When to start baby on solids?

How old was your baby when you started them on baby food? My son is 3 months old and eats like crazy. He’s eating 6-8 oz with rice in his bottle every 4-5 hours.

38 Likes

No solid foods till 6 months of age, and unless your baby has acid reflux, feeding them rice cereal is a big NO! PLEASE STOP DOING THAT TO YOUR BABY

20 Likes

When your doctor says it’s okay. Feed on demand. Don’t put cereal in the bottle.

5 Likes

My son was 3.5 months old he had to go mox fed at 2 weeks old breast and formula he was literally STARVING

Dr suggested food early low and behold he never screamd a minute more for food happy as 2.5 year old now :slight_smile:

Please stop putting rice cereal in his bottle!

11 Likes

6 months old
No solids till 6 months unless pediatrician says otherwise

6 Likes

You are good with putting rice cereal in his bottles, it’ll keep him satisfied. Baby food should definitely be fine. If you’re a little concerned just checked the jar of baby food & it’ll say on the label the age group it’s made for

4 Likes

We waited 6 months with both our babies.

1 Like

I started mine at 4 months old. I wouldn’t recommend putting cereal in his bottle every feeding.

1 Like

6-8oz every 4-5 hours is actually not too much. He’s a growing boy.

6 months when it was approved by his pediatrician. You should ask your child’s doctor instead of people on the internet.

3 Likes

My dr had us put my oldest on baby food at around 3 1/2 months old

1 Like

He’s probably going through a growth spurt. Talk to his doctor, not a Facebook group. Making larger bottles or feeding more often is fine if he needs it. Recommendation now is no solids until 6 months and rice cereal isn’t going to help keep him full because not only is it a choking hazard from a bottle, it has no nutritional value.

3 Likes

Girl if he’s ready he’s ready I stopped formula and baby food with my first at 10 months because that’s what he wanted and don’t listen to some of these ignorant comments

2 Likes

4mo for solids with both of my kids per my doctor. And we never did baby cereals. Actually my pediatrician specifically said to stay away from baby cereals for a number of reasons. And that starting with cereals, in general is outdated information. He’s probably eating that much due to the rice cereal in his bottle.

Most babies don’t start eating baby food until 6 months or later ask your doctor

1 Like

I waited until mine was 7 months

1 Like

We started introducing a little baby food at 4 months per our pediatrician approval and suggestion because my son was ready. I never did rice cereal I just never wanted to. He got breast milk until he was 13 months ( I exclusively pumped) and he started baby food at 4 months and it progressed from there as he got older. Still breast milk or formula should be the main food source until they are a year, but ask your pediatrician next visit if they think starting baby food is ok. Our told us to start with orange I think like sweet potato and carrot and squash, mild stuff. You don’t wanna jump right in to like strawberries or something.

Youngest was 2months cause formula was not filling him up at all

1 Like

My pediatrician told us to let our baby eat as much formula as he wants but not to add rice or start baby foods until 4 months , every baby is different thought I would just call and ask your pediatrician

1 Like

I started introducing it at 4 months. 6-8 oz every 4-5 hours really isn’t alot though.

My oldest daughter was 6 months old and my youngest daughter was 3 months old due to the Dr recommend because she has acid reflux and a hard time gaining weight

You do as you feel best mama we know our kids better then anyone! I started my daughter on baby food at 4 months. By the time she was 7 months she was eating our food mashed up of course and was off formula by 10 months. That’s what she wanted and helped her so that’s what she got.

1 Like

2-4 months. I’m on my 5th child they all had very bad reflux so per pediatrician I started them as early as 2 months. It worked great! Kept them full longer and they threw up less

4 month old baby cereal and 6 month
old solid food

Talk to your pedestrian about this. I breast fed exclusively for the first 4 months with my first. With my second, I breasfed and supplemented with formula for the first 4 months.

All 3 of mine started baby food at 4 months they are all fine! Do what you feel is best mama!

??? Babies have small tummies they have to eat often… He doesn’t need baby food right now

5 Likes

Started my LO at 4mths…my daughter waited closer to 6…never did rice in bottle cuz was told was a harder transition to spoon but some docs do say to do it if they want the LO gaining more weight. My doc gave the okay at 4mths (she has her LO a couple months b4 I did mine and she said she started at 4mths) w my now 7mth old. 6oz bottles every 4hrs…he has his rice cereal twice a day along w what’s remaining in bottle after making cereal and w a baby jar of food with lunch bottle feeding. Been sleeping through the night for months now and once I notice earlier wake ups n not being able to have him go right back to sleep, that’s when I know he needs an increase. Just listen to ur doc but also listen to ur baby. They may not say it but they will lyk somehow

4 months with baby food then when he turned 6 months we started baby led weaning

Please stop putting rice in your babies bottle that is so out dated not NOT recoomend anymore it posses a huge choking risk! Also that’s a bit early babes is still suppose to eat often at that age dont rush them theyll be there soon enough…

6 Likes

My grandson was a month old when he started cereal. When he started wanting to eat 21/2 hours she started baby food. He was 4mths. Just introduce veggies first…

No solid food until 6 months, that includes rice.

2 Likes

Oh no baby what is u doing??:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

i didn’t start any solids (rice cereal or anything) until around 6 months.

1 Like

I’m a infant teacher and I start introducing baby food at 4 months.thats going according to the food program guide lines… I start with veggies first, cuz if you give fruit they tend to have a sweet tooth and not want to eat veggies…

1 Like

7.5 months. She’ll finally lost the tongue reflex

1 Like

Our pediatrician gave us the ok to start baby food and cereal at 4 months old so that’s exactly what we did.

I started mine at 4 1/2 months but his pediatrician evaluated his swallow reflex to make sure that it was safe for him to start on baby foods. I would talk to your doctor and see what they say

1 Like

Just curious but why does everyone keep saying there is no nutritional value in rice cereal?? Serious question.

I’m looking at the nutrition facts and rice cereal is chock full of DHA, probiotics, iron, calcium, vitamin d, etc…

3 Likes

not tilll he was 8 months 9 months but only like 2 4 ounces canns a day

1 Like

All you people saying thats a choking hazard and blah blah. My doctor required me to do it from 2 months to 4 mo ths then had me introduce him to food. Givi g your baby just a bottle of formula is a choking hazard. Thays why u dont prop the bottle… Hold your LO and parent as you see fit. Not every baby is the same. And not every mom is the same. Talk to your babies doctor. And see what they say. If you do give him food always give veggies first cuz if tou give fruit first they wont want the veggies later.

3 Likes

My kids were between 4 and 6 months before starting anything…even rice cereal. And please no cereal in the bottles! That is typically not recommended. Unless there are other issues where you are told to. For instance, my son had acid reflux, and we were told to try so many things, including rice cereal in the bottles. But that was one kid out of my four.

My oldest was started on baby food at just a week old.The doctor and I agreed to this.You would probably want to talk to the doctor but if he is hungry feed him.I don’t need any bad comments please.My son weighed 12 pounds when he was born and was always hungry.The baby food did not harm my child.He is 26 years old and is healthy he is not overweight and had no problems as a child.

2 Likes

I wonder why people ask these questions. Is it to get a rise out of people, to tell you, you’re parenting wrong? Anyway. Nothing WRONG about putting small amounts of cereal in the babies bottle. To reduce a chocking hazard…dont leave your child unattended while eating.

1 Like

Don’t listen to anyone here. Too many shit opinions girl x

I started my daughter on cereal at 2 months old because she acted like she was hungry all the time and my son I started him on cereal at 3 months old and solid food for both my kids at 4 months with certain soft foods.

My son was eating rice cereal at 3 months. Definitely helped for longer periods of sleep at night!

I started at 4 months per pediatrician recommendation. He will probably still eat tons of formula though and don’t worry when you first start foods they spit a lot out and main nutrition will still be from formula.

1 Like

Try putting a jar of the baby food… Bananas are really good… Mix 2 teaspoon with the for baby formula I am a mother of 4.

3 months old eating only every 4-5 hours??? That’s not a lot🤦🏻‍♀️ All three of my sons always ate every 2-3 hours.

4 Likes

I started putting a little rice cereal in their bottle of formula when they were 10 days old.they never went to a Dr unless they were sick.which wasn’t often.i did not take them to the Dr at very little bump.they had their shots when they started school.

All you need to give him is formula and age appropriate baby cereals until he’s 6months.
I would go to WIC, they will help you out so much with all the info you need, plus give you the formula and cereals FREE. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I started giving my kids little bits of it starting at e months. Every kid is different. My daughter wasn’t ready to do full baby food until she was 6 months. My son was started on it at 3 months, and was eating it constantly by 4 months. 6 months he outright refused baby food and wanted real food. Wouldn’t eat baby food at all, not even his favorites! An infant dietician sain that it can happen with babies with siblings close in age.

My youngest is 4 months she started oatmeal in the bottle at 2 months due to severe reflux and then purees at 3 1/2 months . she’ll start baby led weaning at 6 months when she meets all requirements .

1 Like

Mine was 6 months old. Or ask Your babys Dr.

Formula only till 6 months

2 Likes

Small amounts at 4 months for my baby girl because she was so tiny she wanted her to gain weight. Ask your doctor at the 4 month checkup

1 Like

My son was eating every two to three hours at that age, but it was about 4-5 ounces with cereal because he’s a reflux baby. He’s now six months and eats six ounces with cereal and we started him on a few small spoonfuls of baby food as well

My baby has been on rice cereal since about 4 weeks and fruits since 2 months. She’s going to be 4 months next week and we starts veggies last week

5 Likes

My son will be 7 months and won’t eat baby food he doesn’t like it. He will eat the puff snacks and these banana cream wheels he likes for teething… we also give him regular food like mashed potatoes with a little gravy soft mushy stuff… he likes little peices of muffins, bread, tiny peices if softer meats. I have 2 kids and with both their doctor gave the okay at 4 months but, he didn’t really start liking it wanting to eat food without spitting it out until 6 months… my son is also breastfed so, I don’t really give him other foods unless it is a taste until he is a little older

1 Like

4 months at the earliest!! Veggies, fruits, then meat. Its not about how hungry they are though, its about when they are ready. Supported sitting well? Can they understand to eat off of a spoon? Do they mimic you opening and closing your mouth when you eat? Do they show interest? My son was showing all of these signs at 3 months but we waited until 4, Dr also recommended to start at 4 months.

4 Likes

I started at 2 months.

2 Likes

Formula or breast milk is recommended bc it is better for the brain development. Every child is different as far as food. You start them when they seem ready.

4 months you start single foods (blended). 6 months you start mixed blended foods with some easy finger foods