Who has moved away from their family?

Who here has moved away from family while having a child/children? How was that experience for you? I’m considering moving with my husband and daughter (4 yr) to start over fresh and find other adventures/ opportunities. We’ve looked at states anywhere up to 6 hours away. I feel like this would be a very positive change for us and allow for a new beginning. We’ve been together 7 years but have spent the last two years living with family due to family health concerns and finances. It was easier to live together at that point, but those arent factors anymore. Now though I would like to have new experiences and move somewhere other than here. My drawback is my family (mainly mom) isn’t as supportive of this choice because we’re taking my daughter away. How would you deal with the not so supportive family? Am I wrong for wanting to move? In no way would I just take my daughter from her family. I would absolutely be willing to let her come back every few weeks/months for a visit or even a week stay. I just don’t know how to handle the guilt that they are putting on me for wanting to go elsewhere. Approve

3 Likes

My husband and I moved 9 hrs away from all family to Florida when our son was 1. We only had 2 friends there. Honestly it was the best thing we ever did!

I did this. The quality time visiting is so much more. Like they appreciate the time spent together. I do miss everyday stuff but I FaceTime

Me I am
3 states away from my family I am happy and was the best decision I made it’s already been 16 years since I left the town I went to school and grew up in

I did best thing we ever did. Moved to a whole different state and put distance between both sides of the family and us. Now we can maintain our boundaries with each of them. Kids are very happy to be in the state we live in now and we do have visits with family .

Unless my husband‘s job took him away again with the army, I would not optionally move away from my parents. Mainly because my daughter is super attached to them and they are to her.
If a wild opportunity came about then yes we’d go because it’s mainly about our family we created. But I do take into consideration other relationships 

1 Like

Yes!! Do this. I moved just me and my son 1700 miles away from everything I’ve ever known. It was a 24 hour drive away, 5 states, and it was the best decision I ever made for me and my two boys. I have zero regrets. Everything we did/ saw was a new experience, I found myself when I left.

You have your family to think about,if it’s what you and your husband want ,go for it. Your family has raised their family and can FaceTime weekly and visit often.

It’s not your mom’s choice what you do with your daughter. As hard as it may be to go against what your mom wants, it’s YOUR child.
I moved 16 hours away from home with my at the time husband and his son. I didn’t work, so I was able to fly/drive back and forth every three weeks so the son could be with mom, and I would see my family then. It was absolutely worth it!

My husband and I spent many years in the military. We both left family, and then raised children in several different states than where our families lived. we got the guilt trip too, (from both sides) and everyone wanted us closer. However, I would not change a thing and recommend you take the opportunity to try new things and explore new places. Your kids will thank you too. Grandma can visit you and grand babies(if and when they’re old enough) can go visit Grandma. Take the leap!

You have a right to live your life how you want

Best thing we did.
Be realistic, you may not have time to drop off and pick up every other week or so. Moving, setting up a new place, jobs, schools, learning your new city, making new friend, esp for your little one, all that takes time. If they are so worried, they’d can come to you. It is not always up to you to make the effort.
I get they’ll miss her but your life is yours to live. Even if parents dislike it. If you think this is best, do it. They will get over being mad. If they don’t, one less person to worry abt visiting.
Do not let anyone guilt you into not doing what you need to do for you & your family. :two_hearts:

I was on the opposite coast for the first several years and then 10 hrs away for the last 25 .Yes it’s hard to not have family around but you have to put your current family ( husband and child ) first and do what is best for you .Dont let your mother guilt you .I am a grandmother and would be sad if my kids moved away but if that’s what was best for them ,I would support it .

I moved 12 hours away when my kids were 1 & 5.

I moved just 2 hours away and love it. I felt like I got to reinvent myself. Spending time with family also seems more precious and valuable because you aren’t around each other all the time. I miss my sister most.

My mother has been about a days drive away since 2007, so sometimes we visit for about a week at a time. Her sisters and the cousins i grew up with lived about 4 hours away so we’d spend random holidays and birthdays with them, and make weekends out of that. My father and grandmother passed away recently, and they were the only reason i was staying where i grew up. After my divorce i moved farther away from them and the rest of my family, i haven’t physically seen anyone in my mother’s side in over a year, i haven’t physically seen my mother since before the pandemic. It’s nice to have my own little space away from all that stuff near the ocean, though.

Just do it, you can always go back home if you don’t like it.