I'm Worried My Child Might Have COVID-19: What Are the Symptoms I Should Be Looking For?

QUESTION:

What were your kids’ symptoms if they were positive for COVID-19? My 2.5-year-old just had major diarrhea and projectile vomit. It could be flu or stomach bug, but I have two girls in school, so I have to be on the safe side.

Already called the doctor just asking for symptoms other kids had when they tested positive. I have 2 girls in school, so I have to get him tested, so be on the safe side and I’m hoping it may just be the flu or stomach bug versus COVID."

RELATED QUESTION: What’s a Good Punishment for Teens Who Snuck Out?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“I have COVID and so does my 8-month-old. Severe diarrhea, slight cough, and fever were her symptoms. They came and went quickly for her.”

“My daughter has COVID right now, but it appeared like a sinus infection. I would say have him tested because you never know what he could have. Even though the symptoms may not be listed, it doesn’t mean it is not COVID. That is what I found out with my daughter.”

“My son had COVID and all he had was a headache, nausea, diarrhea… that’s literally ALL he had. No fever, coughing, etc.”

“I just read an article from The NY Times that said with most kids the primary symptoms are Gastrointestinal issues, which include diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea. I would get him tested.”

“My advice, have the baby tested. My oldest was just tested and she said it wasn’t bad. I work in a hospital and there has been a huge uptick in our cases. There are so many different symptoms but yes vomiting, diarrhea are symptoms. Please do not take this virus lightly. It has irreversible effects on the body and sends more people to the hospital than the flu. Only about 60,000 people die from the flu/year, we are already at over 200,000 deaths in 10 months.”

“Symptoms are different from person to person. It could be COVID or it could be a bug going around. My daughter just got over a bacterial infection that she had bouts of diarrhea. I would say get the test to be safe.”

“Just get the kid tested ASAP if you’re worried that she contacted some kind of a viral infection. Projectile vomiting & diarrhea may be indications of a viral infection that may need prompt medical attention not just COVID-19.”

For more information about COVID-19 symptoms in children and teenagers, visit the CDC’s website.

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

31 Likes

I have covid and so does my 8 month old. Severe diarrhea, slight cough, and fever were her symptoms. They came and went quickly for her :heart:

7 Likes

Most likely the tummy flu? Fever? Or lethargy? Sleepy? Not eating… the likely hood of it being covid is slim

1 Like

Good luck, God bless!

I had 3 kids with it. 1st had runny nose, slight cough, no taste for 2 days. 2nd had fever and runny nose. 3rd never had symptoms

2 Likes

Just get the kid tested ASAP if you’re worried that she contacted some kind of a viral infection. Projectile vomiting & diarhhea may be indications of a viral infection that may need prompt medical attention not just covid19.

1 Like

All this fake virus is is the flu give lots of juice/Pedialyte and lots of love and they will be fine

18 Likes

Please dont take that advice ^ it can get really bad…

32 Likes

Get him tested momma. Could be something else but yes its symptoms

1 Like

I myself have covid right now, diarrhea, no taste or smell, dizziness, I get hott, sweating…no fever tho. Everyone’s symptoms are so different! Good luck :+1:

7 Likes

This is my daughter right now… she tested negative for covid, influenza and strep… doctors couldn’t give me and answer and we are day 5 of fevers…
Sleepy
Vomit
Diarrhea
Not eating
(Drinks fluids like a rockstar)
Runny Nose
These are my daughters symptoms. Shes 3.

3 Likes

My baby was 2. She only had 2 fevers on different days within 2 weeks. No other symptoms. She was fine.

Everyone’s symptoms are different if the babies are sick go to urgent care or the dr. I don’t think anyone should mess with illness with this going around. My nephew has it and has had it for weeks still sick.

1 Like

Omg seriously? Do not get a child tested over a stomach bug. That is completely ridiculous. Covid is not a stomach bug so if those are your only symptoms it’s stupid to even bother with a test. :woman_facepalming: Do you even realize how many false positives there are? Why would you even risk that over some tummy symptoms. Come on people. Use some freaking common sense. Not every illness is Covid.

16 Likes

My son had covid and all he had was a headache, nausea, diarrhea…thats literally ALL he had. No fever, coughing etc

2 Likes

The test is horrible for adults and even worse for babies. Get all other tests done before resorting to that and the stomach bug is bad enough with other kids so you don’t want that getting spread either.

My daughter threw up the first night. The next day her body was very hot, a fever, coughing and could barely move. She laid on the couch, couldnt even lift her head

It’s flu season get those kiddies a flu shot!

I don’t believe all this covid crap. But whatever…with that being said my two babies have been sick for three days now and had ALL the covid symptoms so they got tested today. For covid the flu and rsv. Guess what?!? I would get my babies tested every single day for a year for covid rather than them being tested once more for the flu or rsv. The covid test they swabbed the inner nostril three times each nostril. The flu and rsv they hit their brain.( seemed likeit) Even caused my son’s 3 yo nose to bleed :pensive:It was AWFUL. Traumatizing painful and sad. All for them all to come back negative and be diagnosed with severe sinus infection. PROTECT YOUR BABIES. YOU DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST. the covid test was a walk in the park today.

5 Likes

My daughter has COVID right now,but it appeared like a sinus infection. I would say have him tested because you never know what he could have. Even though the symptoms may not be listed, it doesn’t mean it is not COVID. That is what I found out with my daughter.

3 Likes

My daughter was sick and i was an idiot who didnt believe it was covid 2 days after she woke up coughing blood vomiting and her oxygen was 90 now she has permanent lung damage and i have extreme mom guilt because i didnt get her tested the first day she got sick PLEASE get your child tested

5 Likes

I just read an article from The NY Times that said with most kids the primary symptoms are Gastrointestinal issues, which include diarrhea, vomiting and nausea. I would get him tested.

Does he have a fever? My son has covid positive. He had a fever, runny nose, and a small amount of diarrhea. He wasn’t eating very well either😕

Kali Anne My parents are both in the hospital with Covid and their main symptoms are nausea/vomiting, diarrhea and weakness without a fever. Their tests are definitely not false positive.

1 Like

I’ve heard the stomach problems are pretty bad for little ones.

I work in a school and seems to be kids with high temps and headaches are testing positive x

1 Like

My nephew had a nasty stomach bug last week. So did my mom, her friend and all her boys.

I also had covid and I didn’t even have stomach issues.

My kids had straight fevers for five days couldn’t keep it gone and then it disappeared.

I would wait for the Dr to tell you. Everyone is different. I would not put that young child through a test

10 Likes

4 in our home had it and all 4 had different symptoms. Mild Cough congestion headache for one, loss of Taste and smell for one, bad cough and headache for one, hoarse voice and congestion for one… who knows with this virus, the symptoms are all over the place. Prayers for your kiddo!

1 Like

A lot of children get diarrhoea and vomiting as some of the COVID symptoms. So I heard recently from a GP on radio recently looking at symptoms in children. Have some of the others as well. She advised getting further medical help.

Mine just had the sniffles , a mild cough a little throat pain and no fever …but they didn’t feel good …

My son had diarrhea, runny nose. Cold meds / allergy meds did not help at all which is what got me concerned it wasn’t normal for him. Lasted 2 weeks then left as quick as it came

1 Like

Fever was number 1 with my kids. We fought it for 2 months. Nothing worked. Ibuprofen and vicks is what we lived by.

1 Like

Everyone cam be different. Nurses that did my sons test said it travels from nose throat lungs intestines. So depending on when catch the actual symptoms is whats being effected. You can do nosr deqb qnd if its qlready moved along then can show negative on nose swab. Id quarentine all to be safe. And from what our dr just said… My hrandpa has it and aunt is staying with him to care for him… She has to quarentine an additional 10. You dont know what day you may actually catch itm it could be the positive persons last day and your first. Stay hydrated and keep moving

Cough, runny nose, fever, lack of energy.

Good bless you all during this time. OP sounds like her kid just has food poisoning, so that’s good.

1 Like

Honestly I would say it varies but listen to your pediatrician, my 6 year old had absolutely no symptoms, my 5 year old had mild fever one night only was up and playing next day. My 1 year old had a slight fever on and off for a few days but didn’t bother him much. I’m sure it varies from person to person. I’m thankful it wasn’t bad for them

I’m curious also. My daughter come home with runny nose and congestion and sounds sick (like in her voice) … shes not coughing or running a fever

My 15 month old had it 3 weeks ago, she had super high fever for 4 days, along with horrible congestion and refused to eat or drink. I actually ended up buying a can of formula and made her a bottle for night time, just so I could get some fluid and nutrients in her. It was horrible. Now she’s with my grandmother & im quarantined because I have it :weary:

2 Likes

My kids have it right now. My son only has a light cold hardly can tell he’s sick. Him and my daughters main symptom was upset stomach and diarrhea

I had the throwing up and diarrhea back in May and it was covid. No fever or cough. But the pain was like no viral infection I’ve ever had. And the fatigue took me 3 weeks to over come

My son had a headache, leg aches, and tiredness for 1 day. Only reason I even got him tested is because his grandfather went to the hospital with all symptoms and he had just spent a week with him.

Low grade fever 99.5-100.6
Congestion, headache, drainage, little cough, and very sleepy.
Fever lasted about a week. We were very lucky she had mild symptoms

1 Like

My 3 yr old had to get tested (per doctors orders) but he didn’t have a fever. Runny, congested nose and cough.

My girls had runny nose, sore throat, body aches, but NO FEVER AT ALL

Fatigue, headache, coughing, slight fever…it’s always best to go on the safe side and get tested. Symptoms vary.

The test isn’t that bad it’s basically a flu test.

It could be rotavirus
Not sure if i spelled that right but my kids had that a year ago and they vomited about 10 tines each and u can get diahrea with it. I would ask their doctor about that…

Sounds like the tummy bug to me .covid more breathing and fever symptoms …

1 Like

Never did he get fever only at all

My daughter has the flue … Sadly it is going around

My 15 year old son only had a bad cough. No fever

My daughter had headache really bad and fever

These could all be symptoms.

1 Like

Fever and congestion then loss of smell

…ummm quarantine yourself…

We have tested negative for it

My 10 year old daughter is on day 6 of diarrhea, vomiting, sore throat, congestion, dizzy. Her dr doesn’t want to bother with the COVID testing. She did test for strep which was negative.

3 Likes

I guess the pediatrician would know the symptoms for covid and who needs to be tested hopefully prayers sent your way !
My son goes two days to school and the rest hybrid I’m scared :scream: my bf daughter goes 5 days she’s special needs !

2 Likes

My 3 year old had same symptoms and a runny nose that was clear n watery and watery eyes for about 2 days and the 13 yr old and the dad both tested posative the kids had short lived symptoms with a verry cracky congest cough but my partner is and has been in icu since 22nd when his xrays showed 2 spots of froth that by 330 next day was full blown phneumonia and there weining him off oxygen now

2 Likes

The flu is respiratory. Always is. Chances are it’s either a stomach bug or he ate something his belly didn’t agree with. This time of year, tho? Prepare for stomach bugs, the flu, pink eye, strep throat, rhinovirus, RSV, and Covid. Especially with everyone going back to school after 6 months of minimal exposure to anything. I predict this year is going to be run rampant with communicable illnesses after being locked down since March.

1 Like

I have a 6yr old who tested positive. No symptoms as of yet its been a week since the test. We just got tested out of caution cause my mom had gotten it and was in the hospotal and my 11yr is negative and im negative.

Had my son tested. He came back negative
But his was just sinus infection and snotty nose, sore throat and cough

If you’re concerned get her tested.

My daughter had covid and her symptoms were a cough and sore throat no fever

Please keep all your kids at home until a negative test is confirmed. Your girls could be positive and if you send them to school your putting a big population of little ones in danger!

Symptoms are different from person to person. It could be Covid or it could be a bug going around. My daughter just got over a bacterial infection that she had bouts of diarrhea.
I would say get the test to be safe.

Bk in dec.my son had temp 41.5 coughing struggling to breath barky eating hosp didnt have clue at time my friend who a nurse now 99.9999 percent was covid as she been working with patients since her took over a month to recover cough lasted weeks n got tired v easily turnover a month

My daughter had allergies and the school called everyone in her class and told them she tested positive for covid🤦‍♀️ definitely call the doctor…sounds like the flu…but better sage than sorry…any fever

My oldest and youngest had achy bodies, had issues breathing, coughing, lose of appetite, zero energy (my youngest is the most energetic thing ever), , fever, sniffles, runny nose. (Omly my youngest couldn’t keep literally anything down) For my oldest it lasted about 4/5 days. My youngest it was a night 7/8 days. Now my middle child had a fever, little energy sniffles and a runny nose. Little appetite. Had it for about 2/3 days.

Diarrhea is not usually a COVID symptom that is why couldnt understand the people grabbing 1000 rolls of Toilet paper

I have been married for 4years and i have a break up with my husband 1months ago and i was worried and so confuse because i love him so much. i was really going too depressed and a friend directed me to this spell caster Dr. Tunde and i made all my problems known to him and he told me not to worry that he was going to make my husband to come back to me and in just 48hours i receive a call from my husband and he was appealing that i should come back to the house. i have never in my life believe in spell and but now it have just helped me and i am now so happy. All Thanks to him and if you also want to have your Husband back or your lover to yourself here !! his email Address. babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail. com or you can reach him on via WhatsApp mobile number or call him on +2348143581382 i am so happy to testify of your work and kindness Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE