Am I in the wrong?

Hell paying the mortgage and power is more important to me! They have a roof over their head and running lights & water! You claim one and let him claim one…simple!

7 Likes

You guys file separately? Why not just file together?

2 Likes

He is the provider… you are a TEAM… not gonna lie you’re coming off entitled

5 Likes

Tbh no your not wrong…when it comes to the kids BOTH OF YOU PAY. How have you been doing this for 10 years? Do not get married… qnd his just now asking to claim them? Are you serious? I don’t blame for you thinking the way you do. People gotta understand EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT. Every relationship is different. Feel free to pm me I’ll be here

Haha we would have ours both done claiming her and our tax person would submit whoever gets back more claiming our daughter.
Thats the logical thing to do especially if your in a relationship and not married but share kids.
I’d see your point only of he wasn’t their bio dad. But yeah this seems really petty and maybe if your fighting like this over taxes, there’s a bigger problem here…
Prayers and positive vibes your way :raised_hands:

A roof over their heads, hot water, AC and heat. That is for the kids, too. Why does it matter? 10 years into a Relationship you should probably be splitting income by now.

3 Likes

You both pay for the household. So are you saying the mortgage, use of a car, electricity are not a child’s necessity? It’s terrible to hear you guys don’t already share the childcare tax knowing that you both put in pretty equally for the kids necessities. You both could also claim one kid each if you’re going to keep it to yourselves.

2 Likes

Why don’t you see what the difference is between you claiming both, him claiming both or each of you claiming one and then proportionally split it with using the best method.

3 Likes

When me and my kid’s dad were together we would have them do it both ways and see who got more money and whoever was going to get more money would claim the kids.

3 Likes

He’s paying all the more expensive bills… I would at least compromise & each claim 1. I’m pretty sure if you broke down the actual monthly bills he is paying the larger portion of them.

9 Likes

Also, have fun if y’all end up in court for child support/ custody. My ex husband is legally allowed to claim 2 of our 3 kids even though they live with me full time.

1 Like

So why not you claim one and he claims one? I mean do you not think technically he is taking care of them they use the water, electricity, and has a roof over their head so​:joy::joy:

4 Likes

First problem…. BOY FRIEND… you need a husband… then you wouldn’t be bickering about this issue

3 Likes

Do the kids not live in the house, use electricity or water? He pays all the household bills then he is supporting and paying bills for the kids as well.

There’s two kids. Each of you should claim one of them.

You seem like a really selfish person. The fact that you don’t think he pays bills for the kids is just crazy.

If this is really your mindset, I really hope he doesn’t ever decide to marry you.

This is probably the most selfish post I’ve seen on this page.

10 Likes

You’re extremely selfish. Everything your boyfriend pays for IS for the kids.

1. A mortgage so the KIDS have a house to live in.
  2. Internet, I’m sure the KIDS do use the tv or wifi from time to time.
  3. Water, so the KIDS can have a bath, clean clothes, clean dishes…etc.
  4. Electric, so the KIDS have light to see, and appliances, to make food, and cater to their everyday needs.
    I sure hope your bf finds someone who appreciates him.
11 Likes

You should either split the kids, or alternate. You are both providing for the children. That is very selfish of you to not be fair.

2 Likes

10 years n 2 kids and he’s still only a boyfriend?! Each one gets one to claim🤷🏽‍♀️

1 Like

Whoever would get the bigger refund could claim them. Put it in an account for the kids, family trip, unexpected expenses or emergency. The money/refund doesn’t belong to either of you. It’s meant to supplement your income so your kids basic needs are provided.

The mortgage, utilities, car (if used for him to go to work to pay bills) ARE child related expenses. Try raising a child without those things. Just because you’re paying expenses directly for the children doesn’t mean he’s not supporting his kids.

4 Likes

Me and my fiancé take turns claiming our baby

1 Like

We have always had our tax guy run the numbers to see what gives us the better return. Until this year each of us would claim one child. This year I claimed both and we just split the money for bills and savings. Him paying the house bills is also providing for the children.

5 Likes

I would say you each clain 1,because he is providing the roof over your head,but we dont know the whole story so we have no right to judge and call either one of them selfish,but in my opinion each should claim one

2 Likes

split it if possible.!

You pay for the daycare and your name is on the daycare they will look at that when the taxes come. You need to claim them and just give him a portion when you get it back

Ungrateful much? Geez I don’t know how you have made it to 10 years

4 Likes

Sounds like you think you’re entitled to that money for yourself. If it wasn’t for him, you wouldn’t have those 2 children to claim. And it sounds like he pays everything else. And assuming y’all are together and living together, why does it matter who claims them since I would assume y’all share income? And those bills you would be responsible for if you weren’t with him. You sound extremely entitled and selfish. Maybe that’s why he’s still boyfriend and not husband after 10 years.

4 Likes

I’m confused on why it matters. If you’re living together you’ll both be using that money right? Would he be hogging the whole thing and not be letting you use it?

4 Likes

Do a tax calculator and see who would get more back. Or split the kids.
And all the bills he is paying ARE FOR YOUR KIDS.

3 Likes

You claim 1 and let him claim the other. Sounds like you’re being selfish & immature. This man is putting a roof over his kids’ heads…that’s more important than daycare & who’s vehicle you take when you go in family outings.

4 Likes

I’m sure this is just one reason you are still the girlfriend after 10 years. She sounds childish and petty af. The smart thing to do is figure the taxes with you claiming them, him claiming them and then you each claiming one. The choose the one you get the biggest return. And depending on your income, he claim you as a dependent too! Or vise versa. Geez. Ridiculous. If you are keeping tabs on who spends what, you are in for a long miserable life.

5 Likes

Raising kids is a team effort… and for all the single Mama’s/Dads out there, my hat is off to you! I do not see how the hell you all do it!
With that said, you both are doing what needs to be done to raise your household.
He maintains the big expenses and you help with the other expenses/duties. If it weren’t for what he contributes, you’d be living in that car. Soooo… yeah, you are wrong.

4 Likes

I can’t do the yours and mine stuff in a relationship. Kids involved and the amount of time you have been functioning as one household you should be filing together

7 Likes

House, water power all things the kids use.

Daily

3 Likes

You both pay for the kids. Each one claims one. Why is this an issue?

1 Like

Here’s a novel idea…get married.

2 Likes

Technically Lights/Water/Electric do change due to more usage due to more kids lol

5 Likes

I would do the math and see who gets more back for the two kids. Sorry but all those bills you listed are most definitely for your children as well. Split the money.

10 Likes

So your saying he pays for the roof over their head but doesn’t pay for child related expenses???

8 Likes

Ummm so he pays for the house the kids AND YOU live in, the car you drive, the phone you’re using to post this, and electricity to keep your kids warm. Y’all should split whoever’s return

1 Like

U each claim one lol make it fair…

2 Likes

The way my boyfriend and I do it, he claims our kid. His returns are always more because he makes more hourly, so he claims our kid so we get more back. Baby number 2 is coming in August and we will do the same. We consider everything ours, so even though technically it is HIS return, it is spent on our family. So I’m happy to do what benefits the family more. Think of it this way, more money means better things for your kids. Catching up on bills, stocking up for birthdays, going on vacation. That’s something that benefits everyone.

2 Likes

When she said his monthly expenses, does she mean he’s on his own? do the live together?

He is your boyfriend? Not an ex? So the money is yours basically either way correct?

He’s a douche bag… claim your 2 kids. Get rid of his ass and find a man that will make a commitment and be a real MAN!!

So the kids don’t use water electric or internet? :thinking:

1 Like

Huh? Why does it matter who claims them. You’ve been together for 10 years and I’m assuming you live together. They are his kids too. What does it matter? All those bills provide for the kids too! They live there don’t they? You’ve got to be kidding.

3 Likes

Sounds like your selfish. It takes more than money to raise kids. 10 years and y’all still boyfriend and girlfriend and living like room mates :joy:

6 Likes

You sound very immature

1 Like

Well whoever earns more is supposed to claim them. Do you not share money? :thinking:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: and you made it 10 yrs ?? Congratulations to him… entitled snot much??

4 Likes

Lmaooo he PAYS for the roof over their tiny heads, ac/heater so they don’t bake nor freeze, water to wash their butts etc… wrong??? Nahh just an ass​:hole:! no wonder he hasn’t married you :roll_eyes:

Yes you are sooo wrong. All those things you listed your boyfriend pays are also used by your children.

What’s funny is if the tables were turned and he listed that all off you’d probably be losing your ever loving mind right now.

You’ve been together for ten years and don’t share money? That’s the weird part to me. Me and boyfriend have been together for 3 years, he claimed our boys but in the end it’s not his money. It’s our money.

8 Likes

I’d say it’s his turn to claim both.

1 Like

Also why do y’all hate other women so much? Calling her “ungrateful”…Is he not ungrateful too considering she also pays for essentials? It sounds like there is a fundamental problem in their relationship if they’re this concerned over who’s claiming what on taxes and you’re all blaming her and riding for this random fucking man you don’t know shit about lol.

I’m not sure you understand because mortgage = house kids live in, water = kids use watch, electricity = kids use, internet = kids use… if that’s the case going off your logic does that mean everyone else can do the same thing? :joy::joy: you actually sound dumb by your logic

1 Like

How are mortgage, lights, water NOT for the kids??? They have to have a roof over their heads. They use the water, and lights and everything he pays for. Those are the most important things for the kids. Those are also all the highest bills I’m sure. If he wasn’t around then how would those get paid? You sound very petty, and selfish. It honestly doesn’t matter who claims them! If you live together after so long why are funds still separate! As long as bills are paid it doesn’t matter who paid them. I’m sure this attitude you have about this is the reason you aren’t married. See who would get back the most and split the money or you claim one and him claim one. It’s really not rocket science. Grow up.

11 Likes

One claim each. This is very petty. If theyre his kids too he should claim one. You sound really selfish.

5 Likes

Your bf is covering a lot of the expenses. If he is paying for the mortgage, it is the the roof they/you all live under, the car and insurance is to transport the family and to get to work to provide for your family, and lights are to give you electricity and warmth in your home. He is providing for the children. Possibly split who is claiming which child or file jointly. But perhaps think about all that he is doing for you and your children.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t give a boyfriend my children’s ssn’s

1 Like

Do you live with him? Is he paying for the roof over your head? How much of those taxes do you spend on yourself?

1 Like

So they don’t live inside the house?? Tell me this is just a joke!!!

3 Likes

Do you live together with your mate? If so why does any of this matter can you both claim one of the barbies

1 Like

You sound like a brat. I don’t know how your boyfriend can deal with you.

3 Likes

Why don’t you each claim one. Sounds like you both pay half, and don’t forget everything he pays benefits you and your children also.

3 Likes

So your kids don’t use water or electricity and you don’t use internet or any of you live under a paid roof ? Sounds like your pretty selfish in my opinion . How much is the mortgage ? I bet it out weighs what your saying you pay for medical . Those kids are your boyfriends ? Sounds like he does make sure they have a roof over their head and pays to make sure they can see to eat and watch TV and supply water ! Your boyfriend has every right to claim them just as you do if your a working mom . He claims one and you claim one if both are working , problem solved

5 Likes

Kids use water, electricity too… right?

1 Like

Y’all together so it’s y’all’s money or am I missing something? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I thought the parents have to offset years on claiming kids… one year mom next year dad and so on unless otherwise stated by a court or child support order… at least that’s how it was for my ex an I we have three together I got on child each year he got one and we had to offset the last child each year until he got so behind on support they court ordered I have rights to claim all three of my children every year now

1 Like

Poor man footing the bill for these two kids and you won’t let him.claim them theb maybe you should pay their half of the bills and see how you fair out…

5 Likes

Each claim one, end of story

1 Like

I’m surprised he stayed 10 years

5 Likes

Do you all live together or separate??

Is this real? This is satire, right?

1 Like

Who will get a bigger refund by claiming the kids? If it’s you, than claim them. If it’s him, let him claim them. I make way less than my fiancé and get back a bigger refund, vs when he claimed them we got barely anything back.

6 Likes

You claim one he claims one? :woman_shrugging:t2: I’m glad I don’t have this situation on my hands… I honestly dk what else to say…

1 Like

He needs to move along because it seems you guys are wasting each other’s time. Because you are obviously not partners and with out that your relationship is doomed

5 Likes

Girl, stop. :woman_facepalming:t3:
Let that man claim them.

1 Like

You claim one, he claims one. Problem solved.

2 Likes

I see your logic but he does pay a lot of bills too. I see nothing wrong with you all not combining income. That’s a personal decision. But if you guys have separate bank accounts etc… simple solution would be to share. Each claim one.

I always claim my kids cause i’m not married.
I kinda get it, but your logic just doesn’t justify it.

Did you work?
If so and made less, it may benefit your entire family more if you claimed them. If you do your own taxes, do what I do, do each tax return first WITHOUT submitting, and see who gets the bigger refund when claiming the kids. Then who ever gets the most back from claiming them, files.

2 Likes

Your kids use water and electric also. He may pay the bills, but you and the kids use these things also. He pays for y’all to have these things. My husband and I got married after 13 years together, and what money we made went towards the bills and kids together. There was no such thing as this money is yours and this money is mine. If y’all can’t both pay for these things together, there is something wrong with YOU, not him. And it honestly sounds like YOU’RE money hungry. The CTC should go towards your kids, clothes, food, electric, water, things like that.

don’t be silly, choose whichever way gets you the most refund and split it in half. Y’all did share the baby making process right?

5 Likes

Your kids don’t use lights, water, or stay in the house? They just out in the backyard with candles & no wifi like some little house on the prairie praying for rain so they can bathe?

15 Likes

If y’all splitting mess like that and not looking at it in a way to help each other just let each other go. Yalls heads ain’t in the right space and those kids don’t need that as a model for future relationships.

1 Like

Each claim one? Once we move in together my boyfriend will end up claiming my daughter and our son.
However, federal I thought with shared kids, whoever made more had to claim them if you were claiming EIC.

All of those things he pays are for the kids though, they need a place to live with lights and all that.

1 Like

From the information you are providing it sounds like you both provide essential things for the survival of the children. If they are his children too, why are you assuming you can claim them and not him? See an accountant and see what way benefits you guys the most. I hope you acknowledge how important your boyfriend’s contributions are to the family.

3 Likes

However we have a joint account and it’s our money, not one or the other… there’s no my money or his money.

1 Like

You’re pretty selfish there… I think it’s more of the “boyfriend” of 10 years that’s bothering you the most… but regardless…they’re his kids too, they’re living with you both and he’s paying more than half of their support by keeping a roof over their heads etc… honestly in this situation since you’re not married one should file HOH and one should file Single and each claim a child each… or if he makes more and it’s more beneficial to you BOTH for you to claim them, the talk it out and do that but don’t flat out refuse to let this guy claim one of his own children that he actually supports and takes care of

5 Likes

Your very wrong…household expenses are also related to the kids…they get to take warm.baths…use water…turn lights on etc and u use electricity etc to cook for them…sounds basically like u guys spilt the bills…and since u do live together someone has to claim head of household…so why not figure out who gets the most for claiming them. Be thankful u are with a man that wants to support his children…alot of women dont get that

4 Likes

So he pays MOST the bills for you and the kids to live but he doesn’t pay the kids bill? Lmao.

9 Likes

We do it by whoever gets the bigger refund :woman_shrugging:t4:

So you each claim one?

1 Like

He does provide shelter and why not each of you claim a child? Problem solved!

2 Likes

The real question is Who got the CTC(child tax credits)? Whomever received those needs to claim the kids on their taxes.

3 Likes

If you live together your common law - therefore whoever makes the most money claims the kids to reduce their income

4 Likes

He pays for the room over their head, electricity so they can be warm and cool in the summer. He does contribute to them

4 Likes

Um all that stuff involves the kids

He’s paying the mortgage-kids have a roof overhead
He pays car-kids have transportation in case yours bites the dust
Hey pays for phone bill-sounds like you and your children have a means to call someone in an emergency
He pays lights/electric-You and your kids can enjoy the ability to have light at night and the ability to plug on and use game systems/computers as well as the ability to charge any cell phones.

You seem to not look past what paying for all of those expenses mean. He has been providing your kids (and it sounds like the are not his kids) and you as well. It just sounds like you are money hungry for that child tax return and as sad as it is to say, I feel like that money is not going to be used for the kids.

2 Likes