Why do babies comfort nurse so much?

What would cause my 3.5month old to suddenly need more comforting nursing and snuggles in the middle of the night? He’s also struggling to self sooth and fall asleep on his own. I’ve been putting him down drowsy for almost a month but now it’s a struggle for him. Prior to this, he’d nurse 2x a night and go back to bed easily after a full belly. I’ve been back to work for two weeks, so I’m not sure if it’s that or something else. Thank you!

5 Likes

He’s cluster feeding.

It’s normal. Babies and toddlers go through sleep regression often.

Growth spurt/cluster feeding and sleep regression

Separation anxiety. They will go through that often

Teething. Growth spurt. Cluster feeding. All of the above. Maybe he just needs mama snuggles.

Growth spurt, teething, first round of separation anxiety. Could be a number of reasons. While I’m a big supporter of self soothing/sleep training 3 months is still a little young for them to be capable of completely self soothing on a consistent basis.

He’s still a baby… My kids didn’t sleep through the night for a long time. :sweat: They’re a lot bigger now and they still wake me up! :grin:

Growing, beginning to teethe?

My baby slept 4-6 hrs when I first brought her home. About 6 months or so started waking up more. Sometimes she wakes up, sometimes she sleeps through the night. That’s just how babies are.

Don’t do that lay down “drowsy” thing. I held my daughter and rocked her to sleep for 11 months. I would lay her down 20 minutes after she was out and she slept great. She is now in a toddler bed and crawls in on her own, I sit beside the bed for a couple minutes and she falls asleep. U will miss all that holding and snuggling once day. Plus…ur baby is ONLY 3.5 months. They were inside of u, close and comfortable for 9 months. You are all they know… hold that baby and cherish the moments before they are gone. Don’t rush through them

1 Like