Advice on going through labor and delivery alone?

Good luck with everything

text anytime I live in Pittsburgh pa.

Not the same situation, I just barely made it to the hospital myself and had her before my husband arrived but I did it alone and the Dr. (Who wasn’t even my Dr) and the nurses were awesome. I was not loving giving birth natural and with no one there but she was not waiting and I barely made it from ambulance to room and she was coming. I didn’t get into the bed yet but they were great and helped me through it. Most nurses in labor and delivery are good or good at faking it. I hope everything goes ok for u

See if you can afford a doula. They help with your wishes and make sure you’re not alone.

I did it alone with my first. It really wasnt that bad.

Ask a trusted friend to go with you

1 Like

My kids have the same dad but their dad left me and didn’t come to my second son’s birth and my mom watched my oldest, so I did it alone. It was a little sad but my family came to visit once my oldest woke up in the morning. My dad offered to be there but I didn’t think it was fair to my mom. I bonded with him much quicker this way though! I held him for thirteen hours straight.

I left my baby’s dad when I was pregnant (long complicated story)
But I then decided I wanted to give birth alone, my mum was there when I was in early stages of labour but went home to get some sleep etc. And my little girl must have known what I wanted as she arrived a few minutes before my mum came back to the hospital.
My midwifes and nurses were lovely x

I did my second all by myself (dad was on his way), I’m bummed I did it alone, because I wanted it to be like I had with my first, but at the same time I feel really strong and grateful that I did it with no one around… she came out so fast though no one had time to get to the hospital

You can do this and once baby is here then the ones watching the older kids can come spend time with you

The first birth I attended was a mother alone. Yes, the nurses are there for you and it was beautiful, to watch. The mom was a strong single mom who wanted to deliver alone. She was well taken care of :slightly_smiling_face::heart:

1 Like

You can get a doula or if you are close with your friends ask if they mind being your support.

Can a friend watch the kids and family come instead I personally couldn’t do it alone

Can your family or parents who are caring for your older kids take turns to come help you and be with your kids?

Stopping having Babies!!

4 Likes

I did it alone! Its possible. The nurses and doctors will be very supportive. Headphones and music to make it through the contractions. It is a different experiance but it can be more peaceful. If you need a buddy and are in kissimmee by chance I dont mind being there for you.

3 Likes

Oh my I’m 32 weeks as well I’d be so heartbroken and scared. Your so strong and brave. Sending good vibes to you. And congratulations

You got this momma! Nurses are there for you the whole way.

2 Likes

I thought it was easier without extra people :woman_shrugging:

I’ve never been alone, and I’ve only had one child, and I think that you are so incredibly brave. You know what is coming and you’re preparing yourself mentally, which will help you get through it. I would take headphones and your favorite music, something with your favorite scent on it, ie lavender, Jasmine, etc, and believe in yourself! You can do this momma!!!

U will do fine, u will have nurses there helping u through.

Relax and enjoy the journey it’s when you get to meet bubs and you will get all the support you need from staff :grin::grin::grin::grin::heart::vulcan_salute:

Forgot to mention l had two out of seven by myself l prefer it so l can enjoy it and relax doing it​:grin::grin::grin::grin:

Have you considered a doula ?

Had my last alone. Nurses and docs were great. Very supportive. Dad was not in the pic and didn’t want friends there and no family I would want there. Went fine and don’t regret it in the least.

Do you have Lamaze coach

I went threw the pregnancy and delivery by my self. Just me.

My husband was in the room but I told him there was no reason to hover over me cuz it wouldn’t help the pain so I made him get comfortable across the room on the couch. He pretty much just said I’m sorry every couple of contractions from the couch lol even brought in a playstation. I did the work alone but was glad to have the company Cuz the nurses were not in the room much. I couldn’t have done it without that presence

1 Like

I had my mom there but not my child’s father and it was mentally tough. However, I had some great nurses whi had my back through the entire process. Dfi what’s best for you and your littles. Goodluck, it well be difficult but you got this

I’ve never done it completely alone but with my first the first 4 hours of labor I was and the nurses were so sweet and supportive and I’m sure they will be with you. Just be honest about your situation and that you are a little worried about being alone and I am sure they will put in some extra effort to be there for you. Best of luck♥️

1 Like

I would hire a doula or someone to be there just in case

1 Like

The dr and nurses will be supporting you it will be ok and you can be lut to sleep if you want to just knowing your kids are safe with grandma and grand pa makes it easier good luck and congratulations

I went thru it semi-alone. My best friend was with me and so was my 3year old son so she helped w him more than anything (my husband was at OSUT)
I thought I would be so upset about being alone but honestly it was great, more time bonding with my baby and more time to rest. It was peaceful and memorable.
That time is always such a whirlwind of things happening. My memories are honestly better without a bunch of extra distractions from people being there.

I had my aunty come in with me as I was alone… my mum looked after my little girl. I look back now and even though it was lovely, I wish I had my mum there to experience with me. Good luck

Look into a doula!! Full labor support for you!!

1 Like

Ummm, I went through 2 of my 3 labor and deliveries alone. No harm done here? It was customary in many cultures for a woman to go off on her own, squat by a tree, or in a meadow by a stream and deliver her children. Women are strong and trust me there are so many nurses and doctors and administrative workers, lactation consultants, cafeteria workers, CNA’s, housekeeping staff in and out of your room, you are NEVER alone while laboring and delivering!?!? No worries there .

2 Likes

Having a baby without your husband or family in the room - no problem, but the emotional stress of getting divorced at this time is devastating. Hope you’re feeling strong about that.

1 Like

If you happen to be near Farmington Michigan I would be there for you. Everyone deserves somebody to support them in such a life changing time.

5 Likes

I can’t say I didn’t have support because I did but I had an emergency c-section during preterm labour and I was so scared my whole body wouldn’t stop shaking and the nurses were extremely comforting and supportive, definitely helped the situation

2 Likes

You can do it and you will be fine

I had a C-section alone. It was pretty scary. My daughter was born not breathing and had to be recessitated

If you don’t have another family member you like, or a close friend, but perhaps there’s someone at work or a mom from your kid’s school that you’ve connected with? I know it seems weird to ask someone you’re not close with, but moms will totally step up for other moms. You’d be really surprised at what people will do for you when things get really tough. Maybe an old friend you haven’t spoken to in a long time? If you’re feeling brave, just throw it up on Facebook and see if anyone you know is prepared to step up for you. Can you afford a doula or a midwife or a birthing coach to accompany you? If not, the nurses will take care of you. Tell them what happened. But it’s nice to have someone else who is just there for you.

2 Likes

I had mine back when there was only the dr and nurses i was fine the nurses really help you

1 Like

I am so sorry you have to go through this all by yourself. So sorry I reach out to a friend you know maybe

I think they should be supportive. And they’ll ask you if you want to have a private birth so in case he does show up he won’t be able to come in. You can do this and congrats!

I gave birth while getting an epidural so I was alone in the room. I gave birth to a beautiful stillborn baby girl and my nurse held on to me like she was my life partner, even though I only met her at the beginning of her shift. I’m sorry you are going through this and I hope you have great nurses. They really are angels.

2 Likes

I am sorry you should not have to go through it alone. If I was close to you I would be your support. I know it would be strange but you wouldnt be alone. Sorry. You got this

Extra people make it more stressful in my opinion. :woman_shrugging:t3: Do what makes you happy, mama!!

Well when I had my first alone back then no one but dad was allowed but father. My OB had delivered me.so that was easy my family mom dad sister brother were in family rm. But it was ok so you did pregnancy alone I have faith you’ll do fine .I just last night and sit through the birth of my grandson via message .s from my son .it was great to see him .do you have a close friend maybe let me see your posts when the bundle is here take care and praying for you

God gave YOU this baby. YOU got this mama!!! And yes the nurses will be amazing! ((((((Hugs))))))) chin up!

The doctors and nurses will be great. Trust in yourself and in God and akk this will not hurt you.

As a single Mom, I had a coach, but ultimately you will bring new life into this world and you don’t need a crowd. The doctor, nurse and my coach were with me and they were great!

Nurses will be supportive. I know its scary to be alone. But you won’t be

I did it solo. I had a c section and it was extremely emotional. The dr and nurses were extremely amazing support and helpful. I lived out of state where my family and support system is. Hardest thing ever! In the end it was the best choice at the time. Best of luck and wishes! :green_heart:

I have several children i went through 1 by myself and it was the calmest one. You’ll be fine, nurses will be amazing!! Goodluck

Ur strong momma and the nurses are supportive.

So my husband was with me but i had this amazing nurse who stayed by my side for 12 hours and even stayed after she clocked out to be with me thru my delivery with my youngest of eight but i was so scared bc i had some issues she was amazing

The nurses are there to be your family when you are alone. You’ll do great.

I delivered alone, I felt more comfortable delivering alone since I spent my whole pregnancy alone, the doctors and nurses will be your greatest support, I was very emotional because I was alone but also because of all the hormones and this being my first time also. I do not regret my choice in flying solo it made it that much more of an intimate and special of an experience wouldn’t change it if I could.

I went through my first pregnancy, labour and delivery alone. I’m sorry you have to do the same😔

I did it alone and there was a shift change in nurses. My nurse actually stayed on with me to help me through delivery. They will support you to the enth degree. Just tell them your story and your team will be your team. Hang in there and stay strong.

Where are you located? Real question - could find some resources to support you :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Back not so long ago, everyone did delivery alone. Nobody was allowed in. It turned out ok.

You’re strong you can do it. Unfortunate I did it with all 4 of my children their dad was in the military

Mom of 3 here. If you were anywhere local Id support you and be there for you

You will be fine and strong I did it with my daughter everything fall into place place

You will definitely find out how very strong you are and also you are not alone. Angels watch over you everyday. Good luck lady you can do this. Nurses know alot. Great support there. God Bless your journey

In my experience, the nurses in the delivery ward are incredibly supportive. I think it would be more relaxing. When I had my first one I actually kicked everyone out.

The nurses will be very supportive and so will the baby Dr.

You’ll be fine I went through it on my own nurses will be very supportive and helpful x

You can have anybody in there you want. I did it alone and i was fine you are more concerned with birthing.

I’m sorry maybe I’m stuck on stupid he is the father of this child but doesnt want to be there?? Wtf kinda dad is that. It’s about the baby and no body else. You’ll do great but jesus christ

5 Likes

God is there for you

I went through my 3rd pregnancy all by myself my parents came to my house when it was time. my dad drove me and made sure I got in the door and he left to change out my mom who was with my other two kiddos. By the time she made it to the hospital I was already pushing my lil girl out and it was too late for her to come in. The nurses will be completely there for you. I almost broke my nurses arm from the extreme back labor due to my lil being turned the wrong way. After delivering my lil, she was laughing about it and I told her I was sorry. But long story short, they will help you and be an amazing support team throughout the whole process!!!

My 4th child out of 8 I birthed alone…he was my quickest and easiest birth…the staff were amazing

1 Like

I went through my labor alone and honestly wish I did it 11 years ago when I had my first. It was so peaceful and calming . There was no one there to tell me to breathe or yelling at me to push . No one trying to touch me or badger me with “ encouraging” words . I was so relaxed this time around.

I had a doula and a friend there. I did have a waterbirth (which was fantastic), and when I went home, hours after giving birth, my friend stayed with me for two days to help. That was the best gift anyone could have given me. No family was there, and my son’s dad wasn’t involved in the pregnancy, so I didn’t want him involved in the birth. Ask a friend :relaxed:

Yes they should be supportive. If not then ask for another nurse.

This is just me but I couldn’t imagine doing it alone. I would look into having a doula there. They are meant to help you have the birth you want and support you in anyway necessary to achieve that goal. If it’s silence that’s what they will go for or any other way. But having someone there to advocate for you when you may not be able to reliably speak up for your self is the best comfort when in labor.

1 Like

I am actually more concerned about once you go home than you being alone in the hospital—which will be like being alone in Grand Central Station. I hope your parents can stay and help you for a while. I’ve had a newborn and school aged children with a spouse who traveled for work. You have to keep school hours whether the baby was up all night or slept, and it’s HARD.

Girl, I went through this same scenario…the dad wasn’t supportive during the pregnancy and I did the whole thing alone…it was the scariest experience of my life, but also the most rewarding. It showed me just how strong and independent I am and that I don’t need a man to make life better. You got this! :heart:

I invited my bestest of friends… one was able to show up and it was fabulous!! I chose not to have my husband there ( divorcing) and it was the best thing I could have done for me and the baby. No stress, lots of laughs :slight_smile:

I had my first 2 with their dad there, for our third child we had separated before I found I was pregnant and he didn’t want to be there (had a new GF so ignored the pregnancy) - honestly it was one of my saddest moments and I still struggle with his lack of interest in our now 5 month old… her siblings have the ‘daddy first hold’ picture, he cut their cords but little miss doesn’t have that and even though I had family there and amazing support from the nurses, just wasn’t the same

I personally would at least have someone there, your best friend, you mom, your sister… someone to share it with. I wouldn’t in a 100 years change my experience of doing it with my husband. No matter what he is the father of your child, you’ll always be connected in some way or another. At least let him help and take the other two kids for you so you can have family there… he helped put the baby in you let him help get it out of you haha :kissing_heart: good luck girl! And congrats on the baby.

1 Like

What a jerk he is for doing that even if you are divorcing it’s still his child…smh. Just wondering does this hospital allow the children to be present at the birth? Anyway, this is something a lot of women go through you are not alone. With all you have going on it’s going to be tough for you for that I am sorry. Just be encouraged and think only about the beautiful life you are bringing into the world. Don’t be stressed over whose missing. That baby will need to feel your love and comfort cause believe it or not they know when we are not at peace. Love on that baby and make sure you make him pay financially if nothing else. He doesn’t want to be there fine but he will support them willingly or not. That’s the attitude I had when my asshole husband left. Life will go on

I did it too on my own. Nurses were great.

Oh my goodness sweetheart, bless you. When my first baby was born, (1969) fathers’ or any other person non medical were allowed in, so I was left on my own in the delivery room and they’d pop their head in now and again to check, but I felt safe and happy (don’t know why, it wasn’t a walk in the park)! Anyway, my 2nd babe was born at home. Wonderful experience. Daughter appeared in the bedroom just as my son was born.
What I’m saying is, is there any way you could apply for a home birth then everyone that matters could be there. I was lucky as both my children were early and delivered quickly. One funny experience was when Sister walked in wearing a big waterproof apron and wellies. I’ll leave it to your imagination. My heart goes out to you. God bless sweetheart…:revolving_hearts::+1:

I’m sure it’ll be fine, if you’re worried can you invite a close friend or have a doula?
Depending where your located your nurse could have more than one patient up until the end of your delivery so if you think you might need some labour support and not just for the delivery finding someone outside of a family member/partner may be beneficial.

I’ve had both my kids without their father there due to him working out of the country and my babes came early but I had a good friend as his fill in …i found with my 1st the nurse was amazing , the 2nd one the nurse was well less than involved …but at least have one person friend or family with you

You need a doula! No woman should have to labor alone! :heart::heart:

It’s going to be tough but just take advantage of the nursery get rest and enjoy the bond with just u and the baby. Pack plenty of snacks u like

1 Like

I went through my 3rd by myself as well. No one with me. The nurses and staff were super nice and supportive. A big help.

2 Likes

You dont have a friend or a sister??

2 Likes

I think that preparing yourself is a great idea! However dont stress yourself or baby out figuring out how it all will go…any and all labor and delivery nurse I have ever come in contact with is nothing short of a superhero! They will be right there giving the emotional and medical support you and your little boy need!! If you’re in search of support as you deliver I bet if you message on here ther will be plenty of us there to extend our support, mama to mama!

Hello! Do you have a best friend that can be there for you?!
Heck , I don’t know where you are but I would support you and be there for you! :two_hearts: I was thankful I had my best friend and my mom in the room.
Just know you are strong , and amazing! :two_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

With my second I was alone for the most part, my sister and Mom were there for the actually delivery but the nurses were very supportive and helpful

Hey hun
the midwifes and nurse will support you every step off the way until little one is here and after
Take advantage off there help once baby is born , try rest up before and after and enjoy the moment bring your little on intent world. Hope all goes well for you , stay strong and be proud off yourself x

I was pretty much alone during the labour part of my daughter’s birth. My labour nurse was absolutely fantastic though as she wasnt scared to touch me. She rubbed my back, helped me walk, understood why I was crying. Her name was Emma and I will forever remember her. My mom, MIL (at the time) and ex were more interested in smoking or eating. It wasnt until I needed to push that they were interested.

100% if I could go back and redo it - I would do it alone. No one in the room but me, the labour nurse and the doctor/midwife.

We are naturally made for this. The nurses will be Xtra great to care for you. Don’t worry and don’t stress yourself out. If you need help ask a nurse. That’s their job.

3 Likes

I did it solo, 3 times. Try to meet the midwives at the hospital where you plan to deliver the baby. You’ll do just fine I promise. Good luck