Why do kids play with poop?

So my little one always tells me when she’s pooped and wants me to change her but for some reason today she :poop: and I knew I smelled it but when she came to me to change her she actually was playing with it and smiring it on the side of her leg and shirt… This is the first time she’s done this I told her no that was nasty and wrong not to do it anymore so I bathed her and scrubbed her fingers good… I’m wondering is she ready to be potty trained or has any other mother’s been thru this with their little one… not to mention my daughter is 2

11 Likes

I would say definitely start on potty training

Telling you she is dirty is a sign they are ready to start potty training. It’s also normal for them to play in it as gross as that is. :nauseated_face: Just keep telling her that it is nasty and start introducing her into potty training.

Both of my kids played in their own poop at some point :roll_eyes: its gross. But if shes telling you, I’d try. Wouldnt do any harm :slight_smile:

Time to start potty training. My daughter was trained at 2.

It’s normal, it’s actually a sign they are ready for potty training. My middle child did this several times. Because he mushed his :poop: all over himself, the floor, walls and toys, we nicknamed him “Poop-Casso” :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

If she acknowledges the fact that she’s done that then yes I think she’s ready to potty train. With my girls they did fine in pull-ups as long as I took them every 30 minutes. with my son it didn’t matter if I did he would still pee in them so I had to put him in underwear and let him pretty much run around half-naked for 3 days until he was trained. he did not like the wet feeling and we want the underwear off immediately but I made him sit in it for at least a few minutes so that he would understand. Your child could be either way so you just have to try and see what works for you

1 Like

My daughter painted her bedroom wall with poop. She was being very quiet around a year and change, went in her room, and yup. A poo-caso right on her wall.

1 Like

Telling you that she is dirty is a sign she needs to start training…

1 Like

Yeah she’s ready to start potty training

Ours does this. We started potty training yesterday. She at one point tried putting it on our yorkie :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

As soon as my kid was aware of when she would pee/poo, we started potty training.

If shes mature enough to know that shes pooped and able to voice it, its time to potty train.

My sister in law went through this with her son. He was not potty training but at night opened diaper n he played in it. Went on for weeks. Iremember at one point she literally put duck tape around him so he couldnt get diaper off. After few weeks it just stopped

All of my kids have been potty trained at 2. It can be done, and it’s not hard, just don’t expect it to be a 2 day deal. I have a small potty, I also have a step stool and a potty seat for the toilet so they can’t fall in. I make it fun for them, we sing, play, and I never force them to stay. I bring them to the washroom with me everytime I go, and I also show them me dumping their poop in the toilet (when possible) and I say “poop in the toilet”. It gets them familiar…when they use the toilet or potty, I praise them each and every time.

At that age, I’d say start. My 1 year old (18 months) is really bad about doing this but I think he is doing it just to do it cause he definitely isn’t ready to potty train, he doesnt even know anything about the potty.

My daughter is 17 months and does this and we’ve started training

1 Like

I bought pretty lace under wear. Told her not to dirty them

My son played in his diaper when he was 8 months because he figured out how to take his off :joy: in the middle of the night! :scream: needless to say I had one Hell of a mess to clean that morning.

1 Like

If she’s bug enough to tell you to change her she’s big enough to potty train. Old school was once they starting waking up in the morning with a dry diaper on Then they were ready to potty train because could hold their water . My first was potty trained by 13 months my second by 20 months
Each child is differant

1 Like

My 2 yr old does it. Ready to use the big potty!!! She even took her diaper off and poop in the floor. Good thing it was a hard terd! :joy::joy::joy::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Start potty training :slight_smile:

1 Like

My daughter did that for months… Every single day, sometimes 3-4 times a day… I had to get the onsies with the feet and the zipper, cut the feet out, and turn them backwards so she couldnt get to her poop… It was awful.

Some kids it just takes a little longer.

Kids sadly play in their poop

1 Like

If she’s old enough to tell you she needs changed she’s old enough to be potty trained.

1 Like

My daughter is 3 and fully.potty trained but yes tour daughter can be put on the potty. So she probably has a poop schedule, try and put her on the potty before she goes in the diaper. My daughter sat on her potty, everytime i went to thw bathroom. She got poop down first then the potty part. Make it fun, my daughter loves high 5’s so thats what she got everytime.

1 Like

Oh yeah little girls are waaayyy easier to train than boys i don’t know a little girl in my family that wasn’t completely potty trained by 12-15 months & off bottles too.

2 Likes

If she can tell you when she needs changed, she’s ready for potty training. My oldest was potty trained by 2.5

I feel like if you let your baby run around without pants or shorts covering her diaper that’s when it tends to happen.