Am I in the wrong?

Well from a legal standpoint, if he pays a majority of the bills…he is Head of Household and therefore should claim the kids. But he should cover you with the refund he receives if you owe.

3 Likes

Those are essential things for children. It sounds about even. However, if someone was fighting me to claim (as opposed to seeing that it doesn’t matter who’s account it goes into, since it’s all going to the same place) I’d be worried about their intentions. If they’re his children (whether adopted or biological) then he has a right to claim, at least half the time. If you were split you’d likely claim both one year and the other person the next. So this sends off red flags, but also you wouldn’t be allowed to consistently claim if the setup were different

2 Likes

First of all he’s your boyfriend he cannot file for your kids anyways because he will get audited and he needs to be married to you

3 Likes

Why would you all not share both of your tax returns? Hell, my son’s father and I aren’t even together anymore and we still split the child tax credit in half with each other.

2 Likes

You gonna reimburse him for the rent . Lights , water ? All that. Your kids use the household utilities too.

12 Likes

What do you mean none of these bills are related to the kids. They use all of these things.

7 Likes

Whomever pays the most should claim thrm…but why not switch years and/or each of you claim one on your taxes???

4 Likes

lol mortgage, car and insurance, lights water and electric are ALL FOR THE KIDS. If they didn’t have any of that they’d be cold, homeless, and they wouldn’t be able to take a bath.

14 Likes

Is this a joke? He literally takes care of all of you by providing a roof over their heads and food in their belly. It’s amazing how many couples on here are so greedy with their money. It’s a wonder you made it to 10 years honestly.

19 Likes

Do the kids live outside in the dark with no heat and walk everywhere?

8 Likes

Maybe look at it like if you were single, you would consider all of those things contributing to the kids…

2 Likes

Yea sorry you’re wrong. Where would you be without a home? Insurance? Lights? Water? And electric?

Homeless. He should claim them.

6 Likes

Y’all are not realizing what she’s saying I don’t think. Regardless if they had kids, those bills wouldn’t change, he would still have to pay them because he himself needs them. She pays for all directly related child expenses that would change if their was no kids. But honestly, since he seems to be head of household I would say he should care them and then y’all split the money :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Is he their dad? Lots of missing info. As a boyfriend he can’t claim your kids. Also electricity and water a room to accommodate them all are costs for the kids as well. So if that’s the case each of you claim a child or switch off years (if he is their dad)

2 Likes

He is the sole income therefore he should be able to claim them.

1 Like

Well y’all’s kids live under your mortgage,ride in your car,car needs insurance,kids need electricity in y’all’s house,kids need to bathe. So there for it has to do with his kids

1 Like

Yes you are in the wrong. Lol this sounds like nothing but selfish greed, if y’all have been together this long and can’t split a freaking tax return between the two of you something is very wrong with your relationship.

4 Likes

Actually, his monthly expenses do change because he has kids. They go up. Monthly bills are more expensive the more they are used. Kids shower, up goes the water bill. Kids watch TV the electric bill.
I understand that you pay bills too but it’s not like you’re the only one doing everything. Why don’t you guys either alternate who claims the children, or each of you claim one child.
My husband and I have 4. 2 are mine 1 is his and 1 is ours. I claim my 2 he claims his 1 and we decide are the end of the year who is claiming ours depending on the tax bracket we would fall under. But at the end of it regardless it’s OUR money. We have different accounts but we don’t say oh my money bought this. Were a team. We’re doing it together.

8 Likes

Legally he would be considered head of household because he pays more than half the costs of keeping up the household. He can’t file your kids without your permission though.

2 Likes

It really boils down to who makes more and who claims the least deductions on the pay check. If he makes more money and claims single and none on his payroll he will get back more than you if you claim single and 2. Use the tax refund estimator and whoever gets back the most is who claims the kids. Use the unmarried part to your financial advantage

2 Likes

what did I just read? Is this an arrangement you both agreed on is that he pays all the bills and you provide for your children their other needs? I am just confused on this dynamic. I mean whatever works for you guys but him paying for the utilities and house is paying for the kids too bc it gives them a home etc. why cant you both just claim one child and why aren’t you sharing that money as a unit.

5 Likes

It sounds like you want your cake and eat it too. Let him have the deduction. Mortgage and utilities are a huge monthly expense.

7 Likes

My fiancé claims me and our son. I’m not sure how money works in your house but we share money so it doesn’t matter who claims who it all winds up being used for all of our bills and activities. But if you don’t share money it should go towards the mortgage and bills that keep the lights on and with him getting it he is paying for you and your kids to have a roof over your heads! Just my opinion. If you can’t come to a common ground why not you claim one and him. Or ask your person doing the taxes who would get more money for claiming them then split the money if you don’t share money!

2 Likes

You each claim 1, every other year you claim both or get married and file jointly.

2 Likes

Talk to a tax person about what is best for your family

Do you have a job?
You have to admit, all of the things he pays in reality, is taking care of them - house, utilities, etc.

14 Likes

Why not rotate? You claim one year he claims the next

1 Like

OMG do the taxes and see which way works for a better refund :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

This is probably the reason why you’re still the GF after 10 years. They are y’all’s expenses. You should each claim a child, or rotate.

19 Likes

Wow you’re an ahole and so wrong. Just think if he didn’t pay all that stuff to keep a roof over YOUR head. Imagine how much cheaper the utilities would be if it was just him there.
You use your car but said he pays car and insurance. Woohoo! You’re generous using your car he pays for.
Edit. He pays mortgage which means property taxes and school taxes. So there’s that too.

9 Likes

Theres 2 kids, claim one each.
Look like you’re splitting things down the middle anyway.

4 Likes

If you guys live together and they’re both of your kids…what’s the difference who claims them? Wouldn’t it all be going the same place…I get so confused sometimes on couples who split these finaces…what’s mine is his, what’s his is mine…

But I guess everyone has there way of doing things🙃

10 Likes

He is head of household he should be the one to claim them. This is so petty. His expenses do change because he has kids. He is paying for you and those babies to have a home. You’re living together as a family so all money should be going to the same place regardless of who is claiming them. On another note your kids are 8 and 5 what daycare are you paying for that would even allow you to get a tax deduction for that to even be part of your reason to claim them because if he’s paying all of those bills he would be the only one to really get a decent deduction for claiming daycare. That statement just makes it sound worse. It sounds like to me he is the provider and your just looking for any reason to claim them :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

You do realize that the kids live there, ride in the car, use the internet and lights and electricity and consume water, right?

7 Likes

I would see which way benefits the whole household… I can see him getting more back because he pays into more. This post kinda makes the kids seem more like items then a addition to the family just my opinion

2 Likes

You’re both the parents, either let the one who will get more back claim them and split the money, or each claim one. Kids aren’t pawns for a higher tax return, just grow up and be responsible

3 Likes

Yes you’re wrong let him claim the kids considering he’s the one keeping a roof over your head

1 Like

Each of you claim one?

2 Likes

I’m sure he pays prob more than you do and aren’t these both your kids? How are y’all together ten years and still not sharing money. That’s just weird to me. The moment my then boyfriend and I moved in with eachother we were sharing the money. It didn’t matter who paid what, the money was ours.

1 Like

Each claim 1. Problem solved.

3 Likes

Claim one each, simple.

2 Likes

Lol I don’t know about your house but in mine kids use electricity and water :thinking:

4 Likes

His paying more then you are deary…his keeping a roof over their head…and yours as well…I know what your thinking here…that regardless if the kids where there or not… he’d still have the same bills to pay each month…you’ve got it made if your not the one paying the mortgage, phone. Electric, gas…and you still want to be the one receiving the $8,000 child credit…for two kids…your using him…:expressionless:

4 Likes

Do you guys live together? I don’t understand why it matters who ever gets more then split the money etheir way?

1 Like

He’s your boyfriend and the father to your children, not your roommate🤦‍♀️ You do realize that legitimately EVERYTHING he pays for is essential for a child and lets be honest… how often are you paying for clothing?! That shouldn’t really even be mentioned as an expense. This sounds extremely selfish and immature. I feel bad for your boyfriend.

7 Likes

Honestly he should have been claiming them both other year he is their father!! You’re selfish… I’m not even with my daughters dad and allow him to claim her. You’re ridiculous…
He should of been making you pay half the bills all this time, while you have claimed all the financial benefits for last how many years. Wow

2 Likes

Why don’t you each claim one? You seem to think your contribution is worth more than his and Im baffled by that. You sound very selfish……

2 Likes

Well damn. Explains why you’re still a gf…js. You’re doing too much. He pays where you live!!! He should at least be able to claim one.

Lights water and mortgage are for the kids though cuz if you didn’t have those DCFS would take your kids. He pays more than you do lmao I’d hate to have a child with youuu

5 Likes

Oh so your kids don’t use electricity, water or live in the house?

4 Likes

Tbh y’all aren’t married so you don’t have to do anything you don’t want. Is the house in your name too? I do get what you’re saying – If you didn’t live there he’d still have all those bills and the slight increase in utilities for you and the kids isn’t anywhere near what you pay for the care of kids. Medical, childcare, food, clothing, etc… probably adds up to about the same he’s paying difference is, in the end he owns the house and you and the kids have nothing if he chooses. But if you trust/love him you could let him claim the oldest and you the younger. Again, still your choice, don’t be bullied into doing what’s best for you and the kids. This is how dumb women end up with nothing a lot of the time. Men walk away all the time and he’s clearly saying something by being a “boyfriend” for 10 years.

5 Likes

Split the kids :woman_facepalming: He does pay for kid related expenses. He pays for a roof over their head, lights, water. Grow up.

Why don’t each of you claim one??? It’d be more money anyways. You seem selfish :rofl:

3 Likes

Kids have a roof over their head, lights to see, water to drink and shower and internet for school so yea those bills ARE for kids. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

He’s their father right? He has every right to claim them if he chooses :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Don’t let him claim them.

3 Likes

Well whoever got the child tax credit if you didn’t opt out has to claim them.

4 Likes

If ur not married then u should claim the kids

4 Likes

Your not in a relationship, your in a what’s mine is mine and what’s his is his situation

7 Likes

He should do either every other year or one kid each.

That’s not how things work. Lol.

Technical if he makes more money than you, regardless who pays the kids bills, he should claim them

1 Like

You sound toxic. Just rotate years. Then it’s fair

3 Likes

Those bills actually support your children… They can’t go without electricity and water…correct? And those things do rise because of children if they are using it.

8 Likes

Y’all sèem to forgèt those are his kids too. Why can’t he claim them but she can?

4 Likes

Sooooo… your children don’t need a roof over their heads, water, lights or electricity? That’s more than 50% of the responsibility of said children… he SHOULD get to claim them. You sound greedy!

11 Likes

You guys can switch every year or claim one each. I would personally let the one who makes less claim both and get a bigger return for the family. It should just be for you or for him.

3 Likes

You’re wrong. You should either switch off years or each claim one child.

2 Likes

I watch a lot of true crime. Let me know which show and episode you’ll both be on.

11 Likes

I’m Just confused at this point as to why he’s your boyfriend and you share children but you guys aren’t working together and sharing money regardless of who claims the kids. They’re his kids too. And if you’re always claiming them and keeping the money there’s an issue. Also you do realize the stuff he’s paying for also directly impact your guys children. He literally pays for a roof over your heads :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Shit he has all the big bills, I feel like y’all could do one kid each… maybe he wants a little extra in his pocket

Who ever get more do that way

10 years together and this is a fight you guys are having :grimacing::woozy_face:

7 Likes

…if you live with him and he’s giving you a place to live and the utilities you and his children use then I feel it’s fair to each claim one. That way you get compensated for the child care a little bit but he also gets help with the things you guys need. Because a home and utilities is just as important as the childcare expenses. But that’s just me

10 Likes

Well, if it wasn’t for the roof over the kids (and yours) head you all would be homeless. So he does pay for something dealing with the kids. I can’t believe you asked this question. In a relationship, things should be equal but I’m not getting that idea from you. Sounds to me like you are money hungry and if you aren’t in for equality then maybe you should leave him and then go to court to decide who claims who. But if it were me, I would let him claim one and I would claim the other or you claim one year, he claims the following year. He does do his fair share of bills, which pertains to the kids, so why shouldn’t he be entitled to his share? Put the return into the better good for the children, the family and the household. Prices of things are increasing by the day - put that in a savings account, not your pocket.

Furthermore, maybe you should be a little less selfish, there are plenty of people out here who do not even get a return and have 2 or more kids.

2 Likes

Good grief. Is he helping to raise your child? Grow up.

1 Like

Why don’t yall just share the money?

It sounds messy. Why don’t you claim one and him claim 1??

2 Likes

Actually you can get in trouble with IRS if you aren’t married doing that. Someone I know got in trouble because she doesn’t work and she let her boyfriend claim the kids. Her tax return was rejected.

Does your kids and you live in house, use phone,internet,electric, and drink water? Are they his - you’ve been together 10 years and they are 8 and 5 - so to be right and fair - I’d say yes.

1 Like

Yes i feel you are wrong. Your in a relationship together raising kids together. So i believe everything should be 50/50. You claim one and let him do the other… Should be working together in a relationship is all im saying. And if this comes down to a trust issue than thats a whole other conversation…

1 Like

You do you, but if it’s right, get married and claim them together :heart:

WOWWW JUST WOW!!! This is so sad and ridiculous. I only claim one of my two children and then on TOP of it I split my tax return down the middle and give half to my own PARENTS because my bd isn’t involved and they do a lot to help me out so I can work and stuff. This is your children’s father. Your boyfriend. Who pays the house and utilities and this is how you act?!? You are scaryyyy I feel so sorry for your babies. What awful selfish things you must be teaching them

2 Likes

10 years together I would assume filing taxes together might be beneficial? If y’all share children and a household together he’s just as entitled to it as you.

1 Like

I can’t take this post serious.

3 Likes

Can he claim the children if there not married??? Can you claim the children if your just the step parent??? I’m only asking cause I truly don’t know.

Either there’s more to this story, which usually IS the case, or, y’all need better money management…and stuff

Whoever the higher earner is, claims the children. For the benefit of the family… you guys are a team, start acting like one!

14 Likes

yea you’re wrong there babe .

Split- you do one and he takes one :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Your kids having a roof over their heads, warm baths and electricity aren’t expenses related to your kids? Wow, you’re selfish.

13 Likes

Wow!!! I feel sorry for your kids if this is the way you act!! Grow up!!!

1 Like

So I’m not a tax expert… but the person who is paying for childcare gets the tax credit. Also my household doesn’t bicker over this. I gave most of my tax return to our savings account. Did a quick google and it says the person with the higher income should claim the child. That being said, I claim head of household on my taxes. Everything I get back goes into whatever our family needs.

3 Likes

It would be smart for you to claim one and him to claim one!

4 Likes

Yes your wrong. What’s the difference? Why don’t you swap? Ask him to pay what you pay and then you pay what he pays. Bet his is more. What do you mean that things like mortgage has nothing to do with kids? Maybe set up a car board box in back yard and see how that works? Higher earner should claim the kids. Any return should be used on whole family. Your a family not a business partner. Shame on you

5 Likes

Both of you claim one kid.

4 Likes

Seems like he should claim them

1 Like

Do you not live together?

Who makes more is who should claim the kids. I have claimed my kids the last 9 years and they said if my bf makes more then me he legally should be claiming them not me.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to tell you this but if your kids are using water and electricity then yes, his expenses do change because of the kids.

9 Likes