Am I over reacting about my MIL giving my child bread?

WHAT how is bread not ok!?!

1 Like

If people go behind your back with how you raise your kids, and do it THEIR way, THEY’RE in the wrong. Not you.

2 Likes

Wow some of these comments on here!. I have a monster MIL too. Your child your rules, stick to your guns. Whether it’s your first child or 5th. Idc, still yours. Some people can not be trusted to respect you, even if they have a title.

3 Likes

This post made me appreciate my parents more. They let me parent my children how I want instead of how they want. Grandparents raised their kids already so it’s time for parents to raise theirs how they see fit. I’d just explain and figure out a solution. Whether it be give whoever a list of haves and don’t haves or whatever you see fit.

3 Likes

There are far worse things…

It’s bread. Your child is not ruined.

4 Likes

Your story is not clear! Was she watching your child? Did you tell her beforehand what you do and don’t want the 7 month old to eat?

2 Likes

My kid was 10 months old on her first Thanksgiving my father attempted to give her a lick of potatoes and ice cream. I fucking flipped. Told him no and I would leave her alone with him. Nope my kid, my rules. She didn’t get stuff like that. Especially ice cream. My girl had a tummy issue and had special formula because she could :poop: she was on reguline formula. It doesn’t matter if that’s what grand parents do the hell they do. They need to respect the parents wishes on their child. Bread is considered a choking hazzard because it can get soft and they push it on top of their mouths (gets gooey and gross on the roof of their mouths.) The kid I’m talking about above is my 3rd child.

1 Like

i completely agree with y’all that if she told her beforehand not to give her certain things, and she did, then that’s WAY out of line. but…i don’t get that impression here? “to which i clearly don’t agree” sounds to me like “duh she shouldn’t have done that” not “i told her prior”. if she didn’t tell her beforehand then it was just a miscommunication that needs corrected and i don’t feel the MIL or anyone is at fault for a simple generational difference.

1 Like

Yes. Yes you are overreacting.

3 Likes

Well you’re not overreacting at all, my mother had a friend that did this with me as a child and i turned out to be allergic to the food she’d given me. If the parent says not to give their child a certain thing it should be respected. There’s no “it’s just a piece of bread” you never know what may make that child sick and ultimately you are the parent. That is YOUR child if they dislike that fact then limit their time until they understand and respect your stance.

2 Likes

If you don’t want YOUR child to eat, drink, do, something… EVERYONE needs to respect that. You should never give a child something to eat without asking the parent first.

3 Likes

You are overreacting a bit of bread won’t hurt him.

1 Like

I know not to come here and ask y’all for advice cause the point went over a lot of y’all’s head​:roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

unfortunately this is why so many mothers are afraid to come forward and ask these kinds of questions. because it turns into a blood bath. i think the entire point that so many are overlooking is the fact grandma gave baby something that she was asked not to give. before anyone jumps down my throat, my kid eats mcdonald’s once a week and just ate hot cheetos for breakfast this morning so i’m not mom of the year. :woman_shrugging:t2: i’m just saying, as a first time mom myself (which many are assuming she is), i too have gone to war with my own parents about giving my daughter food i have asked them not to. eventually i just gave in because i know it’s not going to kill her and they respect the major choking hazards.

at the end of the day, you’re the mom. you need to do what is best for YOU and your son.

3 Likes

Based on half of these comments, some of you shouldn’t watch other people kids. I get that its probably harmless, because it’s just bread. Thats not the point though. Unless the child is yours, its not your choice. Unless the parent drops the kid off with no provided food or idea what they can have, you give the child what the parent says is okay. Of course older children are a different story to a degree, but this one is 7 months old.

3 Likes

Getting offended over you being upset from HER actions is ridiculous

Your child
Your rules
She is in the wrong

4 Likes

Well, depending on how far your child is developed for their bowels. Bread can make a small infant extremely constipated. So bad it hurts them. I went through the same thing with my son. My mom gave him bread and he cried from how constipated he was. Otherwise, that is disrespectful to you for not respecting your wishes for your child. Alot of people don’t realize how much it can affect a child when they eat something their body isn’t ready for. And it could affect them when they’re older. People used to give their child whatever not knowing what could happen to their bodies if they weren’t ready for that specific solid food.

Grandmas are always gonna give the babies treats. I’ve lost my head over my mom giving my kid double dessert after sugary pancakes for dinner. It’s an uphill battle. Digesting/choking is a separate concern. But yours seemed to be nutrition

When my son was about 7 months old I told his great grandmother no to strawberries and she gave him a strawberry. I was more upset about the fact that she went behind my back to do it, not that she gave him a strawberry. So in my opinion I don’t think you’re over reacting. And bread honestly isn’t good for anyone if it is not homemade. The mine ingredients on the back of the bread the worse it is for you.

2 Likes

My son is totally healthy and has lived on bread and noodles since he was really young.

2 Likes

If you told her no bread and she did it anyways then that’s a problem regardless of if bread is okay or not. I am astounded that so many people are acting like you are crazy to be upset over it. It’s definitely not okay for her to not respect what you say about YOUR child!

3 Likes

I personally wouldn’t be mad but we don’t limit our kids foods. We do BLW and everything in moderation is okay. However, if you choose not to feed your kids bread then I would just respectfully tell her why you don’t want your child to have it. sometimes they may be upset but she’ll come to understand you’re doing what’s best for you and yours. :heart:

2 Likes

My 19m old has choked on bread because she doesn’t know how to pace herself. Do what you think is best for your little one! I think 7 months is a little bit early, but that’s my opinion!

Did you make your rules clear before she watched kid?

2 Likes

Jesus yes, you are very much over reacting.

2 Likes

Did you tell her before hand not to feed her bread?

I would just talk to her and explain it to her without getting to mad. I had to have that talk with my mom and family. They think it’s fun to “spoil” little ones by giving pop, candy etc. I told my mom flat out if you give my son pop you won’t be allowed to be alone with him and explain why I didn’t want him having it (diabetes runs on both sides of my family and my fiance has diabetes) and once I talked to her. She understood, and now treats him with healthier snacks.

Was it just a piece of bread or was there something on it?

All I have to say is that if she can’t respect your wishes in such a simple matter then you can’t trust her to respect your wishes in a more serious matter. Its not about the bread, its about the fact that she completely ignored your wishes as a parent.

3 Likes

At 7 months old I’d be afraid of my child choking on the bread. So yes, I would be upset as well

3 Likes

We did BLW so our kids ate whatever we ate at 6 months old. If you do purées there’s a way to introduce foods accordingly. But either way she should respect your wishes and if you’re not ready for your child to have food or just bread you shouldn’t have to repeat yourself or be worried of someone going behind your back. I’d tell her why you don’t want it and let her know if she can’t respect you then she can wait until baby is eating everything to have alone time

2 Likes

I’ve given small pieces of bread to our daughter, soaked it in a little bit of broth so it was easy to chew… BUT your wishes with your child should be respected no matter who the family member is. For them to go against your wishes is disrespectful.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter if you’re overprotective or not,that is your child and you make all the rules him!!!

3 Likes

I’ve got 4 kids my oldest is 17, 18 this year. When she was a few weeks old we left her with my MIL for around 2 hours to go shopping. She wasn’t a baby who liked to suck on a dummy (soother) but would occasionally so I left one in the bag with her other stuff. When I came back my MIL had dipped it in sugar so she would suck it. I was absolutely raging but I just explained that we don’t do that kind of thing anymore. A lot of grannies are just from a different generation where things were done differently. They don’t mean any harm. I’d explain again then if she doesn’t listen just don’t leave the baby with her

3 Likes

My XMIL gave my 6 month old chocolate and it irked my nerves i dont feel bad for asking her not to do that. My then 6 month old was my first child out of 3 and she is now 20 in the Navy and she is healthy and happy. Id say a little bread isnt gunna hurt BUT he is YOUR baby and you have the right to say something

Your baby, your choice, but your spouse obviously survived your MIL’s bread feedings :woman_shrugging:
At 7 months, your baby should be eating soft foods of all sorts, and having different textures introduced; so a small piece of bread shouldn’t be something to lose your bananas over. A whole piece of bread, with crust, and unsupervised would be an entirely different story. If your concern is to do with allergies, you’ll never know if you don’t try.
Finally and this is the big one, if your concern with your child making “good food choices” lies in the notion that carbs are bad for you, and will lead to “x” number of issues, people need carbs to function properly, and babies burn a ton of calories, they need the energy.
Take it with a grain of salt, but try to understand that your MIL was not trying to harm your child, her grandchild, she was just doing what she did with your spouse when they were little. Times have changed, society is always throwing something new at us lest and right, but if it wasn’t broke, why mess with it :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m sure his grandma won’t hurt him❤

2 Likes

Your child should only ever be eating what you say is okay for them to eat, until they’re old enough to decide for themselves. And anyone going against your wishes needs to be told never to do it again, and if they do, they can no longer see your child without your supervision. If people want to take care of a child how they want, they can have a baby, adopt, or foster, otherwise they have no right to make any choices for any other parents child.

6 Likes

I mean I gave my daughter pizza crust at 4-5 months :woman_shrugging: she LOVES her bread now! BUT it’s your baby your choice and everyone in your life needs to respect that

1 Like

I think it just depends my son is very limited on what he can have due to having kidney problems
Just talk to her and ask her not to do it
I think grandparents don’t mean to overstep but they should also understand that it is your kid

1 Like

Ummmmm soooo ITS YOUR CHILD, not hers. It doesn’t matter if she gave him a lick of yogurt, or pudding or something less choking-Hazzard like… If you don’t want your kid eating it, then they should be honoring whstever you say. If she wasn’t aware ahead of time, just explain that before she gives him anything “new” when you’re not around, to run it by you first.

3 Likes

Your baby, your choice. If you feel like what she has done is too early to be doing, speak to her. Rather than fighting, sit her down and tell her how you feel and that she must please respect your wishes.

My step dad gave my 3 week old coffee, only dipped her dummy in it though, but with the shock on my face he never did it again :rofl: needless to say, she’s healthy happy and a thriving almost 3 year old

At least yours didnt cut the baby’s hair without asking :neutral_face::expressionless: if she wasnt a full blooded korean wolf mother i woulda snapped

2 Likes

You have your own reasons to not want to give your baby bread. If you told her you weren’t okay with her giving the baby bread beforehand then that’s wrong on the grandma’s part, but if you didn’t let her know until after she gave the baby bread then I’d say it’s okay. Give the grandma some slack because she was just doing what she thought was fine. At least she loves your baby. Trust me, bread is fine compared to the other things your baby will eat or lick. Bread is totally fine and it could’ve been worse. If you’re restricting your baby from eating certain foods, then let her know that. Let this be a lesson learn for her to respect your wishes from now on. Apologize to her and cut her some slack since in her eyes she did no wrong. Unless you told her not to before and she did it anyway then that does make it wrong.

It’s just bread. lol.
If she didn’t know, she just didn’t know & now she does. I have a feeling she didn’t know and you flipped out on her over some BREAD.
If she did know, shame on her. But most grandmas try to push even ice cream and cake into the mouths of babies. Like, show a little grace. It’s not the end of the world.

1 Like

If your talking to your mother in law about a grandchild it’s clear she didn’t kill her own son…yes, unless ur child is allergic, your over reacting.

3 Likes

If you told her you didn’t want baby to have bread and she gave baby bread…you have every reason to be upset.

If you didn’t tell her not to give baby bread…then hopefully you were very kind about letting her know you forgot to mention it and just let her know for next time.

If you forgot to tell her and then you were ugly or rude about it, then you’re drama and I feel bad for grandma.

As far as you wanting baby to not have bread…you have every right to decide what you do and do not want your children to eat. I regret sooooooo much giving my kids the “good” food so early. I have a friend whose baby will eat any veggies and doesn’t even know what unnatural sweet is. My kids are so picky, and that’s 100% my fault.

2 Likes

Your baby, your rules.
Kindly explain to her what goes and what doesn’t.
Maybe take some snacks with next time your take your baby to your MIL and explain to her you would prefer your baby having these foods instead of ‘xyz’

2 Likes

It’s just bread. I’d be more mad if it was candy to be honest. I just kind of trusted my parents, they really don’t require a bunch of rules. Any rules that were needed we agreed was for the best. Like no slime for example

I’m concerned with the “she is all emotional about it”…I had a MIL who would purposely do things that I had asked not be done. To be clear, these were not things that she thought would be harmful. However, one example would be having her sleep on her stomach because that’s how their generation believed was best. After explaining that there are studies now that show babies should never be put on their stomachs to sleep and why, her response was that she didn’t understand people nowadays, and the way they raised their children was perfectly fine. I had to invite her to a doctor’s appointment and have the pediatrician explain before she was willing to listen. Until then, as much as I didn’t want to, I could not let her care for my child. On a lesser scale, there were also things like putting cereal in the bottle before the appropriate age, wanting to use different diapers than I preferred, etc. IF you feel that this was simply a misunderstanding, it shouldn’t take more than one conversation. If not, and you continue to have this same conversation…meaning that as the child’s mother, you feel your wishes aren’t being respected, then the issue is not the bread. And you are doing the right thing by letting her know how you feel so that you can come to an understanding. You sound like a wonderful mother, don’t second guess your instincts or your decisions just because someone gets emotional. I know some are saying not to make it a thing, but that’s what mama’s do when it comes to our kids.

8 Likes

Bread won’t hurt your baby as long as she didn’t feed babes a whole slice of bread and in appropriate size. Look into baby led weaning and see if your babes is ready for table foods we started table foods at 7m old and his first meal was rib meat pulled off the bone Mac n cheese and green beans. But explain to your MIL that (you or baby) just isn’t ready for that stage of food just yet it’s a big step to make and you and baby should decide if your ready or not I’m sure she will understand she was a new mom at one point in time different era but same fears for every new mom.

2 Likes

It’s principle
It’s your child she should of asked !

Regardless of relation or if she’s raised a kid before

It’s your kid your choices

She’s already raised her kid(s)

You’re the mom

Been there done that

2 Likes

Stand your ground. YOU are the mother.

2 Likes

Did she know? If not she does now. If they is anything else she should know tell her. I’d start with I am sorry we’ve not had this conversation sooner… because honestly you should’ve had this conversation. After that point if she continues deal with it as you see fit.

3 Likes

Yes. I believe that life is so,so short to be making a big deal about your MIL giving your baby some bread. If you were against it because your baby was allergic to it or because your baby had some sort of eating/swallowing issue that causes choking on any “solid” foods, and she was well aware of these issues yet decided to endanger the baby’s life regardless…then yeah! Get upset, rage!.. but if it’s really only about “establishing good eating habits”… at SEVEN MONTHS OLD, I PERSONALLY, think that’s a little ridiculous and overbearing. I mean, my goodness… its bread! What in the world makes you believe that eating a bit of bread at an age your child will never remember , will skew their perception of food for life? Also, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BREAD! Any food is perfectly fine in moderation. Listen, i can tell you really love your baby. Im just saying that in my personal opinion, there is too much REAL shit to worry about and get angry over in our very short and finite lives. Pick your battles. And try to enjoy life, And let your baby do the same. :upside_down_face::blush::upside_down_face::blush::upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Yes. You are overprotective and possessive about your child. :rofl:
It’s bread. Your poor MIL. Did you specifically say what not to feed your child? Then yah I could see some irritation there. Doesn’t sound like it though. Most kids are eating bread by that age or crackers.

6 Likes

YOUR CHILD YOUR RULES LET HER BE BUTTHURT ITS NOT HER KID!!! She should NEVER feed your child anything you tell her not to

3 Likes

She gave him bread… Not whisky lol

4 Likes

My mom passed away when my son was 6 years old, what I would do to get to see her eating anything with him. Appreciate grandma wanting to spend time with the child for one day she may not be able to…My mom was only 59 died of cancer and missed out on meeting some of her grand babies. It’s definitely not that serious!

3 Likes

Who tf gives bread to a 7 month old??! Hell no… yup she has a right to be mad.

4 Likes

Relax sis. The baby will be fine. I understand if you’re a first time mum but easy does it

2 Likes

YOU are the parent. If you don’t want it- she shouldn’t give it!

2 Likes

No, you are not overreacting. Maybe you should :woman_shrugging:t2: Maybe you should give her something to be emotional about, blow your f*ing lid. She should’ve respected your wishes :roll_eyes:

1 Like

:scream: She fed her grandchild BREAD!
SMH

5 Likes

Toast is on my wic food list for an 8 month old :woman_shrugging: its fine but if you dont want your child eating it then that’s your rules​:roll_eyes:

My daughters MIL dumped out all her breast milk from the freezer because she smelt it so my daughter had no back up! I’d flew off the deep end and moved her out! Lol

2 Likes

It’s your kid, but 7 months it’s fine. I’m 41 so we fed ours food before “it” was allowed. Just you do you and tell her , not in a ugly way❤️

If you dont want babe eating anything but baby food and formula/breast tell her that. Tbh i wouldnt care as long as baby is okay and didnt choke but thats me :blush:

1 Like

If you asked specifically for her not to give him bread then yeah, be mad.

But. It’s only bread. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Babies choke on bread & if the mother said no, it’s a NO. Not a maybe, NO.
MILS NEED to know their place.

4 Likes

Breads a bad thing to give a baby they can chock on it or stick to the roof in their mouth

Look up BLM. Baby will be fine. You can start foods as early as 6 months old.
But, she should respect your wishes as the babies mother

1 Like

So I see two sides with this one being its your kid so yes your rules but I also don’t see a reason to get so upset over it I think that you should have calmly said you would rather wait until they get older to feed them things like that and if the problem continues then I would get upset because your mother does need to respect your rules for your child

2 Likes

9 months old isn’t really a newborn and it’s only bread :flushed:

1 Like

Oh My Lord!!! Reading these comments makes me wonder, What has this world come to? There’s a term for some on here: High-Maintenance Parents
This might be helpful for some of you.

1 Like

Toast yeah but I dunno about bread.

Listen, I feel like this might be your first baby… your mother in law surely had the best intentions for your little one and will hopefully be a huge part of your child’s life in a positive way. She clearly raised one of her very own well enough that you found them suitable for marriage… give the woman a break and trust that there are going to be a TON of people that also know what is safe and well for a child. You can have your ideals and that’s great but every single kid at some point is going to eat dirt! Literal effing dirt, snot from their noses, someone else’s gum. I’m sure you were worried it would be a choking hazard but not everything will choke your baby and learning what to do when a baby chokes is hands down more beneficial than keeping things from them until they won’t choke on it… I’m 34 and I inhaled a piece of chex mix the other day :roll_eyes: I’m also a respiratory therapy nurse and HIGHLY SKILLED in providing life saving support in these situations. My daughter ate anything she could get in her mouth, even socks. Be prepared for choking hazards but don’t let them control your life or that of the people with the most harmless of intentions. She has been a mother since the day her first was born, trust me girl, she’s got this! Relax and let her enjoy your gift to her family more :heart:

16 Likes

Lord. This is why I never told my daughters. I just did it when they weren’t around.
Now the 8 yr old knows that some foods are just with granny and the 3 yr old knows I have a pocket of cookies.
Some of my best memories were the bond I had with my grannies. I got Tab soda with one. I got 6 cases now that I limit to one soda for a special day because coke stopped making them. My great granny Ida was a diabetic so we had a whole spy scheme to sneak cake, pie, and cookies. My great granny Eubanks would sit coconut on the back porch for me. Each one of my grannies were special and we all had a thing. My grandpa and I would have coffee together watching the sun rise and listening to the birds. I don’t have any of those people anymore but I still have a sense of peace and a smile in my heart. The taste of Tab puts me right back to 7 yrs old. Sitting with my granny watching gunsmoke. So many meaningful memories that still get me choked up.
We had outside, trees to climb, one rotary phone, one tv with 5 channels, and granny’s special treats. Now that we don’t have our grannies, we want to recreate it with our grandkids.
Just breath

2 Likes

I understand this. It might just only be bread and if you have specified that you don’t want baby eating bread and she still goes ahead and do it, then it’s disrespectful. Stand your ground.

2 Likes

If you scolded her and she genuinely thought she was just being “grandma” – her emotions are valid. Id follow up with her and make sure you can put this behind both of you and just discuss a game plan for next visit/food introductions.

Your baby your rules over all… but bread isn’t that big of a deal at 7 months… if they baby was 4 months ok freak out but you can even give your kids peanut butter at 6 months now so some bread won’t hurt as long as the kid can chew and she cut it up… I get being concerned but its just bread wic suggested peanut butter toast for my son at 6 months

1 Like

Also im Hispanic and we give our kids tortillas almost immediately lmfao :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

From the sound of the post, it doesn’t seem like the mom made it clear beforehand that the baby couldn’t have bread🤔 you all are jumping up grandma’s a$$ but it sounds like an honest mistake and the mom is overreacting and needs to be more clear next time🤷🏼‍♀️

2 Likes

Perhaps the MIL didn’t take too well to this…are you feeling bad for her that she’s all emotional or genuinely concerned about the bread and the baby eating it…if it’s the latter I’m sure the baby is fine. I’m sure your MIL won’t repeat this after you’ve spoken to her about it. :sparkling_heart:

For heavens sake!
Is the child harmed? NO!
We grew up with smoking moms, car seats with no straps and were here to speak about it!
Relax and enjoy parenthood and stop stressing over these “little” things!
She didn’t give the baby Mountain Dew for god sake!

6 Likes

We did BLW all my babies had bread by 6 months pb&j is one od their favorites.

2 Likes

Lord have mercy. Not touching this can of worms.

2 Likes

I let my son chew on pizza crusts at 7 months old…never did him any harm :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I started weaning my son at 3 months as baby milk wasnt feeding him, buy six to eight months he was eating toast, but I trust my mum opinion she raised 3 kids and we turned out fine, I understand it’s your child you will do what you want but please remember she raised your partner’s, she must of done something right for you to marry her child that she raised

1 Like

I wonder if it was her mother and not her MIL would she have over reacted as much ? After having 3 son’s I’ve found keeping anything from them will want them to desire it more.

5 Likes

My daughter is 9 months and eats grilled cheese sandwiches lol

2 Likes

my kid is 8 months & can’t eat anything like that yet… she will choke. still struggles with puffs, much less anything else. not an overreaction, just make sure you talk to MIL (& anyone else who watches baby) in a calm manner, letting them know that baby can’t handle solids yet :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

That’s what mothers and Mil do, I don’t think they don’t do it out of disrespect, they just think they know better,

I don’t agree with that at all, you have every right to be mad. Your child should never be given food without your consent or knowledge

1 Like

My mom had me chewing on raw bacon rind at that age :joy: that’s the 70’s for you

I done BLW so my little girl was eating toast at 6 months… it isn’t a big deal I think personally & I can for sure see me putting toast on for her in the mornings when she is older it’s not like she isn’t ever going to have it?? Unless you are one of those mums who whip up amazing breakfasts/meals for your child every day but I sure don’t have time for that as long as baby is getting nutrients in her other meals and milk there is no harm.

1 Like

Omg. Bread is the least of your worries. Stop reading parenting books.

14 Likes

WOW! Just wow! You are married to her adult son, are you not?! I think she has successfully raised a child before! Learn to pick your battles and don’t be so uptight.

7 Likes

Girl it’s bread. Your baby is over six months old and perfectly able to start eating solids. She should have respected your wishes, but it’s not going to hurt your baby.

4 Likes

Bread?? Didnt realize it was an issue… my kid used to chew on every kind of bread going, loved the crusty stuff, kept him going for hours.

2 Likes