Am I in the wrong for not wanting to babysit on the weekends?

I completely understand your frustration and yes it’s rough, you deserve your time and boundaries some way need more set but at the same time I’ve been there done that and I’d rather my nephew be with me if his mom wasn’t being “herself or a mom”. We don’t fully know both sides situations but I’d rather take care of my nephew and know he had me when everyone else was “too” busy… and yes I’ve been there done that, they don’t stay little forever and I’d rather have the closeness with any of my nieces or nephews

3 Likes

Absolutely not her child is her responsibility, and she shouldn’t expect you to give up your free time family or not.

Nope. Not wrong. She needs to figure it out.

You are most definitely not in the wrong. She is for expecting you to have him all the time.

You are totally right…you are doing what most "family " Caregivers are afraid to stand up for. Well done. You will have a better relationship with your nephew …that’s the most important thing.

2 Likes

Why did they even have him?

1 Like

No. No. No.
Not in the wrong at all. You already do more than most and need a break yourself.

I never gave my child to my mom or made her take care of him. You’re too good and understanding. Is her child, her responsibility. You don’t have to feel guilty for that. Everyone needs a rest. You too.

Nope not at all, she’s rude for asking…

You are not wrong at all … if you have said no to her and she still expects it then she is manipulating you. Remeber your doing them a favour by watching him during the week

2 Likes

Girl you aren’t wrong at all , you want your own time to yourself too shiiietttt. They have a small child that’s a part of being a parent they dont need childless time if anything they need to spend more time w the kid… boy ppl feel so entitled these days smh . She has no right at all to be upset , especially since she knew beforehand that you weren’t down for it

You have every right to ask for your weekends! You’re already doing so much for her, sometimes people don’t realize how lucky they are! And after not being with him all week I would think they would want family time with all of them as well. You are far from wrong to not eat him she is wrong for asking for more help than you’re already giving her!!!

5 Likes

He is her child. You raised your children, you do not owe anyone childcare

2 Likes

You didn’t have the kid. She did. It’s not your responsibility. Period.

1 Like

Id just stop watching him all together until she understands boundaries

7 Likes

You are definitely not wrong, your sister has to realise that she is an actual parent and look after her own child on the weekends. She just seems to be taking advantage of you. Tell her no.

1 Like

Yeah, yep her you’re only available one day a week, and to grow up and find other day care for HER kid. Isn’t it enough you already watch him literally more than she does?

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s your kid she needs to understand and doubt feel obligated, that’s too much on the wknd too she’s just taking advantage of u. That’s how it was for me too

Try and help her find a trust worthy baby sitter , I’m sure she just doesn’t trust anyone as much as you that’s why she keeps asking.

1 Like

Not wrong at all, also hope your being paid with those hours a day :flushed:

3 Likes

No your not in the wrong, you have your life to lead too. Stick to your guns.

2 Likes

If she wanted kid free time she should have kept her legs closed since she couldnt handle that she needs a weekend sitter back ups and an action plan other than dumping on you

There’s such a thing called kid free time after having kids???

1 Like

You are soooo not wrong. I am shocked at her assumption you even should.

1 Like

You are not wrong, let her get someone else for the weekends

2 Likes

Absolutely not wrong at all.

Is she paying you to watch her child for 10+ hours?
If not, you better start chargin’.
She is taking advantage of your kindness. If she doesn’t understand, lay it out for her again and again until you get the point across. You need YOUR family time.

No you’re not in the wrong! I hope she pays you to watch her kid 5 days a week! What a cheek, maybe she shouldn’t of had a child if she puts work before her child. Or perhaps work part time

It’s just like a regular job. You gave her your availability, she can’t be mad if she wants you to work outside of it and you aren’t willing to.

1 Like

They had the kid you already watch the kid 5 days a week even daycares close for the weekend if she can’t handle giving you the weekends off then your going to have to tell them they have to find someone else full time other wise nothing changes

I work 6 hrs a days. For the rest of the day and night my toddler is with me, whenever I go out, shopping meeting friends etc. Still I feel guilty that I’m not spending enough time with her… And yet their are moms who dont even want to spend their weekends with their kids.

Your within your right. Hope it’s a paying job. You might need to stop watching him till she learns.

2 Likes

You need a break from the child…and a life as well…it’s not an option…you don’t do weekends… period . End of story…she’ll have to find a weekend babysitter…

6 Likes

No. Da parents need 2take responsibility 2.uhave a family n u have commitments 2see 2.they taking advantage over good nature

1 Like

Not wrong. It’s wrong of her to ask you. My 74yr old mom watches our kids mon-fri while we work. We have a 12yr old, 4yr old & 2yr old. She drives the 12yr old to school, with the 2 littles, comes back, gets our 4yr old ready for preschool, walks her next door with her brother (2) to her school. Picks her up at 1130am. Then picks our oldest up at 3pm. I’m normally home by 4pm. We do not have any other babysitter. Literally no one. I hate asking her to watch them on weekends or any weekend even occasionally to have a date night with my husband because she watches them mon-fri like 10hrs a day (we do pay her but it’s really nothing compared to a daycare). Last date night we had was last October & she did watch them…she offered. My husband asked her if she would this Saturday (for an early Valentine’s day date) she said yes. But she knows we don’t ask her or like asking her because she watches them mon-fri.
I think it is ungrateful of her to think it’s ok to ask you about weekends so frequently if you watch your nephew mon-fri. Just me though.

Do not feel bad.

5 Likes

Treat it like work.
Weekends are double time. Double the money if it needs to happen. :woman_shrugging:t2::money_with_wings:
I don’t think you’re wrong at all. I’d just keep telling her you need a break or you have plans. You’re right. Weekends are your family time.

2 Likes

I think she has a right nerve to be upset with you for saying no on the weekends

2 Likes

She gets kid free time all week. It’s weird she never wants to be with her child. Is something else going on?

What what’s this “kid free time” thingy :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

No need to explain no means no… you help when you can or want 2 … that’s not your child… that’s your nephew

4 Likes

If the bairn is under a year old might she have postnatal depression? How often is she needing baby free time? Is everything ok with your sister? Esp with you saying he can be a challenging baby.
I am the only person my lockdown baby nephew will stay with. He’s 2 now. His parents both work and she also has to do all of her dad’s hospital appointments etc
I truely cherish my time with that little turd. She keeps worrying about putting on me (I am a busy person but I like life that way) but I honestly love it. As when he starts nursery/school I won’t get to have them days with him.
You need to put boundaries into place, make sure it’s over a text and worded nicely incase she’s not coping.
I don’t think you are wrong at all but can I ask you to just check your sister is coping mentally please. Just incase

Their child …their kid …keep saying no and tell her again and again to those deaf ears . Tell her to enjoy her weekend with her kid and to sneak in alone time when that kid sleeps like most people do . She needs to understand that is what family is so now go home and spend it with hers .

3 Likes

You don’t have to explain anything to anyone, love! She should be respecting your boundaries. It’s not your job to watch her child at all, you shouldn’t have no life because of her. Plus not to mention, she should be grateful that you babysit for her at all!

4 Likes

Say no and stand on that.She will get the picture.Sounds like she is taking advantage.

1 Like

No need to feel bad, you are doing enough.

3 Likes

Nope stand your ground. Finding alone time is her responsibility not yours. We allá go thru it. You do enough.

Sounds like a her problem. She may not trust anyone to watch her baby, but that is not your problem. You defined clear boundaries and she is trying to push them

Absolutely not, tbh if she cared about you she wouldn’t ask you to do any more than what you have to, I use to watch 3kids through out the week, and I dreaded when they asked for a weekend. Gotta have a break sometimes. She needs to respect you, your boundaries and your limits.

Nope! They need to find a weekend sitter and it not being you

1 Like

You shouldn’t need to explain yourself. If you say no, it means no and they need to respect that.

1 Like

No means no! Don’t ever feel bad about saying no! You don’t have to explain anything to anyone! I’ve learned this!! Set boundaries and stick to them!! It’s hard but always for the best! You do so much everyday, put you and your family first👍🏻Good luck

1 Like

no you’re not wrong. you are allowed to say no, you don’t need qny excuses to say no. no is a complete sentence.

She can find a weekend babysitter if she wants to go out . Don’t feel guilty.

I think you know the answer to your own question, and just want some reassurance. Well, I (and clearly others) are here to reassure you that you are NOT being unreasonable. Personally, I would tell her to back the hell off this weekend crap and adjust her attitude or else she’ll be needing to find someone for both weekENDS and weekDAYS. Talk about entitled.

Shoot anything over 8hrs a day you should be getting overtime paid…and charge her double time for weekends…you’ll see how fast that shit changes

Wow. She sounds ungrateful. What’s gonna happen when she finally makes you mad enough to tell her you won’t watch him during week. She needs to learn how to stay home and raise her baby. She’s gone 10+hours a day from him 5 days a week? She sounds spoiled and selfish and like she wants someone else to do all the caretaking for her baby

4 Likes

The cheek of her to get upset with you for not babysitting for her. She chose to have a baby. I literally never go out. Its very seldom I get time alone with my husband to go out. Not because I don’t want to I would love it. The thing is we chose to have our two daughters. They absolutely hate when I leave them and I hate leaving them because I don’t want them upset. The baby isn’t even one and they are gone for basically all of his/her day. They should want to spend the weekend with the baby. They can make time for each other when the baby is in bed or when someone is free to watch him/her for a few hours. This whole expecting you to drop stuff for them when you have your own kids is a joke.

No, you’re not wrong. Tell them it’s not an option period.

Sounds like she needs to figure out how to spend quality time with her own child 🤷

2 Likes

Stand on your NO. They decided to have a baby or babies, they should know how to care for their babies without making you feel bad. You’ve sacrifices enough time for them already, do they want to ki.ll you with stress while they have kid-free time at your expense? Would they be willing to spend that much time if it was the other way around?

Definitely not wrong and I don’t think you realise how gracious you already are. Baby came out of your sisters v j j not yours and I’m sure you have done a awesome job with your own. How about saying you would like to stop altogether (hypothetically speaking) and they might appreciate what you already do. You’re a very lovely person for what you do though, just saying :wink:

No you need your immediate family time .

1 Like

You are not wrong. She is for demanding so much of you and not respecting the fact that you need time for yourself too.

3 Likes

You watch him 5 days a week, so you work 5 days a week just like her and she gets weekends off and expects you not too, that’s sad, you are not wrong watching him is your “9-5 job” you deserve your weekend off

I think the first question is are you being paid to watch your nephew Monday through Friday? Do you live with them? You’re not wrong for wanting the weekends to yourself. That’s your time. But if she is paying you and she wants personal time on the weekend and you you say yes… The fee should be double.

You’re not wrong at all. She’s the parent, she/they need to figure this out. My husband and I live 6 hours from our family. We pay daycare for our baby, and due to staffing issues I get my older child on and off the bus while working from home, on my breaks. Hubby and I usually average 1 or 2 date nights a YEAR!

Not wrong at all. If you’re watching the kid 10 hours a week, are these during day hours? If so, he’s seeing you for 10 hours, going home eating and going to bed? Then she wants you to take him for the weekend days, too? If so, you’re pretty much raising her kid. She and her husband need to spend time with the child. What’s going to happen when the new baby is born? I would stick my ground here and not give in. You need kid free time too :woman_shrugging:

Your watching the kid 10+ hours a day 5 days a week and she still wants you to do weekends for kid free time? Her entire week is kid free! She’s a cheeky cow tbh

2 Likes

If she wants the baby by you 7 days a week, is it her baby or yours? You are not in the wrong for setting a boundary that the weekends are for your children and family.

They chose to have a baby, they need to learn that “kid-free” time is not a weekly right. It’s a rare-ish event. And the average person does not use their daycare provider to watch their child when they want that, they hire a weekend babysitter and they pay them. It’s part of parenting. And when do they think that you deserve any kid free time? Do they offer to take your kids on weekends so you can have some?

Don’t let her make you feel guilty. She’s a mother, and that should be her priority. Sounds like she’s still making herself the priority

Give her a list of caregiving resources and ask her w why she doesn’t ask anyone else in their extended family to watch him. And talk to the dad as well—he’s a parent too and should take some responsibility. Maybe every time she asks just say, “you know we’ve talked about this and you know my answer.”

4 Likes

Start charging premium weekend prices $100 an hour lol

2 Likes

Its very unlikely your week day sitter is the same as the weekend sitter your not wrong you just say I no longer available for weekends and don’t answer the door.

You are not wrong…she is… Just say NO and stick with it. He is her child…not yours.

1 Like

Take your time off . Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

No I don’t think your wrong. You need time for you

1 Like

She is taking advantage of you.

2 Likes

“No” is a complete sentence with no additional explanation necessary.

2 Likes

You are not wrong. Raise your price now though. We all know you’ll have to watch him AND the new baby for no extra money.

1 Like

Im gonna say not wrong at all! I mean, do they pay you to watch him through the week? Not saying they should pay normal child care rates, but do they at least give you something?

If they do pay you, it’s just like working a normal job. If your hours are M-F 8am-6pm, then those are your hours… just like when I get off work Friday, I’m not going into work on Saturday/Sunday.

If they don’t pay you and you do this just to have time with your nephew/help them out, then they have zero right to be mad at all.

On a side note, if they want “kid-free” time, they shouldn’t have had a kid. If you think about it, they already have limited time with their own child… if you have him 50 hours a week, and he’s under the age of one, chances are they pick him up through the week, take him home, feed him, bath him and put him to bed… so they get maybe 8 hours a week and then weekends with him.

I think they’re in for a rude awakening… they have 17 more years until he’s an adult, and parenting doesn’t even stop at 18.

Stand your ground. If they keep throwing attitude at you, give them a two week notice to find other child care. I understand that you love your nephew, but you don’t need to be used and abused!

Take your weekend, not your responsibility it’s the parents they want child free time let them sort it out for themselves.

3 Likes

Nope you’re not wrong. I refuse to watch anyones kids but my own. I have my own kids to deal with and im not being bothered with someone else’s kids. Nope, nope and nope.

Good woman. I have had to parent my own children since birth. I don’t remember my last date maybe my wedding day 4 years ago lmfao I can literally say I’m going to walk out in traffic but I’m mom so I stay. I think straight up mom’s need to stop watching their grandkids so much for free. Time for your kid to step up date nights stopped when they decided to have kids. Time for the next phase in life. Raising a family and waiting the next 20 years for a much needed vacation to appreciate. I current am a sahm of almost 4 girls 7,6,2.5 and due in may. My mom’s retired in Florida

Poor child. What kind of mom does this? You’re too nice. Time she puts baby as priority.

1 Like

No weekends u do enough weekends for ur own kids don’t feel bad she make a decision to have kids so she wouldn’t be able to be kids free in the weekends all the times so she has a problem not you

1 Like

Maybe you need to remind her who the mother is

1 Like

Where’s their parents? Why don’t they want to see this child? Not your responsibility to raise and care for her child 7 days s week. Don’t feel quilty or responsibility for her child. Sit both parents down and tell them exactly how it is calmly and tell them if it isn’t going to be this way find a new babysitter all together. Don’t let them take advantage of you, you have a family and a life also. They chose having this child so take the responsibility that comes with it, if not planned then accept it and take the responsibility that comes with it. Grow up and be an adult. That’s the trouble with young people today, parents wanted to make their kids lives easy and do everything for them, guess what, they’ll have to do everything for them as adults, that’s including raising their kids. Put a stop to it NOW and start enjoying your nephew instead of raising him.

6 Likes

if you are babysitting during the week and get paid this is a job your weekends are your own… at some point she has to spend quality time with her child. Don’t give in to her demands .

5 Likes

You are absolutely NOT in the wrong!!! Keeping their baby 50 hours a week is more than a full time job and you shouldn’t be asked to work the weekend too. You need time to rest and be focused on your own family

5 Likes

You’re not wrong. She needs to respect those boundaries

1 Like

You are not wrong. I have to tell my daughters no sometimes. That is not your child and you are not obligated to watch him when you don’t want too! She very lucky to have you watch him during the week. You would think they would want to spend as much time on the weekend with their child as they can.

6 Likes

You are NOT wrong at all! Just because she’s family, does not mean that you have to sacrifice your own life to help her out! Do not feel bad for saying no AT ALL! You’re away from your family for most of the week, you deserve to have your time on the weekends! Shoot, I work M-F and if my job needed me on the weekends, I would NOT feel bad saying no! You need your down time. Stand up to her and put your foot down. Seems like your nephews parents need to start being PARENTS and taking care of their own child. If they need babysitters all the time, then maybe they shouldn’t of had a kid :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Just say no and stick with it

3 Likes

Tell her you have already made plans.

1 Like

Your doing more than enough during week. She needs to find someone else and if they work during week mon-Friday. Why do they need a weekend sitter ? If moneys issue for them they need to work diff shifts on weekend then someone is home. I helped my sister too when my nephew was little I gave her schedule that worked best around my work etc. never a problem so she seems to be taking advantage. Anyone getting help would respect YOUR schedule.

3 Likes

Definitely not wrong, i don’t understand why she would not want him on the weekends if she barely sees him during the week

5 Likes

and you need to tell her you also need the weekends for family time with your family, or just to rest, or do the things you want to do, even if that is nothing, that is your time, And don’t feel bad

2 Likes

No.
But I have a question in return…are you being paid for babysitting you nephew for 50+ hours a week? Coz dang, you damn well should be!

Do you live with them? If not no means no :no_good_woman:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

I don’t think you’re wrong. You established boundaries and it’s on her if she can’t respect that. You’re not the kid’s mom, you deserve breaks too

3 Likes

no u r not in the wrong u need ur family time or time to do wut u need to do ect.

She’s just a young mom who hasn’t learned how to balance baby and free time yet. You’re not wrong, yet she’s not wrong for asking either. She’s just desperately trying to juggle work and mom life. Maybe help her find a back up? Do you know any trustworthy people you can introduce her to? She’s probably not sure where to look.

2 Likes