Am I over reacting about my MIL giving my child bread?

Kid will survive buddy. Relax.

13 Likes

My baby is 7 months old & has been eating toast every morning since he turned 6 months :woman_shrugging:t4::joy:

14 Likes

Lol, my dad was giving me See’s chocolates at 10 days old​:rofl::joy:

5 Likes

It’s only some bread, my kids both ate bread at that age. And they are perfectly healthy, and have awesome eating habits. I exposed them to as many different foods as possible when they were young, and now they will eat anything.

8 Likes

It is your child. If you don’t want certain foods given to your child then that needs to be respected. I agree with you but even if I didn’t it is your child not hers.

30 Likes

Did she know you don’t agree with giving him bread? If she did, then you have a reason to overreact. If she didn’t then let it go and establish clear rules next time she watches him. Unless he has an allergy, it won’t kill him.

10 Likes

I’m sure she’s giving him appropriate sizes of bread or food in general. I let my 9 month old try steak. He either sucks on it or its shredded up and given to him in very small amounts

5 Likes

Don’t let your child with her ,why you don’t was there when that happened

4 Likes

Your baby, your choice. Nobody should do anything or give anything to your child without your permission

10 Likes

Don’t let people invalidate your feelings. He’s your child & grandmother should respect how you want to raise him. I would probably just talk to her regarding this again & tell her not to let it happen again. I personally don’t see the big deal but if it was something I wouldn’t want for child & someone went against my wishes there for sure would be consequences.

12 Likes

Unless they are celiac or have an allergy then be fine.

1 Like

My daughter was eating sandwiches by 7 months. To much of 1 thing isn’t good but trying new things is good thing.

5 Likes

It’s bread. Not crack.

19 Likes

I understand being upset bc mil clearly went against something you already told her you didn’t want. And you have every right to be upset. However the fact that the child ate bread is not a big deal. My kids have been eating toast since they are 6 months old and pieces of bread.

3 Likes

Your baby, your rules … But bread is actually perfectly fine for a 7 month old. Do you blw?

3 Likes

While it may seem a little overdramatic, she needs to respect your wishes for your child. Sit her down for a talk,establish some boundaries, and if she can’t respect those boundaries then don’t allow her to see the baby unsupervised.

2 Likes

I didn’t even read the whole post. I rolled my eyes as soon as I got to the word bread
Did your child die? No…, pick your battles

7 Likes

NO. It is your child. Everyone else hast to respect your decisions.

1 Like

I’m not sure how you handled it or if she even knew you were holding off on the bread, or reason behind it.
I would communicate nicely and tell her what you want for your child and offer alternatives of what she can offer. I have an allergy child so am careful and aware but find that some
People who don’t have to worry about dietary issues don’t think about it the same way as someone with allergies ect do so are unaware.
Before I had a child with dietary restrictions I would never have thought twice. X

3 Likes

If you told her beforehand that you dont want your child eating foods like that then yes you definitely have the right to be mad. If she didn’t know then that’s kinda on you.

1 Like

Man I wish my problems where as little as my kid eating some bread…whats it like? Is it nice there? Do you have cake there? Well I guess not cause of not wanting the bread :thinking:

11 Likes

I’m going to take a shot here and assume this is your first kid…it was bread. And I’m sure the grandma wasn’t intentionally trying to hurt the baby. Grandma’s have been raising babies since way before the internet and parenting books. Just kindly say “I’d prefer he not eat bread. We give him xyz” in a year your kid will be eating dirt and licking rocks, (or in the case of my son licking the floor at Walmart :woman_facepalming:). I have 5 kids…I PROMISE you, your kid is going to eat horrible disgusting things his entire life and bread isn’t what you should be worried about. Side note, that’s what grandma’s do. They feed babies. From ever until eternity, every child that encounters a grandmother will be given cookies and sugar and crap. It’s the way of the grandma. Good luck…

23 Likes

Our children were eating table food at 6 months. All parents are different, but she should’ve asked first.

1 Like

Your child, your choice!!! MIL needs to learn her place!!

3 Likes

Sounds to me like you’re looking for things to nitpick over, it’s just some bread. She didn’t dip his binkie in bourbon…calm down

18 Likes

Just remember, she raised your husband. If you make her feel bad for enjoying time with her grandson, it will effect their relationship. If you only want him feed certain foods provide her them when you drop him off

3 Likes

Listen, it doesn’t matter what other people’s opinions are about you choosing to try to set healthy standards. You’re the parent and as long as you aren’t hurting your baby then do what you feel is right. What I personally would be more concerned about is whether or not you told her beforehand the way you are feeding/parenting your child. If you did then she blatantly disregarded you and that, to me, is very disrespectful. If you didn’t then I would have a sit down.

1 Like

Are you a first time mom? Pack what the baby’s allowed to eat when you leave him with her. My best adivine is to relax a little.

3 Likes

No it’s your prerogative as a parent to
Do what you think is right. Just maybe try to be a bit nicer about
It and remember that’s also her grandchild.

i have 20 years experience working with children and infants

I think we really need a lot more information. Has the seven-month-old previously been introduced to solid foods? If the child had been exclusively breast or formula fed and/or only fed purees up until now, there is a very legitimate choking hazard

( you can’t just give a baby a piece of bread who has never learned how to chew or manipulate food in their mouths. bread is a very real choking hazard. there are also children like a previous Nanny child of mine who had issues eating anything other than liquid at all. over a year old and still couldn’t even eat baby cereal. This was a physical difference in this child. I actually worked with a food therapist with this child.)

if that is the case and the child has never eaten solid food before, then you have the right to say “my child has not learned how to eat solid foods yet, and we prefer to be the ones to introduce them”

but I wouldn’t make a big deal about it

4 Likes

Imo it’s an overreaction. It’s just bread.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter how ridiculous it may sound to others or your mil reason. The kid is YOURS and obviously your hubby’s, and if y’all agreed NO bread, then NO BREAD it should be…and IF he were there and didn’t pick a side, then your side was the right way… if he had chosen her side, that’d been a discussion for and between y’all.

5 Likes

Even if you don’t want to do baby led weaning, which is perfectly fine, you could still join Baby Led Weaning for Beginners & Beyond (BLWBB) to learn about. Basically it’s giving baby whatever you are eating, cut into finger length strips or otherwise served appropriately. Using jarred or homemade baby food is traditional weaning and it’s fine if you want to do that too, but giving baby table food cut and served appropriately is fine. There are somethings they can’t have like obvious choking hazards, honey under 1, and cows milk as a drink under 1, but as an ingredient is fine. And it doesn’t knock out dairy, just milk as a drink.
It’s rlly whatever you want done with your kid, but what she did isn’t unsafe. Blw can be started at 6m and all signs of readiness being met.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t make a big deal about it, but I don’t care who the person is my child means my rules. If you don’t obey them I won’t trust you to be alone with my kids. Don’t ruin your relationship but she does need to respect your rules with your child… also as a mom of 4 chill out. Older women who have raised more kids than you know what they’re doing. While you may read the books and have new mom jitters they have been there and done that. Learn from her, and let her help you. She likely knows far better than you do😘

3 Likes

Get over it! Grandmas do lots of stuff moms don’t or won’t. It’s bread!

9 Likes

Its your kid so she should go by what you say in my opinion.

1 Like

Your child your rules it’s as simple as that.

3 Likes

I was more willing to overlook what my mom did than my MIL…lol maybe reiterate it again :slightly_smiling_face:

For a 7 mo old that could be a choking hazard. I have an 8 mo old and no way could she eat bread. And it’s not needed. My thought is you don’t give any child anything without mom or dads consent especially if the child is under 1

4 Likes

Definitely overreacting :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I didn’t like giving bread either.
stick to your guns. I had a nanny do the same thing. She called docs on me cause I wouldn’t feed my child bread told them his diet was too healthy :rofl:

1 Like

Would you feel the same way had it been your mother that fed your daughter the bread?

2 Likes

I feel like you’re over reacting a bit. If you don’t like the way she takes care of your baby, find someone else to do it. I’m pretty sure she wasn’t doing it to harm the child or be vindictive. She’s a grandma, different generation. You’re going to create a bad relationship with grandma if you continue acting like this over something small like this.

28 Likes

I get being upset but in the long run it won’t matter by the time they go to school they will refuse to eat anything but chicken nuggets, mac and cheese a color that doesn’t occur in nature and tacos sans anything remotely resembling a vegetable and the closest to healthy you can get 8n them is pizza. :pensive:

8 Likes

Its bread all people had years ago she probably taught like she did raring her own kids speak to her I couldn’t see it doing much harm tho unless u feel she is controlling in that case dont give d chance again ur child ur rules but she rared her kids prob nothing wrong with them no way like d old way prob god bread n butter urself with a bobba t🤣

1 Like

Bread should be toasted until a year old or it gums up and becomes a choking hazard. MIL should also follow your rules as a parent. I recommend joining Baby Led Weaning And Combo Feeding Without The Woo Super helpful group.

Mom of 5, gramma of 7 here… my kids and grandkids all ate table food real early. If you don’t want child to have bread just tel MIL… im sure she didn’t do it to spite you. Us grammas just like to feed these babies. Also pick your battles with her… you both need to stay level headed for the entire families sake. Theres got to be some take and give on both of your accounts. And if you nit pick everything gramma does you may find yourself fighting with hubby

7 Likes

In the big picture, it’s ok. Let it go. You can tell her your schedule of feeding and why but in the big spectrum of things, this isn’t going to ‘hurt’ your child

1 Like

As a MIl, I avoided things my DIL told me about, but I am not a mind reader so if I wasnt told beforehand, how could I know? Also, it does matter how you broached the subject. Thoughtful discourse is one thing, blessing someone out is a whole other thing.

1 Like

What in the world is wrong with bread lol

3 Likes

7 months may be too young. I dont know what your kiddo has started eating. My concern would be more of a choking hazard. I’m guessing this is your first baby? Because by the second or third, you pick your battles differently.

3 Likes

Depends on the bread, the amount, any health or dietary concerns. I’m very much in favor of a healthy, well-balanced diet, and I believe that GOOD bread has a place in that

bread? lol by 7 months they can eat bread… my mom was trying to give mine junk food by 7 months :joy::joy::joy: id come in to cheesie face… an cookie crumbs

1 Like

Well its your child so if you don’t want them to have it its your call.
BUT…its not gonna harm them (unless they’re allergic or something). By 5 mos my oldest was eating rice, beans, whatever we ate BC she wouldn’t eat baby food. Its not a big deal but your wishes should be respected

1 Like

I’m sure when it’s your first baby and they’re seven months old it probably seems like a big deal. But in a few years they’re gonna be eating stale goldfish out of their car seat cushions so honestly, it’s not a big deal. There’s so much worse they could and will be eating :rofl:

12 Likes

I cant be all anti mil here I baby sat my friends kid and snuck him pizza. All the things she thought would happen didnt. Granted that’s your child and she should respect that you also could loosen up and stop believing everything you read online. My mom does this stuff all the time I ignore it because shes grandma. You do sound too over protective but that’s all you. I let my kids eat bread once they got teeth they were eating almost everything

2 Likes

Its just bread, my daughter is 7 months and loves toast.

1 Like

Is bread not a Marlboro, your baby will be just fine.

2 Likes

All of you saying “it’s just bread” & telling her to get over it are seriously not understanding the point. It’s HER child HER rules if she don’t want her kid eating that yet the grandmother should understand where she’s coming from​:woman_facepalming:t4::100:

13 Likes

It’s fine to give bread to infants. BLW and my son has been eating bread since he was 6 months :joy:

I feel its can be a choking hazard because it sticks to roof of mouth .and they can pack it like little chipmunks.

1 Like

Your absolutely justified. That’s YOUR kid not hers. MIL needs to back off

3 Likes

You Expressed a concern Regarding YOUR kid. I don’t see why she can’t just respect it and move on. It sounds like MIL is overreacting ew

2 Likes

Nope I feed my baby toast at 7m but that’s what I WANTED. You have the say and anyone who can’t respect it can get the :hiking_boot:! You make the rules for what goes in the baby’s body; no one else!

1 Like

The point all of you are missing is that she said she didn’t want her to give it to her child and she did anyway . Whether you agree or not her wishes need to be respected.

12 Likes

Babies can start solids from 6 months on with baby led weaning🥰 one time with bread won’t cause your child to have bad eating habits

uh…bread is fine. look into baby led weaning. it’s safe and it won’t ruin your baby lol. that being said i understand that you don’t like your baby being offered new foods without your permission, and you should approach her kindly about that and express that you would like to approve any new foods before they’re given.

1 Like

Just tell her you don’t agree and give her a list of okay of things she can give him or provide the foods you want given and move on with it. Nothing to make a big fuss over unless she keeps doing it and not respecting your wishes.

3 Likes

At 7 months old my kids are what I ate like cereal grits eggs potatoes all healthy and fine but your child is your decisions

1 Like

Babys can start eating solids by this age already. I let my son naw on beef jerky to help his teething. He loved it, still does.

1 Like

To all of you… It’s not about the fucking bread it’s about respecting a mother’s wishes when it comes to her child 🤦

29 Likes

7 months later you’ll just be throwing chicken nuggets at them. I promise it s fine.

4 Likes

You are the mommy. You make the rules. The end.

1 Like

I feel your mil knows how and had raised other children before yours. It’s not like she’s trying to poison the child.

Eh they all end up eating their own buggers :woman_shrugging:t3: anyway

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it is fine for 7mo old to have bread. What matters is that SHE UNDERMINED YOU AS A PARENT. and DIDNT RESPECT YOUR BOUNDARIES WITH YOUR CHILD.
She crossed a line.
She would no longer be allowed around my children unsupervised. If it happened again, she wouldn’t get to be around at all.

8 Likes

If you said no, that’s on her to respect your request. It’s your baby. End of story

2 Likes

Not going to like my answer and it comes from raising 4 kids and now I have 9 grandkids and1 great grandchild. If you don’t trust her enough to do what’s right for your child then don’t expect her to keep her when your not there. She raised the babies dad and did just fine. I’d give my life for any one of my grandkids so if I’m asked to watch them I’ll do what I did with my own kids. If the child has issues and can’t have certain things I’d never consider giving it to them.

7 Likes

You don’t have to explain your rules to anyone. Your kids, your rules. She just needs to respect it and move on.

2 Likes

Seriously? She gave them bread and your mad? It could have been a snickers :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I have a 7 month old she loves eating bread from sandwiches n what not…:woman_shrugging: I mean for the most part she eats what we eat n does fine. But to each their own, I have older kid’s 17&12 so I remember kids eating table food at 9 months jo more baby food lol I guess I’m old school

2 Likes

My child has eaten a week old Cheeto out of the chair :woman_facepalming::joy::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

MIL disrespected and undermined you as the mom. If you allow it to slide now it will only get worse. Stick to your guns. Explain that this is NOT acceptable and have consequences.

2 Likes

If she didn’t know, then no big deal. If she did that’s a different story.

3 Likes

Mine ate sandwiches, burgers etc pinched up as soon as they shown interest to eat. We never did baby food. They are healthy 17, 7 and 6 now.

2 Likes

My 3 sons sat in highchair at 3-4 months and at mashed potatoes, gravy, spaghetti, eggs or anything that could be mashed. To this day there is nothing they won’t eat.

2 Likes

Better check thise teething buscuit things…bread. The puff things…bread. You owe that mother in law an apology.

7 Likes

She shouldn’t be butthurt by you simply telling her not to give your child bread. I think you have Every right to ask her to do as you wish with YOUR child. But just make sure you’re keeping an eye on your tone and how you may come across. Ultimately you have to do what YOU feel is right not what anyone else thinks. If she can’t take simple instructions without getting offended, maybe her son needs to have a conversation with her

4 Likes

My grandchildren will eat what I am eating, if you want your child on a special diet then probably don’t drop them off at my house. Unless it is an allergy or health issue

4 Likes

And what grandparent doesnt give their grandchildren food etc that the parents said dont. Thats what grandparents do :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Absolutely not girl, that’s your child and people should respect your rules and wishes for them

3 Likes

Bread isn’t the end of the world, but she probably should have asked you before giving your child anything to eat in case of allergies.

2 Likes

its not about whether or not the baby can have bread, its about you telling her not to and she did!! she was in the wrong and i would be mad too

6 Likes

Y’all missing the point. If she didn’t want her to give him bread she shouldn’t have. Boundaries. Respect. The fucking end

3 Likes

Must be your first kid … :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: it’s just a piece of bread … my MIL gave my 4 mth old ice cream - totally addicted to that crap 18 yrs later … life is short - let it go. Grandma is just loving on your baby

5 Likes

Your child your rules

1 Like

Youre over reacting. :woman_shrugging: What’s wrong with bread anyway? could have been a candy bar.

1 Like

The whole point is she disrespected your wishes. Your child, your rules. If you don’t want them having bread that early, then it’s just that. She needs to get over herself

1 Like

I dont think it has to do with weather or not anyone should or shouldn’t give bread to a child. It had to do with the fact that YOU don’t want to give bread to YOUR child and she disrespected your wishes.
I would ask her to please respect you and her sons wishes and if she doesn’t then her son, your husband needs to stand up to her or no watching your child unsupervised. Simple! You teach people how to teach you. You and your husband need to be a team and I believe we need to deal with our own family members when issues arise. Blessings sweet mama

I have a 9month old and I give her a lot more than just bread! Lmfao. And if your child is 7months old then it’s time for him/her to get accustom to solid foods.also Dawn Marie is correct puffs and teething biscuits are bread. Tbh I’m more concerned that your restricting a growing child’s diet than that grandma hurt your feelings