Am I over reacting about my MIL giving my child bread?

Hey…my miL gave bread to my seven mo in my absence…to which I clearly don’t agree…I told her…and she is all emotional about it. Am I overprotective or possessive about my child? I just want him to develop good food habits as much as possible…n read that bread too early isn’t good for infants.

125 Likes

Your child, your rules. When starting out solids, stick with minimum processed and single ingredient foods.

5 Likes

Your child, your rules. Period. With that being said, if you are worried he will be alright mama! People start baby led weening as early as 6 months. She shouldn’t have given it to him without your say so regardless though :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Your kid, your rules. The end.

3 Likes

The ladies above said it. Your kid, your rules.

1 Like

What’s wrong with bread?

6 Likes

Your kids your rules but I don’t think bread will hurt them. My former mil gave my oldest cake and pop at 5 months.

10 Likes

I would be upset. My mother did this when my daughter was 3 months old, but she gave her juice. My daughter ended up in the hospital for a week from it, some kind of infection. I would be firm with it.
Editing to add : it’s okay to be upset but don’t hold it over her head. just tell her how you feel and let it go.

4 Likes

Bread can be a choking hazard for baby that young. I would have came unglued

5 Likes

I understand but at the same time it’s bread not candy not chocolate bread never heard that bread is hard on children.

4 Likes

A 7 month old doesn’t need nor should be eating bread. Your kid your rules. MIL had her turn with her kids to be the boss.

10 Likes

Nobody should be feeding your child outside of your feeding plan. But at 7 months developmentally he is probably ready, so unlikely that any harm will come. Make sure your MIL understands that you have a specific feeding plan and let her know what the rules are, maybe then she won’t feel so upset and you can still control what your child is eating.

Man chill out it’s bread :rofl:

24 Likes

I suppose it would be a matter of if she knew she was allowed to feed the baby bread or not, if she didn’t know youd have a problem then she can plead ignorance . But if she knew how you felt about it then that’s not kosher. Since its crossing a boundary for you.

She shouldn’t be giving anything to your child without discussing it with you first, but you are overreacting a little. At 7 months they can start eating what you eat.

Make sure to just explain to her that you want to do this your way and that you want her to ask you first next time.

You are the parent not her so she needs to respect what you say and do it

1 Like

Did you specifically tell her not to feed your child? When my mom babysat my kids she would give them things I wouldn’t but I never did specifically tell her not to do how was she to know?

Your kid your rules but the kids old enough and it was only bread.
You can do all you want trying to get them to eat healthy but on the end they chose. I did the same and now it’s Mac n cheese nightly :joy::woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

Yup, you’re overreacting… :woman_facepalming: How is bread going to give your child unhealthy eating habits. That literally makes zero sense…

18 Likes

Your kids your rules. I was scared by my mom on not giving bread to a child too early. Sad story she told me.

1 Like

your child your rules.
Had a few teething issues we with my mum over this. came down to her being old school, And feeding foods to us when we were babies that are not so acceptable these days. :confused: Maybe have a word with her of the foods you want baby to try and let her be the first to offer them. Might make her feel like the special Grandmother and set the tone for her feed bubs the right foods in future.?

A child can eat solids at 6 months. Its called baby led weaning. It’s a thing.

9 Likes

U can do as you please. In my opinion your overreacting. Most mother’s do 1st time around. By your 3rd or 4th you won’t care so much as long as they eat. You’ll look back & laugh at yourself for stressing about small stuff.

13 Likes

NOT over reacting. My 7 month old just started eating baby oatmeal. Everyone’s beliefs are different when it comes to feeding their children, especially children under 1. She should’ve spoken to you before giving your baby anything other than what you left for your baby to eat.

5 Likes

My kid was gnawing on corn on the cob at this age. It’s just bread. But, it’s your kid and what you say goes. I do, however, think you are overreacting.

3 Likes

Didn’t she raise your husband? :woman_shrugging:t2:
If your child ate it no problem I think it’s probably okay.

3 Likes

My son had avocado on toast for breakfast at that age, and hes an amazing eater, it would be different if it was lollies or sonething really bad, I think you are over reacting, and should be thankful she watches your child, just let her know, no more bread from now on, give her a list of no nos, so she will know.

3 Likes

A child with good eating habits?! Those things exist?!

Eating one bad thing leads to bad eating habits in the same way reading one book makes your child a genius. Or how solving one math problem makes your child a math prodigy. Or how eating one piece of candy leads to diabetes.

You probably have this fantasy of how your child is going to turn out. You should discard that fantasy ASAP. It’s leading to unrealistic expectations and beliefs.

4 Likes

Your baby, your rules dude

1 Like

We may over react and freak out about little things but stop and think grandmas are usually right about a whole lot of things in the weird things they do👏🏼

8 Likes

I get it. If she didn’t know, I wouldn’t get mad. But she probably should’ve asked if that was ok first. We all have our own parenting beliefs and that should be respected

Regardless if bread may or may not be okay, you are the mother. And any mother in maybe a different situation would agree. You’re not invalid for feeling the way you feel. My sons mother cut his hair without me knowing but looking now I’m like honestly? Whatever because he needs another one. But, no one should over step your opinions as a mother.

I guess you can watch your own kid so you know what it’s being fed. :woman_shrugging:

16 Likes

When my daughter was 6 months old her day care provider gave her puffs without my permission. And I was upset. 1. I didn’t want her having them at early and 2. I missed that moment. You aren’t overreacting. It’s YOUR child. Not hers. Doesn’t matter if she raised your husband/boyfriend. That was her turn. Now it’s YOUR turn.

5 Likes

Its not about bread being safe its about someone undermining your rules with YOUR child let alone the lack of respect. If you cant follow my rules you don’t get to be unsupervised with him period

11 Likes

Hopefully you said it to her in a nice way and didn’t hurt her feelings. Remember that your mother-in-law raised your husband and he survived and that our mothers raised us in a world where everyone wasn’t so up tight about so much . A 7 month old would be ok with Little pieces of bread. And I doubt that grandma would hand baby a huge hunk of bread . Grandmas tend to feed their grandchildren without asking. It’s not a big deal. But just talk to her nicely and tell her your plan for feeding.

6 Likes

Idk maybe I’m the odd one out here but I wouldn’t be very thrilled either. Idc if it’s just bread, idc if it’s my 1st baby or my 10th baby, idc who the person or how many kids they’ve raised themselves, and I certainly don’t give a flying fuck if “that’s what they did with their kids”. My baby, my rules. My 2nd babe didn’t eat quite as well as my 1st did. My first was eating everything we ate by the time she was like 8 months old. She never had an issue. My 2nd tho, she didn’t get real good with solids til around 8-9 months. So she would probably have gagged or choked on bread at 7m.

I do think you’re overreacting about bread. Naturally inclined to assume it’s your first child.

But, for me, the most important detail here is whether or not you discussed boundaries before leaving the baby? If she knew and did it anyway that’s the issue. If she had no idea then you can’t be upset

8 Likes

My kids ate table food way before most would think is okay. My grandmother said to me once " what do you think I fed your dad, aunts and uncles, we didn’t have baby food back then" my kids were eating 2 small table food meals a day by 6 months and still drinking formula as well. Kids doctor was also old school. He was my baby doctor as well. He’s still a pediatrician. He says feed the damn kids. Lol. He agreed with my grandmother. The bread isnt going to harm the baby. My mother use to give my babies ice cream and cake. Not healthy I know. But my youngest is 11 and they still wait up at night for her and they all have a bowl of ice cream. I didnt care what my parents fed them. I trusted them. But it is your child. You may want to discuss it versus flipping shit about it.

She should have asked you first

1 Like

As a grandma, did she know your wishes before this happened? I would think she would try to honor them if so. But truly, which will be more detrimental to your child? Eating bread or not being brought up with the love from their grandma and other family bc a rift always affects everyone. Yes, you need to explain what you believe and how you wish to bring up your child. Yes she needs to respect that. But if she isnt trying to do any harm, let it go. She knows things that you don’t, and vice versa. Learn from each other and use this stepping stone to create an unbreakable bond that benefits your family.

26 Likes

Depends on how well your child eats solids. Bread is actually easy to choke on if they’re new to eating because it is harder to move around the mouth than other foods while changing texture

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a big deal…I would be more worried about choking not the nutritional value or whatever. Not candy or sugar is another story

5 Likes

I understand where your coming from as this is your child and your rules. At 7months old my son was eating “sandwiches” we did BLW so he ate what we ate just in appropriate sizes. He loved Turkey and Cheese at that age lol

2 Likes

You child your rules. If she can’t abide then the child should not be left in her care. My MIL delighted in going against all our child rearing ideas. I feel your pain

4 Likes

If she knew your wishes beforehand and deliberately undermined what you wanted for your child, then she’s in the wrong. If she had no idea what you wanted/didn’t want, then just explain to her what you don’t want your child eating and also explain why.

1 Like

Yeah overreacting lol. My girls have been eating solids since 4mo and by 7mo ate what I ate and that included bread. Yeah she should have listened but it also isn’t a big deal for kids to eat solids or bread.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t see how it’s that big of a deal to cause a big issue seeing as it’s bread. If it was something super unhealthy or dangerous for them to eat I could see it but I wouldn’t cause a big argument with family over something as innocent as bread. She probably just gave the baby a snack & thought it was fine.

1 Like

Bread? At 7 months? I would be pissed off, too. 🥲

3 Likes

Its just bread :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:.

4 Likes

At this age I was giving my kids fruit veg salad scrambled eggs beans etc not bread. Bread is just puffed up sugar and full of wheat sprayed with glutamate. So I understand why you dont want them eating it. Just explain that you are trying to develop good habits early on and the modern world high carb diet is making a lot of people sick. I usually gave family the food I wanted them to eat. My family love spoiling them with treats but I set a new rule this year that they are only allowed treats at the weekend and fruit during the week coz it was becoming a bad habit. Kids are now 4 and 5

3 Likes

My son ate bread at that age but at the end of the day that child is your child! Doesn’t matter who it is, that is your child. Make sure you express your needs / wants before someone cares for your child and if somethings happens after that do what you think is best babysitting wise.

2 Likes

Seriously bread?? Your overreacting a little. Your MIL raised your husband, and loves your child. I doubt she would do anything to hurt him or her. Don’t let something small like this cause bad feelings…

1 Like

My 7mo eats toast almost every morning. Lol he has always refused baby purees so he’s been eating what we eat and he has no teeth and absolutely no problem gumming everything into mush. Lol I probably never would have been ok with it on baby #1 but he’s my #3 and I’ve learned to take his cues. A lot of babies are ready for stuff long before we think they are.

2 Likes

Overreacting! I did baby led weaning and we went on vacation and my daughter was 3 months shy of a yr n my mom still ground her meat n stuff I’m like shes fine tou dont have to. She always made sure to ask

Where did you read that wasn’t good for them? I’ve never heard of that, and I did a lot of research when my baby started foods.
But on the overreacting thing.
If you’ve said something specifically to her before, you’re not, because you did ask her not to.
However if you haven’t then it’s not really fair to be mad at her. He’s old enough for food, and if he didn’t have an issue chewing it idk why it’d be a problem.

I’ve fed all my kids bread at that age.

HOWEVER - just because I did it doesn’t mean that you’re overreacting. That’s is YOUR child & YOU make the rules.

I do think tho, if it isn’t something you’ve mentioned to her previously that you have specific eating habits you’d like for him to have, then maybe cut her a little slack. She didn’t know & I doubt she was intentionally trying to upset you.

5 Likes

Omg, let the kid live a little with gramma. Aaaaand you made gramma cry too?! Yeah your doing a bit much. Js

2 Likes

It’s a stupid thing to flex about :woman_shrugging:t2: my six month old eats pizza crusts… if it’s given safely, those few crumbles of bread won’t even come close to the amount of slices you’ll be packing in their lunches throughout their childhood

1 Like

This must be your first child :woman_facepalming:t5: honey he’s going to eat stuff way worse than bread on his own calm down…I low key feel like you being petty to that man momma over some bread ask him if you over reacting

4 Likes

It’s just bread. However, if you had said you didn’t want your child to have bread and she still did it, then I’d be mad. But if she did it without knowing you didn’t want him to have bread, then move on.

2 Likes

Way overboard here… As long as the child is 4mknthd and older, any solid food is recommended by a peds dr… and as long as the bread is in small pieces there is no issue with it.

1 Like

You’re not overreacting!!! It’s your child! Not hers. If someone feeds my baby something without my consent it’s a whole problem! Especially before one year old. Stand your ground so she knows not to cross boundaries with you and your children.

3 Likes

You’re over reacting my son has been eating whatever we eat since 6 months he’s now 9 months

Think someone just lost a good babysitter!

My kids were eatin chicken legs at that age​:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Your kid your rules, but IMO I think your over reacting. Baby is over 6mo. Nothing wrong with some small bites of bread. :woman_shrugging:t2:

My one year old ate a crayon :woman_facepalming: buckle up, it gets worse :joy: there’ll be days where you wish it was bread

7 Likes

Bread won’t kill. Heck at three they will most likely be eating chicken nuggets off the floor and you won’t care :joy:.

2 Likes

I did baby lead weaning. My second born gagged on baby food. With his GI Drs guidance we just fed him what we ate. He has ate solid foods (with exception of choking hazards when he was 6mo and honey before a yeAr). I got a lot of looks from people when he would be slobbering all over a finger sized piece of steak and he would actually eat it. He’s less picky than my oldest. Wish I had done it with both.

1 Like

You’re the mom and it’s your choice. Learn and do best by your baby. However I don’t think a little taste will ruin him. I let my son taste bagel before and today he got angry he couldn’t eat broccoli because he doesn’t have teeth yet :joy: Just keep giving him healthy choices and do your best. Also make sure that your boundaries are respected.

She raised kids in a time that didnt have any food restrictions for kids it may have been an overreaction just a little I think you should apologize to that women but make it clear that this is your baby and this is how your are choosing to raise your child you may be causing animosity when it is unnecessary

1 Like

Shoot. I gave my 7 month old the crust of my pizza. I’m a bad mom :yawning_face:

2 Likes

Its fucking bread :woman_facepalming: Bobby Macpherson

1 Like

For feeding habits, perhaps a bit.
For choking hazards, nope. At seven months old, most babies are at risk of choking on things like bread.
Don’t broach it as eating habits.
Broach it as a possible choking hazard and she might be more receptive.

2 Likes

You are allowed to feel however you want to feel, it’s your child. I, myself wouldn’t care but my now 2 year old has literally eaten her :poop: before so…
Kids are great

10 Likes

Atleast she is emotional about it that says she cares and obviously didn’t do it in a malicious way.
I would be upset if she knew that you didn’t want bubs to have it and went against your wishes. If she has generally made a mistake let it go she will be ok.
We all parent differently so our opinions do not matter@

3 Likes

My grandson and my dog share milk bones. The kid is safe and loved. Let it go.

3 Likes

I was bullied by my mother in law 40 years ago, to make my child eat something he didn’t like. I think the parents have the right to make the decision what they want their children to eat.

3 Likes

Over reacting…at that point my kids ate watever we ate just cut up in the food processor…they even gummed on some pizza crust 🤷 all 9 kids are healthy

Wait until you’re on kid 2 :joy: my second one eats EVERYTHING.

4 Likes

I think you’re overreacting the only thing I’d be mad about is missing a first and the lack of communication and permission but it’s just bread :bread:

3 Likes

What am I even reading :woozy_face:

5 Likes

My kids have eaten all the same food as me since they were 6 months old, they are 3, 12, & 13. Its called baby led weaning. Nothing is gonna happen from eating bread.

1 Like

Second page I’ve seen this on. Your child, your rules. You told her you didn’t want the baby having bread and she gave it to them anyway. It’s about respect and not about the bread. If she will do whatever she wants even after you’ve told her not to do something, you need to put your foot down now.

7 Likes

The thing about bread is that if the child isn’t chewing properly it can lodge in her throat. Older people think that if their kids survived everyone does. They don’t always do. My mom gave my son the breading off a jalapeno popper as an infant. He choked. I tried to do the baby hymlec but I couldn’t hut him hard. Luckily there was a firefighter there. If your mom can’t respect your wishes as the mom then you need to stop letting her have him. Don’t let her bully you. We know more now than they did.

8 Likes

You are the parent, it is your choice what your child eats. Don’t let anyone gaslight you. A mother’s intuition knows best.

See the post above mine regarding choking.

2 Likes

Over reacting. Wait until your child eats ice cream for breakfast!

4 Likes

You’re not overreacting if that’s WHAT YOU WANT for your child. That’s what matters.

4 Likes

If you had expressed that concern before hand and she did it anyways you have every right to be upset.
We made sure to be very clear about what we didn’t allow

1 Like

I am so thankful my daughter in law had kids before. With the twins I have been able to do as I want. But then I’m not bossy or pushy. We share Taking care of them and we talk about things.

It’s your kid your rules. We fed our babys table foods as soon as they had teeth. We just gave them vegetables and fruit over processed junk. My son is 11 and prefers meat and vegetables. He also drinks water over soda even when we go out to eat… So I feel like kids learn what they are taught.

I mean, if you have specifically told her that she shouldn’t be feeding certain foods, then deal with it, if not then huge over reaction. It’s just bread…

2 Likes

Well at 7 months grains are ok to start introducing to the child and bread isn’t bad. People eat bread and can still be healthy. At 7 months we’re eating for nutrition. Maybe thank Mom in law for watching baby and then discuss with her babies menu and what foods are being introduced so no one feels bad about this situation.

3 Likes

I won’t give my baby bread because it doesn’t dissolve unless its toasted. What if baby choked? She can be emotional all she wants that won’t keep a little one from choking on soft bread.

5 Likes

7 month old babies can’t really chew so they will swallow it. It can get stuck in the baby’s throat. I wouldn’t say you are overreacting. You are the parent!

Its bread! Its fine. You’re overreacting. You should never restrict a child’s diet. They can develop allergies and unhealthy food habits the older they grow by over indulging in the food you forbid them to eat at a young age. Even as young as 7 months.

4 Likes

Your kids your rules. Period. Nobody should be giving your baby things without your permission prior.

2 Likes

Bread is fine.
Baby Led weaning.

1 Like

Absolutely unacceptable! Unless you explicitly told her she could give bread to your child, then she has no business doing so. Your child could choke, be gluten intolerant, etc. and she could have caused serious issues without you being present.

3 Likes