Why does nail polish come off of kids nails so easily?

Does anyone else’s kids like having their nails/toes painted, but the polish is off within a day or two? My daughter loves having them painted, but even with a clear top coat, the polish comes off within a day.

2 Likes

nail tech here :blush: little ones naturally produce more oil and oily nail beds dont hold onto polish well. Try giving them a light buff and wipe with alcohol to remove natural oils before polishing :heart:

4 Likes

Most kids have naturally oily cuticles. Definitely prep the nails, filing and base coat. Then apply polish and top coat. Regular polish I get 5 days before my daughter’s peels up, if it’s gel polish she gets about 10 days before it starts peeling up, as long as I prep before hand. Hope this helps

When I paint my nails the polish is off within the day. When I get my nails done they are broke within the week

My daughter is the same way but she picks at her nails. I’ve tried gel with her and she had it picked off within a couple of days.

I do my daughters nails. We do the gel polish and it always last a long time. A week or two. I’ve had them last a month!

They have a higher oil secretion in their nails, you can use a file to give a base for it to stick to longer. Or (depending on age and if nails go in her mouth still) you can use a dehydrator on her nails and that’ll help a lot.

Nail polish and gel nails come off the same day I do my nails. Doesn’t matter how I prep my nails with dehydrator/primer or use base coats etc they will always come off.

The only thing that will stick and last on my nails is acrylic.