Am I over thinking this comment?

She’s upset her son ain’t with a white woman and therefore she won’t the pale eyed grandkids she wants from him. She ment exactly what she said. These people in these comments are slow af. If he ain’t trying to be understanding towards you about this then chances are he knows it’s wrong and doesn’t want to flat out say what he knows she ment by it so he’s playing dumb. My white mom was upset I liked white ppl cuz she wanted black grand babies. She said the same type of shit for years. Yall lying like a mf in these comments.

so you’re only talking to this man and she’s already bringing up grandkids? she sounds like she’d make a great mil :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

2 things to remember. If & when he ask you to marry him, You are marrying Him, not his momma.
And if he doesn’t care what his momma thinks, fine.
I know what you are going through!
My inlaws are Polish. They thought I was Trailer Trash. And we didn’t live in a trailer.
They said our marriage wouldn’t last. Well, let me tell you this, I proved those Pollocks WRONG! We will be married 44 years this June. I endured years of them talking about me in Polish ,in FRONT of ME! After all these years, I am her favorite daughter in law out of 4.

I am Hispanic married to a white guy lol. I can tell you it is A CRAP thing to say and I would be offended as well. I would however not give up on her or the guy over this. It’s prime opportunity to discuss and show her a culture she is unfamiliar with

3 Likes

It’s the beginning of more “comments”

2 Likes

I would have laughed and said "Guess not ". Chill !!

2 Likes

Run far away before there is kids involved… I would be offended by that too whether she meant it to be mean or not. If he doesn’t care about your feelings because of something his mom said then who knows what else he will take her side over yours. Sorry I just have ptsd from dealing with my ex and his mom and all the issues she caused, and him always siding with her.

3 Likes

It depends how it was said and if any other comments continue… but it’s probably just an innocent thought not meant in any way. Presumably she had previously just imagined little minis of her son when thinking of grandkids. She’s adjusting her picture…

My Mom thought the same thing. But eventually she got them.

1 Like

Both my parents have brown eyes and both my sister and I have blue eyes. I have blue eyes and my sons father has brown eyes yet our son has blue eyes. The blue eyes comes from my grandmother who was from Belgium. You not having blue eyes doesn’t mean your kids won’t. His mother is misinformed. It really boils down to insensitivity and a lack of knowledge on her part

2 Likes

I agree with him
BUT
she might be surprised - the laws of genetics have changed… she just MIGHT get some blue-eyed grandbabies :wink:

I’d be more upset that the boyfriend didnt find anything wrong with his mother’s comments. Be wary. He may be the mommas boy that always takes her side and never backs you up

2 Likes

Run. If he doesn’t defend you now, he never will. And by the way, somebody should inform her that you can still get blond hair and blue eyed grandchildren…although I can’t imagine why that matters to her.

3 Likes

Depends on her personality and how she said it. Is she a light hearted person who likes to joke around or is she a serious person who wouldn’t joke about that?

1 Like

Wait till she tells the kids she wishes they were blonde n blue! He won’t see anything wrong with that either

1 Like

My husband and I have very dark brown eyes and my oldest daughter has brown and my youngest blue. Not that it matters. I think that was a shitty comment for sure…borderline resist. And you said you just started talking to him and she is bring up grandkids?!? That’s a lot of iffyness for the beginning of a relationship. I’m not saying ditch him, just keep your eyes open.

That was a lousy thing to say. Ask her just what she meant by it and why was it important for her to say such a thing? Confront her, she needs to be called out on that one!

1 Like

You stated you have been “talking to” this man. Have you been dating? What makes his Mom think you are? Nothing from what I read here. She possibly said it in jest. Don’t over think it. If you notice more of this type of behavior as the relationship moves forward then have a serious talk with your man,

1 Like

Some mother in laws suck. Ig it’s just life

So first off fuck her :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: 2nd off my daughters bio father is Hispanic I am native he has brown eyes I have hazel my daughter has blue green eyes and blonde hair so F her my son dad had brown hair brown eyes and my son has crystal blue eyes and bleach blonde hair genetics aren’t black and white but even if you have beautiful brown hair brown eyed babies they would still perfect and on top of that yall haven’t even really been together all that long either :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: what would make her think thats ok to say just :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:🤦

Lol you are over thinking it WAY too much

1 Like

Honestly, bottom line, the comment shouldn’t of been made. That was rude on her part. Mother in laws really do live up to the monster in laws sometimes.

And tbh you could still have blue eyed kids

1 Like

Tell her to have another baby

1 Like

She don’t know crap about genetics then lol
I’m dark featured with brown eyes, brown hair, dark black eyebrows and eyelashes, my partner has green eyes, blonde hair and we are both fair skin. 1st kid came out with brown eyes and blonde hair and then her hair turned golden, 2nd kid came out with blue eyes, blonde hair and then his hair turned brown, 3rd kid turned out with blue eyes and blonde hair and still rocking it, we just waiting on what this 4th one is gonna look like in April :slightly_smiling_face:
My mum and brother have green eyes and my partners mum and dad have green eyes too so Duno how 2 of our kids ended up with blue eyes lol

My mom said the same thing. I’m married to a Hispanic. My response was nope, but you will love your grandchildren all the same.

It’s not her choice who her kids fall in love with. Or how her grandchildren coming out looking like. My sister also with a Hispanic have the most gorgeous tan skin and beautiful blue eyes. Don’t listen

It’s not about GENETICS!! Stop it already. This is obviously a micro aggression; this is racism. Ffs!!
You’re definitely NOT overthinking.

5 Likes

Well adopted children, browned husband. I’m the only one with blue eyes except for the dog
You don’t marry the eyes but the people

People are so dumb but im all about benefit of the doubt and sometimes people say things without realizing how they may come off. If you see a future with this dude than you should just be honest and direct about the subject. Better to know now than later.

I have brown eyes and my kids father has blue eyes. Needless to say both of our children have his bright blue eyes!

1 Like

You may or may not get the “blonde hair blue eye babies” I’m brown hair blue eyes partner is dark brown/black hazel eyes, yet we have 3children together 2 are red haired (comes from our parent’s genes) daughter has blue eyes red hair, son has hazel eyes red hair, then our youngest was dark hair born (now mousse brown/blonde) and blue eyes. Yes they are most definitely 100per cent my partners children.

She probably meant blue eyed like her son. I wouldn’t think a thing about it.

4 Likes

Oh honey I’m married to a Hispanic man and I can tell you that some parts of the family hated him and still hate him because of his skin color and his nationality he’s from Guatemala but that being said I have dark hair brown eyes my baby’s daddy’s which are different men both have dark hair one of them have brown eyes and one of them have blue eyes and both my daughters have dishwater blonde hair and blue eyes don’t judge him by his mother’s actions

It sounded almost racist to me.

That was ignorant because my mom is rican and dad is peruvian me and my siblings all came out w blue eyes so if she was implying spanish people can’t have blue eye babies then she’s def wrong

Men will never say anything bad about their mothers that’s just the way they are but I know where you’re coming from cuz I’ve been there

I’m disappointed I got blue eyes blonde/bald babys :rofl::rofl: I always wanted a dark skin dark long hair bright green eyed baby​:rofl:

2 Likes

Well she’s wrong there my husband and I have dark hair, he has brown eyes and I have green but our daughter is blonde haired and blue eyed just like his late father and aunt

Honestly, my first son’s dad is brown hair, brown eyed, and we have a blue eyed blonde. Dad is 5’9 I’m 5’10 Dad’s family is all really short, mine are tall…my kid 6’3 at 14yrs. I also have kids who are half Puerto Rican, their dad is darker with eyes so dark they almost look black and pitch black hair. (Naturally I’m blonde with blueish green eyes with some yellow (I have central heterochromia in both eyes) our boys have medium brown eyes dark/medium brown hair and one is a darker tan completion, where others are light light brown barely there til summer when they darken quickly

Blue and brown eyes are co-dominate so it’s still a possibility. I have one blue eyed kid and one brown eyed kid. My mom once made a comment that she always hoped none of us would have red hair bc my dad was born with red hair that turned black. For some reason that offended me as a child even though my hair was black :sweat_smile: I loved my dad and red hair. My kids father was born with blonde hair that turned brown and my son has pretty much had every color hair ever but it gets light and has a lot of red in it in the summer and tbh they both could have been born with hair as red as a clowns and my mom would have still been thrilled with them. Ppl get this idea of things in their heads but most times realize they were so wrong later on.

1 Like

Honestly I don’t see a problem on comment. I wanted my kids to have blue eyes like dad but they have my brown eyes, no big deal thou.

2 Likes

No I think u r over thinking this. That when u do decide to have children he could end up being the image of her son that she is so attached to. But yes to say what a beautiful girl would have been more appropriate

2 Likes

Your over thinking it in my opinion!

2 Likes

Just reply with “I guess you won’t hahahaha” and if it was meant to offend you that comment should offend her as well :rofl:

4 Likes

I would have said I would get them color contacts and then laughed at her.

Don’t think too far into it!

1 Like

Lmao she must not be familiar with genetics. Don’t sweat those smallminded comments. :kissing_heart: Her son likes the way you look…that’s what matters.

My brown haired husband and blue eyed me had a blue eyed baby boy. All of our grandchildren have brown eyes, though. Their mother has brown eyes. I love them all the same.

1 Like

Mommas boy ! Dump his ass pronto !

I can see why u might b offended or put off but u gotta choose ur battles carefully. Sometimes it’s best 2 overlook people’s ignorance. If it continues then yes definitely speak with her about it. Sometimes people just don’t think b4 they speak or realize how something might come across 2 another person. She might a meant no insult or she could b racist but time will tell

4 Likes

I do understand how you would feel BUT it is true. She will be thrilled with a grandchild and the both of you will be blessed. That is the bigger picture. Let it go. Love is powerful. Do not hang onto any negative energy. Be supportive of each other. ((Hugs))s

1 Like

Good bye boy. How does he not see the rac*sm? And by him NOT seeing it, that’s red flag right there about how he will always sidecwith moma. Sure, a healthy relationship with mom is great, he probably respects women from it. But, too much of that momma love for a grown man can really be overbearing … usually these types your dating a guy plus his momma … meh

6 Likes

Yeah, you might be overthinking…but mostly you’re being thin-skinned. I’m pretty sure any of us would have been momentarily before we thought through her remark. Sometimes we say things that come to our mind, but it doesn’t mean that they’re important thoughts. First of all, she made your relationship serious, and second of all, she remarked about blonde/blue eyes. Both are a bit premature. I’d get to know her and realize that she would love to have some darker skinned grandbabies if you both loved each other.

1 Like

By the sounds of it- you 2 would make beautiful babies!

Tell her she shouldn’t be too quick to say that. My husband has darker skin (his gran is African) has dark hair and dark eyes. I was born blonde hair and blue eyes and guess what - our son has blonde hair, pale skin and blue eyes just like his mummy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::ok_hand:.

2 Likes

She doesn’t know what the child/children will turn out! Comment she shouldn’t have made though.

I see nothing wrong with the comment

1 Like

I would end it right there. Sorry not sorry.

1 Like

I wouldn’t give it a second thought. My father had brown eyes and my mother blue. Even though brown is dominant, I am the only brown eyed child out if 4. My mom had the most beautiful blue eyes and I wished I had them but god decided to give me brown through genetic. You could also get brown eyes with two blue eyes parents thru your gene pool if both parents carry brown eyes Gene’s. She is just expressing she likes blue eyes and she would love her grandkids no matter what color their eyes are, even green.

1 Like

You’re over thinking it for sure and she doesn’t understand genetics to assume something like that off the bat.

1 Like

It’s a big deal and what she said is uncalled for. I use to use to hate when my grandma would say oh my blond hair blued eyes grandchildren a re coming over and they don’t even like her. Now my siblings and I are half Italian and Mexican I have hazel eyes brown hair my brother brown hair brown eyes my sister brown hair blue eyes. Colored eyes run in my Mexican side and Italian side also brown and blind hair. Fast forward my daughter and niece have dirty blond hair blue eyes. My hubby is Persian and Mexican and my sister bf is Mexican and white. Both father’s brown hair brown eyes. You have to call her out I did with my family raciest comments are never okay.

5 Likes

Say well not necessarily, my grandson is half Mexican and has blonde hair and blueish-green eyes. Dad is half Mexican, quarter white, quarter Chippewa and mom is full Mexican.

I don’t think she meant anything toward u. I think most ppl know usually the darker hair eyes skin dominates. She jus was saying you’ll probly dominate the genes. I wouldn’t take that personally darling

12 Likes

Or she thinks that you’re beautiful and the way her son talks about you, she sees him happy and can see you two settling down and that was her way of saying it. If you haven’t met her, I wouldn’t take it personally since you weren’t there to hear her tone. :wink:

4 Likes

yes, you’re overthinking.

4 Likes

Depends how she said it. My half Mexican son has reddish blonde hair and blue eyes.

I have a wonderful friend that is Puerto Rican and she married I believe a man with German ancestry… she herself would hope/joke that she was hoping for light hair and blue eyes…didn’t happen but her girls are gorgeous and loved!!!

It may have just been your dark eyes. I wouldn’t take it in a derogatory way. It isn’t like she said “I don’t want you seeing her.” It seems really innocent to me. She’s already got you having kids with him. I would not take it personally until you get to know everyone better. FYI, he may really be into you and told you about the comment to put feelers out or even find out what you think of having kids. No…I absolutely think you read to far into it.

1 Like

Over thinking it. My Mom has blue eyes with dirty blonde hair and married my dad with black hair and brown eyes. Both my sister and I ended up with brown hair and eyes. My sister then had two brown eyed brown haired boys. So I then marry a guy with blue eyes. Once we found out I was pregnant she told my husband I may actually get my blue eyed grand baby. It only matters to her. :woman_shrugging::wink:

It depends wjat kind of a person she is. She could have actually been disappointed about it or she could be an outgoing person who was saying it in a fun observant way. Don’t make a big deal out of it especially when you don’t know her.

May be that she recognized you as “the one”. If you’re wifey material she could be acknowledging it.

I don’t think she meant anything bad by it unless she continues to make comments along those lines

Watch her because she is comfortable making slick comments like that. She only said it because of your race. The ones who doesn’t see an issue with it is part of the PROBLEM. It’s no telling what she will say next. Correct the problem now

3 Likes

I would take it as she sees you guys starting a family but that you have dominate genes. I have hazel eyes and blonde hair and my husband has blue eyes brown hair. Our son has bleach blonde hair and the bluest eyes. Anything can happen. My sister in law is the only ginger I have ever seen in their family and she’s stunning…. It’s really luck if the draw! Keep your head up. I’m sure she didn’t mean anything I’ll by it, just noting your dominate traits

1 Like

it could’ve been more of a joke

3 Likes

It sounds rude, but she might have been thinking aloud about brown eyes being dominant over blue. If she does not say other thoughtless things, I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn’t let it bother me

1 Like

Idk I see it both ways… I mean I really wanted my daughter to have curly hair and it took 3 more babies to get one with curly hair. I also always wished my dads genes would pull through and give me a blue eyed baby but I sure don’t love any of my kids any less! I also really wanted my twins to be both boys but got one of each and I thanked God soooo many times for giving me my daughter (and my son of course). But that’s just me… some people are truly petty like a girl I know had triplets and COMPLETELY favors her blue eyed girl over her brown eyed boys!!! It’s sooo sad.

1 Like

I am blonde hair and blues eyes and my hubby is Hispanic with black hair and brown eyes. Together we have a blonde hair and blues child and a brown hit brown eyes child!

Depends on how she said it. Maybe she was joking? If you’re going to feel bothered by it then you need to have a conversation with her about it.

I’m looking through the comments and I see a lot of women who are Caucasian saying you’re overthinking it. These people aren’t you and you don’t need anyone validating your feelings on the subject. People will disagree or agree with you. I think if it bothers you, you should voice your discomfort.

11 Likes

You’re only talking to a guy and his mom has you making babies already? Hmmm. You might want to change the conversation

2 Likes

I think you’re projecting. She probably meant no harm. And was just being sarcastic because it’s her son and he likes you. It’s hard not to be self conscious but you need to know you’re great and be more confident in yourself.

3 Likes

Why did he even need to tell her that??
Serves no purpose but to upset her:(
Find A New Man!!

2 Likes

My brothers blonde headed And blue eyed and his wife is Asian with dark hair and dark eyes and we always (them, me, her family etc) say that the baby will have more of the mother’s features and we can’t wait to see the beautiful baby they create.
My son was born with blue eyes and my brother said “Awh I’ll never have a little blue eyed mini me- our baby will definitely have her eyes” but just like acknowledging it not unsatisfied with the child he will have if that makes sense.
In my opinion she’s just acknowledging that your traits would be dominant which is correct.
Depends on her delivery though.

2 Likes

My ex has a darker complexion with brown eyes and I’m more fair with blue green eyes. Thought for sure he would be brown eyed. Our son has green eyes! It can still happen

don’t waste time on that comment.

1 Like

That is extremely insulting. It’s very clearly a dog at her not being accepting and it will most likely just get worse.

2 Likes

Her problem, not yours!

1 Like

She might not understand colorism. He doesn’t understand either 🥲 side note … y’all are only talking and she’s discussing grand kids :grimacing::grimacing:

3 Likes

Or…she sees you as marriage material too have a child with her son. Take the win and always be proud of who you are.

10 Likes

I see it as her saying she felt like she already sees that he likes you enough to probably make some babies, and her plans just went out the window.

5 Likes

She shouldn’t have said that. She should have had more respect and thought about your feelings but unless she says more I’d leave it alone. Maybe it was just a really bad joke.

3 Likes

She clearly flunked 7th grade science. That’s where I learned that 2 brown eyed people could still have a blue eyed baby. Also, I have brown eyes and black hair and my son was a blue eyed blonde when he was born. His hair gradually changed to dark brown but still blue eyed. It’s all about recessive genes. The blue eyed gene is recessive in me from my dad and it came out in my son. Same with my brothers daughter. He has brown eyes and his daughter is blue eyed. Brown is generally dominant and blue recessive. My mom had brown eyes my dad had blue all three of their children are brown eyed and both of their grandchildren are blue eyed.

5 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, when my sisters second daughter was born with blue eyes my mom made the comment “I’m never gonna get my big brown eyed grand baby! :rofl::rofl: I think you may be reading a little too much into it. Being Hispanic you’re probably used to being on the defensive because I’m sure you’ve been discriminated against plenty of times.

9 Likes

Color means nothing. My husband nd I both have dark brown eyes and both our kids have bright blue eyes. Maybe she just has a thing for blue eyes and not as a slam to anyone.

1 Like

I agree it’s insulting. But I am blind haired blue eyed. My boyfriend is half Mexican half Indonesian and some Native American in there. So needless to say he is tan dark hair dark eyes. And our son has blue eyes . Shitty comment but genetics are crazy

Who cares- my grandpa always said all he ever wanted was a brown eyed, brown hair grandchild. We are all pretty light completed and blue/green eyes. He loved us all and was just proud of his heritage. It was never an insult. We made a joke of it as we grew up and all told him we would marry a Puerto Rican or Mexican to make up for our parents lack of care for his input.

They don’t always have I’ll intentions. I had the best grandpa in the world and he never made us feel less.

1 Like

The way I see this is that “you just talk tot his guy” and his mom is already seeing you guys having kids well to me she accepted you girl. That s a good point. I see why you could feel a bit hurt by that comment but she probably did not say it in a mean way. Why looking for the bad things?

9 Likes

It was wrong of her to say that… BUT everyone above is correct, that could be taken as a compliment. See she could have been ruder (althought that was already rude) it still shows she accepted you. Even if it wasnt in an appropriate context, it wasnt completely a diss… I could see how it would make you uncomfortable but she knows her son well enough to know he likes you enough and it may be a possability. Although… her grandbaby can still have blue eyes, or brown its 50/50. I have a mixed baby and i wished shed have my blue eyes so bad, she didnt she has tje most beautiful chocolate brown eyes ive ever sewn in my life! I feel horrible for ever wishing her eyes diffeent than they are now. I am sure she will think the same because she didnt say anything completly racial. Shes gonna love her grandbabys no matter what. I can tell that by her comment although not the smartest choice of words.