Am I over thinking this comment?

She’s commenting on how dominant your genes are, be proud :smirk::rofl:

1 Like

I think you are over thinking it a little. I see being somewhat offended, but I wouldn’t let that per say worry me. She would love any baby that y’all had if you were to have one. I don’t believe it’s bc Of culture/race really, bc if so, I think she would had just said that. Just my opinion tho, bc in my experience mother’s tend to give their opinions often, when you do and don’t need or want them. As a mother myself, I have said things to my son that hurt his feelings, but 90% of the time taking offense is within perception. A lot of times ppl perceive things differently than the person meant them. Maybe she would had said that about anyone that had dark hair and green eyes. Maybe it was just something she had always said to him, but in reality she will be :100: fine with any grandchild. Just my perception and outlook on this though.

Nothing wrong with her saying that

My boyfriend is Filipino. Im white as a leprechaun. imo i would just try to not let it bother you. They expected him to be with a Filipino women and not me lol. I just let them live with there closed minds and be myself

I wouldn’t give it too much thought … it could mean nothing so why waste time overthinking it :blush:

My husband has blonde hair blue eyes I have brown hair brown eyes and we have one child with blonde hair and blue eyes and another with brown hair and brown eyes!

All of you people with these comments smh

It could actually happen! I have brown hair green eyes my 1 brother brown hair brown eyes my two other bfos have blonde hair blue eyes! My Grand son his Mom has dark brown eyes and my hubby as well Grey’s eyes are grey.

I think it’s a little bit of an over reaction if you’re simply talking to him and it’s not a serious relationship……??

3 Likes

I have brown eyes, hair etc and so wanted a blue eyed blonde baby. Some relatives have that but not me or my brother but husband also has blue blonde. I also heard comments of the sort from my parents and his ( i am not hispanic etc) so i dont think it is biased by race, just that they hope to have grandkids that look like their offspring. Your parents probably want your kids to look like them and you. My ex mother in law is Guatemalan (not kids grand mother) and her kids are blonde /blue and she says close to 50% of the kids, native in thier town are blonde/blue. Many in Norway have nearly black hair and green/hazel or brown eyes as well.

Try not to feel offended. Ignorance is something.

Your reply should be, “No, you’ll get the kids however God makes them and that’s perfect! Wouldn’t you agree?” And then look at her with a blank face.

You shake that off sis and don’t wear OTHER PEOPLES ISSUES. God Bless​:heart::pray:t5:

5 Likes

My husband has black hair, brown eyes and the good skin tone(his great grandmother was 100% cheeroke) our oldest has brown hair and blue eyes and has his skin tone. Our youngest has red hair and blue eyes and shes fair like me. Genetics go further than the parents.

1 Like

I just want to say I’m tanned with brown eyes and hubby is blonde. We have 5 kids and one is blonde blue eyes and another red with blue eyes and 3 are tanned and dark hair.

I can see where you’re coming from, but I don’t think it was said to hurt anyone. She was probably thinking that when her son had children they would look like her son when he was a boy. I would take it as a compliment that she knows you’re “the one” for him based on her making a Grandchild comment. Don’t overthink it.

3 Likes

I think once she sees a grandchild it will put all of her fears to rest. I have a granddaughter that is half Chinese and I couldn’t love her any less. She’s just being racist and there’s always going to be racism in this world although I wish there wasn’t

I live in Costa Rica my friend granddaughter mother & father are Spanish with brown eyes& their daughter has most beautiful blue eyes & black hair you never know ! It’s his life not hers ! I would not let it bother me !

1 Like

Is she dumb? Lol I got the brown eyes husband’s a blue eyed all 3 of our kids have brown eyes :rofl::joy:

I guess it depends on her tone of voice. If youve not met her you won’t know if she meant it as a racist comment or just something in passing and smiled. Take it as a positive that she sees you both together having a family. Id let it pass. Give her the benefit of the doubt till you meet and see how she accepts you into the family.

Reading to much into this. She made a comment but is more than accepting you as the one her son fell in love with. No guarantees with who ever he is with, with regards to hair and eye color. I have a dark hair brown eyes and a blond hair blue eyes. My eyes are green and hair at this point is what ever color I make it. Lol But young was a auburn/brown

Well she’s not lol brown is dominant.

What she said sounds harmless. But also, I have 3 children. My husband has brown eyes and my ex does too witch I share two of my kids with. I have one brown eyed and two with blue eyes. Mine were blue as a young child and are now green. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I have brown eyes and my daughters dad has blue. My baby girl has the brightest blue eyes I’ve seen. You never know

Give her the most beautiful dark skin blue eyed baby ever :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Well first off, your kids could easily have blue eyes, so she sounds like she doesn’t know genetics, therefore anything she says about your future kids don’t hold credence. And second she may just mean her grandkids wouldn’t look like her son looked as a baby. It sounds bad, and I can’t say what she actually means, but sometimes women regret not having more babies, so they look forward to having little clone copies of their children when they have grandkids. It brings back the memories. I personally would just ask. Let her know you know about the comment and you arent mad, you were just curious if she was upset at you being Hispanic or if there was a reason having blue eyed grandbabies was such a big deal. If its bugging you that bad. If not, just let it go. If you have kids that don’t have blue eyes and she treats them differently then cross that bridge when you get there.

Whoa, whoa, whoa !!! Ask him why his mom is moving so fast!!

1 Like

Run run run and don’t look back. U are up for a lifetime of heart ake if u stay

3 Likes

It is low key offensive imo :woman_shrugging:t6:

1 Like

My husband in native American and so far 2 of outta 4 of our kids have blonde hair blue eyes I’m blonde hair blue eyes n he has dark brown hair n brown eyes so it’s still possible

Husband 40 has blue eyes I 33 have brown. If we had a kid they’d probably have brown or hazel eyes. My stepson 20 has green eyes his fiance 28 brown their daughter 2 hazel. SS mom has blue eyes. Two blue eyed parents don’t guarantee blue eyed kids.

I’m white as a ghost with green eyes. My husband is dark with black hair and thick hairy arms and brown eyes and 2/3 kids have blue eyes. Genetics don’t go by what she says :relaxed:

As a Latina, I would pass on that.

Tell her you’re sure she’ll get her blue eyed grands , I intend to adopt!!

And I doubt the person who posted this is looking for people to say, “Your kids could still have blue eyes!”

4 Likes

First off! Your feelings are valid. I woulda been hurt also. She may not have meant it to be as bad as it sounded, but none the less the words still hurt. I would definitely ask her to elaborate.

2 Likes

Plus people totally don’t realize how beautiful brown eyes can be. Yes blue is beautiful too. But people are put to much credence into the basic colors. Within each eye color are a variety of colors. Brown has brown sugar with honey specs or golden brown, whiskey brown, light brown, dark deep brown. Green has light green, sea foam green, dark green, emerald green, hazel. Then you’ve got the blues and greys. Light blue, dark blue, grey blue, blue and green mixed. So many colors yet all we concentrate on is the main colors.

2 Likes

I think you reading into it too much. I joke around with my kids about what my grand kids will look like when they have them.

3 Likes

Its only because your have brown eyes. That’s it. Don’t take it personally❤ and who knows… maybe you will give her blue eyed granbabies!

2 Likes

I mean sounds like she implied there would be grandchildren with you. I don’t think she ment any harm tbh. But it’s hard to tell from not knowing more

5 Likes

Hell ya never know! I’m white with brown hair n eyes and my husband is black with brown hair and eyes. We had a blonde hair, blue eyed son. Genetics is a crazy thing. Honestly who gives a dang what his mama thinks as long is you are happy.

2 Likes

You don’t want none of those blue eyed kids. Walk away now.

1 Like

I think youre looking too much into it

2 Likes

I’m a redhead with brown eyes, my ex is Mexican with Hazel eyes. We have no redheads and curly haired ,1 kid with bright blue eyes and 1 with dark brown eyes. I’m surprised we didn’t get a redhead but hey there is always grandkids :woman_shrugging:t3: hopefully they don’t get grandma’s “smarts” cause it obviously is still a very good chance of getting blue eyed grandkids . Maybe you should run?? As it doesn’t sound like she has good genetics :rofl:

1 Like

He was stupid for even telling you. It was a comment from mom to son and you shouldn’t even know about it. In my opinion you have no right to feel anything about a private conversation that didn’t involve you.

7 Likes

Brown eyes dominate.over blue sometimes

2 Likes

Also I’m pretty sure the is story could have been told by simply saying eye color. You made your heritage relevant when it most likely isn’t.

5 Likes

Why did he feel the need to tell you what she said… if he showed her a picture of you?

1 Like

Maybe she knows her son really really likes you /loves you and she just pictured something different maybe it was innocent and just came out a little harsh

I don’t know why he would tell you :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yes could be idea but honestly I don’t think she meant any harm by it and honestly if y’all did have kids I’m sure she’d be stoked regardless

I am dark. Dark hair and eyes. My son looks like my dad and his dad.
White. Blonde hair and blue eyes.
My mom’s first words were…
I gotta white one.
Ill never figure thise kind of people out.

Reading too much into it. I’m sorry your feelings were hurt but I wouldn’t assume that was the intent. Blue eyes run strong in my fam for generations so we are always eager to see which babies get them. It’s an innocent wish, and nothing more. And for the record, my babies both have my blue eyes even though their daddy is brown eyed, I won :laughing:.

1 Like

My husband blonde with blue eyes and I have brown hair and eyes we got one blonde blue eyes, one brunette blue eyes and one dark blonde/light brown with light brown eyes

My husband is brown haired and brown eyed but my kid ended up blonde and blue.

WOW…!!! Unbelievable that you are so sensitive about your skin and eyes …!! I’d you wanted marry a man that didn’t care… the. You should Have stayed with men that looked Like you…!! You knew that was going to happen if you married a man of European decent if you are of Hispanic decent …!!! Right …??

3 Likes

Don’t just pass it off that his mom probably meant nothing by it.

Unfortunately there are people out there that are severely shallow and would like their kids/grandkids to have certain characteristics.

My parents have dark brown hair /brown eyes. I was born with light brown hair and green eyes.

My maternal grandmother was ecstatic when she learned I had boys with light hair and blue eyes. Favors them over my other siblings kids with dark hair and brown eyes.

:unamused:

3 Likes

So her grandkids won’t have their fathers eyes. Big deal. Doesn’t seem like she cares about your ethnicity just accepting that they won’t have their fathers eyes. I’m brown eyed my hubby is blue eyed. Our future kids would probably have brown eyes too.

Thats racist. I’d be offended too.

9 Likes

All the parents say shit like tht …im sure your bf doeant feel tht

Everything offends everyone now days. I wouldn’t think twice about it I kinda thought it was funny , cause I’m sure she didn’t mean anything bad by saying that. If you let everything someone’s says offend you then life will really be hard on you.

5 Likes

I have brown eyes and my fiancé has bright blue. I’m a little sad that our kids might not get his beautiful eyes. It comes from his dads side they all have them. So I wouldn’t really take it personal. It is kinda rude because some people might but I also understand. Me being dark skin dark hair dark eyes. I would love a mini me and a mini him!

I had a red headed baby and had family try and say i was unfaithful, which is annoying because the red comes from that side of the family… It’s not super common but the person in question ALSO had a red headed child :woozy_face:

You could
Look at it the way you did or you could look at it positively that she thinks you will be with her son and give her a grandchild ( and no matter what color eyes her grand baby has she would be so happy and proud)

Everyone has a certain type of person they think they’re kids are gonna end up with… get over it and stop being so sensitive :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I think you’re definitely reading to much into it. As a mom of 2 boys and 1 girl if my son who has green eyes came home and showed me a pic of his gf my comment about babies and eyes wouldn’t have come out like “omg I really wanted a blue eyed grandkid” im sure she didn’t mean it any kind of way either. I feel like everyone just expects their maybe future mother inlaw to dislike them so any comment not intended to do harm is read to far into

1 Like

Im dark hair dark brown eyes. Baby daddy. Is brown hair with blue eyes. Baby daddy 2 is dark hair with hazel eyes. Both of my kids eyes bounce from blue/hazel/Grey

I’m brown eyed and my husband is blue eyed.
All his children have blue eyes.
Even his ex wife had brown eyes and dark hair.
Their kids together even got blue eyes and blonde hair.
So definitely a trait he passes down dominate.

Girl don’t just brush that comment off! It was meant to be backhanded! My husbands bio mom told me the first time I met her that I wasn’t her type. Like wtf?

5 Likes

I’m not hispanic but a red head with brown eyes and i heard this from both mother in laws when I was having my sons. Both boys have my brown eyes…now 28 and 33 years later my sons now each have 1 child with blue eyes LOL! Genetics are a funny thing. My older son’s dad has blue eyes and his father in law has blue eyes but him and his wife both have brown and yet they have a blue eyed daughter.

That’s very offensive and inappropriate. He shouldn’t of told you and should have told her that her hypothetical grandchildren would be beautiful regardless of their parents.
Obviously that would stick in the back of your mind now when you meet her or have kids. I would tell him to address is so those things are not said to you or in front of you.

4 Likes

Whats the problem she obviously thinks your good enough to have her grandbabies .

3 Likes

I totally understand it might have hurt your feelings but that isn’t exactly how genetics work so your baby would still possibly have blue eyes. She shouldn’t have said something because it shouldn’t matter what colored eyes her grandkids have, she’ll love them all the same or should anyways. Your partner shouldn’t have told you either because it was an insignificant comment that he knew would probably hurt your feelings when he could have just ignored it. Unnecessary all around.

She probably didn’t mean nothing by it. I think your making a big deal out of nothing.

2 Likes

It’s NOT OK! Allowing small racist comments to slide is accepting the racism! They always mean what they say! Don’t allow it!

8 Likes

SMH I thought you’re supposed to look at inner beauty cause your outer beauty will fade

1 Like

Eye color isn’t an issue honestly.
If she’d said “dang it, my grandkids won’t have white skin” then that would be an issue.

And honestly?
Both our parents have blue eyes, we have green eyes, and our daughters have brown eyes :joy:. Absolutely no guarantee his kids would have blue eyes anyways lol

You’re too much I to it

1 Like

So sorry as we should not be judged by the race or color we are, but on the person who we are. Why label people ??

Okay from just that comment alone it really sounds like she meant it on the genetic side of darker color hair and eyes being more dominant than like blonde hair and blue eyes. I made the same comment about my own kids, because their dad is brown haired and brown eyed, before I birthed out to blonde haired blue-eyed babies. There’s nothing there to even consider as racial undertones, but I do understand how that could be a hurtful thing to hear and how some people could interpret it badly without context.

4 Likes

Nah that’s plain hurtful
And shouldn’t of been mentioned at all!
I don’t see no innocence init at all she said what she said and it is how she said it

3 Likes
  1. You can still get blue eyes and blond hair.
  2. Be proud of what you are. We Hispanics age well, work hard, and are beautiful, passionate, people.
  3. I’d tell her that she’s hurting your feelings a little , hold your head up high and tell everybody this white family is lucky to have you.
8 Likes

Too many people get offended over nothing these days

4 Likes

You should’ve told her nope! Your future grand babies are going to have beautiful brown hair and beautiful brown eyes.:brown_heart:

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to be the best place to ask either, lots of white women telling you it’s no big deal…

15 Likes

I think that was a rude comment. I have brown eyes and I have a blue eyed child, so what she is saying is false. What if you have 1 blue eyed child and 1 brown eyed child? Will the blue eyed one be the favorite? I would be irritated.

When a relative finds out there son is seeing a ethnic person like say Italian l would say oh the grand kid may have curly black hair I think this is normal everyone dreams of how there grand kids are going to look like. However if she says other things along the way I would be concern

6 Likes

That’s a really weird thing to say. I’d be so offended if my mom bitched she wasn’t getting green eyed children. Plus it’s really weird to have an idea of who your kids will have kids with. I sit and wonder who my future kids in law will be, and I feel like that’s normal. Trying to imagine anyone specific feels weird and wrong. How can people do that? How controlling must one be?!

Short answer: yes you’re overthinking.

Long answer: Nah, she just knows how genetics work! My pale daughter married a man of Hispanic heritage and she said she knows their kids will likely look more like him and not her just because darker hair, eyes and skin tend to be dominant. Doesn’t mean we love my son in law any less (we adore him!) or will love any future babies any less. It’s just science.

Don’t take offense until she proves herself to be racist in several other ways. I think this was an observation more than an insult.

Frankly I’ll be excited to have grandkids with actual pigment who can be out in the sun without constantly being slathered with SPF100 with hats, long sleeves, umbrellas and other shade and kept out of the sun from 11 am-2 pm! Will still use sunscreen though. :heart:

8 Likes

I get why your put off. I’d keep an eye out and if there’s more comments then a conversation needs to be had. It could be simple like she thought she’d get carbon copies of her son or it could be much worse. Idk bc it’s. Comment being shared and not straight from the person. Covert racism is def a thing and people who don’t deal with racisms daily don’t get it bc there’s “plausible” excuses.

5 Likes

Who cares what she thinks

2 Likes

You are over thinking it! I have 2 blue eyes, 1 hazel eyes. I’m Italian and Sicilian, so there’s always that 50/50 chance. My daughter is the hazel eyes. She hates it because my boys have the blue eyes. I think her eyes are beautiful

3 Likes

I’m white both kids dad were my daughter has the blue eyes my son has brown like me and my husband he’s Italian and adorable everyone’s different wouldn’t change him for the world!

She might be thinking because you have brown eyes it will dominate the blue. Like stronger genetics. What if he was dating a white lady with brown eyes? There are plenty of them. Same thing could happen. Doesn’t sound racist.
My husband has brown eyes and I have blue/green. Both of our kids have blue and blue/green eyes.

3 Likes

You’re looking into it way too much. My MIL wanted a dark hair and brown eyes girl. My girls were blue and green eyed. My nieces were blonde one with brown eyes. My MIL has dark hair dark eyes. Now fast forward, she was happy to get her dark hair and brown eyed girl from my biracial granddaughter, her great granddaughter. It doesn’t mean she will love them any less if they don’t fit her wish.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry, while I cannot personally relate I can understand why this would be hurtful to you. Beauty of genetics doesn’t have to be in a specific package to be beautiful. She is likely as your man ignorant to how this comes across because he likely hasn’t experienced that, so therefor it shouldn’t be an issue in his eyes and his moms eyes. You shouldn’t have to experience something to demonstrate emotional intelligence.

3 Likes

I’m also Hispanic with brown eyes and my husband is white with dirty blonde hair and green eyes. I’d feel the same way you did if his family made the same comment.

10 Likes
  1. Tell her to fuck off because you can’t choose what the baby would look like. If you could, that’d be one thing. Right now, that’s too advanced for science. 2. The baby is going to be beautiful no matter what. (There’s no such thing as an ugly baby). 3. Get what you get and you don’t throw a fit.

Well she’s not very bright. Blue eyes are a recessive gene. Two people with brown eyes can have a child with blue eyes. She’s very misinformed. Was he supposed to be with someone with blue eyes? I have brown eyes and kids father blue. One has brown and one blue.

Also- it doesn’t matter who says you should be offended or not offended. If it made you feel uneasy- that’s all the validation you need.

6 Likes

Run far away! If he cant see why that may be offensive and defends her, he probably will always defend her

2 Likes

I’m native two brown eye girls and a blued eye son genetics are weird . It’s his preference most of us are attractive to our mirror opposite. I love fair skin blue or green eyes and tall , I’m none of that.

3 Likes

Red flag. . I’d get out of there now monster in law

5 Likes