When should kids get acrylics?

I get my 11 year old stick on ones… she never keeps them on long and they are cheap lol

My mom and I never really did anything like that. I’m 26 and still don’t like fake nails or even polish. For my girls, I think for dances or something, grade 9 and up would be fine on occasion.

I really feel like the only concern I have with acrylics is that it can be so damaging to the nail. I still don’t use them for that reason. She would definitely need to be old enough not to pick them and deal with upkeep and removal.

1 Like

they will ruin her nails. Maybe for a special event, i.e. Prom or graduation.

2 Likes

My daughter is 9 and has been begging for them…not gonna happen anytime soon though. Those things are spendy and need upkeep, she’s gonna need a job first.

1 Like

I was 11 and modeling when I first got mine.

technically by law they arent supposed to acrylics on children unless they are 13+ Im a former nail tech, its because their nails are really sensitive and thinner

4 Likes

Get stick on ones off Amazon! I get these for my 6 year old, she loves them!

My daughter just got her first set recently at 14

I started when I was like 12 and my nails are destroyed (my parents where very strict I was not allowed to wear makeup, but I could only get air brush designs on my nails. Like baby feet and such. No colors). I would wait as long as u can. No need for a child to have nails. Don’t care what anyone says

2 Likes

When she has a job to pay for them to continue getting done.

3 Likes

My 8 yr old keeps asking to get these. I told her she had to wait until 12 or 13. Mainly cause if they get caught on something, it hurts. It hurts to get them off. And she also doesn’t like loud sounds so it wouldn’t be good for her. Every kid is different though.

I had this same problem, I said no at 13 at 14 buy all young girls are getting them done I don’t mind now she’s 15 but I always tell her to get them short!! She always pulls them off anyway

Mine had to wait until they could pay for them so highschool age

My daughter just got her first ones a cpl days ago. She’ll be 18 next month… she started doing the stick/glue on ones a cpl years ago… I was strict about it and wouldn’t let her because it ruins your nail beds. Oh and she had to have a job and capabilities to pay for them and their upkeep (I get mine done and pretty much have since I was 18 so it’s not that I’m against them I just didn’t want her to ruin her nail beds.)

1 Like

I was in 8th grade the first time my mom let me get acrylics and it was for my birthday. After that I think I was in high school before I got them done again

I think I would allow my daughters to get them at 13 (like for her 13th birthday) or 14 but they need to be short none of the long nail stuff. Any younger then 13 I think its too young.

Have gels instead better for her young nails

2 Likes

I took my daughter and niece who were both 12 last year to get the dip powder nails and we had a lot of fun.

I got my first acrylics like last year… I was 24. Lmao I think they’d look goofy on kids. Just do gel.

1 Like

I was 10 when my mom started letting me. She took me regularly with her for fills and new sets. I only stopped wearing them now in my 30’s because I don’t have enough time. My nails are healthy and strong and I never had an issue with them. Really glad she let me be expressive and try different nails, hairstyles and clothing!

1 Like

I’m 27 have never had mine done

when she can afford it

2 Likes

My daughter been getting them done since she was 12 she doesn’t get them done all the time but she is 14 now

I wasnt allowed to do nothing until after 15, including dating, make up, dying my hair. So, i guess 15 or until they find a job cuz i dont even pay for nails for me. :rofl: Also remember that with time, they end up ruining your natural nails.

1 Like

My nail lady told me to not do any hard nails on a child because there nails are to soft and oily. I let my daughter get gel fingernail polish done to hers. She loved them

1 Like

I let my 10 yr old get dips

1 Like

I let mine 9&10 get gel…

1 Like

We have allowed our 11 year old but she gets the tips at a short length and then has them dipped. It’s an alternative which is great because the actual acrylic/fills can be rough on the nails.

2 Likes

I let me daughter for her 13th birthday. Get the dip. It’s better for the nails then the acrylic filling and lasts longer if they are hard on them. Or you can do natural nails with it instead of getting tips.

I was 13 when my mom let me start( could only keep them very short) I’ll be 30 this year and I’ve had no issues with my nails.

My girls are still young young, but I plan to let them get gel nails whenever they are interested, they are 7 & 3 we get pedicures with gel all the time. Acrylic I’d say maybe like 13 or 14.

1 Like

Go to the dollar store and get the glue on nails. My girls love it.

3 Likes

I got my nails done for the first time in 6th grade.

Girl! They’re kids once. It’s not going to hurt her. Her fingernails will grow back out. Let her do it.

3 Likes

When I was a kid we done the nails we could buy from the store but never had them done. I guess it just depends on what u feel about them

Mine weren’t allowed until high school. It actually weakens the nail so when it’s not filled on schedule and they take them off it’s very painful. It takes layers of your nails off. That’s true for acrylic, gel fill, pink and white powder and SNS dip. While the dip powder does the least amount of damage, it still damages them nonetheless.

3 Likes

I think it looks really strange when children have fake nails. Even younger teenagers. It’s bad for their nails and kids are so much rougher too, they could do permanent damage breaking an acrylic. Idk. I’d say just paint them. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Former nail tech here. When they can be responsible for them. Cleanliness, just as one would with contacts. If they can’t keep their room clean, they could care less about clean nails. Same as makeup. Do they was their face to remove it or just sleep in it. Even glue damages their nails. Kids tend to pick, pick, pick.

4 Likes

I personally got them when I was 13

I took my daughter last year for her 10th birthday to get nails for a surprise for her birthday. The nail lady we use has a gentle kind. I can’t remember what it’s called but it doesn’t harm your natural nails.

My mom let me start getting mine done around 12. They came off during basketball season, then went back on after :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I think high school is appropriate kids got to understand things cost money and if they can’t afford it shouldn’t become a demand nothing wrong with glueing press ons on for a cute temporary look

I was 13.middle school for the dances

I dip my daughters since she was 9. It’s just like acrylic but to me it’s better.

Id do gels to start.
Or shellac

I’d wait until shes a little bit older and then do it

Over time with long term use they will damage the natural nail. For a short time they would be ok. But the press on would be a better way to go.

Never. They’re so bad for her nails. It makes the real nails weak and break easy.

2 Likes

I let my daughter do it once when she graduated elementary. She hasn’t since but she did well with them.

When they can pay for acrylics themselves n have there own job…is the right time they can get acrylics …the end …

7 Likes

High school and only if they pay for it. Also, must be reasonable length.

As a professional nail tech myself…… I don’t recommend acrylic nails on anyone under 16. Their nails are still soft and tender. It could cause permanent damage.

5 Likes

I got acrylics very young. I don’t see a problem with it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It isn’t recommended to get them until they’ve fully gone thru puberty because they can damage the still- forming nail beds. Doing a gel polish is much better for them and it doesn’t come off like regular polish and doesn’t damage the nail beds.

1 Like

I was 16. My daughter is 10 and wants them I firmly said no. They damage your nail bed even if you use gel. I do let her get her nails and toes painted but no acrylic nails until she’s 16

In my opinion, and I am kind of “old school” what do kids have to look forward to when they get older if they get everything when they are young?

2 Likes

Plus it is expensive!

1 Like

I’d try maybe press ons to start and to learn nail care/maintenance first

1 Like

I just took my acrylics off after 2 years. My nails are DESTROYED!

1 Like

When YOU decide its the right time.

Id say like 13-15 but like once in awhile not all the time.

3 Likes

My daughter is 14 … I don’t allow acrylics. I had them at her age & older … I have done gel for her nails … if anything, I’d allow the dip powder…

2 Likes

My daughter was 13 when she first got acrylics as long as they were short/sporty Length.

I just asked my nail tech this and she said she wouldn’t do anyone under 12 and that was pushing it. She said she wouldn’t recommend the parent leaving them on like adults do. Their nails will be damaged. Only special occasions.

Poly gel nails are safe and fun for lil girls… look into that… you can do them at home.

2 Likes

Get her stick on nails for now I would say with the nail adhesive already there i would imagine it would be better for her to use and she would still get something

My daughter is 13 and got hers done either last year or the year before for her dad and step mom’s wedding. She is a huge nail biter so she has almost no nail (they are very small anyway) and they didn’t last long after the wedding. I do think they need to be older as stated above their nail beds and become very damaged. She only got hers done for the wedding

If they’re young, at can damage their nail beds.
My daughter is 12 and I buy the kits to do hers but I also do treatments for her nails for the week prior and after they come off. She can only do them 3x a year. So far, so good.

My mom has had acrylics since she was 18. My grandparents were very strict. Of course now being almost 50 her nails are thin and breaking. She gets them changed out every 3-4 weeks. Now she just does gel nails.

Personally I think it’s ultimately your decision not your moms. Why not try press on ones for more of your not comfortable letting her go full out.

Use your instincts do not get them for her she’s too young

Self expression it’s only nails obviously not Cardi B long but within reason any color is ok I think

I would get her press ONS only till she turns 16

At 13, my daughters get their claddagh rings, and their first acrylic sets (short and square). I felt 13 was a good age and helps make the first “teen” birthday special :purple_heart:

1 Like

My daughter is 11. Her step mom owns a nail salon and my little girls nails stay done with acrylics lol. She does them short so she can still tumble and do everyday activities. They are just nails.:woman_shrugging: