Would you go to a baby shower if you got invited only one week in advance?

Would you go if you just got invited 1 week ahead of the baby shower ? We are not that close and their registry gift are so expensive I feel like they should have thought about that and gave me enough time to come up with the money to get them something off their list. This is the first time I ever been invited to a baby shower so I wonder if that’s too close and inconsiderate of them?

11 Likes

Diapers and common essentials like bibs, wipes ect are always great! And you could get a book in place of a card. You don’t have the follow the registry. If I was available, yea I would go

Can always bring diapers and wipes. Those are always needed. That is if you do decide to go

Diapers and wipes are always nice. Also I liked getting things not on my registry. I only put things on there as an idea so I’m still surprised. Do whatever you feel. Crazy that they waited until a week before. Maybe it was a second choice guest list they invited after first choice guests rsvp’d :joy:

You need to get over it. If you want to show support, go. It speaks pretty loudly if you don’t go.

I’d go, but you don’t have to buy off their registry. Buy what you can afford.

1 Like

Give a gift card for what you can afford to where they are registered

go and dont get off the list. the list isn REQUIRED for guests to get. id just get a pack of diapers and wipes and call it a day. tbh :woman_shrugging:t2: cause thats the best gift for a new mom/baby

Maybe they planned party later? Also you don’t have to get anything on their registry. Do what you can afford. It’s the thought that counts :purple_heart:

Buy a nice soft blanket(if you know the gender get the color) for the baby and a gift card. Perfect gift. Does not have to be extravagant. I’m sure they will love anything you give.

My fav thing is getting something not on the registry
.I’m weird tho

7 Likes

If you want to go then go. If you don’t then don’t. No sense making an issue when there probs isn’t one.

1 Like

i have never picked out anything on the registry when i get invited to baby showers lol and if it’s a last minute invite i usually get diapers and wipes ! u can never go wrong with that one !

Maybe all the invites were sent out late. It shouldn’t matter, just be happy you were included. If you’re free, go. If you have plans, don’t go. Simple.

1 Like

Pick something that is on the registry and shop around to find something similar at a better price or just get a card and a voucher to somewhere they can relax after baby is born there last min invite is there problem not yours

Go but you don’t have to purchase an item off their registry. Get them what ever you want or a gift card for your amount available and they can do as they please with it.

1 Like

This would be the first invitation to a baby shower… please go
It can be so fun! There’s usually games, refreshments/snacks/ and cake…. And meeting new people.
Most of the baby showers we’ve had were for friends and family… so enjoy it!
Be kind and gracious you were invited :blush:

Gifts do not have to be purchased from the Registry.

Depends on how important that person is too you,if close friends or a family member would go otherwise I wouldn’t worry & only go if wanted.At least you got invited,soo you must realize you mean something to them.jmo.

1 Like

If you feel some kind of way, just mail a card and skip the shower. It’s fine.

5 Likes

Wow. Not close. Don’t go make an excuse you already had plans send her a small gift card

Buy diapers , they are always needed

2 Likes

Do whatever you feel like doing. Gift whatever you want to gift. It doesn’t have to be on the registry. Baby showers are meant to help support the parents. It’s not a school supply list. :joy:

18 Likes

Diapers, bibs, bottles, as someone else mentioned bigger then newborn

I didn’t make a registry for any of my kids I was happy with what ever was given I even told people just to come not to worry about gifts it’s about celebrating and spending time together for me me and my husband always made sure we got the big items and little things were only left I think that’s is only fair if anyone wants wanted to buy a gift

How were you invited?

Did you receive the invitation in the mail only a week in advance? Did she invite you in person?

How close are you to this person? Like to do you talk to them frequently or just occasionally?

And you don’t have to buy off the registry. You can literally buy diapers, wipes, bath stuff, etc.

2 Likes

Take a box of diapers and/or wipes. A new Mom can never have too many! I understand about the short notice, sorry that happened,

7 Likes

Maybe look at her list and find something similar to what she has just at a better price point. It is a bit last minute but that could be to no fault of her own.

1 Like

No. You were never going to be invited in the first place. You are a back up plan.

1 Like

Not someone bowed out so you were invited

Most people when that happens do it so they can try scoring the extra things and the expensive things from their list. There are two kids in my son’s 4th grade class every yr they have a bday party…one is 13 days before Xmas and one is 17 days after and they always wait until last minute to do party invites and have these crazy lists. I think it’s Xmas lists honestly. One before so people can take stuff off the list and the other to mark things off the list he didn’t get. It’s always inconvenient and impossible and expensive especially when you are trying to do Christmas for your own family I wouldn’t worry about it or gifting anything crazy. I didn’t have a baby shower, but said if anybody wanted to do anything, wipes and gift cards for diapers because who knew how fast he would grow. And that was the greatest thing ever!! And three people chipped in to buy a crib and changing table and the fourth hauled it. That was over the top for me and I was a young mom and had nothing but would never think to ask anyone for anything.

Just don’t go, and you are not obligated to gift anything

3 Likes

A week? No!
Most new moms don’t even know ow what they need anyway. I get what I know is needed and not a so called trend item.

Maybe there’s a reason it’s short notice. Maybe the baby is coming sooner than expected. It’s not about the money spent on a gift it’s the fact that you showed up and supported her. Bring diapers and wipes. Any size diapers cuz they grow quick. Burp clothes, bath wash lotion anything like that. Saves on new parents

2 Likes

You don’t have to buy off the list! Go get a special outfit and some one piece sleepers and socks. I guarantee that if you buy 3 months size and not new born it will be used everyone gets newborn stuff and babies aren’t in it long at all. I always buy 3 month or 3-6 months size. Think about what the weather will be in 3-6 months and buy for whatever season it will be.

28 Likes

Honestly I never buy from the registry. I buy a box of diapers, a card, and a gift card to a restaurant for the parents to use when they come home from the hospital. I remember coming home after each of mine and not wanting to cook. Every person loved it when I did this. Yes, it’s about the baby, but no one ever considers how overwhelming coming home can be especially if they are first time parents.

35 Likes

I used to never buy off the registry. I had a baby recently after a decade & couldn’t understand why ppl just didn’t buy from the registry :woman_facepalming:t4: especially since we’ve moved out of state. I can’t imagine there isn’t one item under $30-$50. Ppl just wanna buy what they want I guess. Anyway a gift card from registry site or diapers is always appreciated & needed. I’ll stick to what ppl request in the future though. :grimacing: Oh if you were invited I wouldn’t harp on the “late” invite.

1 Like

I would probably remember when the  shower was then, I can’t stand getting invited to something five or six months in advance, I would forget by then!!
I usually never get nothing off the registry , I like buying diapers and wipes!!

No I would not. I don’t do last minute invites to anything! However you could still buy a gift within your budget…diapers are ALWAYS useful.

Go you don’t know if it got caught in the mail they didn’t have your address you got to remember it wasn’t the girl who was pregnant it was probably family member or friends making up the list give her a break go have fun sure the love

1 Like

Y’all not that close and it’s only 1 week in advance. Buy a case of pampers and wipes and call it a day. :woman_shrugging:t4: Trust me, as a mother of 4, I was Thankful for ALL of my gifts but the pampers and wipes were a God send.

Yes I would go . You don’t have to shop off the registry .

It is a lil unthoughtful but pregnancy brain is real thing. Show up if u want, bring a card and a $15-$20 gift card for walmart or target OR some plain white onesies or diapers or wipes or something useful like bibs and baby spoons etc

1 Like

I usually don’t buy off the registry regardless of how far in advance unless it’s cheaper options such as clothing, bottles etc.
My go to is diapers and wipes. You can never have enough and a lot of stores will allow you to exchange for a different size if the box is unopened. My neighbor isn’t having a baby shower but she is expecting twins very soon and although we aren’t super close I am planning to drop off some diapers and wipes before they get here just as a nice gesture. It’s entirely up to you if you want to go and it’s also entirely up to you if you bring a gift. But if you’re able, then I say go and just get whatever you can afford. Even a $10 fast food or Walmart gift card would probably be very much appreciated.

I usually just apologize and say sorry I can’t get off work in that such short notice. Buy a couple onesies and some diapers and call it good

Fill a basket with baby lotion,powder,crib toy wipes,etc

There is no rule
That you have to buy from a regersty
Just buy a pastal coloured jump suit or a bunny rug
And If you don’t feel comfortable in going
Just politly decline the invitation

Who cares? Not that serious.

2 Likes

Sometimes schedules change so fast nothing is set in stone until a week before. Also if you invite people too far out they forget, don’t respond, etc.

Second, the point is to celebrate the impending birth, it shouldn’t be a money grab. Often several people will go in together on one big gift so no one has to contribute too much.

Practical things that aren’t overly expensive will also get the most use: onesies in larger sizes, diapers, wipes. A pack of cloth diapers is super useful for everything: as burp pads, to clean up of everything as babies are messy, as extra little towels or padding for whatever, and even as diapers when you run out of disposables and have to run to the store in the middle of the night!

You can always get a gift certificate for whatever you want to spend for the place where they have the registry so it can help them towards getting that expensive item.

Go, have fun, eat cake, don’t worry.

I wouldn’t care tbh. :woman_shrugging:t2:you can always do a gift card for the diaper fund.

You were a last minute invite. They didn’t think of you when they sent out the invitations but invited you last minute out of pity.

1 Like

Don’t over think it. If you want to go, then go and don’t buy off registry. If you don’t want to go, don’t go

In my experience the more expensive the registry the more greedy the person…
The last baby shower I went to was for someone I would consider a best friend, I mean we hung out and talked over the phone multiple times a week, I actually helped organize the shower. She had a lot of big ticket items on her registry and one being a minnie mouse car seat/ stroller combo and a matching pack’n’play bassinet combo, my husband and I bought her both of them as well as smaller things we found while out and about like layette sets and such
Shower day comes everyone oohs and aws over all her gifts, I don’t even receive a thank you…
After the shower it’s complete radio silence from her
Weeks later some lady (one of her coworkers) messages me on Facebook inviting me to a baby shower for her because my “friend” has been depressed at work because none of her friends or family have thrown her one yet, even includes a link for a brand new registry with even more expensive versions on it of shit she’s already received
I reply with a butt load of photos from the shower she never got and tell her she’s scamming all of them
Haven’t talked to or seen her or her husband since the shower I helped throw

If you invite people too early, they will forget. Take something you can afford and have a good time

Diapers and wipes are very appreciated!!! Thats what i always buy for baby showers. As a mom of 8 believe me… Buy a bigger size like a size 2 and wipes

I’ve always made baskets of goodies like the travel size shampoos with a blanket and towel, a pack of socks and mittens, an outfit or two and a gift card :woman_shrugging:t4: i don’t think I’ve ever bought a gift from a registry

If I could go , I’d go . I sometimes use the registry and sometimes not . I shop at TJmaxx and home goods etc . I also love to give books for baby . I do what I want .

Go, give a monetary gift. Also a personal keepsake gift always works.

I never buy off registrys tbh! I go out and buy what I like for the baby and also what I can afford! But I understand the frustration of such a short notice.

Go,buy whatever you choose within your own budget and enjoy the shower.

If you want to go, go. Don’t worry about when the invite came. And grab some diapers , wipes and a card

2 Likes

if I wasn’t that close to the mother to be, No I wouldn’t go, but when the baby is born I just might give a gift of what I would want to give, such as a cute little outfit, But again, no I wouldn’t go

That is your choice, pick up a gift card visa, Walmart, targets for 25.00, if u can or wait to see what she got & may need no need to stress over it

You don’t have to buy off the registry. I would look at it to see the theme and get a idea of what they want. For sure I would go. If you get diapers get different sizes. Don’t always buy new born

You don’t have to go. You don’t have to get something on her list. I’ve had 3 babies, and all but one outgrew the tiny clothes really fast. Clothing sized 12 months is great. Diapers, any size. Wipes (flushable).

Thank u, I never do a register u can used anything so I pick up what I can afford any thing will be appreciated

If you have to question it don’t go. Plus it’s not mandatory to buy from their registry. I’m sure they’ll appreciate whatever you get them if you choose to go.

You don’t have to shop off the list. They should be grateful for anything & for showing up.

1 week notice isn’t that bad. Some people are bad at planning. You don’t have to buy off the registry or at the store the registry is at. With that said don’t buy something that’s on the list but a different kind. There may be a reason she put that on the list. I like to gift diapers (not newborn or size 1. They don’t wear them long. I usually give size 3. It’s the size my kids seemed to wear the longest) & wipes.