Would it be wrong if we didn't change our baby name?

I need help ladies!!! I’m 6 months pregnant with a little boy……at the beginning of my pregnancy before we knew if it was a boy or girl we came up with a few names for either a boy or girl. Well fast forward to last month my boyfriend’s cousin had a little boy. They named him Dawson…the top name we wanted to use for a boy!!! They didn’t know that because we never ever see them or talk to them, I’ve actually never even met them. We seen it on Facebook. Now the problem is….i still want to use the name because I love it!! And we’ve tried to come up with another name and nothing stands out like that one to us! Would that be too weird to still use it, or rude??

11 Likes

Use the name…especially since you are not around them. God bless your little family

6 Likes

I mean if you haven’t met them, don’t talk to them, and never see them then it’s fair game. I would use it :blue_heart:

2 Likes

My cousin and I have the same first name and last name lol

I don’t see it as being a problem, we have 3 Ryan’s, 2 Matthews and 2 Melissa’s - Go for it

If that is your baby’s name, that’s his name!

Might be a little confusing for great grandma haha but aw well. If you never see them then who cares!

1 Like

As a mom of Dawson I say go for it, it’s a beautiful name.

1 Like

If you haven’t met them and don’t really have much of a relationship with them, I’d say go for it

3 Likes

People in families can have more than one person with the same name.
It’s only weird if you make it weird or allow other people to.

If that’s the name you were set on and had picked out, than I would still use it. But I don’t typically let what others think or say sway my opinion or what I’m going to do.

9 Likes

My aunt and sister are named Nancy and 2 cousins name Melissa

My brother and my cousin both have ava… my cousin and I have jack and jax… there’s alot of jacks Jake’s and James in our family :laughing:

I have a cousin named Shelby. :rofl::rofl:

They might think you copied them

There’s like 8 Phillips in my family.

It’s not like you see them every day/week or the kids are going to grow up together.Keep the name

Meet the baby, then decide

I wouldn’t worry about it if you’re not really close and you don’t attend family functions together. Name your baby Dawson. If they get mad they can stay mad.

I would still use the name.

2 Likes

No it would not be wrong. Keep your babies name

1 Like

This is normal for my Italian family. We all have the same names.

4 Likes

My brother passed away, his name was Sebastien. I fell pregnant and chose the name Sebastien prior, family friends who were very close to my brother, fell pregnant 4 months later and named their son Sebastien. It’s beautiful that we both wanted to honour him but we live far away so it isn’t confusing or anything to us. We just both have Sebastien’s and love it

3 Likes

Keep the name of you like it. It’s a cousin not a sibling and you say it’s your boyfriend’s cousin. If things don’t work out with you and your boyfriend you will regret not naming your child the name you wanted. Will they have the same first and last name? When I was in grade school we had 3 Michele’s in our class only two spelled it Michelle. A lot of people share the same first name. Go with what you love.

I have a cousin name Heather and on my dads side my son and a little cousin have same name Roman. My sister and a cousin on my dad’s side have the same name Nicole…i would def keep the name since y’all love it…

Do what you want, maybe you could spell it different, or come up with a slight variation. Either way your child, your choice, nobody else’s business…do you really think that was a coincidence…:thinking:

We have like 6 Michael’s…use it…name your child as u wish.

I don’t agree with the same name being used in the same family. Causes too much confusion. Just my opinion. Do you though.

I don’t see why you should have to change it. My aunt and I both were pregnant at the same time and ended up both naming our boys Robert. She had her Robert first and we decided to keep it. The world moved on. No one was upset by it, because we just happened to pick the same name.

4 Likes

Why worry about people you’ve never even met?

2 Likes

You said you never see them so does it matter . Name your kid whichever name you like .

1 Like

If you’ve never met them it shouldn’t matter what they named their baby

1 Like

Just delete them from Facebook. Use the name. Problem solved.

I love the name. Go for it.

Do it! My best friend used my best name for her daughter, born two months before mine, but I still used it. Her family live in another state and we never cross paths, so it didn’t matter to her or to me.

My son is name Dawson Zane

Use that name don’t worry about it he’s your boy :100::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart::purple_heart:

We had this with a friend who called her little girl poppy two months before our poppy was born, when I messaged her on our LG arrival and shared name and photos her response when I mentioned hope it hadn’t bothered her they had the same name was that there is always room for more beautiful poppies in the world

My brother and my cousin girls are both named with the same first and last name. However it wasn’t known at the time.

My cousin and I named our daughters the same. No biggie

Just use it, if you never met them what’s the big deal?

1 Like

I have cousins that named their daughters the same. About 10 yrs apart. But they spelt them different. I know the first cousin was a little agitated with them doing so but their not super close either.
Do what u feel is best. It’s just a name
I

Would you be upset if your kid was named first and then she did it?
If no, then have it!!
If yes, then you need to make a change

I wanted to name my daughter Mary but my sister in law had her daughter first.
We didn’t name her Mary because I would have been mad it it was the other way around. I am happy with our choice

1 Like

And why would we be worried? Name him what you want.

I absolutely adore the name, Sebastian. a uncle of mine had his son first and they picked Sebastian as well. I was bummed because they knew I wanted the name. I didn’t want it to seem awkward so I changed my babies name and now myself and Baby (now 22) are forever Bummed because we’re both are still absolutely in love with the name Sebastian! At his age, he jokingly asked if we can still change it back:sob::woman_facepalming:

My cousin has my name I hate it

It’s only rude if you make it seem rude. Simply name him and when someone says well they named their son that too you just address it positively. Awe that’s awesome it’s such a great name……

There are millions of people with the same name I don’t get the desire to be so different and unique just to make sure you stand out or not have the same name as a family member

7 Likes

Use the name you had picked

Use the name absolutely. Like you say… you don’t see them so it’s not confusing x

Why should you change what you love? If that’s the name you want then keep it.

My named my son after my grandpa 6 years later my uncle named his son after his dad my grandpa so we have two with the same name it does get confusing at times. My son’s last name is not the same as my cousins so I guess it’s the same. Maybe you will have a different nickname for your son

Use it . In my family we have two Ashley’s and two Michelle’s. Only difference with the ones in our family is each one of us has a different spelling in our names.

Just me but I’d make it a middle name just my opinion

I dont get it? Why would you change the name, you clearly said you don’t talk to these people, you never even met them

1 Like

I would name your baby whatever name you want.

Use the name you want, and if family has a problem with it oh well, if the parents of the cousin complain and demand you change your child’s name.

say your welcome to change your child’s name, but we’ve had this name picked out for many months. So we are going to use it.

I would do it, you don’t even really associate with them. One of my ex coworkers (she ended up being a decently close friend) would always kind of copy what I’d do, if I got a piercing she’d get the same one, if I dyed my hair a color she did the same color.
Well we even ended up pregnant at the same time just weeks apart and she ended up having a boy and I had a girl.
I named my girl Novalee.
She got pregnant again the next year.
Her daughters middle name ended up being Nova. It’s whatever lol :laughing: she said it had nothing to do with my daughter that she had already picked it out but :woman_shrugging:t2: it’s just a name. If she’s bothered by it then that’s on her. Let her think what she wants and don’t beat yourself up about it. Personally, in my situation it doesn’t affect me in any way that my friend did that and doesn’t upset me or anything. And technically YOU were the one who thought of it first. But really it doesn’t matter. You like the name and that’s what matters. :heart:

Choose another name, that one reminds me of a comedian :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

It’s weird. Come up with something else or use it as a middle name. I have two cousins with the same name as me. I’ve always hated it.

id use it. you don’t even know them.

I never understood “stealing names” as if only 1 child can have a name. Use the name.

No. It’s a name. I know someone who has a few Anthony’s in their family. And two are cousins.

Why do you care? No one has a copyright on names. It’s a beautiful name, use it!

Go ahead and name your child what you want. I have the same first name as my Mom’s cousins daughter (2 years older than me) and we named our daughter the same name as my cousin’s daughter. The name is a family name for me (the other side of the family as my cousin).

Use it anyways. Lots of people have the same name

Why are you worrying about people you hardly know?

Your “boyfriend’s cousin”?? Oh for heaven’s sake—it’s not like it’s your own brother or sister’s child in question—That’s pretty far removed to even THINK about NOT having the name YOU want–Who even knows what the future may hold? ALL those people may wind up being just a long-ago memory—life throws a lot of curves. NAME that baby and don’t give it a second thought. Just tell the cousin about the funny coincidence and laugh about it.

Use the name.

When I was a teenager - nowhere near baby having age - I liked this one name. My uncle and his 2nd wife had a daughter, my cousin (significantly younger, almost 20 years younger than I am) and they named her the name I liked. I ended up having two daughters, named them what I named them, had my son, had another daughter. I ended up naming my youngest daughter this name that I had liked since I was a teenager. I’m not extremely close with my cousin, mostly because of the age difference and we don’t see them much, except at holidays and family gatherings. The two names are spelled differently.

A lot of families even share names. My SILs family, all of the males in her family have the same middle name, so all 3 of my nephews share a middle name. It’s been that way for generations.

I will never understand how this is a problem. Who cares if someone you know named their kid the same name? Why is it bad? It makes zero sense to me how this is a thing.
Name your kid what you want and if someone has a problem with it, fuck em they’re ridiculous.