When should kids get acrylics?

My daughter is 11 she can wear pressons for play and on weekends she can not wear them to school ots just another distraction to her and everyone else. My niece got her first set when she was 16

1 Like

I was about 11 or 12 when I started going

It’s up to you momma, what you feel comfortable with. I was around 10, same with my daughter when I started getting acrylics put on. There are a lot of alternatives too

I was in middle school when first got them done, either 7th or 8th grade.

I say 16 yrs old or older

I’ve let mine daughters get the during the summer to see how they would do one got them short the other two got them long. Two of them do not like them one is obsessed instead of taking her to the salon she does press on or we do glue on at home she is 8 the other two are 10 and 11. Do what you feel is best

Never. It’s damaging to nail bed

4 Likes

My 17-year-old cousin has nails, but since she’s young just get her stick on nails? They can be pretty without damaging her nails🤷‍♀️

Mine has gotten short ones off and and on since she was about 8/9

My step daughter is 5 and we usually get the stick on ones or the nail art stickers they have.

I personally wouldn’t start younger than 16. It’s damaging to the nail makes them very thin and brittle if you get them done often with no breaks in between sets etc. And honestly what is the point in a 10, 11, 12yr old & etc getting them?Just another thing in our society that our young girls think they “need” to be cool with friends or be pretty etc. I suggest nail wraps like colorstreet or just a fun mani pedi that doesn’t include fake nails.

I feel the same way about make-up. My niece didn’t get to start wearing make-up untill she was 16 and she got to have a makeover party with friends for her 16th. They had 2 make up artist do the girls makeup very lightly nothing overly done or caked on etc. Our young girls are starting all the make up and fake nails etc at such super young ages lately and its one of the things wrong with our society.

1 Like

When she gets a job and pays for them herself. I dont sacrifice to provide fake acrylic nails…

2 Likes

I was 13 and got acrylics and my eyebrows waxed for homecoming. I hated them and never got them again. :joy: It’s your child though, YOU make that choice. Don’t worry about what others think. Just make sure it’s a clean and reputable salon, so there’s no risk of infection. :woman_shrugging:

Personally don’t think they’re good for anyones nails. I stopped getting them along time ago when I realized how much damage they were doing to my nails. I would opt for regular manicures with polish or gel maybe, they also have colorstreet nails that I personally like. (No I don’t sell them lol)

1 Like

I let my daughter had her 1st set at 11 as a bday gift.

1 Like

That’s upto the mother
But they ruine the nails so I’d get wee stick on once from the age of 12 then get her a gift voucher to get them done for either her 16th or 18th as I’d say too young under 16

I was in Fourth grade when my mom took me. I had made honor roll at school and she wanted to do something to reward me. I absolutely loved having my nails done with my momma. I had them for about 6 weeks before they started falling off. That was the one and only time I was able to get them before I was 16, we had moved and the state we now lived in didn’t have an honor roll type reward.

I don’t think before 16 they should be encourage to do anything fake
Enjoy their real nails for now if they are young

3 Likes

7/8th grade maybe for a dance or something but not all the time. And even then not very long.

I’ve dont glue on but not acrylic bc it can damage their nails at a young age

Got my first set in 6th grade. I will most likely do the same for my daughter too.

My niece just turned 11. She gets hers done every month. My daughter is 17, but she’s been getting hers done for year’s. We go together to get them done once a month. It’s a Matter of whatever you think.

1 Like

My daughter got her first set on her 8th birthday. She’s almost 9 & has only gotten them 1-2 x’s since then. The last set, within like 4 days she had bitten them off & I told her she wasn’t doing it again for a while :sweat_smile:

So my daughter is 10 and I refuse to let her get acrylics because let’s face it… are they really responsible enough to have acrylics? They are strong and hurt if u hit them off of something. So when I go get a fill. I let my daughter get the gel mani. It’s stronger than nail polish but not as bad as acrylics.

1 Like

Mine is 8 and get them

My oldest got a set at 13. She’s great kid, keeps her grades up. My 11yo won’t be getting them for a while, I told them if they can get their math grade up to 80% we’ll get nail polish strips. It depends on the kid.

My daughters were 10. However they didn’t last long for either of them

Never ruins your nails

When they can pay for them.

5 Likes

I wasnt allowed as a kid either…oddly enough, I now sell nail polish strips :joy::joy:🤷🏼 I love nail art! I do my own acrylics as well. That being said…w my daughters I do polish their nails young and let them have press on acrylics for special occasions but at that age its a lot of commitment for upkeep.

My daughter(8) doesn’t get acrylics because her nails are gorgeous and gel and design works for her. Plus we cut them down for softball. However, my Bff daughter (11) gets hers done all the time and has for a couple years now. She started off really short and has worked her way to a medium length since she doesn’t do any sports or anything.

2 Likes

I thought we were talking about paint at first lol :sweat_smile:

Got my first set of acrylics when I was 9, I remember it was for my little sister’s baptism. But each parent is different.

Got my first set 5th grade. Didn’t get them regularly until middle school

My mom always told me when I can pay for them I can start getting them… they’re expensive and ruin your nails.

2 Likes

I dip my 11yo once a month at home

14 maybe 15. Kids younger than that should still be active and having acrylics kinda makes that hard. Especially in gym glass when they play volleyball.
I didn’t get mine done til I was 18-19. Get the gel polish, it’s stronger than normal polish but won’t damage her nails like acrylics

2 Likes

I take my daughters sometimes as a treat and they always get them super short. I think they were about 8 or 9 the first time. No problems the usually take them off after a week

Take her to get SNS (dip powder polish) instead. It provides extreme protection to the nails as they grow out naturally.

I was 11 and my 12 year old step daughter has been getting acrylics since 10. Much more common these days in my opinion

1 Like

I had mine done for grade 8 grad Angela at polish does really nice press ons

Swear Kids these days are so into the wrong things … I’d say get her a kit they have a lot from Amazon they’re like $30 and she can switch up colors anytime she wants plus it’ll be a nice hobbie

3 Likes

My daughters were 14 when they started getting their nails done regularly. Not my choice. Their dad paid for it. My girls are now in their early 20’s and still get them done and their dad still pays for them. I think it’s up to you and what you can afford.

2 Likes

Never they are terrible for your real nails.

6 Likes

I think if she is responsible enough to take care of them then it’s ok. I love to encourage my daughter to feel beautiful and have fun doing it. It’s not something I would pay for all the time, but a girls day treat.

1 Like

My daughter has been asking as well, she is 7. I’m going to allow her to get the dip nails as it does less damage to the nail than acrylic. But she has also showed me that she can take care of her nails when she gets a pedicure and painted as well as when she has the press on nails.

Are you willing to pay every 2 to 3 weeks to keep them looking good. That’s not a necessity. Better start with some dollar tree stick ons lol

3 Likes

I was 14 when I first had mine done.

My grand daughters got sns tips they are 10’and 11
Don’t get acrylics there no good sns is great n get them almond shaped and quite short they’ll love :heart: it

Just get her gel manicure.those are nice amd you get to spend time together. They grow up fast enough.

1 Like

When they are old enough to pay for them. Lol

3 Likes

My parents were super strict. I couldn’t even wear nail polish to school until middle school. My 12 year old got a kit and taught herself how to do acrylics and does them for my 10 almost 11 year old. She does them super short for her. They also do the glue on ones that last a week or two.

I’d say 14 but if she’s younger, you can do simple white-tip, short length, almond shape nails at like, age 13.
12yo is kinda pushing it. 11yo, no.

But if you don’t want to take her to a salon, maybe you can set up a mommy/daughter spa day at home and get the glue and/or sticker press-on nails. I know they have “petite” size press-on nails at Walgreens for little girls.
After the nails, you can do facials and do her feet if you have those soak-your-feet-massage machine thingamabob.

1 Like

My daughters are 14 and almost 16 and they are not permitted any type of false nails, hair color, lashes or to show their bellies or cleavage. Keep you children, CHILDREN!

2 Likes

I take my 11 tear old with my nail guy (who I’ve known since my 17 year old was a baby) he does both our nails. Of course we don’t always have the time to go so when hers start breaking or falling off bc of school we let them breathe for as long as we can as to not mess up her natural nails

Put that money in a college fund

1 Like

My mom let me get my first set at 10. I have adhd and sensory issues that were much worse at that age and ripped them off within a week but that’s just me lol nothing wrong with letting them try it once in a while🤷‍♀️

When she’s old enough to finance them herself

2 Likes

Jr high I was doing them myself. Probably got my first acrylics late Jr high or early High school.

I allow my 8 year old to do glue tips and dip powder. Theyve been on for almost 2 weeks and when they do come off they dont hurt her because i dont do much prep. They usually pop off in a whole piece.

Get dip powder instead of acrylics if she’s younger than 12. it’s not as harsh on the nail and she can get tips if she wants them to be a little longer

I encourage my kids to eat a balanced diet and care for their natural nails, but my 16 year old has been wearing fake nails for about a year. I guess I feel like it’s similar to make up, which I allowed at 13. I don’t wear makeup and I try to keep my natural nails nice, but I let my kids make those choices for themselves at 13.

2 Likes

My daughter keeps asking too and she’s 10 right now, I told her she’ll be 13 when we consider it further.

I do my daughters nails for her sometimes…her nails are naturally longer and she loves to paint them and decorate them. I bought dip powder and do them really cute for her…they last a couple weeks. We only do them once in awhile tho, not always…and I’m too cheap to get my own nails done regularly so I’m def not paying for her to get them…doing them at home was a compromise

Acrylics is damaging to the nails, I think she needs to wait till she is older

When they can pay for them themself!

2 Likes

We did it early to stop nail biting. It worked

I take them for birthdays, Christmas, etc… have since they were 11. I have 2 teens and I allow them to express themselves with nails, hair, makeup, etc. They are their own person, and I allow them to be themselves. :white_heart:

5 Likes

They are just nails it’s not that serious. I’d say maybe if under 12 take her to get some gel polish. After that acrylic should be fine

4 Likes

I was 14 when I started getting them

My mom would get her nails done :nail_care:t2: a lot so I would beg her to let me and she did every once in a while for fun. I think it’s a great bonding experience! **I got mine done for the first time when I was like 11 or 12!

1 Like

I wasn’t allowed to get acrylic nails done until i paid for them myself…

1 Like

I don’t have a daughter but I know my mom started to let me get mine done when I turned 13.

I’d take her to get gel nails done till she can afford acrylics shits expensive :rofl:

If u are ok with it then that’s all that matter I buy all the stuff and do mine and my daughters nails myself because I’m not spending that kind of money on something I know how to do

I honestly don’t care about that one bit. I might start with press ons though and see how they feel about those. Good press ons though not that cheap kid crap that falls off after 5 minutes.

9/10 my daughter asked for them. They didn’t stay on long, but she enjoyed it.

Let me tell you that being strict with a child personal property aka body part is never a good idea. My mom wouldn’t let me cut or color my hair as I wanted until I was adult and I’m now 28 with green blue and purple hair and one half of my head is shaved. I probably wouldn’t have gone this crazy with my hair now if my mom let me do what I wanted when I was younger.
I still love my hair the way it is but I feel like now that I have the freedom to do as I please that I should do the craziest thing that comes to mind to make up for having such boring hair my whole childhood.

1 Like

My 8 year old daughter (step, but we don’t use that term) gets them.
I keep them tasteful though, short and nothing too crazy. French manicures are her favorite, which is in my favor.
Honestly, my biggest issue is that they charge the same amount as a regular full set but they don’t last nearly as long as they would on an adult.

When she gets a job.

1 Like

I’ve found tons of fake nails on Amazon. It’s more cost effective and they can be changed as often as desired for a fraction of the cost. This is what my teen and I do…

1 Like

I think I was in 9th grade when I started wanting them but only got them on special occasions until I could pay for them on my own. I think 14 or 15 though or if she is younger than that the dip powder on her natural nail might be a good option.

1 Like

When she can afford them herself is what I’d do personally

2 Likes

I take my 4 year old with me to just get her nails painted :black_heart: she enjoys time with mama, not gel or anything like that but painted :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’d say she could do gel or get them when your okay with it! I know when i was in 7th and 8th grade because my aunt was a nail tech I’d get acrylics! Usually white tips with a flower on one nail (: they are just nails

I was 12 but I always chewed them off really quickly. I’d let her do gel first and see if she likes that/takes care of them. Gel is a lot easier on their nails and doesn’t ruin them when it comes off. We put gel on my 3 year old even.

I was 14 (grade 8 grad) I wasn’t allowed a bikini until 13, dye my hair at 14, and I never held that against mom or guardian. Instead I agree and am following the same ideas with my own girls (except the hair, she got to put pink in for her 11th) I don’t think acrylics is good but why nit just try gel nail polish, stays on long but no length?

You could get some poly gel. Me and my 8 year old daughter play around with them. And they come off easier and don’t damage the nails. Maybe try that first becuz she may not like the feeling. I know my daughter liked the nails but not the feeling of them.

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks… if you both agree then do it! :woman_shrugging: she’s your child.

It depends on the kid

Have her try stick on nails, it’ll be a test to see if she really likes it or not :slightly_smiling_face:

9th grade formal was the first time for me

I would say around 13 would be a good age. My girls weren’t allowed til they were teens and had to use their allowance to pay themselves unless it was a special occasion.

When she gets a job and can afford them

1 Like

I was getting mine done n 7th grade. My daughter has been getting them since 7th grade as well

I got my first set in 7th grade .

Acrylics can damage the nail bed if not done correctly, they can also damage them if not removed correctly. I would say as long as they are mature enough to take care of them and not pick at them.

NEVER they ruin your real ones

1 Like

When she can pay for them herself. Until then she can paint her natural nails.

1 Like

Why not show her how to grow her own natural, healthy nails which look so much better than acrylics

7 Likes

But my first set I believe I was 15.

1 Like