When should kids ride bikes on their own?

What age would you allow your kids to ride their bikes around the neighborhood on their own (with phones that have trackers) my kids are 10 and 11 and have friends that do it all the time so naturally they feel they need to do it too…i jsut dont know how to feel about it…when did you trust your kids?

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/when-should-kids-ride-bikes-on-their-own/20208

Is your neighborhood safe? Will they stay with their friends as a group? Do you trust your kids to follow your out door rules? If yes, then why not?

1 Like

My kids are 8 and 10. They are still not allowed to ride around the neighborhood alone. Either me or my husband are outside watching them. I’m not a trusting parent. I am not worried my girls would do something they’re not allowed to but I don’t trust anyone else. After doing a sec offenders search of my address (which is in a very nice area) there are 83 sex offenders within 1 mile.

I was cycling with friends from about eight and on my own from about ten. And I didn’t have a mobile phone! It greatly depends on how sensible your kid is on a bike and whether it would involve busy roads. I’d certainly trust them. Maybe start with letting them go out for a short distance or time? We started by letting ours go to the local shop by themselves for example.

My 15 and 9 year old ride their bikes together to the store Nad stuff all the time. However, in today’s age I would never let my 9 year old ride alone.

Todays world is very different from when we were kids. Mine are 14 and 12 and we just started letting them. My 8 yr old doesn’t. Not just yet

I’am making over $135 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 18642 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs794.pages.dev/

We live in a sage neighborhood, so at 10 I would let my son with friends or to a friend’s house.

It really depends on your kids and your area.
What’s right for one child may not necessarily be right for the next. It has more to do with their personalities, level of maturity, and capabilities rather than their age.
Here’s a few things to think about:

1. what is your neighborhood like? Is it on a busy road? Is it fairly quiet? Do most people follow the speed limit and obey stop signs?
  2. How well do your kids follow rules? At home, at school, when out at other places? Once they know a rule exists do they do well to follow it on their own? Or do they need constant reminders (think more behavior rules than chore rules here)
  3. Do your kids do well at practicing safety? Looking both ways. Not talking to strangers. Wearing helmets. ECT? Or are you constantly having to be on them about it?
  4. Do they know what to do in an emergency? Are they capable of acting on it? If someone gets hurt…do they know to call you or find a trusted adult? Can they act on it?

in a safe neighborhood, with kids that know bike safety when riding on roads, that’s a god age to let them.

What kind of neighborhood do you live in? Is it a bad one, where neighbors look the other way at issues or is it a nice neighborhood where everyone (kind of) knows everyone and looks out for one another?

How mature are your kids for their ages? Can you trust them?

I would suggest letting them go riding with their friends, in groups, never alone.

Its not really about trusting your kids…its about them being safe out by themselves.
My 4yo got riding round the block years ago but my 7yo grandaughter is not allowed out the garden alone. Sadly its a very different world now.

I Get Paid 0ver $ 107 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13785 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitles

SEE M0RE HERE…>> https://JobsCareer45.pages.dev

I’d let them in a group at that age, but not by themselves. Too many kids go missing. It’s not even about your neighborhood, there are creeps driving around everywhere. I’m an overly cautious mom. I’d definitely let them in a larger group at that age though.

It depends on you and your kids, not necessarily on the neighborhoods. Bad things happen in the best of neighborhoods. When mine where that age I had them use the buddy system and boundaries. The school park was 3 blocks from the house you can go but _______ has to go with you as well. Stay for ____ hrs and come back to check in with me. Or in that amount of time I go to them.

I’am making over $140 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 18961 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs907.pages.dev/

Depends on the neighborhood. I let mine at 8

My son is 10 and isnt allowed outside alone. He does not have phone either. If we lived in a better area when he is 13+ maybe.

I let me 10 (soon to be 11) ride his bike to practice and around a few blocks but with his phone on him and let him.and.my 9 year.old to go to.the.family dollar near us but it’s.on like the.side.of the main road where they don’t have to cross …they have to call as soon as they get there and coming home …he always has to call when he gets to practice and.when.hes coming home

My son asks all the time and I can’t :person_shrugging: he’s 9.5

1 Like

11 with a phone over here. I do let him take his brother with him SOMETIMES and he is almost 9. I use life 360 and we have a rule that he has to check in every half hour

My daughter was 13 before she was allowed to go anywhere by herself and we live in a small communtiy.

Depends on your kids and where you live. If you’re reluctant don’t do it.

I Get Paid 0ver $ 107 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13699 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitles

SEE M0RE HERE…>> https://JobsCareer40.pages.dev