Am I being irrationally angry?

My son would have hit the roof with me had I done that! ( and rightly so). Your mother in law is bang out of order and her son is no better for sticking up for her!

11 Likes

That is just so bloody weird for someone to do! Especially an adult too. Your babies first birthday and she’s taken that excitement away from you all. I’d explain to all the guests that your really sorry but because your mother in law opened all your babies presents without you guys there you have no clue who brought what! Honesty is the best policy And your husband should be just as mad as you! And embarrassed that she done that to be honest. I’m sorry but that’s just weird :joy:

11 Likes

Sounds like she needs to re wrap them all

16 Likes

Not overreacting at all.
She has caused you to miss out on getting pictures of your child unwrapping their first presents as well as getting the reaction to the presents.
You do not know if any money or gift cards were given as there are no cards. You also do not know who gave which presents which if something doesn’t fit or work would be an issue in returning the items.
Your husband definitely should have stood up and said something to her about it and to find out why she did it.
Definitely not acceptable.

16 Likes

This is so utterly astonishing I can’t quite get my head around it! :exploding_head: Wow. Life is hard enough without a M-I-L like that. She was wrong - learn from this to be extra mindful that she’s odd so you can avoid this happening again - but keep gracious for your husband’s sake.

10 Likes

Oh hell no, I’d be so mad too! She took the chance away from your baby opening HIS presents and you getting lots of pictures. Wtf is wrong with her??! I hope you said something to her.

9 Likes

Omg she is completely out of order. The whole point is for the child to open them. We helped my son at 1 open his that part of the fun.

6 Likes

That is so rude, why on earth would she do that. Children love pulling off the paper and the boxes often more than the gift. Your husband should be more supportive. It is very strange behaviour

10 Likes

Mother in law too controlling by sounds of things. I hear your concern!
You know who was there … just explain to people as you think them for the present and their company … that will do. Just dont let her take presents next time! A bitchy thing to do to her grandchild!

8 Likes

I agree that she should not have opened the presents, they weren’t for her. If she wanted to know what the baby got she could have asked to be present for the opening. You can still send thank you cards, just choose your wording carefully , that thru no fault of your own the presents were separated from their cards.

8 Likes

No, but you need to talk to your mother in law, without the tone of anger and tell her that it caused you a problem, you cannot thank people and now have to send generic type thank you cards to all that attended. Hopefully, she won’t do it again.

6 Likes

I would send a generic Thank you and state I’m sorry I can’t identify your gift because (mother in law’s name) opened them without my permission

5 Likes

What in the actual #%*! Super bizarre, abnormal, not ok, messed up, disrespectful, NOT her place. Where are the cards!? That’s super sketchy :persevere: heartbreaking that she took that first experience away from your child & you as parents. Children at that age love playing with the paper and the joy on their face is priceless. FIRST BIRTHDAY!!

5 Likes

Shes in the wrong. She overstepped and needs to understand that behavior is not okay and won’t be tolerated. I personally wouldn’t want my kid to grow up seeing that and thinking that is okay behavior.

6 Likes

He thinks you’re overreacting because it’s his mom and GD MILs overstepping all over the got dam place.

8 Likes

No not in the wrong they. Were not her presents to open and she had no right XX

5 Likes

She was not right. And your man did not step up, this does not look good.

5 Likes

Really? Why do some mother in laws feel so self entitled!! I can’t even understand the logic for doing that or what it would achieve. I’d be mad there was no need for her to do that other then to get your back up. And why do men never stand up for there partners and tiptoe around there mums. Xx

3 Likes

Not overreacting at all!! Write a thank you note to everyone that was there ir sent a gift. Let them know that the cards got “separated” from the gifts during transport. Let her know that what happened was unacceptable and nothing like it will EVER happen again! I have no words for your hubby. Don’t wait for or expect apologies. I’m so sorry the whole thing happened.

4 Likes

That was extremely wrong of her to do that. She’s not the parent and you didn’t even get to experience your child opening presents.

3 Likes

You are not in the wrong ! I know its your husbands mum but he should have spoken to her about her actions! The presents where the babies not hers she had no right to do that! Lack of respect for you from your mother inlaw and your husband x

2 Likes

I would be giving her a christmas present unwrapped and say I opened it for you to save you doing it or sit in front of her and open it for her

5 Likes

No you are not your mother in law was wrongdoing that

6 Likes

Why would she even do that what excitement or anything would it come to an older woman to open their grandchildren’s birthday gifts without their grandchild that’s extremely strange. You should absolutely be upset and make sure she knows what she did is wrong. As for your significant other they should stand up for you, now your child missed out on a possible memory because of this.

1 Like

Im shocked she was so “take over” with opening the presents… for now…just send a generalized thank you, to everyone that attended, for making your childs day…not mentioning a gift…and never trust her to transport gifts again…tell your man…thanks for having your back…Moms arent always right…ps…arrive at her house early for christmas…and open all her presents for her…

40 Likes

Your husband won’t see anything wrong by it as she’ll have been like that all his life.
I’d be fuming! And you’ll always think of that when thinking back about your child’s first birthday. I had my own negative experiences regarding a first birthday and it’s upsetting.

1 Like

No you are not, who does she think she is, that is your baby’s 1st birthday not hers, you and your baby should of been the ones opening the gifts, I would never ever do anything like that to my kids and grand babies, that’s their day, that has made me mad her taking that away from you :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

No and I would talk to her and ask what goes with who . If she can’t do it. Don’t let her do this again. Selfish grama. AND LET HER KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT WHAT SHE DID… Thank you cards are easy. Just be honest tell them what happened or. Just tell the person thank you for the gift. My child will really enjoy it.

She opened your baby’s first every birthday presents wtf :scream: who does that!?! Why!?! Makes no sense I would be out raged and probly msg everyone who was at party asking what presents was theirs and who gave cash in cards because that’s sus and wierd

1 Like

What she did was wrong and you have every reason to be upset about it, but I don’t think it’s a reason to cause strife with your family just take this as a lesson of what she’s like and make sure not to give her an opportunity to do something like this again.

Opening and not returning the cards is a big red flag. True motivation had to be for the money/gift cards that came with them. No way she didnt know any better, its very possible she us an addict, i would definitely talk to each person who attended and explain the situation, they will most likely tell you if something was in the cards

1 Like

I actually had something very similar to this happen to. Without details I will say this… NO, you are not overreacting!!! I was ANGRY!! Set your boundaries early beautiful;it doesn’t get easier if this is her current behavior. Speaking from experience

1 Like

No your not wrong that’s super controlling of her to think she can step in and do that … and clearly something he’s put up with his entire life thus thinking it’s normal and acceptable :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Wrong!!! That was your joy! But why didn’t you let him open in front of party? People like to see opening of presents ??

1 Like

That would of pissed me off. What is wrong with her. Those were for your son to open. His presents. Why would she think it’s ok to open his presents. That was rude and disturbing.

Wow… that’s overbearing on a whole new level… you are definitely not in the wrong. Hubby needs to give himself a shake if he thinks that’s ‘normal’ behaviour… it most definitely isn’t… personally I’d drop your ‘dear’ MIL in the deep end over it and explain to everyone WHY you can’t send thank you cards/notes yet and request that they all let you know what they got for your LO so you can thank appropriately and ensure that he knows who got him what for his first birthday in future (wonderful side effect of MIL embarrassing herself with her behaviour… I wouldn’t even warn hubby or MIL about my impeding dropping them in the sh**… but then I enjoy watching people try to dig themselves out of holes they’ve created.) perfectly unacceptable behaviour from your MIL and hubby’s response isn’t much better either. Very concerning controlling behaviour from your MIL definitely.

That’s a bit weird.
If he doesn’t already have all of the gifts, can you re wrap them and video him unwrapping them and show her the video of how much fun he had doing it himself and maybe she might get the hint of how much she over stepped?

Different tactic but it might work.

He’s 1. Seriously? He could care less what a gift is or what’s in it. It’s YOU that wanted the experience- and understandable. The more you use the baby as the reason why you’re upset, the more childish it sounds and he’ll keep siding with Mom. On the other hand the “thank you’s” are important - that I would emphasize and tell HER to do them.

1 Like

No you are right to be mad. I would be too. But you have to think of long term effects bringing it any further in terms of your relationship with her.

you are right but honestly not worth the argument over something that can not be undone. Send general thank you cards and let it go because sometimes you just have to be the bigger person and fighting with family creates long term ill feeling

4 Likes

What & WHY??..Who does that!!!..
I’d be super pissed, she had absolutely NO right to open the presents - Nosey lady!..Makes NO sense for her to open them at all!!..
Hubby needs to grow a pair!!..
Set her straight, she will do it again otherwise!!..

You really need to talk to her about this. But do it in a kind way . I’m not understanding why she took the presents home with her. Where were you when this happened??? Without knowing the back story on this , I can’t say who messed up with this situation. It sounds very sketchy.

No, you’re not wrong. Does his mother not understand how birthdays work?! You don’t open the presents without the person they were given to even present! That’s just bizarre and selfish. They weren’t hers to open. But why didn’t you open them at the party instead of giving them to her to take home? I’ve never been to a birthday party where they didn’t actually open the presents…

1 Like

As a granny myself my fingers would be itching to open the presents BUT NO I would have to curb my enthusiasm and maybe be there with the family to enjoy the excitement in baby mummy and daddy :tada::tada::tada:

And if she doesn’t…I would contact everyone who attended, explain what happened, thank them for attending, and thank them personally…
There’s no excuse for any MIL to behave like that…I sure wouldn’t keep her bad behavior a secret.

Nope :-1: I’d flip my lid over that … she had absolutely no right and has clearly and very consciously over stepped

1 Like

Uhhhh id be pissed. Especially a first birthday, any birthday really. We write in the card what the present was to thank them personally also. Sooo not ok

1 Like

That is wrong
Its your babies birthday, if she wantedto be involved she ckuld have come and opened them with the baby!?! Shocking behaviour xx

Last time she will ever do that! Wow! Unbelievable!

1 Like

She definitely WRONG.
Relationship would definitely change after that. Let her know that she was wrong and you didn’t like what she did.

I’d have been the same she took that 1st experience away from both you and your baby!! Not on!

I would be so pissed beyond belief!!! She had no right to take that first away from your family

When it’s her birthday you and baba can just take a sit by gift table and go wild. :star_struck:

1 Like

No you are not wrong. Since your baby is so young you still have time to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Explain things to the other kids as well. BTW Happy Birthday to the Baby.

All depends of the education or costumes that this person have …may be is from another country in that this ocasión is not really too important and the oldest have importa my role in the family…:partying_face::stuck_out_tongue::joy::hugs::kissing_heart:

no…you are not wrong at all. what in the world was she thinking??? maybe she is not well mentally. a one year old does not really open presents though, so the thank you notes are the big thing. perhaps the mil and your husband may not know that people usually send thank you notes. it does put you in a funny predicament. i would be displeased too.

I would tell her I want all the cards and notes that came with the gifts. Since she already opened them, you atleast want that. And you want the wrapping paper too. Because you will rewrap it so your kid can have a chance to open HIS OWN gifts. And tell her to please not do that again in the future. Next time tell her to take the kids and you get the gifts. But definitely tell her that she took something important away from the kid and that’s why you’re so upset. Bc now he wont have the memories and you dont even have any photos of it

1 Like

It bothers me to the core whenever a partner let’s their mother or father get away with whatever they want even if it’s stuff that crosses the line. Just because it’s their parent :sweat_smile: I don’t give a damn if the person’s blood related or not, if they’re doing something unethical then they better be called out for it to let them know what they’re doing is wrong. Literally what business did she have opening up presents that weren’t meant for her?

1 Like

Do u mean she opened them when they was wrapped or she took them out of their boxes? I ask because if she literally unwrapped them I understand being upset if she took the out of their box maybe she thought she would help so u wouldn’t be so overwhelmed trying open an put away everything. Have u asked her where are the cards

WAy out of line! I would tell her that she ruined the first birthday!

I mean normal behaviour would be mother in law saying

I’ll take the gifts for you as your car’s full see you back home or at yours and we can watch them open them together

She is in the wrong and your husband needs to open his eyes but I doubt he will… Mama can do no wrong :roll_eyes:

You are not in the wrong or over reacting, you wanted to watch your baby open her presents and see who things were from so you could send thankyou cards or even a thankyou message x

Gifts weren’t hers to open! I would be big mad! No way are u irrationally angry! That’s just fukn rude of her!

Her mother in law must have crossed so many boundaries over the years-her son takes it for granted, doesn’t see how wrong it is.

Oh my days who does that. They weren’t hers they were your sons. That’s just wrong and she must of known that. And your husband is wrong for having her back in this.

My question would be, why weren’t they opened by your child during the birthday party? I always had my kids opened them during their party so everyone could see their enjoyment of their gifts being opened.

1 Like

Yes your mother in-law did wrong but in there are more serious issues in this world! Make sure you express what she did was wrong so she won’t do it again

I’d be fuming!! Totally not her place. And now it’s put you in a position where you can’t even do the proper thing and thank those that gave gifts.

Talk about overstepping the line ! Nice husband supporting his mom and not you ! Perhaps the two of them can send thank you notes to all the people. Then watch the husband tell you it’s not a big deal. Beyond rude. If your MIL is trying to have a good relationship with you she sure has a weird way of going about it. She owes you an apology but don’t hold your breath. You may suffocate. I know of a mother-in-law who chopped off her granddaughter’s long hair to a bowl cut while the parents were out for the afternoon. Unbelievable !

You have every right to be upset. I’d never be so disrespectful to any of my daughter in laws. She could have simply waited for y’all to open them if she is that nosey . You husband should have said something to her.

That’s playing up I’d be pissed ! my own mother / mother inlaw would never do that. You should tell her to come over and match the cards up with the presents so you can thank your visitors😉

It’s very strange behaviour …is this a type of thing she would do normally or could she be ill? I would think any nan would want their grandchild to be there for the opening of his pressies, so it makes me think the odd behaviour could be something but more serious, I’d get her to see doctor xx

No, I think that is extremely rude of her. Firstly they’re not her presents to open & you didn’t get the enjoyment of opening them with your child & secondly now you have no clue who gave what to send out thankyou cards. Sounds like the mother is a bit controlling taking control of things that aren’t hers. You need to speak to your husband & tell him if he doesn’t stand up to his mother & tell her leave your stuff next time then it’s you or he can go back to her, & I’d be saying to her since you opened them all you obviously know who all the presents are from you can go buy all the thankyou cards & send out to everyone of our friends & I’m not giving you the addresses ask your son.

What! No your not over reacting, you have every right to be fuming! How dare she open your kids 1st ever birthday presents.

Totally wrong on her account!! What was she thinking about opening a baby’s gifts? I think I’d have a little chat with her also.

What the actual fxxk.
No…she had no right to open anything. I understand she wanted to be part of the process but hell no.
Mother in law 200% in the wrong!

1 Like

I would actually cry. It’s a special moment of helping unwrap the presents I’d never get over that.

The MIL did that shit intentionally, she knew her son would be on her side. She’s loving every second of knowing she can get away with it. Pure Evil.

On my babys first birthday my husband let the kids open all their christmas presents before i got home. I was beyond irrationally angry! I was strait up pissed off!

No you are not wrong and you did the right thing by telling him first and since he doesn’t want to Handle the problem now you need to handle the problem on your own. I would ask her why she opened them and that it’s your sons bday and not hers and to never do that again.

I’d tell her myself that I want every single card!!! Then, call the people and tell them what she did!! I would ask them if there were any gift cards, money etc in the card. That way, you can also ask what gift they brought and send out proper thank you cards. She brought this all on herself!! That was just wrong on so many levels!!! Hubby don’t like it, he will get over it!! That is his child!! He should be mad too. If he isn’t, I’m afraid you got you a mommas boy then. Good luck!!!

Your mother in law overstepped boundaries. The gifts were not hers to open. Just tell her. Some parents forget their grown kids are adults… and they have the same boundaries between them that adults have. Your husband is looking at you, not as an adult with boundaries, but as an extension of himself and he has not separated from his parents yet…. and that won’t do in a marriage. Best to have that conversation soon.

What a B! She wouldn’t be back to my house or any event involving the children. And she would certainly get a blast from me. If son can’t see the problem he can go too. Sounds like he is afraid of mommy.

I’d be furious! How dare she open the child’s presents!!! Bang out of order. There is literally no excuse for this at all!

I’m absolutely fuming and this isn’t even happening to me lol. The MIL is bang out of order and a conversation needs to be had face to face about why she done it. I think you need to put a status on your Facebook just thanking everyone in general for coming to the party and the generosity of cards and gifts. That way you don’t feel embarrassed about trying to work out who gave what. Your husband needs to stand by you on this as you are well within your right to be furious. Hate interfering gits!!

I would 100 percent be feeling the same way!
You are not over reacting
It wasn’t for her to open them!! X

That was was wrong. None of her bussiness what child got and that was the baby gifts to open

I would be extremely angry. Half of the fun of presents is watching your baby open them!

1 Like

I would be annoyed too. She shouldn’t have done that. Boundaries and stuff.

I would be livid & I would send thank you cards to everyone that was invited stating “Thank you for the great gift, unfortunately I have no idea which is from whom because my MIL opened all the baby’s gifts & kept all the cards” & mailed one to even my MIL & husband… because ain’t no way in hell… & I would interact with both accordingly :woman_shrugging:t4:

No not in the wrong and
Mother in law has over stepped the mark so you won’t ask or rely on her to help in the future. It will be her loss. First birthday, first test mil failed.

at my wedding reception My Grandma took all the cards off the presents and put them in a basket with the checks. Had to call a lot of people.
I’m sure she meant well.

I would have lit into her, rewrapped the gifts and had a little party at home without her and tell my husband why I feel the way I do

No o dont think you’re wrong. If should could take them to her house, why she just didnt take them to your house. It wasn’t her plan e to open them. You never got the opportunity to way h babies fa e as they opened them. Yes I feel some kinda way with you.

Perhaps you should open her gifts then return them the same way. How rude!

No something is wrong with that women .I would not let her be a lone with your child she would probably give the child a hair cut.

OMG who does that…how can you send a thank you when you do not even know who a gift came from. I would read her the riot act.

For sure not in the wrong. And more to the point it seems ur hubby just doesn’t want to have to confront his mom about it. It’s worse bc like you said now you don’t know who sent what.

no u are deff in the right, sounds like a mummys boy that dosent want to upset poor mummy, i believe he needs to be at lest upset about that… that poor child didnt get to open any :,(

All I can think the mother in law has some illness that does not allow her to think correctly…no sane person would think this was ok…:roll_eyes::pensive::rage::triumph:

You have every right to be mad, I would be fuming. She had no right to do that and your husband should be taking your side