Am I in the wrong for my baby shower fiasco?

I didn’t want to throw a baby shower at all because covid is SPIKING in our area. Like we are the hotspot in Florida right now so I’m trying to just stay home and wait for my son to get here (currently 36 weeks). Well I posted my registry on my Facebook and let everyone know I won’t be doing an in person thing. I got multiple messages saying that if I didn’t have a party then there’s no point in getting me gifts ect ect. Me and my fiancé just made a HUGE move from Texas to here so financially we’ve been tight and living pay check by pay check waiting for his business to kick off so the Registry Is more to give us some help with the stuff we’re missing. I agree to throw a small get together for everyone to just come by and say hi. Once word got out more people texted me requesting I have certain food or snacks for them / there kids… so what do I do? Spend the extra money to do so. NO ONE SHOWED. And when I say no one I mean not a grandma, not a grandpa nor aunt. Not even my sisters came. I know I should have just saved the money for the stuff I needed instead of throwing the party but I didn’t think they would do this… am I wrong for being so upset that people made special requests & rsvp just to not call and cancel or shoot me a text?

240 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum.

They were wrong honey not you!
How rude of THEM to insist you have a party and buy all kinds of food just for them not show and put you and your family at risk :woman_facepalming:t3: Please message me your registry I know it’s supposed to be anonymous but one mama to another i would like to help

That is pretty shitty of your family. My step daughter had an online baby shower because of covid. So everyone sent gifts and she opened them live. I don’t think anyone complained about her not having an actual party. I can’t even believe they requested certain foods. What the heck type of family is that??

17 Likes

I would honestly stay away from them! Thats a toxic behavior ! You dnt need that shit in ur life ! Family or not so what? You shouldnt have gone through that!

11 Likes

They requested certain food for your baby shower? That’s toxic af and you and your baby don’t need that in your life

9 Likes

Sounds like some shitty ppl for doing that. Sorry they wouldn’t even know when the baby would be born :woman_shrugging:t4:u were :100:right when u wanted to not have a party with the risk of COVID right now. I’m sorry ppl suck

I’d be in rage mode… for those that did that to you, just let them be

3 Likes

I’m so sorry you got disappointed by the people that say they care! Do not let this interfere with the rest of your pregnancy it is a very exciting time for yourself and your hubby savor it and enjoy it! There will be a time when they all want to come around I’m pretty sure your busy that day! Peace and love!

Sorry, I’m just a little confused reading your post. At first I thought you were asking if to please everyone (food request) although you have no money but then you said no one showed up as if you already threw the party. When we do party we provide what we have and if anyone wants something else they have to bring it themselves.

I agree. Its completely shitty that your own family didnt show up and support your growing family. As for the certain foods/snacks for THEIR kids, if theyre so concerned then they should have brought them instead of you. Im almost 16 weeks and I honestly am thinking about a drive by baby shower and have a little table decorated incase they get the baby something. Im so sorry your family was like that. Did anyone say why they decided to fuss about it and didnt show up?

That’s horrible!!! Cut those pieces of shit off from your life. They didn’t care about you or your safety and then they speak in vain

6 Likes

Never do for others before you do for yourself/immediate family (husband and kids) because no one else will step up like you would. I feel terrible that you had to go through this but I hope it taught you to look out for you and yours first. Let them call you selfish or whatever, if they dont pay your bills or support you (I.e. show up to a babyshower) then they dont deserve any considerations from you.

What’s your baby registry??? I will help however I can!

10 Likes

Wow some friends you don’t need them in your life if I lived closer I would if tried to help you out

I honestly thought people through the shower for other people I didn’t realize people through showers for themselves

3 Likes

I’d called them out each 1 of them who wanted to come and requested food and tell them. Then heck with them and block them. As with family idk kinda hard to get rid of them

You could of or still can have drive by shower. Everyone still wears a mask but they just drive up to drop off their gift and say hi and it’s nice to hand out a gift bag to everyone who comes by.

that was very rude of them !

1 Like

I’d be pissed at every single one of them…

4 Likes

That is really crappy, what they all did!! Forget about them and enjoy , and to heck with them all!!

What’s the info on your baby registry?

4 Likes

Not wrong at all! I did a registry for our “baby shower” and just made a Facebook group for the people who were “invited” and kept everyone up to date about the baby that way. And if they asked You to buy specific stuff for them to eat at your own shower then had the audacity not to show up I’d be pissed too

That’s absolutely horrible! For them to get upset about you not having one then deciding to have one and no one show up!? Also requesting their specific food and drink choice, um wtf!? No it doesn’t work like that… then not even show up!? What horrible people! I’m sorry that happened to you. You know once the baby comes they’re going to want to see the baby, I’d tell them to F off in the nicest way possible lol. If it were me I’d say I’m just too busy lol.

What’s your registry? Maybe I can help with some stuff

Hell naw I would have been mad asf u could have saved your coins

What’s your registry name sis?

1 Like

You are not in the wrong. They are being rude and selfish. You are trying to protect yourself and baby.

Since when do you throw you own baby shower. I thought someone else was supposed to host it.

5 Likes

When ur bundle of joy arrives don’t answer their calls it don’t let any of them over for a long time and when asked respond with its my responsibility to keep him safe so I did what I did and keep it moving

8 Likes

If they want something special to eat tell them to bring it. Its not about them

2 Likes

Do a drive by baby shower…just invite family or friends that willing come by…give out little treat like cookies or cupcakes…nice and simple…good luck congratulations on your new bundle of joy…Texas resident

Post Your Registry Here, Let Us Help You.

14 Likes

Also, I’m Very Sorry That This Happened To You.

1 Like

As a first mom to be with no family except my husband family i know how you feel. I to is very iffy on having one cause i dont talk to his family like that and his mom and sister gets mad every time i said no baby shower cause im also tight on money just very frustrating with everything so i know exactly what you’re going through

people suck! that’s worse than people not even bothering to rsvp oh that gets under my skin.
so please post your registry I would love to help you out!

Having children will wake you up to who in your family is loyal to you. And if you think they love your kids its not true… its rubbish! Thank God for your husband xo but in the end you are the one who has this mum!

Post the registry here and cut those ppl off

3 Likes

A friend of my daughter’s moved to Missouri and she had a virtual baby shower life and we bought gifts and either sent them to her house or ahe just picked them up from Target . Not sure why it had to be in person. The virtual was still fun and she got what she needed

2 Likes

Following for registry name :yellow_heart:

1 Like

That is so rude of your family… in Canada not one person got to have an in person baby shower. All my high school friend literally just posted the registry on Facebook and everyone helped out. Your family shows so selfish. Like a baby shower is for the BABY. The baby needs that stuff. You aren’t just asking for endow gifts you asking for some damn support. I literally would cut everyone off. Have fun seeing MY baby when you can’t even show up for the party they wanted like hahha i would be pissed

Following for the registry.

1 Like

So sorry. Would be happy to get you gift from registry. If you message me info. Hope you have a beautiful healthy baby. God bless and you were totally right to not want baby shower :pray: with all that’s going on.

Virtual is the way to go

Post the registry. If love to get you something

3 Likes

You are not wrong!! Its your choice, and the gift is not an obligation for you to throw a party in order for you to receive one… they are rude and very selfish!! Im sorry you are put thru this during your pregnancy…

6 Likes

You are not wrong!!! That’s messed up!

2 Likes

Ggggiiiirrrllll you are not in the wrong to be mad, that is low. Post your registry

5 Likes

Yes, post your registry. They were wrong not you.

5 Likes

They were 100% wrong. That is absolutely terrible that nobody showed. Like girl post your registry. We’ve got your back.

Following for registry

2 Likes

Honestly I would have just quit talking to everybody because they didn’t have the respect enough to let you do what you want to do whined like a little babies you gave in to make everybody happy and then they turn around and didn’t show honestly that’s just bull crap I would be highly pissed off.

I’m 35 weeks and mad for you!!!

1 Like

Post registry here :blue_heart:

1 Like

I’m only 25 weeks and tons of people have asked for my registry and nothings been purchased except a few little things. I started buying things myself. I don’t have the time or emotional bandwidth to wait on other people to maybe help with things we need. I would have not been catering to other people and their kids. It’s YOUR shower. You should not have to make sure everyone else is taken care of. A baby shower is something people to to celebrate that baby. It’s about you, your partner and your child. I hope things turn around Mama.

2 Likes

Jesus christ. That’s awful. I am so sorry.

I would be cutting ALOT of people out. If they can not respect you pregnant they will not respect you period and this is to show problems to come with all these people. Now it will be super hard to cut them out. I won’t lie. It took me a long time to cut my toxic family out from me and my daughter and some of that I am paying for and my daughter had to pay for because I wasn’t strong enough. But please please please do not make my same mistake. It will be super hard but you got your husband beside you and you can do this. Because you are totally in the right for being mad. They should of respected your wishes to begin with. My bestie just had my god son a few months ago and had to make similar choices. This is your child and they just ruined what was meant to be something special for you. I hope things get better for you!

My question is why are you throwing and hosting your own baby shower and footing the cost of things? Family or friends should be the ones doing this. This is supposed to be a happy unstressful time for you. If they know the financial struggles they should be willing to help get things off your registry that you will need for the baby. You shouldn’t have to cater to anyone’s special requests or complaints via text; I say f them all!

9 Likes

Why is there still NO baby registry!??

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum.

1 Like

They be waitjng a while to see baby then. That’s awful especially in this day and age

16 Likes

So you only throw a party to get gifts no wonder no one come

7 Likes

You are not wrong to be upset, what a bunch of …… well you know.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to let anyone see the baby. (Covid or not) I’m not sure I would even tell them; when it comes.

19 Likes

People don’t RSVP anymore. They lack manners. Ive dealt with similar problems when my kids would have birthday parties. Or they would invite the whole damn family. People are horrible. Just leave them alone. You will be better off

They suck!! I definitely wouldn’t be talking to anyone of them for a long time!! How rude!!!

13 Likes

is there any thing you can do as your going to need money for when baby here to :frowning: so sorry no one showed selfish of them if you ask me can you get small bits each pay check is it important things your missing xx

What a bunch of douche canoes, very tacky and immature of them. :roll_eyes: You are doing exactly what you should be doing in this terrible pandemic, making the best choice for you and your baby. Best wishes for you and your bundle of joy. :heart:

7 Likes

I’d rip them a new one and until they reimburse they get zero contact.

1 Like

Their actions speak louder than words…consider it a price paid to find out what kind of people they really are. Look for better friends and people to eventually become your family.

5 Likes

You should’ve just stuck with your plan. Always listen to your instincts and make choices for you. That’s how you avoid being hurt by others actions. Did anyone send a gift? I’m sorry it sounds very hurtful.

Any normal person would be upset by this. When they want to see your precious son I would remind them that family and friends show up when you need them, especially considering you threw a party you didn’t want to make them happy just for nobody to show up. That’s pretty shitty. I hope things get better and this doesn’t dampen your joy when you finally welcome your son into the world. You’ve got this mama :muscle::heart::bouquet:

7 Likes

Not wrong in the slightest to be upset. I’d tell them the only people allowed to see baby after is the ones who showed. They’ll figure it out or their loss

2 Likes

Girl you need new friends, and family :slightly_frowning_face: what kind of friends request specific food for a party.
No, no, no, I would be very upset, let me tell you they are not your friends

I had that happen with my second 2 kids. It felt pretty shitty.

They should respect your decision. They’re being
a-holes since your reasoning is valid

Girl you need some new friends. :weary: I cancelled mine last minute and sooo many people bought stuff off of registry and sent it directly to my house. You are not wrong at all. If they want to meet the baby one day, they can contribute towards a diaper fund or gift of some sort.

I don’t blame you at all! Do you have a cashapp? Girl I’ll send you some money for a gift for the little one! I know times like these are extremely hard and maybe some of these other mothers would like to help.

First of all you shouldn’t have been throwing your own baby shower. Your best friend or your mother or your mother-in-law even the two mothers together, somebody like that should have thrown it for you because that’s a big deal.
I would be more than upset I would be really pissed I don’t think I’d be talking to those people for quite a long time. And I don’t blame you at all for not wanting to have a shower at all because of covid. They should have respected your decision in the very beginning. I’m really sorry this happened to you this is supposed to be a really happy time for you. Don’t let it get you down you just saw the true colors of a lot of people that’s all. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is wonderful and that you have an amazing birth of your child.:heart:

I would have been very upset. Especially since they all threw such a fit about you having a shower and having the food and then being rude by just not showing up.

5 Likes

Who request specific food at YOUR shower? That was you first insight that they didn’t care about you or the baby. Cut them off and don’t think twice about it

True example of toxic friends & family !!

6 Likes

Everybody would feel it, how are they upset about you not throwing a shower then don’t show up when you do. I’m sorry sweetie family and friends can suck sometimes

Your not in the wrong for being upset… your family and friends are wrong! They did not respect yours or your husbands wishes. They made you guys feel horrible and made you throw a shower. To top it off they requested special food to accommodate them. You had no obligation to do so. We are in a freakin pandemic. All you are trying to do is stay safe. You have every right to be mad.

4 Likes

I would be pissed and a mass message would go out to everyone that rsvped and then didn’t bother to show. I would be telling them all that you accommodated their request for a baby shower instead of just doing your registry (which cost you money that you needed for other things) and they are all horrible people for standing you up and making things that much harder for you before baby gets here. Tell them all they showed their true colors and that they can just piss the hell off and not come around once baby has arrived. They don’t get the joy of spending time with the baby because they proved to you that you and baby don’t matter to them.

Cut toxic people out of your life and then live your life to the fullest.

Find your local pay it forward site and see if people in your new community can help you get the things you need.

I am so sorry this happened :disappointed:

Well now you know who they really are cause they’ve shown their true colors.

Cut them off ASAP!!!

Find some new positive friends :heart:

2 Likes

Damn girl no you have every right to be upset and I totally do not agree with the mentality of “if there’s no party then why should we bring gifts” … ummmmm because that’s you’re friends newborn baby or your new niece or nephew or grandbaby and hopefully you love the woman giving birth to that new blessing and want to make sure she’s good??? And then to have the audacity to make special requests and then NOT SHOW blows my mind. Sounds like you need to surround yourself with people who actually love and care about you and your growing family. They let you down and your new blessing, its hard not to take personal but just know regardless of whom is celebrating with you what you are doing bringing this blessing into the world is amazing and sometimes even when people aren’t around to remind you you need to remind yourself that you are!

I probably wouldnt speak to then for a while tbh

Yes you were greed, and Karma has caught up with you. You have ended up out of pocket. You were doing the correct thing then you decided to try for the gifts and that is where you fell down. Just concentrate on what you do have , take your list down your friends and family will give what they can afford to give you when you have your baby.

2 Likes

This whole thing is wrong in my opinion.

No you are not wrong

I understand your upset or nobody showing. However (I’m uk) o really don’t like gift registry’s, I just think if people want to buy you a gift they will abs they’ll buy what they want unless they specifically ask you if there’s anything they can get. I find gift registry’s a bit greedy but I understand america is different to England

5 Likes

You should apologize for them to them. ( I’m sorry you feel that way. Keeping myself & my family healthy is much more of a concern than a gift.) Thank you for the response… Done just that simple no one needs baby gifts so bad they would risk the unborn childs health. Tell them that if they get snippy. Go ahead and Bless their rancid hearts. Keep your head up and back straight…

Sounds like a communication breakdown!

Nope you have every right to be sad. This is your family. So sorry they did this to you . Hope you and hubby and baby are happy and safe xx

So you went ahead with a party you didn’t want, in order to get presents?
Why didn’t you just save the money you wasted on the unwanted party and buy the things you still needed yourself? :eyes:
Odd.
Although I agree in that it is wrong of people to not show up to the event and you have every right to be peeved in relation to that.

So did you get any baby gifts whatsoever? That’s crazy that people would have the audacity to ask for certain foods for a party they aren’t throwing. Crazy ass people nowadays!

no your not wrong prayers 4 you

Selfish,self centered family and friends.I wouldn’t call them friends at all.:pensive:

1 Like

It sounds like several mixups one after the other.

Usually some one else thows tbe party for the mom,

2 Likes