Why do boy cats spray?

Why do boy cats spray? We got him fixed and everything…nothing is wrong with him he has been to the vet…hes jut always spraying…I don’t want to get rid of him but at the same time its been months and i have tried everything…

1 Like

How old was he neutered? If he established that behavior first then it’s hard to break I some cats

2 Likes

Do you have any other pets in the home? Spraying is a sign of marking his territory. Showing dominance. And honestly? Best person to ask what to do about those 2 things that cause spraying would be your Vet.

2 Likes

Usually it’s about marking territory and covering other scents. Potentially other animals. If you don’t neuter them before 4-6 months when their hormones fully kick in, it’s really hard to break. My family had a male cat once that was so territorial he continued spraying even to cover our female cats scent. Not sure there is a way to break it after neutering. But vets would be the best people to ask.

3 Likes

Check out Jackson Galaxy videos. He has a ton of cat behavioral videos and solutions.

2 Likes

Hi get the hormone diffuser from the vets. It may work.

Id take him to the Vet. Because something as simple as spraying could turn into a blockage or UTI that’s deadly to cats. And cats mask pain well. So you have to just keep an eye on any other strange movements or noise

Any new animals? Or animals in general? What about outside your house? My car goes insane when the stray cats are all around our yard. He was neutered young and in general a laid back relaxed cat. But crazy when they’re around.

Pet Vet Corner ℠ (ONLY APPROVED VETERINARIANS COMMENT)

If he is spraying where he sprayed before he is resenting the area. Try cleaning the areas with enzyme cleaners designed for cat urine.

1 Like

Ask your vet about starting Prozac for the cat. It was the only thing that helped

He is still marking his territory
Many desexed male cats will still do this after his balls get removed

Call your vet and not Facebook

1 Like

my cat used to do it only in my daughter’s room!!! Til this day he will piss on her stuff or spray…ONLY HER STUFF, needless to say hes not allowed in her room. shes 6. Im a bad cat owner bc I havent taken him to the vet…bc he doesnt do it often or anywhere else except for her room and its very very random

Spraying…marking his territory

I use to have a younger cat that done that, he knew how to use the litter box and everything and it had the WORST behavior, it would spray even after being fixed, it would shred toilet paper, it would pee on our clean clothes that was in a clothes basket, I ended up having to get rid of him, it didn’t matter what I did, just some cats can’t be fixed, I’ve had my other male cat since he was 6 weeks old, he’s 7 years old now and he’s never done anything as bad as that cat did!

Stress marking territory all kinds of things their environment lol I’ve had cats for most of my life I have a 11-year-old girl about to be 12 a 1-year-old girl about to be 2 and I’ve had boy cats even when you get them fixed they might still pee around the house if it’s stress or their litter is not changed enough cats are very picky and if you got them fixed he’s more than likely not spraying they Don’t spray if they’re fixed but he might just be peeing around the house my solution to that is just make sure the litter boxes completely clean

1 Like

Stress. Where is he spraying and have you sued an enzyme cleaner? You may need to replace flooring and walls. It could be a struggle between him and another animal in the house. Or strays hanging out next to doors/windows. Personally we got a large cat kennel and put him in it at night. We no longer have to do that he’s an adult kitty and stopped on his own.

1 Like

Was he spraying before he was neutered? If yes then it’s likely it’s a learned behavior at this time that will not resolve.
You could investigate a medical reason such as a UTI.
It could be stress related and you can try pheromone diffusers or adding an additional litter box.

My females spray and than fixed. :woman_shrugging:

You waited to long to get him fixed likely it’s just something he likes to do now

1 Like

I bought a huge cat crate off of Amazon when my male cat started spraying and, for god knows what reason, peeing on shoes. He won’t mark in the crate and I let him out when I can supervise him. It also prevents him from constantly getting into food or the trash… he’s lucky he’s cute

We tried everything with ours but eventually he just became an outside cat because it’s disgusting.

2 Likes

I had this problem with male and female took them to get fixed and they were still doing it after being fixed but only for a short while, then it stopped completely. how long since they were fixed? If it’s only been a couple weeks or something give it time. If it’s been a long time then I am of no help because I didn’t know what I was going to do lol I’m sorry it’s happening it sucks so bad!

That’s why I don’t have on

1 Like

Marking territory, litter is too full, something smells off