Am I over reacting about my MIL giving my child bread?

If u don’t want or do want your child to have something no one has to agree with no explanation that is your child (obviously if something is dangerous than ya ppl should go against your wishes ) u make the rules and if things are being done behind your back that u don’t agree with ThAts a problem it may just be bread now but who knows what’s next

I though this was my celiac support page for a second. Yes I’d be livid, hahah, but myself and my kids all have celiac and wheat allergies.

I would prefer to be asked first. But if they did I would just say nicely we would prefer not to give “ken” bread until he’s older. And explain why.

2 Likes

Your kid your rules. When my son was 6 months old my stepdad gave him mashed potatoes after I told him no and I flipped out and told him until he respected mine and my husband’s rule he wasn’t allowed our son he learned real quick after not seeing his grandson for over a week. My son is 5 years old and still hates potatoes :rofl:

No you’re not overreacting that’s your baby not hers therefore your rules

Your child. Your rules. But as a mother to a two year old and a four year old … bread is going to be the least of your worries my dear. :rofl:

8 Likes

When my daughter was about 10 or 11 months old I told my (now ex) mother in low not to give my daughter anything with peanuts (she had a peanut allergy she eventually grew out of) but my MIL gave her a reeves behind my back and my daughter broke out in head to toe hives.
Trust me, set the boundaries now. :flushed:

She should NOT give that baby anything without asking you first. And she shouldn’t have gave a baby that young bread he could choke it’s to dry. Your not ether of those things it’s called your the mom and that is your baby. Go let her cry and get over it stand your ground and don’t let her keep him for awhile. It’s not being mean. It keeping your baby safe. I go thou this with my mom and my kid is 7 now. My mom was not allowed to keep him by herself because of reasons like this when he was a baby he got older and knew how to use a phone at 2-3 years old and would call his Papaw to come get him cause Nena was crazy. Hope it gets better

Bread is fine. I don’t see what the issue is… look up baby led weaning :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

The first thing my mum did when my kids were old enough was give them a hunk of bread with lots of butter and vegemite unless your kid had an allergy you are definitely overreacting :v:

1 Like

As the parent you chose what your baby eats and when. Discuss this with her. She should respect your choices.

It’s not about the bread I don’t think… I think it’s more about boundaries & respect. Your parents or your significant other’s parents it doesn’t matter, if you have certain rules when it comes to your kids you expect people to be respectful and not cross boundaries you have set. It’s completely normal to be upset about that. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

So I battled my MIL over sugar with my daughter. Whose now still only a year old. I feel like its still even too early for sugar let alone at 4 months old when this battle occurred.
Bread I mean I wouldnt come unglued about that, in comparison to sugar or junky foods.
But regardless if its not something I personally would have an issue with, it’s something you do. And you need to be respected on your decisions as a mother. Ultimately it boils down to that. When you set boundaries and someone does things that effect your child anyway,breaking those boundaries, that cant be tolerated. I wouldnt accept that all across the board, regardless on what the boundaries are. You should brush that under the rug and I think you are totally justified.

The issue is not about whether bread is healthy or not for your child, the issue is that she disrespected your boundary. No, youre not overreacting.

1 Like

I think it’s more of a boundaries issue than a food issue

1 Like

Just my opinion, didn’t think i could love anyone or anything more then my kids, but then came my grands. If the child is allergic etc. The Grandma should be told, but out of love. I feel that someone that loves there grands that much wouldnt do anything to harm them. When i was told not to do this not to do that, i felt very disrespected. I am the Grandma and an elder.:heart:

2 Likes

My MIL gave my LO bread and he was constipated for days :woman_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

Definitely agree with the comments above about respect and boundaries, end of the day your the mother and what you say should be final… but in saying that, I would recommend maybe discussing with your GP about what foods you should be giving your 7 month old (if you are giving solids) because after 6 months there is a whole range of dietary requirements with solids and you will need to go out of your comfort zone a bit because things like bread etc is fine.

Serious question you don’t let your child eat bread? Like ever? My daughter LOVES toast cut into hearts for her breakfast but she is 16 months old… I know bread isn’t “good for anyone” is that the reason it bothers you or does it bother you that she did it without asking you?

2 Likes

Just make a list of what the baby can have. Probably be shorter then the cant have one… And that kid will be pounding back a loaf of bread before you know it. Cause all your going to be able to afford is sandwiches. Boys will eat you out of house and home.

1 Like

Bread!! I would’ve lost of sh#*t… Thats unacceptable

2 Likes

Did you tell her ahead of time you do not want the child to have bread?

2 Likes

When I started weaning my daughter she loved loved loved buttered toast. Unless there are allergies, they can eat bread at that age. Maybe mention it to the adult but do it with lots of love as I’m sure she didn’t intend any disrespect.

3 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with bread…is your child never going to have a sandwich in the future?

2 Likes

Well I gave my 6 month old my pizza crust and he cried when he dropped it. There are much worse things to eat than bread.

6 Likes

Depends on the child. Most children get their first solid type foods at around 4 months old. So this feels like a personal choice and your choice matters as it’s your child. Do what feels right for you and your lil one.

Was MIL looking after your baby without being paid? Did you send food and snacks with your baby? I would just let it go and send the food I want my child to eat with them!

1 Like

I can understand sweets and fizzy drinks but no bread?

1 Like

Bread is a choking hazard and I feel that unless you have knowledge of a babies diet you should not be feeding them unless you’re the parent/ care giver. I would be upset! Just explain to her how you feel about the situation to prevent it from happening again. Hopefully next time she will not make this mistake.

Ask your self if you’d still be angry in 5yrs if not let it go.

1 Like

Remember that one time Grandma didn’t believe the granddaughter had a coconut allergy. She put coconut oil on her scalp and sent her to bed, and the kid never woke up?? Grandparents can be toxic and think the know better, which in turn puts the kid in danger…

3 Likes

I support all my daughters in law in they’re prenting decisions and don’t give them my opinion unless they ask for it.
It is a privilege and blessing to get a daughter in law and the special relationship is built on trust.
What she did was disrespectful and wrong in so many ways.
If she doesn’t honour your decisions as a mother then she cant be trusted to have your child unless you are there.
Let her be upset she playing the victim to gain sympathy because
SHE DID THE WRONG THING

4 Likes

To answer your question imo yes you are overreacting!

5 Likes

Anyone should always respect what you do and do not want for your baby. You are the mom.

1 Like

If she gave it to him before you said you dont want him to then just tell her not to fo it again and don’t overreact about it but if you already told her and then she did it then you have every right to be mad cause she went against your wishes and your his mum

The ones saying you are over reacting on this post are probably grandparents. :roll_eyes::joy: Its YOUR child. A lot of people raise their kids as vegans. Imagine a grandparents giving them meat!? No one should be giving your child something YOU as a mother DONT want them to have. Period. People saying its only bread. Thats YOUR choice. Not theirs. Don’t question if your feelings are wrong when it comes to your babies.

4 Likes

Yes you are, she’s had kids herself so isn’t stupid

1 Like

My MIL gave mine peanuts… Toast is OK though. I get that you might not want Chorleywood sliced white but decent bread is a joy.

:joy::joy::joy: girl bread is bread yo baby will be fine lmao

3 Likes

I mean did you tell her no bread beforehand? Older people do things differently… not wrong, just differently. I’ll assume her kids are fine sense you married one!

1 Like

Be happy your child has a grandparent mine don’t have any

If you expressed you didn’t want your child having bread then yes I’d be mad! If not I’d just express there not to have bread! Everyone saying to suck it up and be happy you have help :roll_eyes: don’t! Your child your rules! And it’s not your fault or problem they don’t have help! I personally wouldn’t feed bread unless it’s toast at 7 months as its a huge choking hazzard at that age ! X

3 Likes

If you don’t want your baby eating bread then he/she shouldn’t be being fed bread. Simple.
Why can’t grandparents just accept the boundaries that mothers set?! No wonder there are so many mums out their battling with mental health! Mums do the leg work, but they are not being heard! Their wants for their children are not being adhered to.

3 Likes

i gave my 7 month old a steak bone with tiny bits of meat STIL on it watching closely (2nd kid) n gave my 1st kid a roll at a restaurant at bout 5/6 months while watching gotta lighten up a little bit mumma definitely over reacting

5 Likes

She needs to do what you say
Your the mom not her to your child
I have a mom in law like this but I learned to just say whatever to shit she does
As long as my boy safe happy I deal with her

Hell no you’re not overreacting. She has zero right to give your child anything without your permission. What if the child had an allergic reaction?

2 Likes

Just tell her you want to wait nicely. She has to respect what rules you have for your child

Wait until they’re two And eating dog food Out of the dog food bowl Everytime you turn Around and refuse anything besides macaroni and string cheese. You’ll be relieved they ate anything :rofl:

41 Likes

Whether I agree or don’t shouldn’t matter, you MIL should respect your decisions for your child. Just my 2 cents

15 Likes

Seven months isn’t too young for bread. If it’s soft and small enough. Why do you want to wait?

7 Likes

I mean I give my 9 m old whatever we eat for dinner lol. If you’re asking for our opinion, seems like you’re overreacting but that’s to me, you set the rules and they should still listen to them. But just remind them.

5 Likes

I’m sure she didn’t do it to upset you or hurt him. Back when we were young, we ate solids much earlier and food allergies/intolerances weren’t a thing. If you ask her to not do it again and she continues to, it’s an issue though because he’s your son.
As far as the bread being too early…he’ll be fine. My boy was drinking way too much formula so he had cereal off a spoon at 2 months old and was eating adult meals by the time he was your son’s age. He’s 20 now and healthy with no food allergies/intolerances or weight issues. Is also not a picky eater so it didn’t influence his food preferences.

2 Likes

It’s not too young for bread but regardless, he is your child. It doesn’t matter why you do or don’t want him to have something. Your MIL needs to respect your choices.
If she disagrees she needs to communicate with you. Not go behind your back…

3 Likes

As long as the baby is interested in foods off ur plate it’s ok 2 start feeding them things like that as long as they can chew it. My pediatrician said no earlier than 4 months though. However she still needs 2 respect the fact that u are the parent and know whether the baby is ready 4 it. If u dont feel comfortable with giving him things like that then she needs 2 respect it.

1 Like

Shit my 8 mo old inhales bread

6 Likes

Its your child, doesn’t make you overprotective or possessive. I’m lucky to have a mother in law who asks me before giving my son things…maybe just tell her to ask first before giving your kid anything in the future to avoid conflict

2 Likes

I would just nicely ask her to wait. My son started on purées at 4 months and more solid things at 6 months. Everyone will do different things.

Bread at that age is ok. So long as other foods are offered too and a balance is met.
Children like to eat what we do (within reason).
So being upset she did it without your knowledge is okay.
Just don’t make it a bigger deal and sit to talk with her about your worries.

2 Likes

My thoughts on this… baby sitters will always do things or feed things you don’t agree with… sad but true. Your best bet to raise your child how you want them to be 100% is stay home with them

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it’s bread or anything else you are his mother and that’s what anyone needs to respect, that’s all, she had the chance to raise and you need yours.

2 Likes

its your child, you decide what they eat and make that clear to her

2 Likes

Petty. This must be your first. You should be happy she fed the child

14 Likes

I’m going to go against a lot of people here. She is an experienced Mom, I’m 100% positive she didn’t do it out of spike, and that is not too young for bread in small portions. Yes, you’re overreacting. The real question is, why??? Does she undermine you in other ways? Are you not confident about your decision? Think of what your underlying reason for being upset is and deal with that. Beyond that, talk with her, she’s been in your shoes before and probably feels bad that it upset you. You’ll learn, as you become more confident in yourself as a Mom, less things will bother you, that’s why the first we’re overprotective, the second more balanced and the third eats dirt regularly… take a deep breath, relax, no one is hurt, and then decide why it really upset you and what is the best way for everyone involved to move forward. A mother or MIL can be a resource or an enemy, that’s up to you, and how you handle situations like this. Best of luck and btw, YOU’RE A GREAT MOM!!!

18 Likes

Its your decision. Tell her what foods are and a nice go and tell her that if she can’t trust that your wishes will be followed them they don’t get unsupervised visits or that you need to take a break from visiting grandma for a little bit. I was like this with sugar and even though my mother on law thought I was bat shit crazy she made sure to follow what I asked and not to overstep. I think you are evolving into solids and need to monitor allergies and also your the mom and get to set the boundaries and they can either oblige or ignore but then you get to take space or still visit. Good luck

If you didn’t discuss it beforehand then don’t be too hard on her. I’m sure she didn’t do it out of spite. If she did know, I’d tell her again that you don’t want to give him certain foods yet and if she could please respect that.

3 Likes

I think it is an overreaction but it isn’t my child.

4 Likes

You are overreacting

2 Likes

Theres nothing wrong with you expressing that you don’t want your child to eat certain things until you think its time, as long as its in a calm and respectful way.

3 Likes

7 months definitely isn’t too young for bread it’s not an issue for that reason. However it is an issue that she would purposefully disregard your parenting wishes. HOWEVER grandparents are meant to be the fun ones and give kids extra treats they’re not always allowed to have every day at home :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:
Bread is fine. My oldest daughter was knawing on steak at 5 months old. Baby led weaning. She ate everything we ate.

3 Likes

Before you know it, your baby will be eating dog or cat food and any crumb on the floor. :woman_shrugging::rofl:

8 Likes

Wow you’re overreacting!!! Bread is fine so are other table foods

1 Like

My kids teathed on frozen waffles at 6 months and probably ingested most of that and none of my boys are overweight or have food issues. Teach portion control and junking when they are old enough to get it, 7 months he just wants food

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the point of the bread eating because he is old enough to eat solids it’s more the fact she gave it without your permission. That means she’ll do things without your permission. I would just address to her please don’t give him anything without letting you know and let her know what you want him to have. If she can’t respect that then I wouldn’t leave her alone with him… it’s the point not the food

8 Likes

No you arent overreacting. If you told her you dont want your child eating bread then it’s not up to her to give your child bread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Look up baby led weaning. My son had food since he was 6 months old. No baby food. No cereal. But I would definitely talk about boundaries.

2 Likes

You have the right to say no to certain foods and be upset if your word is not being followed. This is the age when eating habits are established and you will be the one who has to deal with a picky eater in the long run. Stand up for what you believe is right love.

1 Like

A little bit of an over reaction. I get it though. You want your baby to be healthy and have good eating habits. I was the same way with mine when I first had him and was super strict on stuff due to anxiety. But then I remembered something really important. My son’s grandparents love him more than life and would never give him anything that would purposely hurt him. As long as the grands stick to the really important rules (for example mine is absolutely under no circumstances will he ever be on their trampoline. Those things are springy death traps) and they’ve respected that wish as well as all my other big rules so I’ve loosened up on the snacks and goodies he gets. Getting treats is half the fun of being around your grandparents so loosen the grips just a bit. Remind them of your big No Nos and give them the little things.

Wow most of you people a dick faces. :flushed:

You told her after she already did it but she didn’t know you were against it? Then you are over reacting. However, if you told her before and she did it anyway then it’s an issue. As grandparents we want more leeway and we want to spoil them. Don’t give him bread at your house, but it won’t kill him if he has bread once in a while with grandma. Loosen up!

2 Likes

She’s emotional about it because she wasn’t trying to intentionally harm her grandchild and probably now thinks you believe she did. If grandmother (or anyone) is going to be taking care of your baby, and you are going to have restrictions on foods, may I suggest you pack up meals/snacks and send with your child. Nothing wrong with you making decisions about your child. Just be clear that what you send is what your child is allowed to eat. Please don’t make grandmother feel she was abusive or negligent.

6 Likes

I would say you’re over reacting. If you’ve stated already to her that you dont want baby having it she should listen and respect that but there is nothing wrong with baby having bread. My 7 month old has 5 older siblings and he always wants their sandwiches so starting this week iv been doing him his own

What’s wrong with bread.? It’s a staple food which we have been eating since the world began. Not as if Grandma is letting him eat loads of sweet stuff.

1 Like

Babies can start solids at 6 months. Some people skip right over purée (baby led weaning.) HOWEVER no if she knows she is doing something you don’t want her to do then you have every right to be upset.

1 Like

If you specifically told her not to and she did that’s a whole other issue, if the concern is the bread itself… you may be overreacting, but also need to voice your concerns to her, you’re the mom so what you say goes

Where did you read that? Bread isn’t even unhealthy and your son is only 7 months. He needs to eat.

This can’t be a serious question?! It’s bread!

1 Like

Girl I made the same mistake with my first son. My MIL brought him a cute little Easter basket and instead of just being grateful I was offended, didn’t she didn’t think I’d want to get his first basket? How crazy it sounds to me now. She did not do that to hurt your child. It was out of love and just be grateful you have another person in this world to love your baby and try to ease up. Nothing wrong with giving rules but just try to be grateful for help and not so on the defense. We all tend to do that with our first kid. She meant no harm. Always try to look at their intent before reacting.

9 Likes

My daughter still had trouble eating bread at 9 months. I know every child is different but I would have never given my child bread that young. She is 10 months and she still doesn’t get bread.

6 Likes

In all do respect, the grandmother probably didn’t think twice about it.

Your child will be eating chicken nuggets like the rest of them soon enough. A piece of bread is not going to hurt them.

I’m not trying to be insensitive. I’m sure you ate bread as a child and turned out just fine.

Do what you want, but I think it’s a bit of an overreaction.

36 Likes

I’d take it as a learning experience with you MIL and let her know what you do want you baby to eat and move on.

9 Likes

Your kids, your rules.

9 Likes

Its your child so no your not over react

2 Likes

One time isn’t going to ruin him for life. Be firm about his options in the future but let it go. She wasn’t trying to hurt him and it’s not like she gave him a cookie or something.

4 Likes

I’ll probably get slammed for this but I wouldn’t make it out to be worse than it is. I’m sure she just didn’t hand over the loaf

30 Likes

It’s your baby… Dont ever feel sorry or bad for doing what you think is best for your baby. Whoever watches your baby should absolutely follow your rules/guidelines… If they can’t respect that even if they disagree, they shouldn’t be watching your baby. You must be able to trust them to follow your wishes.

3 Likes

Your child your rules. I personally didn’t give mine any bread that young. You’re not being overprotective or possessive. If she knew you didn’t want her to have any then she’s in the wrong.

6 Likes

You’re a freak. A bit of bread won’t hurt. Your mil knows you for the freak you are. Good.

30 Likes

Like a huge piece??? She could choke kind of piece? Or a little try? My daughter is 4 months and she had a taste from a chocolate cake. A tiny piece of course.

8 Likes

Wait till the dog/cat food comes n god knows what they find on the ground.
Nothing to over react about

17 Likes