Am I being manipulative?

Nope. Your son lives with you. You claim him. He sounds like he doesn’t deserve it anyhow

3 Likes

Man I wish I knew not to let my ex claim my daughter every other year since I have full custody. I was manipulated by my lawyer to let him claim her every other year and he only sees her every other weekend. I wouldn’t do it now.

2 Likes

You claim him then. You have him more and they can kick rocks if he doesn’t want to step up and better his relationship with him. You clearly moved for them to stay close so that’s on him.

The hell is wrong with you???
You moved to another state for your son to be closer to his dad, you gonna let this man claim your son on his taxes… ( unless your son lives with that man under his roof or at least six months out of the year, it is illegal for him to claim them and you can get in trouble as well. You do know that if he claims him he gets all the stimulus money all the tax breaks all that free money that you should be getting he will get. And honestly he doesn’t have to share it with you because legally on the taxes he filed. Do not let him claim the kid on the taxes…
Oh and he has a girlfriend :hushed::thinking:
Stop forcing that man to be your sons father… smh it is 100% NOT your job… and girlfriend is probably thinking you want him back, I really don’t blame her you move to another state so your son can be close to his father, it should have been the other way around…

7 Likes

If you take care of your son and provide for your son why would you let someone else claim him? You claim your own son. Don’t let the ex and his girlfriend have that money for their own use. That to me is just stupid.

4 Likes

The first mistake you made was moving to where he is to make it more convenient for him. This should have been his effort. If he was motivated and wanted to have more time he should have put forth the effort and energy to move to where you were. Go to court and get a regular child custody agreement with regular days, weekends, and sharing holidays. Get a child support order. An attorney will advise you on the taxes. Then stick to it. If you don’t have family or other support there consider going back home. Let him put forth the effort.

3 Likes

Wait. You moved there so he could still only get every other weekend? That’s four days a month lol. No way in heck would/should he be claiming taxes. I think it’s great you want him yo spend more time with his child. 1000000% agree regardless of taxes. But sounds like he’s not interested. I wouldn’t push it and let him fade out. Sounds like that’s what’ll happen sadly

1 Like

You claim him. If he takes him 8 days a month.

3 Likes

Like everyone else is saying, Don’t let him claim your son on taxes. Tell him flat out no. Don’t even bother to inform him that the parent who has the child the majority of the time has the right to claim. If he’s your only child and the dad only picks him up 2 days out of every other week, WHEN HE WANTS TO you are the primary residence which gives you the right to file the child tax credit. Unless your ex pays all of your bills and can prove he is the main financial provider for your home, then I don’t think he has rights to claim the son. You just need to make sure you have the social security number and other things to be able to file. For the record I personally don’t think it’s “manipulative” to ask him to spend more time with your child if he’s wanting to claim him for taxes. I feel its reasonable because again, the parent who has the child the majority of the time has the right to claim. But the fact that your willing to let him claim if he spends an extra day or 2 with the kid tells me you’re pretty flexible which is good. He’s being manipulative by getting offended and calling YOU manipulative and removing you from social media and acting like your horrible because you asked him to take a few extra days with the kid. I go every other year with my ex for our son even though I have him the majority of the time. Because we worked it out. But I don’t like the way he’s reacting so you do what you feel is right, but don’t let him bully you into letting him claim your son.

4 Likes

Do not let him claim the kid on taxes. If he isn’t hardly involved, he shouldn’t get that money. If you spend more time and money on your kiddo you should claim him. Period.

3 Likes

Ask the boyfriend. What message did you send by moving from Texas to Arizona. Does he pay enough child support, more than you do to earn the right to pay support. Like yourself more.

1 Like

All dad sees is the dollar signs for claiming y’all’s son….you’re not being manipulative at all!! How are you asking too much when it’s having a relationship with his son??? Come the f on

3 Likes

I’m in Canada so it’s probably different, but in order to claim them wouldn’t he have to have them 50% or more of the time? Since what he would get back for claiming them would be to help raise them ?
Here we get child tax and it’s spread out each month throughout the year but only the person who has primary access ( the kids live with ) claims them on taxes and gets the child tax.

1 Like

You’re not in the wrong AT ALL. You moved states so that your son could be closer to his father, he sees him 4 times a month AND wants to claim him on his taxes?! Sorry, but that’s a big fat no! You’re the primary care giver. You have him the majority of the time and (I’m assuming) you provide the majority of his care/necessities. That EIC and child tax credit belong to the parent who actually takes care of their child! I’m sorry, but they’re the ones manipulating you and you’re an idiot if you let him claim the child! He wants the rights to claim the child, he needs to be active in the child’s life. Four days a month is a bare minimum… especially after you uprooted your life so he could be closer to his son and see him more. You could have stayed in TX if all he was gonna do was see him every other weekend.

3 Likes

Just say “No!” Unless he is providing rent, utilities, food AND child support for him, he is not his dependent.

1 Like

I wouldn’t let him claim him especially since it’s a bother to them to spend more time with him.

1 Like

Legally he can’t claim him on taxes unless the child spends the majority of his time there.

5 Likes

It’s all in the % Of dollars. If it adds up. Just be glad u got it, if not sue the idiot and ignore the live in…

I :clap: hate :clap: seeing :clap: these :clap:posts :clap: (not in a mean way, I hate seeing all of these barely there dads tryna claim their kids this time of the year)

Girl you are buying the food for that kid, clothes, toys shoes everything. He lives with you. That’s YOUR taxes, he did not spend all year paying them. Even if he does take his son more he shouldn’t be able to claim him, legally that’s tax fraud. The child has to live with you for 6 months out of the year

You should know your power beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: you work hard for that kid don’t let him reap your rewards

5 Likes

Hell no he doesn’t get to claim him on taxes…
That money if for the person who pays support, every day thru the year to care for the child, not the every other weekend part time dad.
Period.

1 Like

if he doesn’t have your son, don’t let him claim him… period

3 Likes

He can’t claim since he’s not the primary.

What a hole, seeing the $$ signs.

The girlfriend sounds great, karma will bite her if they have kids 🥲.

You’re being gaslighted, he’s the manipulative one.

7 Likes

Stand your ground. Keep that deduction for you & your son. If he decides to step it up as a dad that’s great! But probably won’t. Sounds like the gal pal has an influence there. You are not wrong. The courts would never see that as equal: 4 days min for the taxes? Uhm…nope! Not really very interested in his boy.

1 Like

Sounds like he just wants the money from claiming your son without being a parent.
Go to court, file for child support, and move on from this. He has made it apparent his intentions. DO NOT let him claim your son ever. Your son will have to live with him 51% of the time.

3 Likes

You literally moved to help him better a relationship with his child and he STILL barely sees him…and complaining about spending more time with his kid??? Jesus hes a piece of work… Do NOT let him claim him… File child support also.

5 Likes

He has to be responsible for him finically at least six months out of the year or legally he cannot. You would need to do the math and figure out how many days he had him last year and go from there. I strongly advise against it though but you need to get a attorney and get a custody agreement going if you don’t have one. Otherwise one day he could take your son and just not give him back and there isn’t much you can do about it. It isn’t kidnapping if the father keeps his kid.

2 Likes

Do not let him claim the baby.

3 Likes

Why would he claim him? He’s in your care more than half the time.

6 Likes

Think about it. If you allow him to claim him and he uses the money to take his gf on a vacation or spoils her instead of your son with that money who is being used? You and your son. Also who is being manipulated. That money is for helping with expenses for your son. Him and the gf are gaslighting and manipulating you.

9 Likes

No don’t let him claim him! Don’t ask him to take his son anymore, but if he’s not taking him on a regular basis and he asks for him when you have plans with your son just tell him no, you already have plans.

4 Likes

The new gf should butt out. I say no on the filing too. He should not be rewarded for not building his relationship with your son. Lifes a struggle. Kids need us.

If he only sees him every other weekend no he can’t claim him on his taxes. It’s the parent who has the child more. He’s just wants to child tax credit. Does he pay child support? You aren’t being manipulative. I would stop asking him to spend more time with your son. It’s his loss and your son will see that he doesn’t want to see him.

7 Likes

Like others said is he even paying child support? I know in most cases if they are then even if it’s every other weekend then the parents swap every other year. But if he’s not then I wouldn’t let him. But you can put him on child support and have it adjusted so you still claim him year also, it’s just usually a bit lower. That’s what I did so I can claim my 3 every year with my ex. But no I don’t think your being manipulative for trying to get him to spend more time with his son. I’d stop asking if he thinks it such a chore. Let him then decide.

1 Like

You should be claiming your son legally it’s whoever has the child more than 6 months out the year…

1 Like

If he’s only every other weekend, he’s a part time parent. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. If he doesn’t pay child support in addition to his visitation, then the answer would be no. As far as you begging him to take him more and spend time with him… just stop. It sounds like that’s not something he’s willing to do, and no amount of you begging and pleading with ultimatums or dangling tax refunds in front of him is going 4o fix it. And quite honestly, you pushing him to do it is gonna have the opposite reaction you want. He should WANT to make that effort on his own. The fact that he doesn’t should be a red flag that his child isn’t a priority, but rather the option. You shouldn’t have to force him by begging and guilt tripping. If you wanna move back to Texas, then do it. You dont owe him anything. If he wants a relationship with his child, he can prioritize his life around it. Its not YOUR FAULT if he chooses not to make thatbhis priority.

6 Likes

Claim him yourself you can’t make a man be a better father no matter how hard you try they should be a two family income claim him yourself with that money you can get him passes to sky zone swimming skating the zoo and you two spend that time together if it were me I would use the money to move back home why would you pack up and move to another state for your son to spend time with his father sounds like you are the only one making sacrafises

2 Likes

Do not let that “man” claim your child.

4 Likes

Check the tax laws but I’m fairly certain, ‘legally’ the primary custodial parent/guardian is the ‘only’ legal entity who may claim a child on their taxes, i.e., whomever he resides with 50+% of the time as the primary caregiver/custodial guardian. YOU are being used and manipulated. Time to fight for your son and yourself - you owe it to your son to be the responsible parent he needs, since it is obvious your Ex is not/will not be, unfortunately. My Best.

2 Likes

He can’t claim the child school records and or doctor records prove he lives with u

1 Like

No other woman in this world is going to tell me what I am and am not doing with my kid. Don’t ever let another woman make you feel this way. This is yours and his kid not hers

3 Likes

Whoever has the child mostly during the year and spends more money on living expenses for the child gets to claim him on taxes. The Dad’s girlfriend shouldn’t even have a say in this. That alone spells trouble.

3 Likes

He has to support your son more than 50% to claim him on taxes . That means rent food clothing Medical etc . If you and your son live alone rent is divided in 2 same with all household bills and upkeep of child . He cannot legally claim your son .

2 Likes

How you let him claim your son on his taxes when you have your son most of the time you need that money to raise your child that’s a hell no and he should also see his son at least one night during the week for dinner to bond with him

5 Likes

IRS form 8332 Release of Claim to Exemption needs to be signed by you but why would you? even if the child support he pays exceeds your monthly income you have your child 288 hours per month and he has him for 96, he owes you for child care

4 Likes

He’s maniplulating you. He wants the tax return for your son without doing any of the work & only being a parent when it’s convenient. YOU claim your son. You deserve it, you’re raising him & making sure he’s taken care of. Forget what he & his girlfriend are saying. Theyre gaslighting you to get your son’s money.

3 Likes

Do not let him claim him at all. Here in Massachusetts you cannot claim a child that doesn’t live with you most of the year.

1 Like

Umm, if dad doesn’t have him 51% of the time, it’s actually fraud to let him claim the child.
Pretty simple.

2 Likes

You claim your child. Unless he watches him half the time and pays you way more than needed you should not let him claim the child. My ex got in trouble without me saying or doing anything because he claimed my kids once when I had already claimed them. Do not feel guilty for asking a father to spend more time with his child. He’s being a jerk.

1 Like

He is the one being manipulative …if the child lives with you than you claim him Why should he get all that extra money when all he does is take him every other weekend that what 4 days a month …you need that money to support your child he needs it to spend on himself

2 Likes

it depends on what is in the parenting plan paperwork. In AZ it’s every other yr.

Technically in most states he has to support the child more than half of the year consecutively in order to claim the child on taxes. Every other weekend or sporadic visits doesn’t warrant him being able to claim the kid on taxes.

2 Likes

HE is the one manipulating you !!! Why would he claim him if he doesn’t live with him??? What does he want the money for??? Obviously not to spend it taking your son out and about or to a trip or to get him clothes or pay for the roof he lives under …… CUSTODIAL parent gets to claim the child !!! And unless you have shared custody (which means he spends a whole week with you and a whole week with him) he has no right to claim him …… don’t beg a man to see your child …… please don’t teach your son that he has to beg to be loved …… let your ex do what ever the F*** he wants …… but don’t give him things he doesn’t have a right to …. Such as claiming him on his taxes …… plus if he pays child support they give him a form at the end of the year…. If he isn’t paying child support …… then there’s something very wrong ….

2 Likes

Of course he wants to claim him this year because there’s a really big child tax credit. If he does not have him at least half of the time then no I would not let him claim him he can pay child support and claim the payments for that

2 Likes

If you have child support with him most child support shows on your paper who can claim what and how etc. If you don’t have that and no stipulations then he has no right to claim unless you allow him to. I would check your tax laws where you live to see.

1 Like

He gets him 8 days out of the month. He doesn’t have him enough to claim the taxes so yes, he’s gaslighting you.

2 Likes

move back where u came from :woman_shrugging:
let him figure it out

Hello no don’t let him claim yr son.U wont see a dime.

3 Likes

You are not wrong and manipulative, if he spent equal time taking care of the child, and spent equal money then it would be fair to take turns claiming him on taxes, you one year him the next. What does is say in your parenting plan? If you don’t have one get one, you can even put in a parenting plan that your ex only gets to claim your son on taxes every third year if he is current on child support, or that he cannot claim the child on taxes period, anything regarding visitations, and taxes should be in a parenting plan, along with the statement school schedule takes priority.

Don’t let him claim him on taxes if his time with him is less than yours. You can’t force a relationship no matter how hard it is to watch your kid go through that.
And every other weekend will be a great thing once your son starts school. He will need consistent stability in both homes if the parent time ever changes. With where you both reside now can the same school be attended?
You mentioned you moved closer so his dad can have more time with him. Your already doing too much for the father. Stop doing that. He’s the father he should be on top of doing his part. Save yourself and sons sanity in the long run, step back and don’t push a relationship, document anything changes no-shows and any 2day pickups and dont go extra for him

1 Like

Do NOT let him claim your son he doesn’t get to reap the benefits of having a child if he makes no effort for the child

4 Likes

Wow! You think he would want to see his child more. Don’t you dare let him claim your child. Obviously your child is a burden to him & the girlfriend

Cut him off then. He doesn’t want to actually be with his child, he just wants the money. Claim your child and get full custody.

First off would not let him blame taxes on son if he only has visits. And sound like the girlf friend is not ready to have your son maybe feeling a little overwhelmed herself. And as long as the ex is picking son up and bringing him back don’t push for more time on him. Heck there are man and woman yes women that don’t even bother to see their kids.

1 Like

He’s in the wrong for claiming on taxes if he doesn’t have the child more than 50%

4 Likes

I really don’t know how to give thanks to priest Roso for bringing my beloved back with his powers. I never would have believed that I could have my wife again after leaving my kids angry and my wife got frustrated because I didn’t care for them. I realized that I have done the wrong thing to my lovely family, which resulted in a separation between myself and my wife and children. I have been in pain for a number of years after trying by all possible means to get it back but to no avail. Someone talked about Priest Roso and I felt that I could be helped too and had to ask him for help too, to feel happy again for the first time in so many years It felt like a dream to me, but it was a reality. In short, I and my family are reunited and my wife is very happy to be with me again. I feel very comfortable with the help of priest Roso is blessed and I really appreciates his great effort towards my life and that of my family. Since the great priest Roso was referred to me, I would ask and I’m also happy to pass onto anyone who needs help to contact him through the page by clicking on the link below :point_down::point_down::point_down: Redirecting...

You can only claim a child if they spend 6 months of the year with you. It’s federal law

5 Likes

Nope. You claim him on your taxes. Your son is with you almost all of the time. He is the one being manipulative.

8 Likes

Never allow him to claim that child on his taxes unless he is supporting that child

5 Likes

Legally he’s not allowed to. If he DOES claim him, you could be setting yourself up for him not paying child support and even as far as losing custody. He can say he had him more than 50% of the time and you agreed when you let him claim him thereby stating he does the majority of caregiving and you can end up paying child support.

7 Likes

Don’t let him claim him he is living with you :100: smh

4 Likes

He can’t claim if he didnt provide most of his care for at least half of the last year.

4 Likes

1st things 1st - He isnt entitled to claim the child if the kid doesn’t live with him for more than 6 months out of the year. He’s not supporting the child. Do not let him do this, it’s screwing you over. 2nd thing - it’s his kid, you’re asking him to see him more frequently. If he thinks that’s manipulation he’s immature.

13 Likes

He is being manipulative. He gets your son for 2 days every other week or 2 days whenever he feels like it. So maybe 4-6 days a month out of 30? No way should he be claiming him on his taxes. He still spends most of his time with you. If it were me, he’d have to spend a lot more time with his child and prove it before taxes would be an option

10 Likes

He can not claim that child, he’s not with him enough!! And no your not in the wrong! The girlfriend needs to stay out of it!!

8 Likes

Make sure you file first and claim your child!!! He deserves nothing

6 Likes

You claim him if he doesn’t want to spend time with him it his lost not your it looks like you are trying to do the right thing but it takes two

3 Likes

#1 you claim him on your taxes. #2 you moved so he would have a relationship with your son. Thinking it isnt going how you had it in your head and you don’t give enough info to say whether you are being manipulative. If they are removing you from social media and such…you might want to really self reflect.

Do not let him claim him!! The GF is a whole other issue… its sounds to me like she doesnt want your sons father and your son to spend more time together… thats a whole other issue… You picked up and moved your life so this person could build a relationship with your son. Youve made the sacrifices up to this point I would not offer him a dime.

2 Likes

Uhm no you have him more you have the right to the extra money not him, that’s selfish of him to even think he’s entitled to that!!!

4 Likes

Contact an attorney to find out what you should do legally. Myself I’d move back to where I live before because he seems to be bringing a lit of crap that he’s going to throw at you. Nor worth it.

2 Likes

So people here say you cant claim unless they are there 6 months BUT in my custody agreement the non custodial parent CAN claim them every other year IF they are up to date on child support so check your custody agreement, if yoy ďo not have one you do not have to let him. But by law the parent that has every other weekend is allowed to claim them due to paying child support. They still support them.

1 Like

File your taxes now and claim your son. If he does not spend at least 50% of the time with his father then his father should not be claiming him as a dependent. If he files first and claims him you won’t be able to claim him. He only sees him for 2 out of 7 days that’s not enough time to claim him and they are manipulating you not the other way around

2 Likes

You claim your child. They’re being ridiculous

You can’t force a parent to see their kids. Nor can or does the court enforce it. If you are the full custodial parent, you should be claiming him in your taxes. I wouldn’t even discuss it with him.

Visitation and money should have no bearing on each other.
Just curious - is he paying Child Support? That is the determining factor in his claiming him.

I dont believe you can both claim. Sounds like you have the child 95% of the time if not more, it shouldn’t be up for debate!

This is very sensitive and private information . Question comes to my mind “ is he paying child support ?” Cause that is what qualifies to claim him on his taxes . He can’t have it all his way . It does sound manipulative . Is he even spending Quality time with him ? I’m sorry I don’t mean to pry at all . You have a right to set some boundaries and ground rules that are the most healthy for your little guy . Cause he is already 3 . Best wishes.:pray::hugs::heart::pray: