20 in long with my second I had a planned C-section as well and I went into labor on my own 3 days before my scheduled C-section at exactly 38 weeks my second baby weighed 9 lb 4 oz 20 inches long

1 Like

39+4 with my first, 37+3 with my second, 38+4 with my third and 17+4 with my fourth

My water finally broke when I was almost 42 weeks… had to get an emergency c section because of meconium tho

My daughter I was 40+4 my son was the same but I was induced with him and ended in an emergency c section

I had a house nurse suggest I drink a box of this and it help me go into labor …I drank whole box in one day and few days later went into labor had a healthy baby (11years ago)

1 Like

Have sex.thatll bring on labor

1 Like

I was induced post dates with first two, 3rd went into labour at 41 3

Ask for a new doctor for sure I got induced on my due date because she was worried about him being to small he was born at 6 12 and she wanted to get him out so I could start feeding him and help him gain weight

I was induced 15 days past my due date with my first, went into labour with my second at 40+3. My first was 7lbs 3oz, and my second was 9lbs exactly