Am I being to hard with my 16 yrs old son?

You are inthe wrong… he’s 16 not 21. Let him be a kid. A 16yr old and a 7yr old shouldn’t share a room in the first place.

9 Likes

Reading that was rough, second hes only 16, so why would you charge him for a room. Third, where exactly would you put the 7yr old if you did give him his own room? Fourth, you said hes a good kid, and he pays you 150 weekly, so thats 600 a month right there, so im confused asf on that part

18 Likes

I can’t even believe you want rent from a CHILD

7 Likes

Ummm I would never charge my kid to live in my house. I have a 18 and 14 year old. Both still live at home. I bought my 18 year old a car. He is on my cell phone plan, I pay his car insurance. He works but doesn’t give me anything. I want my kids to know my door is always open for them.

5 Likes

Umm yes you are 100% wrong. Charging your minor child rent?! I have no idea how you could ever feel justified doing that. Shame on you

5 Likes

Glad your not my mommy…charging your 16 years old for his room…wth

3 Likes

My son would have a field day with this. He’s 16 and doesn’t even pay for his phone. Any money he makes is his. And he has his own room, and has three sisters, and we live in california, and I’m a single mom.

3 Likes

It is not his responsibility to cover the fees of you moving into a bigger place. He is working 40 hours and going to school and already paying for certain things? He deserves to have his own room.

4 Likes

He technically is already paying you $600 a month willingly so if he’s smart he’d say sure give you your $400 you want and stop giving you $600 willingly

6 Likes

I couldn’t imagine charging my kids rent. My kids, My responsibility to provide for them.

2 Likes

He can make a great living with “just” going to a trade school. In fact nowadays trade schools are the better option a lot of the time and he’s got a great head on his shoulders to acknowledge school isn’t his thing so he’s not getting into debt with college for something he doesn’t even want to do and he has a plan. He’s the oldest, i would try my hardest to have him be able to have his own room and would never charge him rent when he’s under 18 but he also needs to learn that sometimes that just isn’t possible depending on area and income. I’d try to talk him out of that car payment though, def try to have him look into the FIRE movement and how much extra he can make in his young age investing that money vs throwing it away to a car payment and he could put it towards saving up for rent when he wants to move out and live with roommates to keep costs down. With all he pays for though already and how much he works, and isn’t even rude to you or anything i would absolutely not charge him rent

1 Like

He’s not 18 :woman_shrugging: he can share with his brother if that’s all you can provide for him. If he was 18 then I’d have a set amount but surly not $400+ your already setting him up to fail as an adult IMO, he’s better moving in with someone who already has an apartment. No way is $400+ utilities and all his other bills he pays and I’m sure he still has to obey your rules too :unamused: hard pass for this one, sorry.

3 Likes

I don’t agree with charging him at all! I also think the 150 a week he’s giving you , either say no or say it and surprise him with it when he graduates. I get rent can be high but he shouldn’t be charged to have his own room. At 16 I wouldn’t want to be sharing with a 7 year old.

2 Likes

A bedroom is a privilege? You brought this child into this world. PROVIDE for him!! He is doing plenty… show him that you appreciate his hard work. If you don’t need the money he gives you weekly (as you stated) then put that towards the extra rent for a house with a bedroom for him. He is 16 and needs to feel like he has a place/room to come home to.

7 Likes

You’re being absolutely insane. I don’t know any parent in their right mind that would behave the way you are. Your son sounds incredible. He’s a 16 year old child doing so much more than most kids his age already. It’s not his job to pay rent. What kind of mother even has to ask this question? SMH

5 Likes

The voluntary 150 a week adds up to more than 400 a month, so why tell him he doesn’t have to pay the 150, but he does the 400…that makes no sense. Plus you are a parent, he is the minor child and he should not be told to pay for a room.

4 Likes

He’s going to school & working.
He’s saving for a vehicle. He’s on the right track.

He’s not out partying and doing drugs and getting girls pregnant! Be careful or you’re going to drive him to those things!

4 Likes

He’s 16. Still underage, and you’re completely taking advantage of him. I agree he should pay for his car and things of that nature, but a room in the house?! This boy deserves so much better than what he is receiving.

43 Likes

Are you serious 150x4=600🤦🤷 150×5=750😲 why the *** Does he needs to pay $400.00 more to you… That’s just freaking craziness now I understand stand if you put all that into his saving account but not to pay your rent … but if it’s for you’re bills that just B.S…

2 Likes

Is not his fault that you have 4 kids and you can’t afford a bigger house. You and your husband are responsible for that. $400… Insane… for a 16yrs old. You and/or your husband should look for another job to provide. You are kicking him from home. :woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

The fact that you actually take the 150 weekly and want to charge him rent is ridiculous.

4 Likes

How can you call yourself a Mother! No sane Mother would do this to their child! You are supposed to love and nurture your child, not make a profit off of them!!! I have no words!

1 Like

Hard on him?
You are ridiculous.
You have one job… To keep him fed, clothed and housed until he is 18. This is embarrassing honestly. If you can’t afford the rent, u need to make changes in your money situation, not charge your 16 yr old

9 Likes

Why charge a CHILD to live in his own home. That is the parents job

4 Likes

Several of my friends and family members have 6+ kids, and there’s no way each kid could have their own room. I don’t think rent is the right idea, but he’s not entitled to his own room just because he’s oldest. Life isn’t fair. We have to take what we can get sometimes

3 Likes

Wow. You need to give him a room.

1 Like

Good lord……I bet he can’t wait to be of age and get the hell away from you.

Did you honestly think your behavior and expectations of your CHILD are legit?? I would be ashamed to post this.

4 Likes

I would’ve left it as, girls in one room, boys in another.

Seems like your just trying to make money off your kid at this point. He’s doing better than most adults so give him a break.

3 Likes

Allow the 16 year old to be a child of the age at 16!
Paying bills and stuff is adulting too soon!
Buy a house and do not rent. I told my children.
When they moved out, they bought a house.

2 Likes

He’s already paying $600 a month if you add $400 he might as well get his own studio for $1000 a month

4 Likes

And this is why ppl need parenting classes before having kids!!! Outrageous! I cannot even believe you are questioning this instead of realizing that he is still a child! Wow!

1 Like

Take his rent from the deductible that you get from the state since you are getting that for him…$400 will leave him with nothing and he won’t be able to buy his car. Jesus.

1 Like

Wow I have 15 year old son. Couldn’t imagine charging him for rent. He works and keeps all his money and on his own puts it in savings. If he was over 18 years I could see charging for rent. This is his time to save and not worry about bills til later

1 Like

Your responsibility, not his!

1 Like

You’re wanting your almost 13 year old to have her own room and not share with a girl near her age but a 16 year old to share with a 7 year old? You already get $600 a month from your 16 year old and that isn’t enough you want $400 more for a room. SMH you are putting a lot of pressure on this young man.

5 Likes

He’s already paying you enough for a studio apt in some areas

1 Like

Lord have mercy. Let’s unpack this suitcase.
First of all, do not ever put him down for his grades while still going to a full-time job when your grammar is at the level of a 3rd grader. Secondly, who the fuck gives a 13yr old girl her own room and thinks the 16yr old boy WHO PAYS YOU MONEY doesn’t deserve his own space? You are delusional. Do that kid a favor and let him entirely move out of your prison.

This is horrible!!! Poor kid.

1 Like

Since when did we charge our 16 year olds to live in their own house :woman_facepalming: this is beyond sad!!! That poor kid.

2 Likes

What are your husband doing while your oldest child is being treated like he’s to be the man of the house when he’s just a boy, a child? You’re not right for subjecting your child to this, you’re dead wrong. You should be paying all the bills but it sound like you’re money hungry

36 Likes

That boy needs his own room and not share with a 7 year old. He is oldest, he needs his own room. If it were me, the girls would share the biggest room and the oldest and youngest would have their own room. I also won’t charge rent for my kids. I have a 17 year old who works and goes to school and no way would I make him pay anything to live with me or to have his own space. That phone bill is enough for a 16 year old. And I wouldn’t accept the $150.

3 Likes

He’s in school, working and still passing r u kidding me rn? This fr or a troll! Until he is 18 AND graduated he should not have to pay to have a room in a family home, he could get a room with way cooler people for that cost tbh if I were him I would look into self emancipation if this was what I was dealing with

6 Likes

Sounds to me like he’s already paid you well in advance for atleast a years rent if you have been taking $150 a week :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m sorry what? You’re charging your minor son to live at home?

Give your head a shake.

4 Likes

I don’t understand, he’s giving you $150 weekly which is $600 a month which you say he doesn’t have to pay, but then you want to charge him $400 a month if he wants his own room? And he can’t have that room if he doesn’t pay for it….but he’s CHOOSING to pay you $600 a month……see where I’m going here…??

Also, you’re DEAD WRONG for this.

35 Likes

I’m sorry but that is terribly greedy and you are taking advantage of him. If he’s paying $600 a month voluntarily, then what would possibly possess you to ask for room rent? He’s a child and you’re treating him like a tenant, not like family.

4 Likes

Sounds like you are piggy backing on your kid, as long as he’s in school you deserve no money that he earns and you need to keep your legs closed if you don’t want to pay to house your kids

4 Likes

I think you’re being awful

3 Likes

Damn u have controlling issues. Good luck hopefully u don’t push him away w ur insane request.

He’s already giving you more than that now. This makes no sense. Stop giving me 150 per week and start giving me 400 per month otherwise you have your brother sleeping in the same room? That’s way more than a paragraph and a complete butcher job of the English language.

3 Likes

What??? It’s okay to teach him responsiblity for things he WANTS but he is 16 he needs his own room. Car is a WANT phone is kinda a WANT. If I was gonna pay for my own room when I was 16 I’d move my ass right on out. My kids would never. If he has to pay for a room so should the 13 year old girl. She is old enough to work now. Seems like your picking favorites because of gender.

What did I just read?? My son is 16. It is YOUR responsibility to put a roof over his head till he’s 18. If he’s working and pays for his stuff anyways (and sounds like half of yours) he deserves his own room. I think this is selfish. I worked at 15 and my mother never charged me a dime. I was 21 and still lived at home because my mom wanted me there. My mother didn’t charge me a dime. Of course I helped out. I would NEVER ask my son for anything unless he was just freeloading. No ma’am. You are wrong.

3 Likes

Absolutely too tough on him, read these comments and re-evaluate your thoughts and expectations🤯

1 Like

He may as well move out and live on his own :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Well considering the 150 he gives you weekly is “demanded” by you and he gives that GRACIOUSLY for no reason… why can’t that 600 a month cover what you’re asking?? Not that he should be giving it anyway. This is how you put your kid into debt before adulthood.

3 Likes

My heart hurts for your child. Wow. This is disgusting.

7 Likes

Nope your all good girls in one room boys in other room he shouldn’t get an option

2 Likes

Wow… my 16 old son room’s is bigger than my suite and I would never dare to ask my minor or adult son to pay rent for his own room. He also works and goes to school and the only thing he is paying right now is monthly payments for his Europe school tour. We pay for everything else for him, including car insurance that is a fortune. Why do that to your child if you have the means to help him?? I would NEVER do that to my child. The world out there is always ugly and greedy enough. I will help my child always as long as I have the means to do that. Holy shit lady, I would hate to have you as a mother.

Absolutely not, sounds like he’s already very responsible!
From an outside perspective it seems like you’re just piggybacking off him.

29 Likes

He should become an emancipated minor , terrible parenting :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

Your wrong. Poor kid. He’s 16 and he needs his personal space. Also $400 a month??? That’s insane.

2 Likes

I agree with all other comments!

1 Like

I feel sorry for him!

2 Likes

Yes you are wrong, he’s 16… wow you are a piece of work, why did you even have a child if you didn’t want to take care of them? I bet your son can’t wait to be able to move away from your greedy selfishness :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Wtf??? You’re thinking of charging your underage child rent??? It’s your job to provide shelter for your kids. Good for him to be working but it’s sure as shit not his job to pay your bills!

1 Like

I could barely understand most of this because of the Grammer
He gives you 150 a week and you want him to add additional money to that? Don’t use your son to cover you and your husband’s debt that is wrong

2 Likes

You as the parent are Absolutely in the wrong. What the hell

2 Likes

What and the actual crap, He works full time and in high school, he’s 16 you want $400 bucks in rent? Lol that’s messed up, paying for his own car and all that makes sense, room and board for his own privacy :eyes::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Let him get emancipated then since you are trying to treat him like he’s already grown . It’s your job until he’s 18! He’s not your daddy!

5 Likes

Wow. Your the kind of parents kids want to get away from. No kid needs to pay for rent. He’s your son and your responsibility to provide room and board. You want to make money of your own kid ? Shameful !

3 Likes

I think all the moms have pretty much summed up how I feel. :woman_shrugging:t3:
You insinuating that he won’t make good money at a trade job is a load of bs. My boy is a foreman lineman. Came out with no college debt and makes more than most people that went to college. You and your husband should be ashamed of yourselves.

1 Like

Sounds to me like your trying to compensate for your own debts thru him. His 150$ is adequate rent for a teen. He’s new at this. Next year take it up a notch. Ween him into it and maybe have him pay for maid service. Maybe meals as well. Hell, make it a bed and breakfast. :joy::joy:. But yes mom, that’s too much. That’s actually taking advantage.
I raised 2 and my last one was like you describe him to be. He’s respectful if you…how about you be respectful of him. He’s offering 150 from his heart. That should be enough.

Where is little brother sleeping since you only have 3 bedrooms…on the couch? Just curious. Sorry. This whole thing just doesn’t add up.

2 Likes

Your 110% wrong. He should have his own room and when he moves out ( which I’m sure he will at 18 if this how he’s treated ) the next oldest gets the room. He’s 16 and working and going to school and you want him to share a room with a 7 year old? If he did pay for the room, where is the 7 year old going?

1 Like

You’re wrong it’s your reaponsability as a parent to keep a roof over your minor childs head.
Him paying for his phone and any vehicle related expenses yes they are privliges…
His parents providing him with a bed and a roof over his head ia not a privlige it’s expected of you as it should be he is a minor younare his parent.

3 Likes

You shouldn’t be charging your own child for a room. That is YOUR responsibility and so is a roof over his head and food in his belly. I would never charge my children for living with me EVER. He’s doing school and working. You should be proud of him regardless of his age. He’s doing what a lot of 16 year olds don’t. Maybe get a job and provide for your children instead of asking a 16 year old for rent. He’s 16, he needs his own space. He’s going to be a grown man soon. He will resent you. Someone call child protective services on this lady because she obviously lost her damn mind. :woman_shrugging:t2:

$400 is a lot! That’s insane

1 Like

He’s 16, he needs his privacy

2 Likes

That’s absolutely horrible, you’re using your child to pay your “adult bills” he’s a child working for things he likes the car him paying for is understandable but the boy can move out for less than he has to pay to live with his parents. Absolutely not.

2 Likes

This is one of the worst things I have read on here ! That’s horrible he is a 16 year old child housing is 100% YOUR RESPONSIBILITY! He is a child and you should be ashamed ! Charge your 16 year old for the same room your 13 year old would get for free that’s disgusting!

Not being able to afford a room for each child is not shame however if only 1 child gets their own room
Then there needs to be a rule about how that works if this were the case in our home OLDEST child would be entitled to the single room.

9 Likes

Honestly I’d say the 150 is enough maybe 200
He’s trying and 400 just for a room just for him is a lot, I get how expensive things are but he’s only 16.
If he’s going to pay you that he’s likely just going to start looking for his own place, he’s trying he’s working going to school and going to be paying for his own car and gives you money already.

2 Likes

I saw this somewhere. Looks easy to build. Whatever side the bed is open to is their side. I thought it was a cool idea!

2 Likes

Your wrong big time you mooch off him and still want him to go by your rules.You had him he’s your responseable not the other way around :rage:

1 Like

Wow all I know is this poor kids life must be miserable. He’s 16 in school full time and working 40 hours a week plus playing all his own bills and you can’t even cut him a break? Might as well emancipate him at that point

4 Likes

So you’re telling us you expect your 16 year old to pay you $1000 all together?

He might as well live on his own.

6 Likes

Wow. If you chose to have the kids you do you knew they were going to grow up and need their own space. You are the parent and it is your responsibility to provide that space. A 16 year old living in the same room as a 7 year old is odd. He should definitely have his own space. That’s an 11 year age difference. I’m sorry but you are the one that needs help managing money or you should try moving to a different area where costs are lower. Maybe when he’s 18 you could charge him when he’s in college. And I don’t think you should look down on people going to trade schools. They make more money then most people do that go to a university. Sorry but you’re wrong and so is your husband.

1 Like

It’s the parents job to support the child, not the other way around.

2 Likes

If he’s already giving you $150/wk…thats well over the $400/month sounds like you owe him some money!

1 Like

This is beyond wrong don’t have all those kids if you can’t take care of them! Feeding him and clothing/ putting a roof over his head is you’re responsibility when you chose to have kids! If I was 16 I would want my own room also especially since they aren’t close in age

1 Like

I’m confused. So if your son gives you rent for his own room where does the 7 year old go? In with the girls? So as long as you are getting rent money the girls privacy doesn’t matter? I have 3 bedrooms & 4 kids & my husband & I gave the biggest bedroom to my 2 oldest so they had more room.

2 Likes

Wow. I can’t believe what I read. How awful. I feel sorry for your kids.

3 Likes

You are setting him up for failure. The money he gives you should automatically go into an account for him. And you should never as a child to pay rent. He is too old to be sharing a room with a 7 year old even someone his age. At this stage they should have their own rooms. If its too expensive for you. Move. Find something different do not put that on a child and no none of that money should be yours to keep. I understand him paying his cell. But beyond that no. You are wrong. And I feel so sorry for your children if you feel that intitled to take their money. I understand you wanting to teach him but it should go to an account so when he moves out maybe he will have enough saved for a down payment or something. Ugh you… fix yourself.

3 Likes

First off no parent should ever charge their kid rent before their 18/in high school. It’s our job to provide for them. And him working 40 hrs a week plus school is way to much. Doesn’t ur area have work limits for kids?
I am glad ur putting that 150 away for him for later but I wouldn’t except it. I only charge my daughter that’s in collage half her insurance and even then I normally put it away to cover her cost of her books. I pay for both my kids phones bc its not that much more for them to be on my plan and I need to be able to get ahold of them
I agree with teaching responsibility but charging rent and or multiple bills to a 16 yr old is way overboard. They shouldn’t even be working that much to begin with.

3 Likes

He’s being a very responsible kid!!! He’s giving you money on his own every week, plus going to school and working 40hrs a week. He is trying to save up money for things he’s going to need once he graduates and moves out (You said yourself how expensive things are where you live) he is your child, support him and be grateful he wants to give you money every week, it is your job to provide for him. So yes you are WRONG for asking for $400!!! Be glad he’s trying to make a good life for himself instead of sitting around playing video games all the time. Let him keep his money he’s working for it!!! By the way YOU had all your kids and it’s not his fault you can’t afford a bigger house maybe you should get a better job or a 2nd job instead of trying to take from your son!!!

3 Likes

I’m sorry but what now? You are charging your minor son for rent? He’s already giving you $150 but want to charge him more !? I didn’t finish reading the paragraph because I was rolling my eyes all the way to the back of my head. Take care of your son ! That is your responsibility! Figure it out.

3 Likes

I’d never be charging my 16 year old rent. It’s not his responsibility to support you. You and your husband are selfish. It’s YOUR responsibility to provide him housing. You’re an a$$

I refuse to take my kids money untill hes over 18 give the kid a chance to get started i would never depend on my minor childs income to.live thats wrong for sure smh he should be saving for a car he can own and be ready to leave by 18 at this rate he will be with you untill hes 25. He wont have a chance to save and go if you take all his money shame on you !!!

1 Like

I hope you’re putting that 150$ per week he’s giving you into a savings account for him (at the very least since you’re already taking It) and at Christmas time you give him one lump sum. I’d be embarrassed to take money from my kids. Fucking yikes

What king of parent are you to make your 14 year old pay rent…by law hes your responsible till 18…thats sad you damn sure aint winning a parent award

Your child is under 18 years old why in the f*** are you trying to force him to pay rent?!?!?!? FOR A BEDROOM! every child deserves a bed and bedroom. Any good parent would not force their UNDERAGE child to pay rent!!! You should start caring about your children not money!!! This is just ridiculous. I bet you didn’t pay your parents when you were 16! He goes to school, works full time hours at his job and you want him to pay to have a room when he is your child?!?!?! Hopefully you either decide you’re being selfish and give him his own room like come on he’s the oldest, or he gets emancipated!!!

4 Likes

What the hell is wrong with you?!!

5 Likes