Am I overreacting about my boyfriend not letting me drive his car?

Some guys (and women) are really particular about their cars. Especially a Vette. Don’t sweat it. Although, I probably would get upset if my child specifically asked for it for a special thing and he said no. One day for his child wouldn’t hurt.

1 Like

i wouldn’t care at all

Men are weird about their cars

Bugger that, I’d just take it!!:rofl: its for the kids, his kids to start with! Sounds like your boyfriend is a bit selfish!!

2 Likes

I don’t drive my partners car, but also I don’t want to and he’d not miss their graduation so out kids would go in his car anyway…

Been with my dude for 16 years and he doesn’t let me drive his truck, but will drive my jeep :woman_shrugging:t4: doesn’t bother me

3 Likes

Did you talk to him and ask him for a legitimate reason why? If he won’t give you one besides “because he said so” then tell him kindly you’d like for him to pay to rent one for a few hours then because it’s selfish.

I wouldn’t stand for it

I get cars being like babies. But it’s 1 time and it’s for his kid. I’d be pissed too.

No, he’s being weird

If you help pay, you get to play :heart:

2 Likes

Maybe I’m the minority here but I’ve had a few vehicles that I’ve never allowed anyone else to drive but myself. In fact I even drove myself to give birth in one of my cars with my kids dad in the passenger seat. I feel like not everything in a relationship requires sharing. Your husband really likes his car, it must be important to him. I’m a car girl I can relate. Besides if something were to happen to his car while you had it, would you really want to face all that drama of it being your fault?

4 Likes

He should for his kid atleast

1 Like

Yea, you can drive your own.

4 Likes

The people in this group astonish me…are you overreacting? Yea you are…is he an asshole…yea. But the guy has pride in his car. I’m assuming he’s probably a car guy. And you said convertible so I’m assuming it’s a sports car. Respect the man. If My wife wanted to drive my Hyundai I’d say no problem but if I still had my 71 challenger then no she wouldn’t be driving it. And yes she respects my wishes. Why? Because I respect hers. Like above it says “he’s a narcissist leave him”. What??? The dude holds pride in something and wants to care for it and protect it. Or maybe the dude just wants something that’s “his”. Just drop it and move on.

Of I was my husband I wouldn’t let me drive the nice car either :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Absolutely not. It’s not even for you, it’s for the kid. We just got a new sports car, I’ll give him it’s our first new new (not pre owned) vehicle, but he tried balking about me driving it “too much”. That didn’t last lol. But, he would never tell our kids no unless it wasn’t possible.

He’s being a jerk, it’s all about the kids.

3 Likes

How often does he actually drive ur van? Honestly I have a wrangler and if my spouse drove a van and wanted to “trade for a day” I would say hell no also for the kid or not lol. If I wanted a van I would have gotten one. He drives his vehicle and ill drive mine… No tradsies :joy::rofl:

5 Likes

He’s. a. Jerk. But. If. It’s. His. Car. Men. Are. Weird. When. It. Comes to. Their. Ride
Maybe. Get. The. Child. Ask. ,

2 Likes

Lol, take the keys while he is asleep n leave early … hahaha

3 Likes

That’s ridiculous. He needs to grow up.

2 Likes

Know one drives my truck but me been married 45 years this year

Yeah I’m with your boyfriend on this one. Granted my husband lets me drive his truck when needed, and it’s usually because we HAVE to trade cars for the day. Other than that, I don’t even let my husband drive my car.

3 Likes

Start refusing him the van. Explain to kids daddy isn’t sharing well and as a result you can’t drive the convertible.

3 Likes

Mini van means kids, most of the time. Sounds like to me somebody doesn’t know about you and your children, and he’s not about to let his precious “single cool guy” car in your hands for anybody else to find out about his extras

9 Likes

12 years, 2 kids *common law married in some states !!!
CANT (:thinking:)
drive the car for special occasion -for shared children !!!
:triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post:

9 Likes

Kids wouldn’t be getting near my convertible either! No way! :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Don’t let him drives yours ever again period

It’s just one day, come on… !! U have a relationship, Kids, something fishy… ??
What a lack of trust… and no compassion for the boys feeling…
Pulling a Will Smith… is he always, controlling… selfish…???
Im on ur side… :rage::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

He has a convertible :triangular_flag_on_post:

13 Likes

That’s him being selfish :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

I know the feeling. My last husband had a Sunfire. My car had given up the ghost 2 years before and I hadn’t been able to afford to replace it. It was a 1998 Camry. It was 2018. My then husband didn’t let me take the car anywhere by myself unless he was sending me to Little Caesar’s for pizza. That’s the only way I could take the car. He would let me drive because his vision wasn’t the best, but he would constantly scream and swear at me the whole time, like I didn’t know how to drive. Truth is, I was a far better driver than he was. But he would yell and cuss at me anyway. He even started to do that at the house. One day he told me to just take my stuff and go if I was going to be stupid. So I called my daughter and we got everything we could carry right then and I left. He spent that night on the phone threatening to put my furniture and stuff outside in the rain if I didn’t get it out. I told him I would get it as soon as I got a truck. Finally his step-son moved me out. Cost me $85. But I got out. Then he made me pay for the divorce. $921 later, I’m a free woman and have my maiden name back. I’ll never get married again!

1 Like

You are not over reacting

Way past time to let him go

1 Like

I mean, why would he drive yours if you’re not allowed to drive his ? It’s not like you’re taking it for a joy ride, it’s for your kids parade. I wouldn’t let him touch my car if I couldn’t use his for one thing

1 Like

I’d be mad. Your asking 1 day for your kid to use it not to take it daily. I’d be pissed also

I’d be pissed…but then again I’m a good driver with a great record so my husband let’s me drive his stuff anytime even if it’s just for fun. Without knowing how you drive I can’t say if you are justified in being upset or not. If you have been driving a while and are known as a good driver then you have every right to be upset but if you haven’t been driving long or have had accidents in the past or tons of tickets then I’d say he has the right to say no

I’d be aggravated. Rent a car if money allows.

1 Like

Men and their cars, yes I think he’s being selfish. You’ve been together for a long time and unless you’ve wrecked a ton of cars in that time he needs to get over himself it’s just a cool car. And if he wants to be like that he wouldn’t be driving my car anymore. And if you were married that car regardless of whether or not was just in his name would also be yours. My ex tried to pull this on me, said the vehicles were in his name and I wasn’t allowed any say or anything about them. Yeah in our divorce I was awarded half of blue book value on them since he sold them without my permission before the divorce finalized. Didn’t matter only his name was on the title.

2 Likes

12 years and he won’t let you drive his car ! Time to trade him in xxx

12 Likes

What’s need to drive yours having his own vehicle :woman_facepalming:t3: stop allowing him to drive yours when ever he wants as he has his own car :tipping_hand_woman:t3:

6 Likes

Hell no you’re not overreacting. Go get the car. Make him look stupid af at his job when you go in to trade keys. What an ass hat.

Sorry to say this but your man is selfish AF

5 Likes

You are completely justified in your anger. That’s very one-sided. The convertible belongs to both of you equally. I’m mad for you lol

1 Like

We’ve been together 11 yrs and what’s his is mine and mine is his. We have 3 amazing littles. He works and I stay home and we discuss what to get instead of just spending. The same when I was working. We have never done the “it’s mine”

2 Likes

I don’t know his reasoning for why not. Is it a manual or hard to drive? If not I would not be happy.

That’s some B.S.
You should rent a car like a gal said before.

4 Likes

Scared your going to prang it . Can understand that if it’s a very special car but in this instance it’s a special
Occasion so if he won’t let you drive it ask him to pay for limmozene

Sounds kinda douchey :eyes:

2 Likes

12 years and she still calls him boyfriend :flushed: Nikita Waho

5 Likes

Do you crash cars? Do you hit curbs? Do you have a tendency to have a lot of mechanical failures? I wouldn’t want my husband driving my car if he was a bad driver… we’ve been together 14 years. I drive 95% of the time we go out together.

3 Likes

Have you asked why he won’t let you drive it? Does the van only have the car and booster seats? Is it a stick? Is there some sort of mechanical issue? Does he drive the kids in it? Does he smoke in it and doesn’t want to expose y’all? Does he work far away and the new car gets good mileage?

If his reason is I just don’t want to let you borrow it. Do you live together? Are there things you won’t let him use of yours? Have you discussed it with him calmly?

1 Like

Dont let him drive your car then.

2 Likes

My boyfriend got a new car and its almost like it’s mine because I drive it all the time lol I’m preggo and new car has ac, sounds like he’s being a dick

Not only is he not letting you drive, he is letting his kid down.

5 Likes

Next time he needs the van is gonna suck. :person_shrugging:t2:

He is just a dick!!!

Honestly, if I had a new convertible and my SO wanted to drive it in a parade with a bunch of kids and they had never driven it before, I probably would say “No”. The liability if someone were to get injured is just too high.

4 Likes

Don’t let him use yours again.

Because it’s the girlfriends car :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Selfish I think, he is either afraid u will wreck it or he don’t want the kids to make messes in it u ask me, n I wouldn’t let him drive mine either

1 Like

Some men are like that about their toys. It’s new to him go and rent a convertible if it’s that important.

That’s crap. It isn’t even for you it is for your child.

2 Likes

Most men have cars that are their precious babies. They are entitled to do that… Don’t let him drive your car then. Just because you do something does not mean you should expect someone to do it in return. If you say you don’t own things special to you that you don’t want people touching, then Im gonna find that real hard to believe.

2 Likes

I don’t like my husband using my pickup truck. I’m very particular about it. He owns a construction business so sometimes he does need it as opposed to his work vans. But I’m not happy about it.
I also don’t let my kids eat in my car or anything so maybe it’s just me. It was expensive. It’s customized. I like it. Kids will eat nuggets and wipe their greasy ass hands everywhere and the smell will linger forever. It drives me nuts.

I don’t let my baby daddy drive my car. We’ve been together 11 years :woman_shrugging::joy: and definitely wouldn’t let my convertible around a bunch of kids. they like to touch and scratch stuff so I could see why.

4 Likes

No your not he is being petty

Did you ask why he won’t let you drive it? You said new car new to him or brand new? Does he think you are a bad driver? Are you not covered on his insurance? He may have very good reasons to say no with out more information I think you may be overreacting.

1 Like

That’s how it is in our house, BUT, I have a suv and he has a high performance challenger. My car was $13000 his was way more, and he knows how I drive, soooooo, I understand you being mad about it, and at times, it makes me mad too, but if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn’t let me touch my expensive ass car I only got to drive on weekends and is garage kept :joy: maybe talk to your mate and let him know how you feel and give him a chance to explain why you can’t/ haven’t been able to drive his car.

NTA. :woman_facepalming: what a child.

1 Like

I would NOT let my brand new car in a parade with a ton of kids… I see where he’s coming from. If it were a different scenario maybe. But I totally get why he doesn’t want it in a parade without him

4 Likes

Are you on his insurance and is driving in a parade covered on it (probably not)? I’m an insurance agent so definitely huge liability concerns with this.

1 Like

It is for HIS daughter and he said no?! WTF!

I get it in one way, however he could make an exception for this event if insurance purposes allow. Especially if you’re a safe driver. I’m the first to admit I’m a bad driver, I personally won’t drive my man’s nice car but he gets weird about me driving it anyways. I have mine (a “mom mobile” and a nicer one when I’m kid free) and he has his. Maybe his car is his toy, like special possession. I see both sides.

No not overreacting. My ex never let me drive his car or truck but my now husband gave me the keys to all of his and I can drive them as I please. I guess it depends on the man.

if that is the only thing that pisses you off about him, … then relax. I will also agree with the above comment about the insurance coverage

I’m with him on this one, but I’m also a car person and I’m super picky about who I let drive me around in general, but definitely about who drives my cars, especially if it’s a brand new car. I also drive for a living, people drive like crap, don’t pay attention and don’t care about you or your vehicles. Minivans and convertibles are entirely different to drive, so if you aren’t used to it, and you already said you have never driven it, I wouldn’t let you either, especially not to a parade where a ton of kids will be.

2 Likes

No kids in a convertible

No one drives my truck but me. :woman_shrugging: idc the circumstances. I also wouldn’t put my car into a parade so I get where he’s coming from.

2 Likes

You’re not overreacting, I’ve had a similar situation with my boyfriend. YOUR FEELINGS ARE VALID

All the above. In less he is the driver. My husband and I agree on this one.

1 Like

Let him have his one thing that’s HIS, everything else is probably about your family.
I don’t even like my man driving my lame camry, I surely wouldn’t be letting him take my nice new car without me either…but that’s just me I guess

1 Like

Think he values his car more than the family.

11 Likes

I’m sorry but no materialistc thing would be more important than my family and my partner of 6 years agrees. That’s bull :poop:

2 Likes

No comment. He shouldn’t say no for his kid. However I wouldn’t drive it. Murphy’s law dictates bad outcome

2 Likes

Ummm my husband would have flat tires and a broken windshield… we both have access to all vehicles whenever we want. For ONE DAY, for YOUR CHILD, won’t ruin the damn car

Are you overreacting…no…after 12 years…your being used and are in a one sided relationship if you can’t tell him no…12 years of living together, paying bills, it’s community property, why haven’t you told him no he can’t drive yours and what do you drive when he has yours…when you get the chance, take the keys and drive the mother…******…it’s half yours…

Stop letting him drive the van. If he can’t let you drive his car he can’t drive yours. Equality baby :joy:
Hell. If I had my dream car, no matter how much I love the damn car, if my kids want it in a parade to show off ya damn rights my beauty of a car going if it’s making my kids happy.
Give him the ultimatum of taking the day off work to drive it, or letting you drive it. Cause putting a silly car above family is just dumb.

I’d like to see my fiancé try and tell me I wasn’t allowed to drive his car. :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Insurance covers the vehicle, not just the driver. He’s disrespectful. 12 years and 2 kids later and you still don’t have a ring and he won’t let you touch his car? Girl, get some self respect.

3 Likes

I can’t believe he’d say no when it would mean so much to his daughter. Sounds like that’s his car to show off in.

12 years and no ring? What else is he holding back?

1 Like

Yep! That’s his car! I wouldn’t let anyone drive my nice sports car either. Let it go and take the mini van.

4 Likes

Honey if you have been with him for 12 years anything that is his is your and Vice versa. I would be mad! 

2 Likes

No you’re not. He doesn’t want people to see you in that car. I would find out what that dude is doing

5 Likes

Hs priorities are outta wack… I don’t think this is a crazy situation but I would be hurt and frustrated and think less of him ppersonally.

Kids or no kids…Is he making payments? Has he put a ton of money into it? I am super picky about who drives my vehicles. Mainly no one drives them except me and that includes my boyfriend. I drive his SUV all the time though because I am the better driver.

2 Likes

If he’s making all the payments and you aren’t on the insurance I can see why, but other than that after 12 years of being together I think it’s wrong of him to not let you drive it.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t take a nice convertible to a parade. But you should be able to.

1 Like