Am I Being Paranoid About Letting In-Laws Stay in My House During COVID?

QUESTION:

"Got into a huge fight with my fiancé last night because he invited his sister/husband to stay with us for the weekend in a couple of weeks.

I’m still deathly afraid of COVID and haven’t had anyone stay in the house since March or really even visit other than a quick necessary drop-by. Not even my mother has stayed with us.

Am I being paranoid here or is anyone else back to usual and having a get-together at home? We’re in Texas if that helps."

RELATED QUESTION: I’m Worried My Child Might Have COVID-19: What Are the Symptoms I Should Be Looking For?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“No you are not. You are only advocating for your health and no one should put you down do that. A home is your safe place where you shouldn’t have to worry about the outside world. I am doing the same thing!”

“I’m in Texas as well and have people over. You have to get on with life and stop living in fear. You can take precautions like masks and having people sanitize their hands, but you can pick up the virus simply by going to the store, going to get gas, etc…”

“I don’t think you’re paranoid at all. Part of the reason we’re not past all this crap yet is that people refuse to do what is needed to decrease positivity rates. I’d be comfortable hanging out with them outside, with masks, but not in my house. Only members of my household are allowed in my house. Do not allow yourself to be made to feel guilty for following your instincts and doing the right thing.”

“I didn’t see my mom since march as well. Bc of covid. She died unexpectedly in July. Worst mistake of my life. As long as you take precautions, I would say let them visit. Have hand sanitizer out. Check their Temps if you have to. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable. But don’t shut your loved ones out.”

“My little family is not going around anyone. I hadn’t seen my mom and brother in five months and the live fifteen minutes away. I only started seeing my mom and brother last month again. It’s so hard. Why do they need to actually stay with you? Maybe offer to pay for their hotel, if possible? He shouldn’t have made that decision without running it by you. Covid-19 numbers seem to be going up again, so I see your concern.”

“OMG, no girl, you are DEFINITELY NOT PARANOID. America is in the grip of a pandemic that is getting worse. Put ya foot down and just say “No Way”. Not until this thing is under control.”

“I haven’t had any visitors, visited anyone’s house, and no one has met my baby. Personally, I think he should have spoken with you before inviting guests over during a pandemic. You’re not being paranoid, you’re being safe.”

“I live in Texas, and there’s no way I would feel comfortable. It’s easy for other people to tell you to live your life. Yes, it’s his house too, but if he’s the one bringing potential harm then he’s the one that doesn’t get to do it. Just because we’re so far into the pandemic doesn’t mean it’s over or less of a threat. We’re building up to another peak! Just because others are ready to move on or turn a blind eye to getting sick doesn’t mean you should feel any obligation to move on with them. Yes, risk factor assessment is a great tool, but with this still being a novel virus that we’re seeing affect people of all ages and health levels, the risk will never be worth it to me. My two kids and I stay home all the time. My husband goes to work with a full respirator and comes home. We get groceries delivered. We’re doing everything we can to absolutely minimize exposure and risk, and we will continue until the is a reasonable solution. I had my second child in May, and he has only met grandparents because they quarantined for two weeks before he was born.”

“You do what’s best for you. If you don’t feel comfortable then don’t do it. We haven’t let anyone in our house.”

“Everyone has their own comfort level! Personally, we are not letting Covid rule our lives. We’ve traveled and stayed with friends, and we have friends and family over. We’re in CA where out Gov likes to shut everything down…so connecting with friends and family is crucial to our mental health! Do what makes you and your family feel comfortable!”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

25 Likes

Covid is spreading because ppl don’t know basic hygiene…cover mouth withe elbow whole coughing/sneezing, washing hands, and staying out of peoples personal space (6ft) like they are really just telling you to have basic hygiene…You can not live your life in fear like this…covid will ALWAYS be around now forever…viruses don’t just disappear…it’s now here to stay and will forever be around for many many years…so to stay inside and not visit ppl etc doesn’t make sense tbh

2 Likes

Maybe a bit paranoid. I would definitely talk to you guests prior to their arrival and ask about exposure or how they are feeling. Explain your concern. There is no reason you guys can’t be smart and safe and still enjoy life.
:heart:.

15 Likes

Here’s my concern. If you have been staying away from people and the environment, your immune system has been weakened. You need to be around germs to keep the ability to fight sickness. It’s just a fact. Your chance of getting sick is higher. It happened to a friend of mine. Stayed in for 3 months. Went nowhere. Started work, cutting hair, and was sick within a week.
So I probably wouldn’t have anyone in my house.

9 Likes

It is not being paranoid! I am sorry that he didn’t think to discuss it with you first and take your opinion into consideration.

18 Likes

I am back to regular life :woman_shrugging:t2: my kids have been back in school for 4 weeks and have had 3 positive cases at their school. They are in 1st and Kindergarten. Their school has been very upfront and I have had both of them tested when they had runny noses due to allergies. I think it is your personal belief and opinion on everything rn :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

This is where it gets weird.

It’s your Home. Whether it is a cardboard box or a castle, this is where you can be naked and safe.

First thing you NEED to address is that fact with whomever is also on the lease/mortgage/whatever understands that fact.

Personally, I believe:

Your House. You have the Right to refuse shelter. No matter. No explanation.

House Williams is a Safe Place, especially for strays, but this rule is in effect.

6 Likes

Most places offer rapid tests now. Ask them to get a tested before they come to your house. Takes 15mins. Better to be safe. But live your life, covid is not going anywhere any time soon.

Covid went through my house months ago and I was sick for weeks. My live in nanny is immunocompromised and was practically bedridden for over a month. It’s nothing to play around with. Most people bounce back pretty quick but when it hits hard it’s awful. I still have breathing issues. And I got to deal with it while tending to my sick 9month old and 2 year old as well. Thankfully they only got it mildly and were past it in a few days and my husband got past it in about a week.

1 Like

You can’t hide forever. Live your life and enjoy your family. Life is too short to sit at home for months on end without seeing anyone.

18 Likes

That is ur family and u make the decision. U have doubts so don’t let them visit. U rather be safe than sorry esp when u have kids that u have to protect.

You’re not paranoid. You have a right to be concerned. You don’t know if those people take precautions.
Everyone makes it out like it’s just the FLU but it isn’t. I now have lung damage from it.I got it back in March before everything shut down. I hope one day soon I will start to feel better.

5 Likes

With all the horrible scare tactics I am sure many feel the way you do. Yes, people have died BUT this virus has a 99% survival rate. You can’t guarantee you won’t catch it BUT you can know 99% is huge numbers of survival. I’m not saying be stupid and throw caution to the wind I’m just saying don’t live in debilitating fear of it. This virus is not going anywhere. It will continue just as the flu does (yes I know it’s worse than the flu). Like I said, be cautious as you always are…just not reclusive.

9 Likes

You definitely sound paranoid. Living in complete fear. Be wise and use common sense, build your immune system and LIVE. So do you not drive or ride in a car either die to the death rates attributed to car accidents? Just asking.

31 Likes

We’re in SC and we were like that with our kids when the pandemic first started, however we’ve now let our guard down a little. We’re only around people we know have been avoiding large groups & staying safe. The majority of people we’ve been around is family, a very few friends & their children. I suffer from a panic & anxiety disorder, germs are a huge trigger for me. Your anxiety is valid & if you don’t feel comfortable then don’t do it, you’ll only be miserable during their stay worrying about the what if’s. If you feel like you could cut back some and still stay ahead of any anxiety while they’re there then that may work too.

2 Likes

Yes paranoid. It’s your family. And that’s very disrespectful to treat your husband that way over seeing his family. It’s been since March when will you live life again this will continue on into 2021. Covid will never fully disappear. It’ll be the new flu people sometimes catch yearly…

15 Likes

You know what that’s so wrong that you got to worry if you’ll get sick I think maybe your husband should of stood up for you and said no you come first there hotel if you get sick he will be sorry

Nope, not paranoid at all, same here. Our children are going to school and thats it. We have a newborn and nobody has seen her

Well, you are paranoid and should probably think about opening your home back up. However, if your husband should be willing to communicate issues with you and you guys should both respect each other’s boundaries. Maybe talk to those invited over about it and see if they could take some extra precautions. Hope it all gets better for you💕

No you are absolutely right in trying to protect yourself and family…I too haven’t let anyone in my house not even my children but it hurts so much to not hug them…my husband and I are high risk.

6 Likes

No, people are just bored and like to think the pandemic isn’t going on. If you have that gut feeling to protect your family then do it. It’s always better to play it safe than to be sorry. My husband and I are extremely paranoid but I mean it is what it is better for us all to be healthy and come back together one day than to lose someone. Don’t let anyone else try to convince you that something is mild or not real listen to science.

13 Likes

You’re not being paranoid. It’s your house and if you don’t want people there it’s up to you. As for the people calling you paranoid…they’re just scared of losing people. Times change and with covid…there’s no harm in being cautious.

I always feel like having anyone else stay at your home should be discussed as a couple first. I’m a very private person and I don’t like surprise guests. Unless there are special circumstances or I too am very close with the person. We don’t know your family, or it’s dynamics, your reasons or his so ignore the rude judgmental comments.

3 Likes

I feel the same way honestly. I’m not overly paranoid but I’m still not 100% comfortable with people visiting. I rather take precautions and wait instead of risking my family for a weekend visit. I’m sure if you mentioned your concerns he’d rethink his decision. Just because they are family doesn’t mean you know exactly who they’ve been around or how they protect themselves.

4 Likes

I’m not at all scared of corona; however it’s your home. You are allowed to feel whatever you feel. He is your husband and you two need to communicate and support each other.

2 Likes

You are not being paranoid ! You have to be comfortable in your home and he should have talked to you before making decision like that. Your well being physically and mentally is more important than having friends/ family excetra staying in your home.

1 Like

My parents have stayed with us twice since covid started and they will again next month. They live 9 hours away and make it a point to come visit. So I open up my doors for them instead of expecting them to foot a hotel bill.

Well where have they been or they may have been around others we had a partyi stayed away I dint want to get that virus it’s scary

1 Like

We don’t let anyone stay here if they’ve been travelling but that’s it.

1 Like

Life is to be lived, take th necessary precautions but don’t be paranoid. If its its your time to die, you cannot stop death. That’s my take​:+1::pray::heart:

If you are healthy with no health issues and no infants then you are not in danger

Your partner shouldn’t make those decisions without consulting you.

1 Like

Id have them stay at a vrbo or hotel and meet for dinner at open public areas.

I got covid beginning of August and I still have trouble breathing and my 4 yr old keeps getting random fevers for a day and tummy pain. If you can avoid covid, DO IT

11 Likes

Yes, your paranoid. I’ve been flying back and forth from Colorado to Louisiana almost every month, the entire pandemic and haven’t got sick. And I rarely wear a mask.

9 Likes

Not paranoid. Outside visiting is best.

1 Like

Live your life, allow people to come back into your home.

1 Like

You’re paranoid and listening to all the scaremongering… Get busy living or get busy dying… IT IS NOT GOING AWAY EVER!

10 Likes

It is your home! Do what you are comfortable with! We have lost family and friends to Covid. So it’s not paranoia. Cases are rising again in my area. Everyone needs to do whatever is good for them and their families.

1 Like

No!! People who act like covid is no big deal are fucking stupid!! I stand with you!!

2 Likes

You’re being paranoid. Covid will never go away. You need to understand having covid is no worse than a cold or the flu or strep throat or any other thing we deal with day to day. Live your life.
Also wanna add, if retail workers can continue going to work and aren’t getting sick, shouldn’t that tell you something? I currently have tonsilitis. No covid, and I wear the mask. Tonsilitis is spread the same way as covid. Theres no stopping it.

15 Likes

I am starting to think of covid like the chicken pox and that we all need to get it and get over it for immunity. I don’t trust the testings at all. A lot of people here are saying they had covid and it was just a runny nose which sounds like fall allergies to me and the experts. There are thousands of false positives out there it isn’t just to inflate the numbers but the test will be positive if you’ve had the flu or a corona virus cold that is not covid 19. I also know people personally who have had a false positives because they got tested twice in two different cities and one was positive and one negative. It is a bunch of hype unless you are one of the few that are severely immunecompromised.

4 Likes

My whole family got Covid a few weeks back. Pretty shitty cold. My three year old was over it in 3 days, baby barely showed anything but a runny nose. I was mostly pissed at the loss.of taste and smell for 9 days :roll_eyes: My 60 year old mom had it and same for her. Do you and your family have underlying health issues? Co-morbities? If not, It’s not scary. Turn off the news. 98.9% recover perfectly fine. People the age of 75+ recover at 94%.

Be progressive, take zinc, vitamin C and get some sunshine for vitamin D. Take elderberry. Help your immune system out. The more you stay dwelled in your homes the worse it is for your mental health and health in general. Trust your body. Covid is gonna go NOWHERE. It was never ever about stopping it, it was about slowing it, the vaccine (which I’ll NEVER get) will not fully stop it either.

It’s your life, but I highly consider living it. Just remember, 98.9% recovery perfectly fine.

20 Likes

I’m over all the hype. I work at a primary school, my husband works at a prison. “Covid” has spread like crazy here. Honestly it was all just snot and fever. Nothing major. Basically an upper respiratory infection. I understand everyone’s concerns if they have other illnesses, however covid is here to stay (just like the flu, etc) and we have to learn to live with it. With that said, your house, your rules. Just because I’m not paranoid doesn’t mean you don’t have the right to worry. We all have seen different sides of this virus and not everyone would agree with what my thoughts on it are. So if you’re uncomfortable with company, put your foot down and say no.

5 Likes

Youre not wrong at all. Texas cases are only rising. The National death toll is only rising. I would be upset too. I feel for you…we lost a family friend to COVID. Family friends who have caught the virus still have lingering issued afterwards its not worth any risk for anyone. Its not fair to you he didn’t even ask you in the first place.

4 Likes

Dont listen to these dumb ass fucking trump supporters.

1 Like

Unless you are going to basically become hermits it is rather ridiculous. What is the point of living if you are in hiding? You and your family have to have lives. And even hiding will not stop you from getting it!!! :woman_facepalming: I had it at 6 months pregnant and baby and I are both fine. I also have underlying health issues. Our daughter goes everywhere we do and my husband works in a restaurant. On the other hand your significant other should not be inviting anyone EVER without talking to you first. That’s just mutual respect!

3 Likes

We just had our annual Halloween party, started it years ago when the grandkids were little, now it has grown as their friends come along. While most of the grandkids stay inside (16-19 years) the younger ones are outside.
We requested:

1. everyone wear masks inside the house.
  2. we used individual packaged food as snacks for the most part. And individual drinks, rather than the usual punch bowl.
    No bobbing for Apple’s, this year.
    Hand sanitizer was available.
    Was a great party.
1 Like

You won’t get a clear answer here because this issue is completely split along political party lines. Everyone is either going to tell you you’re completely justified or that you’re paranoid and living in fear. You’ll get anecdotal evidence about people who have been living their lives but haven’t gotten sick, or anecdotal evidence about the healthy 35 year olds who have died. Both are true. If you’re worried, ask them to take a covid test before staying with you. If they’re insulted, then they are being silly. It is a reasonable precaution to take. My brother visits us every couple of months for a few days, and gets a rapid test every time just to be safe.

12 Likes

Paranoid or not, it’s how you feel and you fear it. Stick to what you feel is best and safest for your family, Despite how others feel or what they say.

You need to do what you feel comfortable with

1 Like

Go with your gut. You will not get a fair answer here

Canadian here: I live in a province with zero community spread. If we had community spread, it wouldn’t be recommended for any guests to come into the home. If there were a high number of cases we wouldn’t be permitted to having guests inside if the home, but we could have visits on the lawn (six feet apart with masks) to reduce the spread.

It’s worth noting that not everyone shares these sentiments because most of them did not have the best grades in science class. Nor do they wish to learn anything that may protect their families. This is why my province had strict regulations, fines, and had the chief public health doctor lead during the pandemic. With following regulations; we barely had a first wave. Even now, it’s just people whom travelled outside of our province that have become infected. We enjoyed a wonderful summer with our families and created a bubble of four provinces to travel between. Now our regulations are somewhat back due to the second wave in the rest of the country, but we all realize we’re saving lives and that we will soon get back to a sense of normalcy.

I realize you’re in Texas and that it’s ridiculous right now. Hold out for a little longer. You are not paranoid. This virus sucks and it is very real. It kills even healthy people and children. Texas is not doing so well at the moment and I’d keep your own restrictions in place. They may be family, but they’re not worth risking your life over. Judging by some of the comments there’s still plague rats that are continuing the spread. Looks like nothing has changed in America since the pandemic of 1918. Stay strong and be safe.

Looks like a lot of doctors and nurses here with all of the medical opinions you are getting. Your home, your life, your choice. I’ll be darned if I would stand for my husband inviting over night guests to our home without getting my input first. Covid or not. If you are that concerned tell him NO!

I was getting a little more at ease until this big uptick started again, in Texas. I have 2 grand daughters who got tested not feeling sick, just allergy like symptoms. Both are positive. It’s hard not to be overly cautious especially when hubby and myself are at high risk.