When to get a child a pet?

Hey y’all I have an almost 3 year old and just looking for experiences. When is a good time to get a fish or fishes for your little one?

1 Like

I tried to get my son a betta around 2. He wasn’t interested. Around 3 1/2 he started paying attention more to our cat and other animals. Would say it depends on the child. My son is now 4 and I’m still going to wait until he’s a little more responsible.

My 4 yr old got hers out of the fish tank because “it was cold and wanted to snuggle,” I found it on her pillow the next morning. Eventually I will try again but probably not anytime soon.

1 Like

It depends on the maturity level of the child. If its going to be that child’s pet, make sure that child is able to care for it. Otherwise it’s your pet, not theirs.

When YOU are ready to take care of one. Lmao.
We got a hamster for our boys (they were 4 and 7 at the time). She was amazing…the kids LOVeD her. But I was the one cleaning her cage, feeding her, getting her out for some human time. Lol. It does depend on the kid. Dont get them an animal unless they are truly interested for real…my boys are now 12 and 9. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. They feed the animals every day, they take the dogs in the yard and pick up the poop. We do it as well…but the kids are great at it. They get the dogs running in the yard. Playing and running around.
Knowing what I know now…I would have waited until my youngest was 6 before getting the hammy, but she was awesome. Lol.

I got my son his beta at 2, he is obsessed with fish! But he is also a very responsible 2, doesn’t mess with things he shouldn’t mess with.

I teach preschool (three year olds) and we have a pet beta in my classroom. His name is Calio.