When to introduce sippy cup?

When is the best time to start your little one on a sippy cup.?? My baby boy is 7 months, but I don’t feel very comfortable starting him on a sippy anytime soon due to latching problems. His bottles have to be ordered because he takes a special nipple, but I’m being pressured to start him on something he’s not ready for. What should I do.?

10 Likes

You are his mother, end of discussion! They don’t need sippies that early anyway

2 Likes

All you can do now is introduce it so he can become familar to it, he technically doesn’t need it until he is a year though.

1 Like

Do what u think!
don’t worry about what others want u to do or say to do.

2 Likes

Wait til YOU think he is ready. YOU ARE HIS MOTHER. what anyone else thinks doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

You do whatever you feel is right for YOUR child

1 Like

Your mom, your choice.

1 Like

Sippy cups aren’t really needed until a year old. My babies are 1 1/2 and still use bottles for bedtime. Do what you feel is best

2 Likes

Do what you feel is right he is your child and you know him best

1 Like

follow your gut. he’s your baby. you know what’s best for him.

1 Like

I’m sorry to all the mom saying they don’t need sippy cups that early is freaking ridiculous why the hell do you think they make them starting at 4 months it’s to try to get them use to them people

2 Likes

My son is 9 months and RARELY drinks out of his sippy cup. I honestly don’t worry about it, if he wants to go from bottle to straight up cup then so be it.

1 Like

My daughter is 7.5 months. I’ve been giving her different kinds of sippy to practice with for about a month. But she had no latching issues (we were just trying to find something she would drink out of other than a boob :sweat_smile:). Do what you think is best. You’re the mama!

1 Like

But by all means do what you want he is your child

1 Like

I started my daughter around 7 months, because I didn’t want her too attached to a bottle. I still gave her formula in a bottle and still give her milk in her bottle, now…but everything else goes in a sippy cup.
Completely up to you, though. You are his mother.

1 Like

Hes ur child not anybody elses you do what u feel is right. Besides when hes ready youll know.

1 Like

U do what u know & feel is right for ur baby & tell other ppl to shove it

1 Like

I mean 7 months is definitely old enough unless there is a valid medical reason otherwise. They make many kinds of sippy cups. You just need to experiment and find what works for that particular child. The earlier you introduce it the easier the transition will be…

My son is 10 months and he still takes a bottle. Sippy cups frustrate him too easily right now.

1 Like

When I was a childcare/licensed DCF worker, we weren’t even allowed to give soppy cups until 1 year of age. That’s the “norm” to be off the bottle I guess.
You’re mom. It’s your choice.
If they keep pressuring and you’re not comfortable, simply say “the doctor doesn’t recommend that quite yet”

3 Likes

4 months. My youngest has latching issues she’ll only take a mam bottle she wasn’t able to latch to breast or regular bottles. We bought her the mam sippy cups that we’ll start introducing in 2 months .(she’s only going to be 2 months old tomorrow)

I would start letting him play with it now and eventually he will try it when he is ready

1 Like

Do whatever you think is best. I introduced my daughter to a sippy at 4 months old and she took to it fast and only used bottles at night and sippy at day. If you don’t think he’s ready then don’t do it, but it also doesnt hurt to introduce him to it just to see, but again you’re mama you know what’s best for him

2 Likes

I did mine at 12 mos I think. Once they changed off formula they stopped bottles

1 Like

Do what you want and don’t worry about anyone else’s opinions. My son hated all kinds of cups until he was 1. And I tried many. I stressed so much over it and now at 1.5 I’m like why did I worry so much over something so small. He’s perfectly fine.

3 Likes

My youngest son wouldn’t take a bottle or formula at 8 months. He literally would throw the bottle in the trash. So he ended up with a sippy cup and whole milk. Never had any problems

Any time, do it when you feel comfortable

3 Likes

My daughter wanted nothing to do with a sippy until she was like 14 months lol.

2 Likes

You will know when he is ready. No one knows him better than you do. My doctor recently told me 18 months is when they like to see them completely off of a bottle. But my youngest is 14 months and we started switching around a year old. But you do what’s best for him, you know best!

3 Likes

Tell them to back the eff off. This is your child. You know him better than they do. Mind their own damn business.

Try a sippy! My daughter had latch problems (on a bottle) so we tried her on a sippy at 6mo and she LOVED it! We still gave her a bottle but she preferred a sippy. We didn’t have to worry about bottles at all come 12mo because she didn’t like them anyways

My daughter is 8 months old and I haven’t even thought about using a sippy cup yet. She’s not even the slightest bit interested in holding her own bottle yet. Lol

1 Like

6 months for my daughter with water

My daughter turned 6 months today, introduced to a sippy with some water yesterday and she loves it so far… but she has also been holding her bottle on her own since 5 months. She is trying to suck it like a bottle nipple, it’s only her second day with it, it’s still new, she will learn it with time

My daughter started a sippy cup at 3 months because she wouldn’t take a bottle

Every child is different. They all will go at their own pace. It doesn’t mean one is better or smarter than the other. Do it when you feel your child is ready

You are the mom… you do whats best

2 Likes

The recommendation by the aap and ada is to be off a bottle by 18 months. I started giving my son a sippy cup when he was allowed to have water. Formula went in a bottle and water in a sippy. Took trying 8 different cups and 7 months to find one he liked.

Let him drink the water he needs from a bottle until you feel he’s ready. There is no rush.
If you have latching problems, pump and btl feed if that’s what he needs. You do what you feel is best for mama and baby, you know best.
The pressure & options that outside sources have is usually overbearing and honestly unwelcome. Im shocked at the forceful options some people have for new moms. Just bc they apply pressure says everything about them and absolutely nothing about the awesome mama you are.
The milestones will be reached when they are reached, every baby is different.

2 Likes

I was told by the pediatrician that they should be at least transitioning onto on a sippy cup by the time they are 15 months. So if he isn’t ready that’s ok. But try introducing it here there.

1 Like

Do it during meal times.

6 months and we ditched all bottles and binks either at 6 months or when he got teeth, 6 months came first lol he took right to the 360 and before he was 1 he was on regular cups at home and in restaurants.

I started letting my son mess around with one at 4 months. He started legit drinking from it at 6 months. Tossed his bottles away at 11 months but it’s up to you. Just know that a lot of the times the child is ready it’s us that’s not ready. Wouldn’t hurt to give it a shot.

Don’t force it! When your babe is ready you will know!

Do what you think is best…i didnt start my baby on sippys till like 10 months n its the soft nipple like spout…she does not like em much but she has to take them at daycare now that she is 1 and shes in the toddler room…she does not drink alot at daycare …i give her her baba at home …i dont mind if she stays my baby a little longer …all my kids kept the bottle till they were 2 only using sippys here n there and they are all perfectly fine

Your the mother and Mother’s know best

Forget what other people think. You owe no one an explanation.

1 Like

Do what you think is best Every baby has their own time they do things

1 Like

Go to the store and find one on his age range and try a few different ones out… You never know till you try and every child is different so just go by how your baby does with it.

He is your baby do what you want when you want and tell who ever is pressuring you to back off he is your child and it’s up to you.

1 Like

A cup will not hurt him. Little sips of water.

You do whats best for your son only you the mother knows what’s best right now

Besides every baby develops at different mile stones not all our exactly 100 % on track

If you’re being pressured and you know LO is not ready, tell the person to kindly f**k off and stick it where the sun don’t shine. Your baby, not theirs.

My daughter had only formula from bottles until her first birthday. Then when we started transitioning to milk we introduced the sippy cups. She never used the super common type. She went straight to ones with soft straws. Now she has the 360 cups.

When my kiddos hit 6 months they started out on cups

Tell people to mind their business. You decide. My kids had bottles till they were 1. You do you.

Its your baby don’t be afraid to do what you think is best for you and your sweet little one. Anyone that tries to pressure you into something you feel you or your little one arent ready for doesn’t need to be giving you advice. Because if they can’t pick up that you aren’t comfortable doing said action and they arent supportive or understanding of the decisions you make for your child then maybe they don’t need to be giving you advice.

Now, I did around 7-8 months. They still had bottles too from time to time. It was easier to take bottle away. My kids liked their sippy cup!

Do what your heart as a mother tells you to do or the best thing to do is Pray about it don’t trust others the Lord gave You that baby and he’ll will help with all

FOLLOW YOUR GUT, if you think not ready then probably not ready, no one knows your baby better than u

Try an see what happens you maybe surprised

It is totally up to you. We tried to skip bottles completely so my son started a sippy around 6.5-7 months for things other than Bm.

When you’re ready to do it!! Depending on to bottle brand some have the sippy cups that you can put the bottle nipple in so they can use the handles and get used to it then jyst switch it back to the sippy cup nipple when you’re ready! I use aven’t bottles and they have the sippy cups and the 360 cups and my daughter loves all of thrm!! (She’s 9 months! )

I kept the formula in the bottle and did like water or juice in the sippy. When he is ready you will know. Both of mine refused the bottle when they were ready. I was pressured also.