Why does my urine smell like black tea?

Has anyone ever had their urine smell like black tea?

Been happening for the last 4-5 months

I am an uncontrolled diabetic, I drink over 2 gallons of water a day, take 3 different insulins, and 2 pills for it
I do have recurring yeast, urinary tract, bladder, and kidney infections

NOT looking for “call your doctor” or “go to the er” advice
I have a primary care doctor and have not been able to get a hold of her l (neither has my pharmacy) and I don’t have the option to just switch to a new doctor
I’m a sahm and we can’t afford for my husband to miss work right now

I’m just curious what would cause this since I never drink tea because I hate the taste and that’s the only explanation I can find on google

3 Likes

Do you eat anything like asparagus

Some foods may potentially do it too, I believe. It could also be UTI/kidney issues as well. However, I’m not a dr & know you aren’t looking for that. BUT… I hope you get the help you need. Best wishes!

Definitely sounds like a kidney issue, especially if you are consuming that much water. If you are drinking two gallons a day, your pee should be almost clear and odorless.

2 Likes

Asparagus will make it smell awful. But would get checked out, could be serious.

It could be a sign of a liver issue, or a medication that you’re taking. I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist for managing uncontrollable diabetes.

It’s probably sugar in your urine, from the diabetes, and it very well could be that mixed with Bacteria from a UTI. Sometimes when you have a uti for long enough you don’t even feel the pain anymore.

1 Like

Just a note. Being a sahm doesnt mean u cant make it to the doctor. You can take your child.

4 Likes

If your urine starts smelling sweet, (along with your breath, or just fruity breath) it is most likely a sign of hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). So you’re not getting enough insulin to keep your bloodsugar under control and your body is trying to get rid of the extra. This, if left untreated, can lead to DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) and can be fatal if not treated.

I’m sorry, diabetes isn’t something to play with. Take your kid with you to the doctor. You need to go, it’s really not optional especially since you know your diabetes is un controlled.

You could try talking to a dietician and adjusting your diet as to help with your out of control diabetes.

2 Likes

You should really see a ENDOCRINOLOGIST not a primary care Dr.

Why don’t you ask the doc? Common sense.

Sounds like a much needed visit to the doctor

1 Like

Sounds like u have an enfection

If you drink coffee it could be that. Mine smells like burnt coffee after I’ve had Starbucks lol

I’m sorry, you’re just looking for trouble if you want an answer on social media. You have a medical condition you need to go to the doctor. Take your kid with you. I’ve done it plenty of times. If something happens to you, do you think it’s more affordable to go to the doctor now or when something serious happens? Common sense, diabetes isn’t something to toy around with!!