When should I wean my child from their bottle?

I’m having another baby in 3 weeks and I have a 16 month old (freaking out already, I’m very scared!) that uses a paci and on bottle still…… should I try to stop both now and hope for the best? She lovesssss her paci!! Also tried milk in sippy cup (Hates it) i took bottles away cold Turkey with my oldest- 4Y/0) so idk what to do!

11 Likes

My girl is 14mo and still uses them and I’m due next month. Not worried about it honestly we will try after baby is born.

I would deffinitly transition from bottle to a sippy cup. Just keep offering sippy before giving in to a bottle. Thats how we went from bottle to breast, always offer and give your best effort to offer the one u want to switch to first. Soother can wait

Make a big thing of choosing a sippy cup that she would like, but keep the paci for now - a new baby is a big adventure to adapt too. Good luck mom - you’ve got this🌼

4 Likes

My middle daughter was 2 when we had our youngest and she was also a paci freak lol my pediatrician told me to let her keep the paci for now since I had a new baby coming but to just try and ween her from it before she turned 3 and it worked great for us. For the sippy, I would just slowly transition her - maybe give a sippy with a rubber nipple during the day and do the bottle at night until she is comfortable with the sippy then transition to it full time

1 Like

I quit with the bottle with my first at 1 and the second was at 11 months. My oldest kept her paci until she was 3. My second is 18 months old and I will continue to let her have it until she is 2. I did start only letting her have it at nap time and at bed time when she was 15 months old.

Usually that happens at one year

1 Like

I have two under two,17months apart. Was giving a bottle at night only to the oldest and then after a month of baby #2 gave water only in a bottle to oldest. Now she’s fine with nothing. Pacifiers I let her have them at nap time and night( unless she finds them around the house LOL) . What ever works for you mama and keeps your sanity.

1 Like

My girls are 18 months apart and I didn’t take my oldest away until I took it from my youngest. So when my youngest was about 1 I took it away from both of them

1 Like

Have her pick a couple big girl cups. If she gets to be a part of it she might be more excited.

I cut my daughter off the bottle before she turned one get a straw sippy cup

My daughter was off the paci by 2, we did it cold turkey. As for the bottle, maybe around 18 months, we got her the 360 cup

I took my daughter’s paci and bottle away when she turned 1. Cold turkey. Switched her to sippy cups and no paci

3 Likes

My kids never had the pacifier at 12 months I gave them one of those litter less juice box things for bed time put it bedside the bed fill it what ever you give at bed time they will drink it if they need it

Okay for everyone saying they took the bottle as soon as the baby turned 12 months… you do not need to rush it like that. They are going thru so many changes so yes you introduce other cups if you for whatever reason haven’t already. Bottles for nap/bed if they do that and cup/straw cup for meals n in between. 16 months may be a little longer then we’d all prefer but I’m living first hand how the time goes and they still have the binky or bottle. I say just take it or start to limit to before bed and teeth brushing for now and in a week throw it out. Out of sight out of mind. Binky can come after that as she’ll use that for comfort when new baby is here. Then find an object that works for her in place as such as a stuffy or blanket etc. you know what is best you’re their mommy.

1 Like

Should be off bottle already

1 Like

I took the bottle at 6 months and put his formula in a 360 cup. By 1 year he was drinking out of normal cups.

My second kid was still using bottles after he turned one. He refused any sippy cups and then one day I bought yet another type of sippy cup we hadn’t tried yet and he took it and never looked back. he’s two now and that’s still the only kind of cup he will use. Sometimes it’s just finding the right fit for them. He also refuses to drink milk

Let them have their bottle as long as they need it. It’s unfair to take it away because you are having another baby.

3 Likes

Keep paci. Ditch the bottle

2 Likes

Just get rid of them altogether they’ll be mad a few days and then get over it.

1 Like

And at 12 months they should start learning with cups. Maybe a cup with a straw? I got the cops that have the rubber mouth piece not the hard plastic. My 4 loved them

4 months ago… No but seriously on a serious note. I weaned both of mine when they turned 12 months. From both. Just took them. And made sure they were out of sight. So they couldn’t see them. My youngest was easier. Cause he never took to having a paci he just didn’t like them🤷. My oldest a little harder. He had one style paci he loved. He lost it one day I think he was 11 months. I just never found out again. His bottle, if he saw it… He would cry and reach for it, not wanting his sippy cup. But, if I kept it out of sight. He’d take his cup. At first he’d keep throwing it after trying, and I’d have to keep giving it back. Then eventually he’d keep it.

My first was a year and half and it messed her teeth up. My twins and my son I took theirs around 9 months and they did great the longer a baby has the bottle the longer they will want to keep it.

I’d nip the bottle but keep the paci for now

8 Likes

My son used a bottle until about 19 months and never used a paci. Your baby is still fine

you guys are going crazy on the 16 month part. only 4 months ago did the baby turn one and mama is pregnant… just start transitioning or go cold turkey to a different cup now, don’t let these comments get to you. :heart:

3 Likes

this wont be popular but DO NOT take away the bottle or paci right when a new baby is coming into the house. Both of you have enough to deal with with the new arrival. In a few weeks/months you can decide when you want to make the transition but you will have enough to deal with in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

I would wean the bottle then work on the binky later.

5 Likes

I took my son bottle the day he turned 12 months…she should have technically been cut off the bottle @ 1. Could try cups with straws… maybe keep the pacifier for just a tad longer with the changes if new sibling arriving soon and the change of tossing the bottle?

3 Likes

I took my daughter off bottle the day she turned one years old she used a sippy cup for bed time. I took her binky away totally at two she only had it at nap and bed time for the last year she used her binky

1 Like

Stop giving her a bottle. She is too old for it. Try giving her a big girl cup with a small amount in it. Maybe strawberry flavor or chocolate. Take the paci too and do not give your new baby one.

1 Like

This is huge life changes happening, I would not take things away until things settle with the new baby !

3 Likes

I bribed my son if he threw his paci away i would buy him a toy. It seemed to work. My younger 3 never liked them, so my only option lol

1 Like

4 years old??!!
Weaned mine from the bottle at 11-12 months. They don’t need it when they are old enough to drink from a sippy cup.

Uhm yes. 4 months ago lol. I’d work on only bottle right now and do pacifier only at night or car. Or teething. That’s what we did once she hit a year

2 Likes

Mine off bottle at 10 months. No binky. You need to stop both ASAP.

2 Likes

For me it was 12 months for the bottles and 18 months with the pacifiers. And pacifier was only used for naps and bed time. That’s it.

should have been done that first birthday along with the pacifier.

1 Like

Take both away. Give finger food.

Change to a sippy cup that has a silicone top for drinks.

I used the nuk I think it is with my two youngest it’s the one with the nipple type top but is a sippy cup to transition then from bottle to sippy.

If she’s thirsty she’ll drink from a sippy she’s just used to having a bottle transition to only nap time and bedtime and in a couple days take them away completely and yes there will be crying for probably a week but it won’t last forever.

My girl is 3 and still on bottles. Refuses sippy cups and won’t sleep without a bottle. I feel like they will wean in there own time! Less stressful on both of you.
Maybe if your really wanting them off bottles try a rewards chart (if you can do 1 week off bottles then you can do something if your choice) and make a big deal over using sippy cups.
I’ve heard (don’t quote me on this) if you dip the end of the paci in something unpleasant tasting (pickle juice or something sour) they eventually will give up on the paci.

Id stop the bottle but dont remove the dummy. I have a 3yo (just turned 3) & a nearly 9mo and I tried removing her dummy’s when he was born, she took the babies off him all the time. She only has it for bed now. We will be removing it at Easter for an extra special present. Good luck :white_heart:

My kids were off the paci by one month. Once they started refusing it for a few days I just threw them away and never looked back. Unpopular opinion: I think a lot of parents use them as a crutch. Babies don’t NEED them (with the exception of babies born early who need to work on sucking)

Bottles went bye bye when they turned 1. I threw them away the day they turned one, and they watched me do it. My last two were breastfed, but took plenty of bottles as I was the main provider for our family working full time. I didn’t kick them off the breast until they turned 2. My daughter actually weaned herself at 20 months.

My older 2 we took the bottle and paci away at 12 months…my daughter didn’t use a paci, but my son only had it at naps and bedtime anyway.

We did straw cups to replace as they still suck like they would a bottle and I felt that helped some with the switch.

((Hugs)) it’s gonna be tough now, cuz when the baby gets here in 3 weeks. The tot could possibly just steal their paci and bottles. :confused:

Definitely cut the bottle cold turkey, nuk is fine til closer to two.

Do NOT take these comfort things away from her right around the birth of her new sibling. She might make a negative mental connection between the two. My girls had their pacis until they were 3. On the day after their 3rd bday (I prepared them) the “paci fairy” took their pacis and left them some candy in exchange. They were thrilled!!

I stopped bottles at 1 and paci at 2

Now is not the time to do it. To much change is coming on for your toddler to put losing her bottle and binky on the list.

Have you tried the nuk transition bottle?

I know someone who got child abuse charges for not weaning at the proper time. The doctor reported her to cps. Please do so, quickly, for everyone sake in your household. They absolutely will.

2 Likes

No matter what, your 16 month old is going to want a bottle or pacifier when it sees the new baby with one. 16 months is still quite young. 

6 Likes

Your 16 month old should not still be on the bottle! Just no. Best break that habit now.

18 Likes

The bottle should go bye bye at no later than 13 months.

2 Likes

It’s not that big of a deal. Just work on only water in bottles and don’t stress the binky.

Both should’ve been tossed 6 months ago…

Too old for both. She should be on a cup now and the pacifier… Just no. Way too old. Toss it. Terrible for their teeth. Have you tried dipping the pacifier in lemon juice or vinegar when they ask for it. They learn to dislike it quick.

Have you tried these sippys? They are kinda bottle like

Switch off the bottle. I Found with my middle child (he hated the sippy cup too) I couldn’t do just cold turkey. I ended up switching one bottle every few days to a sippy cup starting with the morning bottle and leaving the bedtime bottle untill last. He would fuss the first day of each switch but by the second or third day be ok.

Why does the bottle have to go because you are having another baby?

Don’t do it till she adapts to the baby. She will regress.

Trash them all months ago.

I had the same issue with my daughter who is almost three (for her it was the sippy and paci.) This was our transition sippy that worked for my daughter when transitioning from the bottle. I also bought the book called bye bye bottle about a zebra that helped. The day we threw out the bottles I just kept saying the zebra took them. I did the same thing with the paci. I bought the book called No More Paci (that didn’t help but it was worth a try.) My daughter happened to get sick a few weeks ago and got a sore mouth/swollen gums which was the perfect time for us to kill two birds with one stone. Got rid of the paci’s and sippy’s because they hurt her mouth while she was sick. Never again asked for either. Good luck! I know how hard it is!:heart: